• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S2 |OT| The Truth Is Just A Point Of View - Mondays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai101

Banned
I'm not sure what I was expecting with this series, but the law firm storyline combined with the slow BB style makes a super boring series to me. I'll stop watching, it's not for me.

Ok, chief.

(i think the age trutherism with the multiple child actresses is creepy and weird and we can easily overlook something they can't really control)

Seriously. Is not like this isn't something new to happen to child actors anyway.

I mean ...

KGGmMLE.png

Come on guys.

Good to know either way. Why unsurprisingly though? I thought it was losing a lot of momentum recently in the ratings?
The time-shifted numbers are very good and the show is critically acclaimed.
AMC PR said:
The Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould-created series has been a strong ratings performer, pulling in 2.7 million among 18-49s in delayed viewing for its Season 2 premiere on February 15. That was a 22% increase in L+3 over its Season 1 series debut. The Season 2 debut of Better Call Saul surged 83% in total viewers in L+3 to 4.7 million. The four episode live+3 ratings averages for Season 2 are 4.4 million viewers per episode, including 2.7 million adults 25-54 and 2.5 million adults 18-49.

For the most part, I agree. But I have to agree the Kim montage went on too long, and it was not necessary to have it twice. The purpose of the Kim montage scene was fulfilled long before the scene ended, making it superfluous.

Yup. Kinda got the point of it with the first montage. Having it go on and on, with no variation or escalation, made it edge a little too much towards "tedious".

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Wonder how long it'll take for Jimmy to fuck up so bad that the cartel is after him. That's probably end game since that's happening when we first meet him in BB but I'd hope that at least season 3 is mostly about all of that.

Kim's the best character, this episode only made that more clear. That "yes!" and the long stare after Howard tells her she's still in records were both perfect.

I love Kim, glad she seems to have a bigger role this season. Her celebration was adorable.

The cold open was entirely to demonstrate two conflicting theories the show WANTS you to have:

1. chuck is unreasonably jealous of his brother and doesn't understand his charisma;

vs.

2. only chuck can see through jimmy's con.

you're SUPPOSED to have this dissonance right now, that's completely intentional.

Both of these are furthered with the Chuck/Kim scene. You're supposed to question whether Chuck just knows Jimmy better than anyone or whether he'll do anything to try and undo his charisma. You're not supposed to know what he's doing because the show wants you to consider both.

Yep, I had the exact same thought after the ep. I'd imagine the actual answer is probably both to some degree.

Lothar

Banned
I'm not sure what I was expecting with this series, but the law firm storyline combined with the slow BB style makes a super boring series to me. I'll stop watching, it's not for me.

I'm going to keep watching for Mike. The law firm stuff is very very boring. I wish the show was just Mike scenes. Those feel like Breaking Bad.

Love love love the appearance of Hector, this is going exactly where I hoped it would.

So a question for the Breaking Bad experts in here.. which characters from BB are technically possible to appear? Keeping in mind that Gilligan and co seem to be doing this sparingly and where it feels natural, we've yet to see a cameo where it feels phoned in.

Not that I feel the show's success depends on BB callbacks (or foreshadowing I guess?) and I am very much of the opinion of this show standing on it's own. Like the producers have said, while it's tempting to have a character we know cross the street while Jimmy walks by or some shit, I'm asking from the point of view that it makes sense.
This is more just to satisfy my curiosity and such.

So we know that Saul helped out Emilio "like, twice". It's entirely possible that should the show go into Saul's career, we see one of these cases pan out. And seeing as this quote came from Jesse himself, this would be the most natural point for him to show up (if he does). Jesse and Saul don't go through any introductions, certainly not like Walt and Saul do, but it's safe to say that any interaction would be minimal, a passing meeting at best. (Perhaps he would be with his buddies Badger, Skinny Pete and Combo too.

We've already seen Krazy-8 with Tuco last week. At some point he separates himself from Tuco and distributes meth himself with Emilio. Krazy-8 was a DEA informant, to get the customers of the dealers that he rats out. At the start of BB he is the one that tells the DEA where Emilio and Jesse's meth lab is. Now this is probably going too far into BB territory and certainly too far away from Saul. But the reason I mention this is because of the DEA and their links to these characters prior to BB. Is it possible we could see Hank and Steve Gomez appear? I've only re-watched Saul's debut episode of Breaking Bad recently and I can't see a reason why Saul and these characters can't interact at least a little. Especially if Saul is Emilio's attorney.

With the mention of Hank, this links us to Marie. Ok, this is probably where it becomes a little gratuitous and forced but depending on how much Hank could potentially feature in an arc, that could give us good reason to see her. Let's not also forget that Marie is a criminal herself, with her kleptomania coming out when she's stressed. Again, would probably feel forced but seeing as Saul is a 'criminal' lawyer, could we see Marie pay him a visit?

And of course when we talk about Marie, it's only natural to talk about Skyler and Walt Jr.. This is where the train ends I think and it stops being Better Call Saul and becomes 'Breaking Bad: The Phantom Menace'. BB Experts feel free to chime in here but from my memory Skyler certainly has no history with Saul prior to their first meeting so the only reason I think she could appear is if there is some kind of family gathering at Hank's place and work invades his personal time (and thus cameos galore). It would be extremely difficult to pull this off without being distracting but if anyone can think of a way to do it, it would be these guys.

Then finally on this side of appearances would be the one and only Walter White. There's no getting around this one, outside of the situation mentioned above, Walter appearing would not be just a wink to the camera. Unless Better Call Saul goes beyond Saul and Walter's first meeting, and starts to run concurrently with BB (perhaps we see the shit Saul had to put up with while Walter was doing his thing) there's no way to do this tastefully. Personally I hope Better Call Saul ends with him finishing a case with one client, perhaps the end of an arc, and then the final words we hear are to do with 'a Mr Mayhew here to see you' 'Ok, send him in' and in walks Walter (Walter was disguised as Badger's father for those that are a bit rusty) - cut to black. That's how I'd do it anyway.

Before I get on to the Salamanca's, if we're going into Jimmy becoming Saul, a few worthy mentions should go to Francesca, his secretary in BB, Patrick, one of his henchmen, and Huell, his bodyguard. Francesca would be an easy one seeing as we know she used to work at the DMV, and could maybe replace Kim when things inevitably go south there? I forget if Huell and Patrick had history with Saul prior to BB, if so, then again, we could see how he came to get involved with those guys.

So these are a lot more likely than everyone mentioned after Hank as there's actually a precedent and reason to include them. We know from when Jesse and Walt kidnapped Saul that 'It wasn't me, it was Ignacio (Nacho), he's the one!' and then mentions the cartel as well. Nacho has got Mike involved with Tuco and by association Hector, it's only a matter of time before we see Gus. Gus and Mike have a very strong relationship prior to BB and someone needs to bring Mike out of that ticket booth and turn him into the cleaner we know. From BB, Gus has a clear hatred of Hector and gets his kicks from tormenting the old guy in his retirement home. There's no point trying to guess how this is all going to come together but if all this is on the cards then it's possible we'll see Victor, one of Gus' henchmen, and the Twin Cousins of Tuco - who are also Hector's grandsons (or nephew's, I forget).

So anyone who's a lot more brushed up on BB or has watched it recently and has a fresher memory, are there any flaws or obvious holes I've missed? Feel free to shut me down wherever necessary, and also add in anyone I've forgotten. Of course we might see smaller characters like we saw the cellphone douchebag in episode 1 of this Season (the guy whose car Walter blew up at the gas station in BB) the same gun dealer from BB and the police officer who called round Walter's house when Skyler wanted him to leave, but I'm just focusing on the big guns.

Just to re-iterate, this isn't some fan-wanting list where I'm saying I want to see this all happen, I just want to know what is possible within the limits of being tasteful.

Probably should have made this it's own thread but I felt it belonged better here. Hopefully the rest of this season will provide some more clues.

Was a great episode and so far it has been nothing but fun and interesting episodes. There's something about this show that I love so much. Not an awful lot happens and that's quite fine. I really enjoy the dialogues and the characters. The switching between Saul and Mike is great and we learn about other BB characters as well and I find it damn well done so far. Every week I look forward to new episodes of this show. I remember how skeptical I was when they announced this but boy did it turn out great.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Mike's story is beating the SHIT out of Jimmy's.

I get sad every time i remember that heisenberg ended up killing him : (

ColdPizza

Banned
I want to believe that the father gave Jimmy the money so he could go to that online Law School. He didnt say anything to protect Chuck's feeling because he so more potential in Jimmy.

The dinner scene showed how charismatic Jimmy was and how scared Chuck was of him. Chuck is just jealous and wants him to fail.

I'm sitting here thinking about how I want the series to end. I want a it to cut to a future Saul in black and white and for him to see Jesse and Jesse saying Walt is alive and in jail and needs your help or for him to see Kim....while slowly everything comes in to color. All I really want is some color and life to come back to him because those future scenes are heartbreaking....

What? All signs point to Walt being dead and even if he somehow magically lived I doubt Jesse gave two fucks about him at that point. lol

ColdPizza

Banned
Just Finished episode 5

Goddamn it, Vince! You can't close an episodes like that!
Fuckin' Tio Salamanca is in the building!

Do we know anything about Giancarlo Esposito making a cameo?

I actually am two degrees separated from Giancarlo. I won't get into those specifics but last time I asked it the person didn't know. I could ask again but even so I don't know if there are any NDAs that would prevent him from telling.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just watched the new episode, so, so good. Every scene is gripping because of the writing, acting and cinematography. Watching this show is the television equivalent of a fancy dinner for me.

I do agree that the Kim montage was a tad too long, but that's a minor quibble.

This show is the best thing on tv right now. Amazing camera work this episode. Kim in the garage during the rain smoking, the HHM flag looming over her in the overhead shot, jimmy in the bathroom door, beautiful stuff.

Wouldn't be surprised if future Saul went to Alaska to meet future Jesse

I can see him doing it since he's so fed up as gene

Alaska is small I think

Love love love the appearance of Hector, this is going exactly where I hoped it would.

So a question for the Breaking Bad experts in here.. which characters from BB are technically possible to appear? Keeping in mind that Gilligan and co seem to be doing this sparingly and where it feels natural, we've yet to see a cameo where it feels phoned in.
I'd love if Walt and Jesse made an appearance but only if it was in the background and very brief. Maybe just leaving Saul's office lol.

Reminds me of an episode of House where the episode was from Wilson's perspective and you just see house and his team doing weird crazy shit in the background and it's never clear what because it's not part of the story they're trying to tell.

This show is the best thing on tv right now. Amazing camera work this episode. Kim in the garage during the rain smoking, the HHM flag looming over her in the overhead shot, jimmy in the bathroom door, beautiful stuff.
The talent Gilligan has amassed for his team is crazy. Episodes like this and the show general are just leagues above almost everything else on TV. Just a higher quality. The Americans is probably the only show on its level right now.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Well if Walt makes an appearance, it's either as Ned Flanders the Science Teacher in the background, or it's some distance into the BB timeline. I would be legitimately shocked if anything we see during this run happens DURING the BB timeline. After, in Omaha? Maybe.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Good to know either way. Why unsurprisingly though? I thought it was losing a lot of momentum recently in the ratings?

Even with a decrease in momentum, it's still one of AMC's highest rated shows. Better Call Saul is one of the rare shows where fans will never have to worry about its future - AMC will give Gilligan & Gould as many seasons as they feel like they need (I think I remember reading an article where they said that they were aiming for parity with Breaking Bad, so five seasons total).

Insights into Chuck were the best parts of this episode, really can't say whether his story is true or not and even if it is true if that that's the reason he doesn't like Jimmy. Now we know for sure that he has nothing to do with Kim being in the doghouse which muddles Jimmy trying to portray him as a villain, taking that into context with the story he tells Kim it wouldn't seem like he's lying about it.

For now I think Chuck believes his version of that story, however that doesn't mean that's the truth in reality. I think Chuck for his entire life has always been jealous of Jimmy and it's colored his opinion of him, the whole deal with his father finally gave him that real justification for his feelings.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
you know what I'd LOVE? what was Hank's partner's name again? the one who we never quite knew if he was in on some cartel game? we never got resolution on that and had to assume he was clean to the end. but what if he wasn't?

:eek:

Oddduck

you know what I'd LOVE? what was Hank's partner's name again? the one who we never quite knew if he was in on some cartel game? we never got resolution on that and had to assume he was clean to the end. but what if he wasn't?

:eek:

Who, Gomez?

Did Breaking Bad ever give us a reason to believe he was corrupt? I can't remember anything shady about him at all.

B33

Banned
What? All signs point to
Walt being dead and even if he somehow magically lived
I doubt Jesse gave two fucks about him at that point. lol

There's a bit of ambiguity to BREAKING BAD's ending, but I'd say it's definitive that
Walt is dead at the end of the series

To be fair, it's not entirely impossible that a full season will take place in the Cinnabon era.

Once Jimmy becomes Saul, the series could in theory show moments from his perspective in Breaking Bad, but I think it's more likely it'll transition fully to post-Breaking Bad (the "Cinnabon era") and reach its conclusion.

That is the weirdest pet peeve.

I'm a Spanish speaker and Tío is ok.

It doesn't bother me, but it reads funny. Like, some posters are happy/shocked to see their uncle make an appearance at the end of the episode.
I guess I'm in the minority here, so I'll just let it go.
Back on topic, really loving Mike's story line more than Jimmy's so far.

UrbanRats

I don't understand wanting Saul Goodman as fast as possible.
What then? You'd get Breaking Bad redux, but without the best characters from that universe.

I want to see these new characters follow their journey as organically as needed, and if Saul Goodman isn't even on the radar, that's fine.

I just don't see what people think will happen that's so extra ordinary, once Jimmy becomes Saul.
His biggest life moment was probably meeting Walt anyway, so it's not like he's going to have something as crazy as that before he meets the guy.
Yeah, you could justify maybe some cameo a little better, but who cares? Cameos for cameo's sake are just cringe worthy.

I say let the show evolve naturally, enjoy the journey, instead of obsessing over the destination.
We've got good character drama so far, and a fun, brisk paced (maybe not as fast moving as BB, but still more than a lot of other TV shows) show.
It's all you need.

Playsage

I actually am two degrees separated from Giancarlo. I won't get into those specifics but last time I asked it the person didn't know. I could ask again but even so I don't know if there are any NDAs that would prevent him from telling.

if there isn't any official statements about it, I'll just wait for the show to reveal it. I wouldn't bother the man for a question that he probably can't answer, and he probably have been already asked about it like a million times lol

and the surprise will make the reveal even bigger!

ColdPizza

Banned
if there isn't any official statements about it, I'll just wait for the show to reveal it. I wouldn't bother the man for a question that he probably can't answer, and he probably have been already asked about it like a million times lol

and the surprise will make the reveal even bigger!

Agreed

Jyester

Chuck is an arrogant prick. There is no way his story doesn't have a special 'Chuck' tilt to it.

That's certainly possible. Although I was glad to finally be able to empathize a bit with his side of the story. I think the show does a great job at having you root for Jimmy, while at the same time you know he's fucking even though he tries his best not to.

I'm really enjoying this season. Surprised to see so many hoping for a BB style escalation so soon. I actually like the law firm stuff quite a bit. I'm sure Mike's story will spill over soon enough.

Robin64

Rewatched the episode of Breaking Bad last night, where we first meet him (Better Call Saul). Was pretty fun seeing him just outright suggesting that Walt and Jesse could just have Badger killed. Stark contrast to Jimmy now, so I definitely don't want to see him rushed to that point.

Kyzer

Banned
I don't understand wanting Saul Goodman as fast as possible.
What then? You'd get Breaking Bad redux, but without the best characters from that universe.

I want to see these new characters follow their journey as organically as needed, and if Saul Goodman isn't even on the radar, that's fine.

I just don't see what people think will happen that's so extra ordinary, once Jimmy becomes Saul.
His biggest life moment was probably meeting Walt anyway, so it's not like he's going to have something as crazy as that before he meets the guy.
Yeah, you could justify maybe some cameo a little better, but who cares? Cameos for cameo's sake are just cringe worthy.

I say let the show evolve naturally, enjoy the journey, instead of obsessing over the destination.
We've got good character drama so far, and a fun, brisk paced (maybe not as fast moving as BB, but still more than a lot of other TV shows) show.
It's all you need.

I kind of agree with you except that saul probably has seen tons of shit considering Walt not only barely phases him (until the end when he gets him involved) but that he is the plug. When Walt starts getting into the crazy shit it's thanks to Saul. So you definitely can't act like the greatest story of Saul's would be his side role in Breaking Bad. He could easily be involved with things just as big. I mean, Walt learned a lot from Gus and hes pretty much a part of the BCS universe even more than BB (relation to Mike and saul).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom