• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Well, that's the big mystery.

We know it was always Griffith's dream to have his own kingdom and now he literally is the savior of the world who united humankind and apostles and has changed the world and induced a golden age within his lands.

He has what he wanted. Why he was allowed to get it and what he is going to do with it is anyone's guess.

Yeah I don't really understand the big plan here. It seems like there's no plan at all.

Griffith's plan is not the godhand's plan. that one is a bit different:
Prophecy said:
"On that day, a dying sun rose above the multitude of nations. As written in the Book of Revelations, when the sun has died five times, a red lake will emerge to the west of a city with a name both new and old. It will be a sign that the fifth angel has descended upon this world. The angel is the Hawk of Darkness. He is the master of the sinful black sheep and the king of the blind white sheep. He will usher in an age of darkness to cover the world.".

Griff is in the process of ushering the age of darkness.

As for the big plan... well, we have received hints that Void already sacrificed a whole city once before, and miura did say that the key word, as far as the god hand's plans were concerned, was Void.

Veelk

Banned
Griffith's plan is not the godhand's plan. that one is a bit different:

Griff is in the process of ushering the age of darkness.

As for the big plan... well, we have received hints that Void already sacrificed a whole city once before, and miura did say that the key word, as far as the god hand's plans were concerned, was Void.

That doesn't really tell us anything except that Bad Shit™ has happened and will happen again. That much is blatantly, hilariously obvious.

Anything beyond that, including whether it's something that Griffith is knowingly participating in or just trying to about the dream he had as a mortal, is too vague to make any assumptions over. All it tells us is that Griffith's return is a sign of bad things to come (which is like saying water is wet in berserk), nothing about his intentions.

Too late, couldn't help myself. XD I caught up with everything.

Interesting developments at the end. Does the nature of
Elfhelm
mean that
several years or decades will have gone by when they leave it?

I'm also not entirely sure on Griffith/Femto's endgame here. What's the point of all this, and what's the point for the Godhand?

I can hardly blame you for reading through it so fast. Once you start Berserk it's so hard to put it back down. I remember when I was reading through it I found it so hard to stop after a volume. Now that I've caught up, I'm glad I took it slowly. I went through volumes 29-37 faster than I should have, but other than that I did well LOL.

When they do get off Elfhelm time will indeed have moved more quickly. If I were to guess, I'd say about 5 years will have passed. Nothing overly long so we get detached from the story, but just enough to see that Falconia and everything surrounding it have become a mess. I think Griffith's true colours will have surfaced and I wouldn't be surprised to see the God Hand right by his side. Things are about to get very ugly! As for Griffith's endgame? Who really knows? Maybe it's as simple as world dominance and to make the God Hand exist and be more influential in the physical realm? Him turning on the God Hand for dominance is a real possibility too.

Numb

AGBOD6Q.png

BRB, using imagination since HIATUS
Literally everyone shits their pants who sees what's in her mind

Zolo

lol @ Guts

Flower Queen: The people most suited to conduct the ritual are ones with strong ties to the subject.
Guts: Oh. Well, then I'll..
Flower Queen: The girl clings to the blonde woman.
Guts: Oh. Okay. Well, I'll come too...
Flower Queen: She doesn't like you.
Guts: :(

I can hardly blame you for reading through it so fast. Once you start Berserk it's so hard to put it back down. I remember when I was reading through it I found it so hard to stop after a volume. Now that I've caught up, I'm glad I took it slowly. I went through volumes 29-37 faster than I should have, but other than that I did well LOL.

When they do get off Elfhelm time will indeed have moved more quickly. If I were to guess, I'd say about 5 years will have passed. Nothing overly long so we get detached from the story, but just enough to see that Falconia and everything surrounding it have become a mess. I think Griffith's true colours will have surfaced and I wouldn't be surprised to see the God Hand right by his side. Things are about to get very ugly! As for Griffith's endgame? Who really knows? Maybe it's as simple as world dominance and to make the God Hand exist and be more influential in the physical realm? Him turning on the God Hand for dominance is a real possibility too.
Anybody here remember that Gargoyles episode where they're in some sort of apocalyptic alternate future? I'm thinking it'll be something like that by the time Guts returns.
lol @ Guts

Flower Queen: The people most suited to conduct the ritual are ones with strong ties to the subject.
Guts: Oh. Well, then I'll..
Flower Queen: The girl clings to the blonde woman.
Guts: Oh. Okay. Well, I'll come too...
Flower Queen: She doesn't like you.
Guts: :(
Dat friendzoning cause of mind rape proximity. That shit killed me. She'll probably be dating Farnese when her mind returns. Like would you really want to go back to men after what Griffith did to her? "Griff wat dafuq stahp!" "Can't mah dweam!!"

Man what if Casca gets her mind back and then swears revenge. She'd be like;

"C'mon let's go."

"Where are we going?"

"Cutting that fucker's dick off, that's where we're going."

Femto and the rest of the Godhand, they are all executors of Idea's plan. What is that plan? Nobody can tell but we know that "God was created by man", so it always made sense to me that humanity will be very involved in that process.

Obeying the essence of humankind I weave every man's destiny

Considering Femto has been reshaping the world and this will have major implications on humanity, I feel something might arise from that new order.

As for the individual objective of each member of the God Hand, again who knows? Void seems to be the central piece though.

mcz117chief

I'm not quite sure (I'd have to go check it) but I think she only saw glimpses of what happened not the entirety of the Eclipse.

/e/: well it's a bit more than glimpses.

I am much more interested, however, how Casca's demented vision of the Eclipse will look like. The style that Miura is going with here looks phenomenal and a nice break from the somewhat boring photorealistic stuff we have been seeing lately.

I've ordered two Guide Books.
Let us know how text heavy they are. If they're mostly artwork, I may get one.

Playing Guts Rage for DC for the first time since I was in high school. I enjoy it a lot more now that I am actually familiar with the source.

And man I love all the Puck animations on the VMU
Yes, pixel puck is amazing. I played it late last year and enjoyed the experience...mostly. The end game really sucks, though. Zodd is also a really tough fight, but at least you don't have to wait too long to jump back in after a game over.

I am much more interested, however, how Casca's demented vision of the Eclipse will look like. The style that Miura is going with here looks phenomenal and a nice break from the somewhat boring photorealistic stuff we have been seeing lately.

I could be completely way off....but I got the impression when reading the chapter that the reason why the style had changed was because it was only the surface layers of Casca's consciousness, and once they go deeper the style will change back to normal. It's going to be a really dramatic moment, and I'd probably rather not see such a serious moment drawn like a kids drawing. Then again - once Schierke and Farnese heal Casca, the style changing from scribbles back to normal over a few pages could be a pretty great effect!

Let us know how text heavy they are. If they're mostly artwork, I may get one.

I will do! Like I'd said before, it looks really promising if those scans I posted are anything to go by. I thought I'd order two, one to look through and the other to put away. I was actually going to wait and see if it'll eventually get translated to English, but I have a feeling it won't. It'll probably become rare too so I decided to take them while I still could.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing the events of the eclipse done as a series of scribbles. It'd be a rather interesting look at the events, besides we've seen them drawn seriously countless times as it is now.

mcz117chief

It's going to be a really dramatic moment, and I'd probably rather not see such a serious moment drawn like a kids drawing.

We have already seen that dramatic event many times and I think seeing it from demented Casca's point of view as a bizarre, twisted and completely unrealistic horror scene would be amazing.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing the events of the eclipse done as a series of scribbles. It'd be a rather interesting look at the events, besides we've seen them drawn seriously countless times as it is now.

Exactly my point. It would have been fantastic to see it that way or maybe combine that and what Tricky I Shadow so that these scribbles would gradually turn into realistic pictures as they try to heal her, basically fixing Casca's sanity piece by piece.

Snaku

Banned

First CDs I've bought in at least a decade. They're beautiful. Gorgeous packaging all around, and they're both musical perfection. Haven't seen Shin Godzilla yet, but if it's anywhere near as good as the score it'll be magical.

Dahbomb

The passage of time in Elfhelm may lead to some interesting things.

Imagine if 216+ years have passed when they all come back. That would mean that it would be time for a new Godhand as that's when the Egg of the King appears. We might have another super eclipse again. Also for those that don't know... 216 is that number becuase 6 x 6 x 6 = 216 aka the devil numbers. MIND BLOWN!

Probably won't happen but it's nice to wonder.

mcz117chief

The passage of time in Elfhelm may lead to some interesting things.

Imagine if 216+ years have passed when they all come back. That would mean that it would be time for a new Godhand as that's when the Egg of the King appears. We might have another super eclipse again. Also for those that don't know... 216 is that number becuase 6 x 6 x 6 = 216 aka the devil numbers. MIND BLOWN!

Probably won't happen but it's nice to wonder.

Nah, that's way too much and honestly I don't think there will be another Eclipse ever again, God Hand has 5 members, 5 fingers of a hand so I think the house is full for the moment. I am certain that Rickert will play a crucial role in the coming story. He is travelling to the Kushan ninja mountain fortress to learn all their stuff so he will probably be rocking helicopters or something by the time the gang comes back.

Nah, that's way too much and honestly I don't think there will be another Eclipse ever again, God Hand has 5 members, 5 fingers of a hand so I think the house is full for the moment. I am certain that Rickert will play a crucial role in the coming story. He is travelling to the Kushan ninja mountain fortress to learn all their stuff so he will probably be rocking helicopters or something by the time the gang comes back.
Rickert will have a steam punk mech similar to something from Escaflowne.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Almost time for badass Casca to come back!
Casca.gif

I'm really curious how she is going to react, in Chapter of the Flowers of Oblivion when she regains her sanity due to the Mandragora, she said it felt like waking from a bad dream. She was also happy to see Guts.

Rowena

Neo Member
Coming back from Japan tomorrow and I've picked up an extra Guidebook that was just released. 20$ Shipped. If I need to move this to Buy/Sell thread let me know and erase post. Just wanting to help any Bersek Fan here.

Coming back from Japan tomorrow and I've picked up an extra Guidebook that was just released. 20$ Shipped. If I need to move this to Buy/Sell thread let me know and erase post. Just wanting to help any Bersek Fan here.

I'm gonna presume it won't be $20 shipped to Estonia.

The Susumu album is really the bomb. It's impossible for me to visually look at Berserk without associating it with his sound space. With the series, the dc game, the ps2, the single for the movies and this we already have quite a library of sounds.

It's very very funny how the fuck they used Ash Crow in the anime.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well that episode was a cocktease and can't say I'm surprised by the Hiatus. Miura seems to pump out 5 or 6 chapters then go on a break. At least they give us a definite period and it isn't just,"Till next time". Seriously though I think the funniest thing is that people I never see talk about Berserk come out of the woodwork to shitpost about Idol Master or the Boatride whenever another hiatus pops up.

Tizoc

I'm really curious how she is going to react, in Chapter of the Flowers of Oblivion when she regains her sanity due to the Mandragora, she said it felt like waking from a bad dream. She was also happy to see Guts.
Wait wut
When did that happen o_O

It seems there's images of the next episode in the guidebook so it's obvious the hiatus is for commercial reasons. Or at least we know he is always working (which is something he said he is always doing) .

HStallion

It seems there's images of the next episode in the guidebook so it's obvious the hiatus is for commercial reasons. Or at least we know he is always working (which is something he said he is always doing) .

Well Miura doesn't at all seem like the G.R.R. Martin. We barely ever see or hear from him directly and its not like he's going to tons of book signings or doing interviews left and right or posting all kinds of stuff on twitter, etc. The guy seems to live to work.

Well Miura doesn't at all seem like the G.R.R. Martin. We barely ever see or hear from him directly and its not like he's going to tons of book signings or doing interviews left and right or posting all kinds of stuff on twitter, etc. The guy seems to live to work.
Nor does he have a family, though even Araki churns stuff out as a family man so that wouldn't be an excuse...Kishi does too, but it's not like it's quality work any how.

HStallion

Nor does he have a family, though even Araki churns stuff out as a family man so that wouldn't be an excuse...Kishi does too, but it's not like it's quality work any how.

He'd probably just put his family to work on Berserk. No maternity leave in the Miura household, you push that baby out and then he's chaining you back to the drawing table.

When he had a more steady schedule release

"I get up at seven or eight in the evening. I start to work at eight-thirty or nine. After some work, I eat and start again. The next break comes at three to three-thirty. At six in the morning I eat my last meal of the day (day?!) after which I work until midday. When there's a lot to do, I work until two or three in the afternoon. I live like a vampire, but I often think I am cut out to be a comic writer as few others are: I don't have any problem with a hard life without vacations, because it's orderly, but I have trouble concentrating during difficult periods."

I'm not a he.

And yeah, the DC game, which was written by Miura and is canon.

Is it still? No reference has ever been made to it since. Then again, I suppose it's like the Lost Children chapter in that way, just a neat side story that develops Guts as a character. I personally liked the DC game, was my first exposure to the series. And if nothing else, it gave us more wonderful Hirasawa music in the form of Niko, A Sister's Story (two really underrated Berserk music for complete opposite reasons), Zoddo II (Zodd's theme, basically). Also, Indra and Forces 2 are great pieces of music.

Top Bottom