• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S2 |OT| The Truth Is Just A Point Of View - Mondays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

TVexperto

I am a little bit confused

1) Why did he not want to take the job?
2) Why does he not work in the same law firm where his brother works? Why did they want him to accept to work for another unrelated firm?
3) Why did he take the job in the end?
4) Also why is he getting his own car, office etc.?

Did I miss something inbetween seasons?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

2) Why does he not work in the same law firm where his brother works? Why did they want him to accept to work for another unrelated firm?

He only wanted the job to impress Kim, when she told him the job didn't factor into her decision on whether they would get together or not, he left.

His brother was an asshole to him and didn't even want to work with him.

He took the job because he believes that's what Kim wants for him, regardless of what she says.

He did good work on a multi-million dollar deal, and he comes with a good recommendation from a highly respected lawyer.

With 1) and 3), I'm sure his motivations will become clearer as the season goes on.

For 2) and 4), rewatch the final two episodes of season one.

2)
Jimmy DID want to work at his brother's law firm. Very much so. But his brother, Chuck, had secretly been conspiring to keep him out. He regarded Jimmy as a fake lawyer with a fifth-rate law degree and an unrepentant conman.

4)
Jimmy brought HHM a multi-million dollar class action suit that grew so large that HHM had to pass it off onto a larger law firm.

His brother was an asshole to him and didn't even want to work with him.

It's not that simple. Chuck may have been a bit harsh when the truth finally came out that he was the one conspiring to keep Jimmy out of HHM, and not Howard, but he isn't completely wrong. Jimmy's conman days are not a thing of his distant past, and he almost immediately resumes it following their falling out. Chuck knows Jimmy better than Howard or Kim. It's hard for me to totally view Chuck as the villain in Jimmy's life.

They were almost as expensive as a whole PC back then, so doubtful a law firm would be handing them out, even to partners.

I was pricing them out for trade show kiosks back then and you were looking at 700-800 for tiny 15" ones.
You were getting mugged off then.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/lcd-monitor-prices-to-stabilise-in-2003/

The typical street price is currently just under £280, while for some brands such as Samsung and Philips, it is closer to £240.

Converted for the rate on the article publish date that works out at roughly $375, and given it mentions that is the street price it will be inclusive of sales tax which was 17.5%, so take that off and you're looking at $320.

Vlad

It's not that simple. Chuck may have been a bit harsh when the truth finally came out that he was the one conspiring to keep Jimmy out of HHM, and not Howard, but he isn't completely wrong. Jimmy's conman days are not a thing of his distant past, and he almost immediately resumes it following their falling out. Chuck knows Jimmy better than Howard or Kim. It's hard for me to totally view Chuck as the villain in Jimmy's life.

No sense spoiler tagging this, since it's long since aired.

Actually, he was entirely wrong. Keep in mind that while we did see Jimmy do some shady stuff in the series, like the billboard stunt and the attempt to trick the Kettlemans into hiring him with the skateboarders, he would never have had to do any of that if Chuck weren't working against him at HHM. From what we saw, he really was trying to play by the rules, and Chuck was even encouraging him to do the public defender cases so that he could build experience, all the while actively working against him. The only reason that Jimmy backslid in Switch was because he learned that his brother had been twisting the knife in his back for quite a long time.

No sense spoiler tagging this, since it's long since aired.

Actually, he was entirely wrong. Keep in mind that while we did see Jimmy do some shady stuff in the series, like the billboard stunt and the attempt to trick the Kettlemans into hiring him with the skateboarders, he would never have had to do any of that if Chuck weren't working against him at HHM. From what we saw, he really was trying to play by the rules, and Chuck was even encouraging him to do the public defender cases so that he could build experience, all the while actively working against him. The only reason that Jimmy backslid in Switch was because he learned that his brother had been twisting the knife in his back for quite a long time.

Not only all of those things too, but his trip to Chicago and his petty scams at the hotel this past episode.

Chuck was wrong to have been so duplicitous in keeping Jimmy out of HHM and forcing Howard to play the bad guy. Chuck wasn't entirely wrong for wanting to keep Jimmy out of HHM, though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
But Jimmy went back to his con man days because Chuck wouldn't give him a chance and denied him the opportunity to be a more productive lawyer.

Sure that doesn't absolve Jimmy of responsibility for his own actions, but Chuck is completely scummy as well.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Not only all of those things too, but his trip to Chicago and his petty scams at the hotel this past episode.

Chuck was wrong to have been so duplicitous in keeping Jimmy out of HHM and forcing Howard to play the bad guy. Chuck wasn't entirely wrong for wanting to keep Jimmy out of HHM, though.

There's not really any indication that Jimmy did anything to warrant that kind of treatment from Chuck during the period where he was working in the mail room through the point where he passed the bar. It was nothing but Chuck's preconceptions (which may have been warranted initially, but not subsequently imo) and his own sense of jealousy over how liked Jimmy is in comparison to him/how things were seeming to fall into place for Jimmy so "easily" (in his eyes).

There's not really any indication that Jimmy did anything to warrant that kind of treatment from Chuck during the period where he was working in the mail room through the point where he passed the bar. It was nothing but Chuck's preconceptions (which may have been warranted initially, but not subsequently imo) and his own sense of jealousy over how liked Jimmy is in comparison to him/how things were seeming to fall into place for Jimmy so "easily" (in his eyes).

Sure, as the viewer we don't know everything about what the character (Chuck) knows about the other (Jimmy) and his continued scams. Chuck showed he had hints, though, like the billboard stunt.

As the viewer we do know how dark the path Jimmy McGill eventually goes down in Breaking Bad and by that point just sympathy alone for being left out of his brother's law firm can't account for everything he did. Eventually in the show it'll probably come to light that Chuck's skepticism of Jimmy wasn't entirely misplaced.

Sure, there's a good amount of jealousy and resentment on Chuck's part unfairly influencing his decision. I think I only really waded into this argument because Chuck gets painted as a traditional, unambiguous villain in the show for denying Jimmy a spot in his law firm when his reasoning is much more complicated.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
We know for a fact that the Cinnabon scenes take place after Breaking Bad because:

1. in the cold open of the first season's premier, we see Gene / Saul / Jimmy wistfully watching old Saul Goodman ads from when he was presumably at his peak

2. it's obvious

3. they literally tell us

Walpurgis

Banned
Did the switch activate Walt's cancer?
giphy.gif

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I throughly enjoyed that first episode. It did a really good job as a premier. One of the things I love about this show is how tense it feels ALL THE TIME. It's chillingly awesome.

I think most of these have been discussed in the thread already, but just in case...

- Warming Glow: Here Are Some Incredibly Cool Details You Might Have Missed From The Season 2 Premiere Of ‘Better Call Saul’

Skribe, Zafira Anejo, Officer Saxton, etc....

Also note that the Better Call Saul Insider podcast is back. This week:
Show Editors and Co-hosts Kelley Dixon and Chris McCaleb are joined by Vince Giligan (Creator, Exec Producer), Peter Gould (Creator, Exec Producer), Tom Schnauz (Writer / Director / Exec Producer), and Bob Odenkirk.

-griffy-

Banned
Just finished the podcast, it's great as usual. One fun tidbit is that the hummingbird in the establishing shot before Playuh and Nacho meet was a real hummingbird that just happened to fly into the shot, stop dead center, then fly out. They didn't even notice it on the day but caught it when reviewing footage for the edit.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Just finished the podcast, it's great as usual. One fun tidbit is that the humming bird in the establishing shot before Playuh and Nacho meet was a real hummingbird that just happened to fly into the shot, stop dead center, then fly out. They didn't even notice it on the day but caught it when reviewing footage for the edit.

That's pretty cool, I was wondering what was up with that.

abd

I am watching a re-airing right now and this seems to be a different edit as some scenes are shorter. If that means anything to anyone.

L.O.R.D

I'm guessing the switch did nothing - it's clearly an obedience test for new partners of the firm. :p

We just witnessed the death of Slippin' Jimmy and birth of Switchin' Jimmy.

i think this.
and that's why he didn't open the door when he got locked in in the mall, he didn't want all that repeats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom