• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S2 |OT| The Truth Is Just A Point Of View - Mondays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoJu

Filler imo so we only get a morsel of Mike to get us salivating
Every story going on is wonderful. They just haven't really developed the Jimmy story in a while but i guess we'll get that next episode.

Mike's story is too much fan stuff for me, but it's done so well and Mike is so great that it doesn't really matter. Just don't see how his character is going to change like Jimmy will.

Veelk

Banned
How does Jimmy still have a job? I mean, he got a pass on the ad thing, and from there on he said he'd be under more scrutiny. He assigns Erin to basically chaperon him, and he immediately ditches her in the middle of the night, tries to bribe someone right in front of her the next day, and now has ditched her again in the middle of a work day.

I'm assuming Erin reports to Cliff daily, so that must mean she's covering for him, in which case, woman has the patience of a saint. I'd have burned Jimmy at the stake the first time he ditched me.

Wow this was a spectacular episode. I'm loving the slow build up because it has made me heavily invested into all of the characters, even if I already know most of their fates from BB. Kim is definitely cementing herself as one of my favorite characters so far, I'm just afraid of the heartbreak that is almost certainly going to have to happen when Saul finally appears..

Kickz

I have to say it, this show has suprassed pre season 5 Game of Thrones.. Just fucking brilliant cinema. Mike is so badass.

Please directors I ask for just one more BB cameo; Hank.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Did anyone check to see if the twin that Mike kills in the hospital in BB was the same one who made the gun motion towards his granddaughter in tonight's episode?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Great episode. That shot of The Twins on the roof gave me chills.

Did anyone check to see if the twin that Mike kills in the hospital in BB was the same one who made the gun motion towards his granddaughter in tonight's episode?

That would be insane :O

I'm surprised at the overwhelmingly positive response to this episode. I thought it was boring. Guess I'm not really getting what the show is going for sometimes.

Monocle

This show is ridiculously good.

I'm surprised at the overwhelmingly positive response to this episode. I thought it was boring. Guess I'm not really getting what the show is going for sometimes.
Maybe you'll get more out of BCS if you focus on what each scene conveys about the characters, rather than waiting for the story to go somewhere. BCS is all about showing, not telling, who the characters are. If somebody does something, you can bet that the writers thought it through very carefully and the actor had a clear sense of their character's inner life at that moment. Especially the interstitial stuff like Jimmy messing with his cupholder. Viewers are meant to understand what the characters are thinking, and see their motivations and flaws better than the characters themselves can.

The BCS Insider Podcast lays it all out. I strongly suggest you listen to the 205 episode to get a sense of where the writers and actors are coming from. They put a great deal of care and attention into creating a cohesive world with three dimensional people and meaningful details.

I have to say it, this show has suprassed pre season 5 Game of Thrones.. Just fucking brilliant cinema. Mike is so badass.

Please directors I ask for just one more BB cameo; Hank.

Nah Hank would be out-of-place here. A better cameo would be Gus, maybe at the end of this season.

NotLiquid

I like how Jimmy brute forces the holder at that very specific moment of the episode's ending.

It's like he forced himself to treat a bad situation as a good one. Jimmy and Kim are trying to spin the situation they'd been put in as a good thing.

Monocle

I'm not sure how I feel about seeing any of Walt's direct relations in BCS.

I like how Jimmy brute forces the holder at that very specific moment of the episode.

It's like he forced himself to treat a bad situation as a good one.
Now you're digging into the real meat of the show: the layers of meaning in the offbeat or incidental moments where a character deals with daily life in their own way. It's one of the best kinds of places to watch for important themes, and the defining qualities of characters, and plain old foreshadowing too.

-griffy-

Banned
I like how Jimmy brute forces the holder at that very specific moment of the episode's ending.

It's like he forced himself to treat a bad situation as a good one. Jimmy and Kim are trying to spin the situation they'd been put in as a good thing.
It's either a sign he's going to do his own thing, or that he's going to force his surroundings to fit what he wants. The latter of which would be disastrous.
He's gonna try and brute force his ways on his office, only it's not gonna give as easily as the plastic molding in his center console.

IronRinn

It's either a sign he's going to do his own thing, or that he's going to force his surroundings to fit what he wants. The latter of which would be disastrous.
He's gonna try and brute force his ways on his office, only it's not gonna give as easily as the plastic molding in his center console.

I don't know if it can even be parsed that way. They're kind of two halves of a whole, right? I think the world's second best lawyer is going to force a space for himself and leave a crude mark on that Mercedes of a law firm. They're really not a good fit for each other, as they are both stubborn and unbending in their own ways. Jimmy cannot help but work the angles and Davis & Main is almost militaristically meticulous and straight-laced.

I wanted to also note what an incredible job Michael Slovis did directing this episode. The shot through Mike's apartment as he sweeps it was fantastic.

BFIB

This show does such an amazing job not fucking up Breaking Bad's storyline. A lot of times, when you know how the show ends, and there's a prequel, the story can become messy. We got none of that here, at least so far. Everything related to BB is kept at a distance (this is probably the closest we've come with the cousins and Hector playing a part).

Gus is imminent, though I really hope they hold him off for a bit until we are full on Saul/Mike with the giant inflatable Lady Liberty on his building.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I suppose if you watch every episode whispering to yourself "Mike survives, Mike survives, Mike survives" then it's probably pretty hard to enjoy obviously suspenseful moments. Good god, people.

MrBadger

They're certainly picking the right characters to bring back. The twins and Hector getting involved with Mike doesn't feel too farfetched considering we know he ends up with Gus, and those characters were (mostly) mute in BrBa, anyway. Really enjoying seeing what Hector was like before his stroke and the music that plays for the twins is still terrifying. Nacho's role in the show is so different to what I pictured. I think he's one of the strongest original characters, which is saying something.

Mike aside, this show still doesn't have that much forward momentum. Like, now we have another new subplot with Kim's new job offer which will probably just end in her staying at HHM. I feel like a lot more had happened by this point in Breaking Bad. Not saying it makes it a bad show because it's a great one. I'm just thinking about how we're fast approaching that point where we have to wait another year for the story to continue.

NotLiquid

It's interesting to think of the circumstances in which Mike gets together with Gus, mostly because right now Mike is only playing the "half measure" game as he realizes that the Salamancas are a hornet's nest that he alone can't deal with.

Whenever he gets together with Gus he finally has a personal stake in taking that job because he knows that Gus will be planning to overthrow them. In a way this kind of makes Mike the "criminal family man" that Walter could never be, and it also makes Gus a lot more affable. After all we know that Gus is the only one Mike has an undying loyalty for which was occasionally dubious to swallow.

Shit if the show plays it's cards right it might make Gus much more respectable, might even make much of Season 4 a little awkward to rewatch with different perspectives.

I suppose if you watch every episode whispering to yourself "Mike survives, Mike survives, Mike survives" then it's probably pretty hard to enjoy obviously suspenseful moments. Good god, people.

While I was watching the scene where Mike was clearing his own house, I was just thinking about how stressful it would be to have to treat your own home like a hostile environment every time you walked in the door. It didn't bother me at all that technically I knew that Mike wasn't going to die right then.

Mike aside, this show still doesn't have that much forward momentum. Like, now we have another new subplot with Kim's new job offer which will probably just end in her staying at HHM. I feel like a lot more had happened by this point in Breaking Bad. Not saying it makes it a bad show because it's a great one. I'm just thinking about how we're fast approaching that point where we have to wait another year for the story to continue.

I think the scene in the bar with Kim and Dale actually was moving the plot forward in a non-obvious way. I feel like Kim is getting caught up with Jimmy's bullshit and it is going to cost both of them their jobs/opportunities, then Jimmy is probably going to use the investment money they scammed out of Dale to start Saul Goodman's law firm.

RangerX

Banned
Another fantastic episode. Mike's plot is great and i'd say the mob are starting to see how effective he can be. I have to say also that Kim's actress really is killing it. That flicker in her eyes when she was offered the job was great. She sees that she has no prospect of promotion at her current firm. That forced smile by Howard too, man.

I'm really curious now to see exactly what is that completely turns Jimmy into Saul because things seem to be going ok for him atm. It looks like hes just naturally happier living the way he used to. I have to say the show is the best thing on tv atm and I personally prefer it to the first two seasons of BB so far and I loved that show.

cyba89

Yeah.
That's like saying Breaking Bad wasn't tense because Walt as the main character obviously would not die before the last season.

I enjoyed this episode and according to the promo
it seems like the Jimmy storyline picks up some pace next week.

MrBadger

Yeah. It's not just about knowing that he survives. It's about finding out how, and we don't know Nacho's fate except that Saul gets involved in their scam at some point.

Do we see Mike's daughter in law in Breaking Bad? I'm only at the start of season 4 in my rewatch and so far it's only shown him with his grand daughter.

jett

D-Member

This show's starting to become repetitive. Seems like they tread through the same ground most episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom