• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S2 |OT| The Truth Is Just A Point Of View - Mondays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

taybul

Anyone know why he didn't shoot Tuco instead?

My guess is he didn't want to get caught up in a gang war (remember what he was mentioning about the Salamanca crew). He still managed to grant Nacho's request to an extent while being minimally involved.

What I didn't get in that episode was that whole ordeal with Mike's daughter-in-law. Not sure what she was trying to get out of that or why she had to lie about anything.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Nacho in season 1, actually I thought he was one of the weakest links, but I really liked him in this episode.

From what I've read, Nacho was supposed to have a bigger part last season, but the writers were liking the Jimmy story going at a slower pace, so he didn't show up as much.

I think what we're seeing now is what we would have seen last season.

-griffy-

Banned
So, Chuck and Jimmy's convo made me think, cause of Jimmy's offer to quit being a lawyer, and he specifically said something like "Jimmy McGill will never be a lawyer again." Which obviously brings to mind the inevitability of him becoming Saul Goodman, right? And the reason for that change.

I'm wondering now if he screws up bad enough as Jimmy McGill with his current job that he gets disbarred, whereby Jimmy McGill literally can't be a lawyer anymore, so he has to become Saul Goodman to continue being a lawyer on his own terms.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
So, Chuck and Jimmy's convo made me think, cause of Jimmy's offer to quit being a lawyer, and he specifically said something like "Jimmy McGill will never be a lawyer again." Which obviously brings to mind the inevitability of him becoming Saul Goodman, right? And the reason for that change.

I'm wondering now if he screws up bad enough as Jimmy McGill with his current job that he gets disbarred, whereby Jimmy McGill literally can't be a lawyer anymore, so he has to become Saul Goodman to continue being a lawyer on his own terms.

This was my same guess. Something happens they he messes up that big and needs to change his name. Maybe even he makes a deal with someone and that is why he changes his name.

I don't think he gets disbarred. He's still defending clients in ABQ, and they know him all over the courthouse. He can't just cop an alias and keep practicing.

-griffy-

Banned
I don't think he gets disbarred. He's still defending clients in ABQ, and they know him all over the courthouse. He can't just cop an alias and keep practicing.

Good point, he's already been on billboards as well so his face is known, in the legal community at the least. There was something about the specific language used by Jimmy in that scene though. I just looked up the scene and what he says is, if Chuck sets things right with Kim "I quit the law for good. No more Jimmy McGill, Esquire. POOF like he never even existed."

So maybe he continues to try to pull Chuck down to his level and get him to break the rules and "extort" Jimmy, and Jimmy comes through on his offer of Jimmy McGill poofing out of existence, only to come back as Saul Goodman and continue practicing law. He gets a win/win by forcing Chuck to get dirty while continuing to practice law on a technicality of his deal with Chuck.

MrBadger

It's a good thing Mike has so much plot armour or he would have ended up like No Doze. Best one of Season 2 so far, although I am feeling the disconnect between the stories. I'm so invested in Jimmy and Mike that I feel disappointed when it cuts away from one of them.

Also anybody still saying Chuck is the villain clearly isn't paying attention.

Ignoring the Breaking Bad paradox, he was right about the cartel getting involved if Tuco dies. Considering the Salamanca Twins from BrBa, I'd say he made the right call.

That was the same arms dealer that sold Walt that 38 snub right?

That actor plays a classic character from Deadwood.

This was a great episode. I dont think I remember BB telling us Mike was a Vietnam vet, that explains how he came to be so proficient at killing and maiming. Im gunna guess he was Special Forces, given his skill level in every type of combat.

So maybe he continues to try to pull Chuck down to his level and get him to break the rules and "extort" Jimmy, and Jimmy comes through on his offer of Jimmy McGill poofing out of existence, only to come back as Saul Goodman and continue practicing law. He gets a win/win by forcing Chuck to get dirty while continuing to practice law on a technicality of his deal with Chuck.

They're certainly teasing that, even if it doesn't go down that way. It was no mistake that Jimmy worded it that way.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Until we see evidence otherwise, here are my main operating theories and resulting questions for the show.

[ ] Jimmy eventually changes his name to Saul Goodman after either being asked / forced / shamed into doing so by his brother. My guess is he makes a promise to never practice law as a McGill again (based on this episode!) and keeps that promise by changing his name. Does anyone disagree that his brother is at the heart of the name change?

[ ] Nacho is definitely killed. Whether by Gus or Tuco or some other Salamanca, who knows. Is there any question?

[ ] The real question is what happens to Kim. Is she killed? Does she move? Are they estranged once he changes his name / shames her career? The reason this is so compelling is because if she's alive, suddenly we have more hope for those scenes in the post-BB world.

[ ] What's funny to me is that both of Mike's major arcs over the first two seasons have been far more compelling, what do we really need to know? We know something goes screwy and he becomes no half measures guy who isn't queasy about dead bodies.

[ ] Expected future cameos: I definitely think we'll see Jesse since we're already starting to fill out the criminal underworld with minor players like Krazy 8. Gus seems like a lock. Who else will we definitely see?

[ ] At this show's current burn rate, I wouldn't be shocked if they wrapped it up after 3 seasons. Obviously I'm hoping for more as I think there's a lot lot more to dig into.

Agree on the name change and the reason.

Disagree on Nacho. He might be killed, but Saul mentions him in his debut in Breaking Bad. Eitehr he's alive, he's dead but Jimmy doesn't know, or he's dead btu Jimmy thinks he may have sent killers for him.

Agreed that Kim's fate is interesting.

Chase17

Really good episode. The show is so good. Looking forward to seeing where it goes. The slow burn with Jimmy works very well.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Mila Kunis needs to pay her rent again.
Wot

I can't understand questions like this. Mike very, very clearly explains to Nacho why he thinks it's a bad idea. He spells it out explicitly. What more do you want?

Disagree on Nacho. He might be killed, but Saul mentions him in his debut in Breaking Bad.
Wow, really? Got a full quote? I wonder if he's just like, namedropping people and they retconned that name into a character in BSC or something. Interesting.

Xevren

Wot

I can't understand questions like this. Mike very, very clearly explains to Nacho why he thinks it's a bad idea. He spells it out explicitly. What more do you want?

Wow, really? Got a full quote? I wonder if he's just like, namedropping people and they retconned that name into a character in BSC or something. Interesting.

It's when Walt and Jesse bring Saul out and have his head bagged, he guesses who it is and his first guess is Ignacio.

And beaten with a link to the scene in question lol

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Haha nice. Damn I really need to rewatch BB one of these days.

So it's what I thought, he's namedropping someone and they probably retconned that name into a character. :)

Bear

It's when Walt and Jesse bring Saul out and have his head bagged, he guesses who it is and his first guess is Ignacio.

And beaten with a link to the scene in question lol

Actually, he thinks that someone named Lalo is after him, he just blames Ignacio for...whatever it was.

BTM

As someone who hasn't watched Breaking Bad (yet), this show is top notch. I guess it'll give me different perspective when I watch BB for the first time.

Brakke

Banned
Yeah this whole Mike and Jimmy thing is hitting more and more weird. The two guys were totally on unrelated threads this episode? Not one overlap?

Jimmy v Chuck was great as always.

As someone who hasn't watched Breaking Bad (yet), this show is top notch. I guess it'll give me different perspective when I watch BB for the first time.

The joys of the one are pretty much entirely disjoint with the joys of the other. Both are extremely well executed versions of what they are tho.

this_guy

Just for reference, I found Breaking Bad slow until Saul Goodman showed up in the latter half of season 2. From there till the end of the series the show is great. And I watched Breaking Bad years ago not after Better Call Saul began.

HoodWinked

when mike accepted the deal initially to take out tuco i just figured he would fail to kill him since the paradox didnt expect what actually happened.

did anyone immediately realize that the boxing gloves jewelry would be tuco's from just the opening?

GavinGT

Banned
What I didn't get in that episode was that whole ordeal with Mike's daughter-in-law. Not sure what she was trying to get out of that or why she had to lie about anything.

I don't think she was necessarily lying. Maybe she's just paranoid and mistook some other sound for gunshots.

I don't feel mad at Chuck anymore, he's completely right through and through. It's easy to call him an asshole for his attitude, but he's been putting up with Jimmy's shit forever so why should he be soft on him?

My only problem with Chuck is that he didn't tell Jimmy off earlier instead of having the dude be his butler all the while he was job-blocking him. I still don't feel like Jimmy would have miraculously gotten better if Chuck wasn't keeping him from getting a lawyer job. He definitely would have fucked it up bad judging how the dumbass somehow didn't see an issue with pushing a such a predatory ad in the companies's name onto airwaves without approval.

And damn Mike, getting $25,000 just for getting your ass beat. I want that job.

Apoc29

Jimmy is cool and all, but I'm not tuning in every week to watch Better Call Saul...I'm tuning in to watch the Adventures of Motherfuckin' Mike.

DJMicLuv

I thought Chuck had a 'no watch' policy. Keys, watch and phones. But he's wearing one when he's laying on the couch. Did I get it wrong about watches?

NotLiquid

So does Tuco forgive Mike in Breaking Bad, or do they never meet?

Doesn't seem like they necessarily meet again since Tuco is only said to be running the streets after Krazy-8 kicks the bucket. I feel like the only reason this subplot was here was to write Tuco out of the show after the fact that they brought him up in the first place as Nacho's boss. I only see them having a run-in if Gus comes back into the picture.

Servbot24

Banned
I think Gus has a good chance of showing up, maybe not this season, but possibly next.

Hoping for some Badger, Pete and Combo too.

I'll be really surprised if Jesse shows up though.

"You are such an asshole."
"Why? For saying she shouldn't believe in you?"

Wow, Chuck continues to be a shit.

He's just waiting for Jimmy to get fired.

And then when Jimmy says he'll quit? Chuck can't accept that because it's not someone else fucking Jimmy over. He has to make it about him. Jimmy must want him to do a felony.

Chuck's probably the most well-written villain because he's the most human.

Daffy Duck

Good point, he's already been on billboards as well so his face is known, in the legal community at the least. There was something about the specific language used by Jimmy in that scene though. I just looked up the scene and what he says is, if Chuck sets things right with Kim "I quit the law for good. No more Jimmy McGill, Esquire. POOF like he never even existed."

This is my guess too, the language he used made it so he could do the whole technicality thing on chuck and be Saul and stick two fingers to Chuck.

Alpende

I was with Chuck this time and thought he was right. Other than that I really dug the episode. Mike continues to be a badass and it was great seeing Tuco again. I didn't realize it was Krazy 8 in that scene so it was cool to see how that character started out and turned into Krazy 8 since Tuco is gone and locked up.

MrBadger

I was with Chuck this time and thought he was right. Other than that I really dug the episode. Mike continues to be a badass and it was great seeing Tuco again. I didn't realize it was Krazy 8 in that scene so it was cool to see how that character started out and turned into Krazy 8 since Tuco is gone and locked up.

He was totally right. Jimmy screwed Kim over directly after she told him anything bad he does reflects badly on her, then went to Chuck expecting him to just erase his mistake, even though it wasn't even Chuck who punished her. It's great how we're seeing more and more of Chuck's point of view after his meltdown in S1. He's a much deeper character than just a villain who wants to sabotage Jimmy because he's jealous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom