• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S2 |OT| The Truth Is Just A Point Of View - Mondays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanRats

I kind of agree with you except that saul probably has seen tons of shit considering Walt not only barely phases him (until the end when he gets him involved) but that he is the plug. When Walt starts getting into the crazy shit it's thanks to Saul. So you definitely can't act like the greatest story of Saul's would be his side role in Breaking Bad. He could easily be involved with things just as big. I mean, Walt learned a lot from Gus and hes pretty much a part of the BCS universe even more than BB (relation to Mike and saul).

Oh yeah for sure he's been involved with Gus and company, so you can definitely get some cool exciting stuff out of that, but Walt was actually the dude who ended him (along with large part of the New Mexico drug trade) completely.
It's gonna be hard to top that.

I don't expect BCS to ever get as crazy as BB in the first place.
Its strength, in my opinion anyway, lies more in giving characters more space.

Breaking Bad was also great in that aspect, but sometimes it did sacrifice character moments for lightning fast development (can't blame them, given the reaction to Fly).

RangerX

Banned
Just got caught up. As much as I loved Breaking Bad I have to say this show beats it for me. I love how they are slowly fleshing characters out and letting the story breathe.I felt that BB sometimes relied too much on Cliffhangers and big thrills.

Also this could possibly the most perfect casting I've ever seen. Every actor nails their role. My stomach just dropped when Howard told Kim she was going back to doc review. Her expression was crushing. As much as Chuck is right about some of the inevitability of Jimmy's actions I still think hes an ass. As evidenced by the opening scene he is jealous that people seem to like Jimmy more than him. He does think himself superior. Mikes story is just as interesting too. Can;'t wait for next week.

ColdPizza

Banned
Just got caught up. As much as I loved Breaking Bad I have to say this show beats it for me. I love how they are slowly fleshing characters out and letting the story breathe.I felt that BB sometimes relied too much on Cliffhangers and big thrills.

Also this could possibly the most perfect casting I've ever seen. Every actor nails their role. My stomach just dropped when Howard told Kim she was going back to doc review. Her expression was crushing. As much as Chuck is right about some of the inevitability of Jimmy's actions I still think hes an ass. As evidenced by the opening scene he is jealous that people seem to like Jimmy more than him. He does think himself superior. Mikes story is just as interesting too. Can;'t wait for next week.

Fucking Howard man...such nuanced acting. The way that he would position himself to look stoic when meeting that bank client...it was masterful.

Geg

There is no way I imagined the Gomez-could-be-corrupt hints and theories over the years. NO WAY

I guess maybe there were theories about it while it was airing, but as someone whose first viewing was marathoning the entire series after it was over I never once got any kind of feeling he was corrupt or involved in the drug trade

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
There is no way I imagined the Gomez-could-be-corrupt hints and theories over the years. NO WAY

You definitely didn't, there was a lot of speculation in that regard. If you search for "Breaking Bad Gomez mole," first result is an Onion A.V. Club review that has the following in the stray observations section:

"Many of you have been adamant that Steve Gomez is a Fring mole inside the DEA. I personally don’t see it, but if you prefer to believe that Tyrus is sitting outside the DEA keeping watch because Gomie tipped him off (rather than because he’s keeping tabs on Hank), you have more ammunition.  (Counting against that theory: Surely Gus would be suspicious when Steve passes along the supposed threat to Hank’s life, one that Gus would know to be fake.)"

Plenty of people speculated about that.

Tugatrix

tumblr_ma5ybk3zPo1rzipspo1_500.gif

We need Gomie back for Better call Saul

- Matt Zoller Seitz for NY Mag: Why Better Call Saul Is the Anti–Breaking Bad

unsurprising, yes. but I'll feel much better when season 5 is guaranteed.
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't run for as long as Gilligan & Co want to tell the story. Ratings are good, it's critically acclaimed, and AMC likes the property. If anything, I'd be worried about AMC wanting to stretch it past its sell date, but Gilligan has enough pull now that he can do what he wants.

Apoc29

When that bald guy walked into HHM for a second I was like "IS THAT HANK?"

I'm just expecting cameos to pop up out of every corner now. Like Mike needs a car and strikes a deal with Clovis or something.

ColdPizza

Banned

I'm just expecting cameos to pop up out of every corner now. Like Mike needs a car and strikes a deal with Clovis or something.

Loved the furniture kid
that was Walt's first kill
last week.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

I thought he was the libertarian nutjob from Breaking Bad there for a minute.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Wait I'm confused -- wasn't there a BB character who was a self-sovereign type with his face on his own money? I was saying I thought that banker who Kim brought in was the same guy for a second.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
To be fair, it's not entirely impossible that a full season will take place in the Cinnabon era.

Final season in that era would be incredible. So many ways this show can go.

Loved the last ep, Kim was the star this time. What a great character, deserves all the screentime she gets. Her look when she got sent to the doghouse again. Loved the opening scene with Chuck as well, he really didn't bank on his wife actually liking Jimmy. His facial expressions were gold.

I'm enjoying the show on it's own, but everytime I read this thread it makes me think I should have watched more than 2 episodes of Breaking Bad. :-|

Hah, you really should. Even though the show stands on its own, there are so many references to BrBa that you're missing out if you haven't watched the show first.

-griffy-

Banned
Wait I'm confused -- wasn't there a BB character who was a self-sovereign type with his face on his own money? I was saying I thought that banker who Kim brought in was the same guy for a second.

Are you thinking of the character from Better Call Saul season 1 that Jimmy thinks is a legit potential client before meeting him and realizing he's loony?

tmdorsey

I'm enjoying the show on it's own, but everytime I read this thread it makes me think I should have watched more than 2 episodes of Breaking Bad. :-|

I can't believe no-one like the Kim montage(s). They were brilliant in driving the point home...extremely tedious painstaking and frustrating work. I felt it

tmdorsey

I can't believe no-one like the Kim montage(s). They were brilliant in driving the point home...extremely tedious painstaking and frustrating work. I felt it

I liked them. Those and her latest conversation with Jimmy made me like her even more.

Well, you bring up an interesting dilemma. Should we be spoiler tagging BB stuff?

Well it doesn't bother me. I understand how long the show has been around and that I'm bound to run across spoilers. I can see it being very annoying have to spoiler tag BB stuff.

ColdPizza

Banned
Well it doesn't bother me. I understand how long the show has been around and that I'm bound to run across spoilers. I can see it being very annoying have to spoiler tag BB stuff.

Just thought I'd ask your preference.

It also brings up a new idea...

I mean, obviously the show works for people who watched BB and then this, but I mean, it could so easily work (so far in my estimation) for people to watch BCS first THEN BB...

It will be interesting when all is said and done with this series, and someone wanted a recommendation on what to watch first, what you would recommend.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I loved the montage, personally. The music (my way) was perfect. The anguish, the effort (think it struck all of us a little close to home). The tedium was intentional.

Birbo

Binged on Season 1 via Netflix and only have two more episodes of Season 2 to go before I'm caught up. Just have to say that the Squat Cobbler scene is probably one of the best things I've seen in a long time. Jimmy is such a likable guy, part of me doesn't want him to transform into Saul. But then I saw the Cobbler scene and I almost forgot all about Jimmy.

DiracSea

Banned
long posting

Tbh regarding the inclusion of Walther White: They should neither make up some new bs prior to or during the BB-story. And they probably shouldn't show him afterwards. What they should do: Show one of the big cases from BB in its entire length ... but exclusively from Jimmy's point of view.

That's pretty much the only way having Walther White in Better Caul Saul won't come off as gimmicky and forced. And they could go all out with the nostalgia.

DeathPeak

Third season confirmation YESSSSSSSSSSSS

Right? I can already see the threads:

"Which BCS era is your favorite?

A. Jimmy McGill era
B. Parallel-to-Breaking-Bad era
C. Cinnabon era"

A. Jimmy McGill: The Slippin' Jimmy Era
B. Saul Goodman: The "Criminal" Lawyer Era
C. Gene: The Cinnabon Era

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think was meant to be just long enough to get on your nerves. masterful

I think you're right. It had to be long enough to hit agonizing.

I cheered when hector showed up
I love jimmy, but Mike is the better protagonist

I see this debate happening, whether the Jimmy story or the Mike story is more compelling right now. I don't know. I think the Jimmy stuff is going to have a bigger payoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom