• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S2 |OT| The Truth Is Just A Point Of View - Mondays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's probably a true story. But Chuck was playing the fuck out of Kim there.
Jimmy always said Chuck despised him but Kim never believed it. I wonder if she finally believed Jimmy there or if Chuck was getting to her. Hard to read.

Also Mike knows he basically has no choice.

Wow. Seeing all these characters before BB gives some nice perspective on how powerful a corkscrew Heisenberg was. He practically turned all these people upside down.
and got half of them killed lol

Wow. Seeing all these characters before BB gives some nice perspective on how powerful a corkscrew Heisenberg was. He practically turned all these people upside down.
and got half of them killed lol
This show is making breaking bad seem even better in hindsight. What am insane series of events that show is.

This stands on its own as well. I just want to fast forward to next Monday.

Geg

I loved the scene between Chuck and Kim. It complicates the Jimmy/Chuck relationship even more and makes it hard to tell which one of them is telling the truth. Is Jimmy right and Chuck is manipulating Kim against him or is Jimmy just paranoid and Chuck is sincerely trying to help her?

Jimmy always said Chuck despised him but Kim never believed it. I wonder if she finally believed Jimmy there or if Chuck was getting to her. Hard to read.

I'm thinking she maybe realizes that Jimmy was right. Chuck is kind of obsessed with him.

Man, I loved that friggen end scene with Mike and Tio. You hang on every single word and facial gesture. So awesome.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't think Chuck is wrong about Jimmy at all. He might be a little jealous at how easily people fall in love with Jimmy, but he also legitimately gets annoyed with the fact that no one sees the real Jimmy the way he does. He has to politely hold back the truth about Jimmy over all these years while everyone Jimmy gets close to gets burned.

I didn't get the impression that he was playing Kim at all. I think that was the point of showing us the conversation with Howard before that. "So I guess she's out of the doghouse, then?" Even Chuck couldn't believe that Howard was still holding Kim back. Chuck really isn't the enemy here. He's just the only one who can see Jimmy accurately.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I didn't get the impression that he was playing Kim at all. I think that was the point of showing us the conversation with Howard before that. "So I guess she's out of the doghouse, then?" Even Chuck couldn't believe that Howard was still holding Kim back. Chuck really isn't the enemy here. He's just the only one who can see Jimmy accurately.

Which is sad, because it seems like Jimmy wants to do good with Chuck, but Chuck outright says: "You're not clean, and you have no clue why." Which is what pisses Jimmy off.

This show is so amazing. Seeing characters like Hector before his wheelchair days is so fucking great.

There's just so many questions that eventually bridge over to Mike becoming Head of Security for Gus, and Jimmy becoming Saul.

I honestly feel like this will end up better than Breaking Bad, just because of how fantastic the contrast between Jimmy's story and Mike's story is. On top of that, we have all these awesome characters from B.B who get to be at their prime in BCS, AND we have the flash forward.

That story about Jimmy's dad was really something. You can't help but feel for Chuck. How could you not resent Jimmy after a story like that?

Veelk

Banned
One thing I appreciate about the series is that it's keeping to it's character development.

The first episode of this season, I legitimately thought they were backtracking. After Jimmy pulled his "It's never going to stop me ever again" having him go back to lawyering for a big firm seemed like they'd changed their minds. Jimmy was going to have to play by the rules again, and now he has less reason to break them.

But that's not whats happening. Jimmy of season 1 was looking for approval, he wanted to be validated by Chuck and essentially any other big name lawyer firm. That's why he didn't take the money. He's a guy who grew up swindling people, optimistic to the point of rationalizing any moral failing as a minor fault. For a lot of situations that works, and it's why people like him, and is even why he has a lot of his success with a lawyer.

But all this was balanced by his desire to work within the system to get that validation from his brother and his colleagues. Ironically, Chuck has successfully uprooted that desire with that conversation he had with Jimmy in season 1, which was supplanted by Marco. He's now idealizing his freedom rather than the idea of getting recognition from his peers, which is causing all the problems it is now.

Jimmy seems to just lack of a fundamental moral compass when it comes to the law. He's not a bad person, as he often goes out of his way to be nice to people with no gain. He didn't take the money in S1, not because he himself had moral compulsions about it, but because he knew Chuck did, and he knew Chuck was an honorable man, and he wanted to be like him even if he didn't understand why he did that sort of thing. And he wouldn't have had to if he was rewarded for his efforts at being a moral person. But the karma of the universe waited too long, and by the time he got the recognition he deserved for the good he did in season 1, he felt it was meaningless. He simply no longer cares about recognition, so his interests lie only in victory and cash, not in doing things the right way. But without using Chuck's morality as a reference point, he seems honestly baffled why people don't want him to break the rules. It's not just legal stuff like his attempted bribing in front of his Main associate, but also his dealing with Kim. She gets in trouble, so he says he's going to talk to Howard. She firmly tells him no, so he thinks "Well, she never said anything about Chuck!" Then he thinks he can help but having her sue her lawfirm over this disciplinary charge. He's all attack attack attack, because his first priority is getting results, without thinking of the collateral or long term consequences.

It's a beautiful tragedy. Jimmy only gets rewarded for his morality when he's no longer in a position to appreciate it or use it correctly. If Davis and Main had gotten to him just a day before the revelation of Chuck's betrayal, we'd have a totally different story. I thought they were going to backtrack, but they're running with it in full force. Good stuff.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It's time for Kim to break bad and melt Howard in a tub of acid.

[edit]

So I guess Chuck is jealous that Jimmy is good with people and he's a cum blanket. Fuck Chuck.

Sami+

Excellent episode. What's the song playing during Kim's phone call montage? Sounded like a Spanish cover of Frank Sinatra's My Way and I really dug it.

BBboy20

*hunched fedora dude walks in*
troyface3.gif

*gets closer to camera and speaks english with mexican accent*
H1zI16b.gif

*reveals to be Hector*
joaquin-phoenix-shock-signs.gif

First time i ever see Mike with the "i fucked up" face. EVER.
UsGsKMd.jpg

This show is making breaking bad seem even better in hindsight. What am insane series of events that show is.

This stands on its own as well. I just want to fast forward to next Monday.
Crazier part is that the showrunners admit they're making it up as they go along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom