• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Traveling across Midland with Nina has to be the greatest burden though.

Is it still? No reference has ever been made to it since. Then again, I suppose it's like the Lost Children chapter in that way, just a neat side story that develops Guts as a character. I personally liked the DC game, was my first exposure to the series. And if nothing else, it gave us more wonderful Hirasawa music in the form of Niko, A Sister's Story (two really underrated Berserk music for complete opposite reasons), Zoddo II (Zodd's theme, basically). Also, Indra and Forces 2 are great pieces of music.
Allegedly. Though I have a hard time kind of placing it where it is supposed to go. Doesn't quite seem to work.

Wow, didn't know there was a Berserk thread. Just started reading earlier this year and growing my collection. Anyone know if there are plans to release vol 38? When they do I hope we get some reprints, cause this was not a good time to start collecting. $200 vol 16
=<

My brother (who doesn't really read the series but is familiar with it because of me) had a very interesting thought from an "outsider's" perspective.

He recently read the most recent chapter and when it looked like they may replay the events of the Eclipse in Casca's mind went, "what if Casca fights him in her mind to get her memory back?"

Now I'm thinking how disappointed I'll be if this didn't happen. It would be an awesome return (or merge) of her personality if she got to directly conquer the one responsible, even in only in a dream since obviously Casca's no match for Griffith or Femto.

Zolo

My brother (who doesn't really read the series but is familiar with it because of me) had a very interesting thought from an "outsider's" perspective.

He recently read the most recent chapter and when it looked like they may replay the events of the Eclipse in Casca's mind went, "what if Casca fights him in her mind to get her memory back?"

Now I'm thinking how disappointed I'll be if this didn't happen. It would be an awesome return (or merge) of her personality if she got to directly conquer the one responsible, even in only in a dream since obviously Casca's no match for Griffith or Femto.

I actually thought the same thing myself. People talk about Farnese and Schierke being traumatized from seeing the eclipse, but I don't see that at all. The reason it left its mark on Guts and Casca is because the event was personal to them, It was their friends they lost, them who was branded, and mostly, the person they respected most who betrayed them.

While there are other factors, I do think part of the reason for Casca's state is partly being unable to accept that Griffith who she loved and respected did something so horrible both to her and everyone else. It may also explain why she reacts to Griffith like she did in the appearances they were in together. There's also always been an emphasis on the ability to hate Griffith which is something that Guts asked Rickart directly.

In this way, I do think part of Casca's return will involve having to realize how far Griffith fell and what he did. It'd also be cool if we got a scene of her killing him (symbolically) to signify her finally accepting Griffith's fall, but we'll see how things go.

1QKhY8zl.jpg

NDkagQml.jpg

These are all the scans from presumably chapter 348 from the Guide Book (click on the scans to see them at a better resolution). From what I can make out....it looks as if Schierke and Farnese are on a deserted battlefield with a famished looking horse carrying a coffin with a chain that has The Band of the Hawk's crest on it. You can also see ghostly robed figures with what look to be spears, which perhaps morphed from the rags on the poles?

Inside the coffin is obviously a broken Casca (or maybe a broken Guts - it seems to have an eye missing and it only has one arm) who looks like a doll. Then we see what looks to be the Moonlight Child, but apparently it's not. According to the text, it says "the thing in the abyss of Casca." So maybe it's the key to bringing back Casca! Then we see the other characters having what looks quite possibly like a banquet with both Manifico and Puck doing chores, and then we see Guts by himself reflecting on the situation with a stern face. The conclusion of this post?
I NEED NEW CHAPTERS, RIGHT NOW!!!

Kieli

Wow, didn't know there was a Berserk thread. Just started reading earlier this year and growing my collection. Anyone know if there are plans to release vol 38? When they do I hope we get some reprints, cause this was not a good time to start collecting. $200 vol 16
=<

Almost half of the volumes are out of stock. And 5 of them are out of print. No clue why Dark Horse isn't taking advantage of the anime to catch some sales.

Oh wait, the anime being what it is....... yeah, I'm not surprised.

Moonkid

Exactly my point. It would have been fantastic to see it that way or maybe combine that and what Tricky I Shadow so that these scribbles would gradually turn into realistic pictures as they try to heal her, basically fixing Casca's sanity piece by piece.
I'm all for surreal abstractions, Muira is an artist after all. He's already flexed the medium with the second to last page, I'd like to see him go all the way and really break it down to even just individual lines and shapes.

Now I want a Lego Berserk game.

A Lego Berserk movie!

Darkness
No Parents!
The opposite of light
Black hole
Curtains drawn
In the basement
Middle of the night
Blacked-out windows
Other places that are dark
Black suit
Black Coffee

Creepy Birdman
Stole my girl
Darkness
In one eye

Now I'm imagining Will Arnett voicing Guts...

*Grunbeld turns into a giant crystal fucking dragon*
tumblr_nahh7dl6mX1twe13wo1_500.gif

I think we have a pitch guys, somebody get Miura on the phone!!

Tomorrow news will read:

"Miura announces Berserk manga hiatus untill 2022 to focus on Berserk Lego movie due out in 2021."

We did it guys!!!!

Now we must run for our lives

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I think we have a pitch guys, somebody get Miura on the phone!!

Tomorrow news will read:

"Miura announces Berserk manga hiatus untill 2022 to focus on Berserk Lego movie due out in 2021."

We did it guys!!!!

Now we must run for our lives

My Little Pony Berserk Edition is really whats going to light the world on fire. GriffithShy, Twilight Casca and AppleGuts are going to sell like gang busters.

Almost half of the volumes are out of stock. And 5 of them are out of print. No clue why Dark Horse isn't taking advantage of the anime to catch some sales.

Oh wait, the anime being what it is....... yeah, I'm not surprised.

Well I am holding out hope that there will be a reprint next year, since we have the second season of the anime and a new game as well. It appears I got into this series the wrong year.

1QKhY8zl.jpg

NDkagQml.jpg

These are all the scans from presumably chapter 348 from the Guide Book (click on the scans to see them at a better resolution). From what I can make out....it looks as if Schierke and Farnese are on a deserted battlefield with a famished looking horse carrying a coffin with a chain that has The Band of the Hawk's crest on it. You can also see ghostly robed figures with what look to be spears, which perhaps morphed from the rags on the poles?

Inside the coffin is obviously a broken Casca (or maybe a broken Guts - it seems to have an eye missing and it only has one arm) who looks like a doll. Then we see what looks to be the Moonlight Child, but apparently it's not. According to the text, it says "the thing in the abyss of Casca." So maybe it's the key to bringing back Casca! Then we see the other characters having what looks quite possibly like a banquet with both Manifico and Puck doing chores, and then we see Guts by himself reflecting on the situation with a stern face. The conclusion of this post?
I NEED NEW CHAPTERS, RIGHT NOW!!!

So, looking back at this, I think that horse might actually be a dog, which more than likely symbolises Guts struggling to carry a broken Casca.

I really love how the doll representing Casca in the coffin has half her head shattered to show her broken mind. I adore symbolic stuff like that.

I posted this in the Arts & Farts thread a few days ago, but for those that don't venture to those parts:

I did a re-read last week and had an itch to draw something Berserk and test out some pens/markers I bought.

As you can probably tell, it's not something I did on my own but an image of Guts from the start of the Troll arc, I think -- since I was just testing stuff I wanted some easy reference, and I really love Miura's style.

I posted this in the Arts & Farts thread a few days ago, but for those that don't venture to those parts:

I did a re-read last week and had an itch to draw something Berserk and test out some pens/markers I bought.

As you can probably tell, it's not something I did on my own but an image of Guts from the start of the Troll arc, I think -- since I was just testing stuff I wanted some easy reference, and I really love Miura's style.
Great job! Wish I had just a shred of artistic talent.

I guess you can take over Berserk if Miura can't finish it

Tizoc

Excellent work mate

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Excellent work.

Damn that's nice.

Top Bottom