• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best documentary films/series of the decade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Zachary was an emotional story, but it wasn't very good as a film. Very manipulative

also Waltz with Bashir isnt exactly a documentary. Its an animated reimagining of factual events that happened to Israeli soldiers that submitted their story, with the director's own personal experience woven in. Excellent film

maliedoo said:
Epic win.

planet_earth-1.jpg

Best Nature Doc for sure.

Also, Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room is a must watch for anybody.

eggandI

Banned
Kestastrophe said:
Dear Zachary was an emotional story, but it wasn't very good as a film. Very manipulative
Yes I was just about to post this. I thought Dear Zachary was kind of exploitive tbh. The way a lot of those shots were handled and information was delivered.. it just seemed like the director was trying to get the absolute maximum emotional effect out of the parent's grief to make his film more interesting/marketable.

cartoon_soldier said:
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room is a must watch for anybody.
It is a good movie, but I think people that read the book will be disappointed in the movie due to some key omissions. Mainly, Rebecca Mark isn't in the movie at all

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Anything NOT Man on Wire

Dear God, what an overhyped boring, abrasive documentary. If the films objective was to make me hate that bubbly, child-like Frenchmen, it succeeded.

DeepFriedMuppet

Neo Member
I totally agree with most of these lists, but wanted to add a few that haven't been mentioned.

Word Wars: A brilliantly entertaining film about professional Scrabble players. Imagine Spellbound, only with word obsessed and socially inept middle aged men instead of charming kids and you're partly there.

Kasparov and the Machine: An extended (read: padded out to feature length) version of a BBC documentary on the war between Grand Master Gary Kasparov and IBM's two chess playing computers.

45365: A more esoteric documentary about a pair of filmmakers' hometown. Made up of overheard conversations and distant, almost voyeuristic camera shots, it's got the feel of an early Errol Morris if no one directly addressed the camera.

Ross Kemp in Afghanistan: Powerful and humbling Sky TV series about British troops fighting in Afghanistan.

Manufacturing Dissent - Uncovering Michael Moore: For those of you that don't like Michael Moore, here's a bunch of evidence to support your opinion as a group of filmmakers find their attempts to land an interview with the big man himself scuppered by his entourage.

Iron Maiden - Flight 666: Bit of a cheat as it's part concert film, but the telling of the band's piling their entire tour crew and equipment onto their own personal 747 jet (naturally flown by frontman Bruce Dickinson) so they can perform to passionate fans that have never had the opportunity to see them before is often really moving.

Chichikov

Man on Wire?
Really?
It's an amazing story, but an average movie at best (and I'm being kind to it).

And it's a shame Encounters At the End of the World doesn't get more recognition, it's a fucking masterpiece.

But even though there are quite a few entries I don't agree with, this list once again shows that we're in the golden age of documentaries; thank you digital cameras!

Fatalah

Chichikov said:
Man on Wire?
Really?
It's an amazing story, but an average movie at best (and I'm being kind to it).

You're crazy. They made a story about tight rope walking into one of the best "heist" movies of the decade. The fact that they pieced together 30 year old footage to tell a seamless story was incredible. It was as if the film was 30 years in the making.

Since you're hard on a movie I absolutely love, I'm looking forward to watching your recommendation. As I browse through Netflix, I have made the realization the documentary genre has become my favorite.

Chichikov said:
And it's a shame Encounters At the End of the World doesn't get more recognition, it's a fucking masterpiece.
I was about to say the same. I think it's much better than Grizzly Man, and I love me some Grizzly Man.
Applesauce said:
I have "The Union: The Business of Getting High" coming to me from Netflix later this week, I've heard nothing but good things about it - anyone ever seen it?
I didn't like it.

Watching it felt like reading a "should marijuana be legalized" GAF thread that only contained comments from the "pro"-camp. A lot of really weak arguments and redundant material. It's not completely without merit though.

Aswankster

Neo Member
Fatalah said:
You're crazy. They made a story about tight rope walking into one of the best "heist" movies of the decade. The fact that they pieced together 30 year old footage to tell a seamless story was incredible. It was as if the film was 30 years in the making.

Since you're hard on a movie I absolutely love, I'm looking forward to watching your recommendation. As I browse through Netflix, I have made the realization the documentary genre has become my favorite.
I thought most of the footage was restaged.

Chichikov

Fatalah said:

Seamless?
That movie was half reenactment (which rarely have a place in a documentary).
I've found the movie to be uninspired, which is sad, since it's telling a truly inspiring story.
It's such a by-the-numbers film, talking head, talking head, archival footage, talking head, talking head, reenactment.
(by the way, I don't think it's a bad movie, the subject matter is good enough to carry it into a worthwhile territory for me, I just don't think it's *that* good of a movie, certainly not Academy Award good, and for sure not best film of the decade good.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy Encounters, it's a phenomenal movie (though I'm a Herzog fanboy, so take my opinion about his films with a grain of salt).
Danne-Danger said:
I was about to same the same. I think it's much better than Grizzly Man, and I love me some Grizzly Man.
I wholeheartedly agree on both accounts.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Am I the only that really liked Deliver Us from Evil? The Devil and Daniel Johnston is still my favorite documentary of the decade mostly because of growing up and hearing all these tall tales and then seeing the documentary, finding out all these tall tales turned out to be true. It was pretty awesome. The Devil and Daniel Johnston has been the only documentary that I was following since it was in the infant stages of development too. Once I heard the guy who did the Half Japanese documentary was doing this, I got super excited. I used to email the director too to see how it was progressing.

element

I watched It Might Get Loud a couple nights ago. I thought it was great. Jimmy Page is a god.

The Devil and Daniel Johnston is excellent.
Helvetica is great for type feaks like me.
Anvil: The Story of Anvil is really probably the best rock documentary in years.
Planet Earth (BBC Version). nuff said.

avaya

Another GOLDMINE of a thread from subzero. There is a lot of stuff in here I would want to watch again, simply forgot about.

My personal favourite of the decade is probably Planet Earth since you will watch it again and again and again.

tjohn86

ahoyhoy said:
Anything NOT Man on Wire

Dear God, what an overhyped boring, abrasive documentary. If the films objective was to make me hate that bubbly, child-like Frenchmen, it succeeded.

Exactly. Why do people like this documentary?

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Dark Days

Filmmaker dude stays/lives with homeless people who stay under Penn Station down underground, erect makeshift houses, and follows their daily lives. With a cool soundtrack by DJ Shadow (often used as a selling point). Totally awesome, one of the best if not the best I've ever seen. Guaranteed free of David Attenwhat'shisface and any hotsy-totsy Oscar buzz!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Days_(documentary)

T Dawg

Banned
Grizzly Man and King of Kong are both shit.

Long Way Round was the best TV one. Bowling For Columbine the best movie one.

Fatalah

lobdale said:
Dark Days

Filmmaker dude stays/lives with homeless people who stay under Penn Station down underground, erect makeshift houses, and follows their daily lives. With a cool soundtrack by DJ Shadow (often used as a selling point). Totally awesome, one of the best if not the best I've ever seen. Guaranteed free of David Attenwhat'shisface and any hotsy-totsy Oscar buzz!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Days_(documentary)

I always wonder where the people featured in the movie are now. Plus I want to know if the underground town still exists! An *update* is needed!

Fatalah

Aswankster said:
I thought most of the footage was restaged.

I'm referring to the footage taken in the 1970's, while they were in the planning stages. And the footage of him and his friends gallivanting in a field.

For anyone into movies, I found channel Z to be rather interesting. Haven't seen it in a while so I can't go into much detail, I usually don't re watch docs but this one was really good and another vote for Dig! and I also recommend Gonzo:The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson.

I guess I just love to hear about crazy individuals that are so far removed from everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom