• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

zewone

Mild prediction: Chuck's growing obsession with bringing Jimmy down, even against advice to basically "drop it" from peers like Howard, will see him getting increasingly sloppy and on the wrong side of the law. He got sloppy when dealing with good guy Ernesto on yesterday's episode, he almost attempted to present himself as an officer of the court to that copy shop guy.

It would be funny if Chuck eventually wound up disbarred or in jail before Jimmy.

Jimmy has the "I'll have you commited" trump card.

I wonder if the arrogant enforcer who aimed for the stars and got his throat slit is hired on Team Gus yet.

At this rate, might as well bring the whole team back. EVERYONE
It's likely, but I don't really see the point. Not a fan favorite and had the personality of a door knob.

Mild prediction: Chuck's growing obsession with bringing Jimmy down, even against advice to basically "drop it" from peers like Howard, will see him getting increasingly sloppy and on the wrong side of the law. He got sloppy when dealing with good guy Ernesto on yesterday's episode, he almost attempted to present himself as an officer of the court to that copy shop guy.

It would be funny if Chuck eventually wound up disbarred or in jail before Jimmy.

My prediction of Chuck's downfall will either be:
- Jimmy admitting Chuck to a psych ward to keep the case from building / keep people from believing Chuck

- Becomes horribly obsessed with taking down Jimmy that he becomes sloppy and actually goes mad or does something rather illegal that will take him to be incarcerated.

- Mental breakdown or overwhelmed from his 'condition' that leads to severe medical consequences.

I don't think him ditching a burner car would set off any red lights for Gus.

Mike would have ditched that car regardless if had gone through with the assassination or not. Him ditching it after having been followed or bugged because of the 'DON'T' note means it's even less suspicious.

You don't think they would have at least checked on the car and noticed it was in pieces, knowing that Mike was onto them in a way more than just being freaked out about the note? We gotta remember, Gus Fring is one meticulous motherfucker in Breaking Bad. Now maybe in this BCS prequel era he's still getting his sea legs, but he also had the foresight and cunning to try the rigged gas cap gambit in the first place, and on two separate cars no less (moreso if they knew that one would be burned anyway). This is a super nitpicky gripe though I'll admit, and I'm totally willing to get over it. Plus we've been here before re:
Walt's tenuous brock poisoning timeline

Also prediction:
Did anyone else notice Gene's Kansas City Royals lunchbox. Starting to add to an idea I had that:
Kim is going to get disbarred and have to move back in with her parents in Nebraska/Kansas/Missouri area. This would ultimately be the reason Saul blurted out and picked to move to Omaha to be closer to Kim without crossing boundaries.

Random guess: Gene passing out after that one incident = psychosomatic reaction triggered by "crime" (similar to Chuck's EHS)? :O

zewone

Also prediction:
Did anyone else notice Gene's Kansas City Royals lunchbox. Starting to add to an idea I had that:
Kim is going to get disbarred and have to move back in with her parents in Nebraska/Kansas/Missouri area. This would ultimately be the reason Saul blurted out and picked to move to Omaha to be closer to Kim without crossing boundaries.

Yeah, the Royals bag was giving screen time on purpose I believe.

Orcastar

Uh, what are you talking about? He meant for Ernesto to hear the tape. That was the whole point of having him swap the batteries.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Uh, what are you talking about? He meant for Ernesto to hear the tape. That was the whole point of having him swap the batteries.

Yup - he wanted Ernesto to hear it. Pretty sure this all part of Chuck's plan to ensure "Jimmy" doesn't practice law anymore.

Loved it. Especially the scenes with Mike.

He's too good of a character for how they ended him in Breaking Bad.

Seriously. I was thinking about this too, and if they do a "flashforward" season on BCS, I'll be fine with them somehow fitting in that Mike crawled to a hospital and survived just to have him back.

The only complaint I have is Ernesto. I hate when shows have a inconsequential character suddenly get lines right before a big moment. I wish they had Ernesto do something in earlier seasons other than just being there. It's feels forced. It's annoying, but not that big of a complaint.

smisk

Great episode, this show has some of the best cinematography on television. I never get tired of Gilligan's penchant for putting the camera in a thing that the character is looking at.

Also.. the one fucking shot with Mike in the desert and lighting striking behind him? Just beautiful.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
My prediction of Chuck's downfall will either be:
- Jimmy admitting Chuck to a psych ward to keep the case from building / keep people from believing Chuck

- Becomes horribly obsessed with taking down Jimmy that he becomes sloppy and actually goes mad or does something rather illegal that will take him to be incarcerated.

- Mental breakdown or overwhelmed from his 'condition' that leads to severe medical consequences.

you're forgetting one player in this who I think makes a major impact: Hamblin. We just saw the teeeeeniest seed planted from him that he doesn't really want Chuck to keep practicing law. I think he wants him out and my prediction is that he'll eventually team up with Jimmy to make it happen.

Also I bet that the Jimmy-Hamblin teamup both simultaneously causes the final transformation into Saul Goodman, and the Jimmy-Kim breakup.

Perhaps at the same time. Perhaps as a deal w/Hamblin "we'll drop these charges against you, you get to keep practicing law so long as you change your name, but you have to help us get rid of Chuck." Which could be the final straw in the J/K relationship, which leads to Jimmy losing that last grip on his soul after which he breaks bad.

~fin~

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Should of backed to back the first two episodes. That's the lowest ratings yet. Which isn't surprising, it was a slow episode.

you think it's peaked and people are waiting to binge it?

Everything is down this year in terms of L+SD ratings. The season to season drop is actually very small, and I'm sure it'll jump way up when DVR is factored in. The show is in absolutely no danger at all.

vitacola

Does anyone know what song plays at the end of the episode? Lovely piece of music and the song detection app on my phone won't tell me anything about it :(

Also.. the one fucking shot with Mike in the desert and lighting striking behind him? Just beautiful.
I wonder if it was CG or just a happy accident.

That reminds me, is the podcast out yet? Cuz that's usually the type of thing they talk about on it.

The only complaint I have is Ernesto. I hate when shows have a inconsequential character suddenly get lines right before a big moment. I wish they had Ernesto do something in earlier seasons other than just being there. It's feels forced. It's annoying, but not that big of a complaint.
What important line did he get before this big moment?
He's had bigger lines in the past and character moments that endeared him to the audience.
It's been clear that he's here for a reason for awhile

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Todd Vanderwerff coined this on his podcast (i think it's his) and it's sticking with me:

-- Breaking Bad is about Walt, who seems good but is actually bad;
-- Better Call Saul is about Jimmy, who seems bad but is actually good.

I don't think I have the verbiage exactly right but I think I love the observation.

I just had a totally random though about what might happen with Chuck. Isn't he still technically Jimmy's lawyer (he was when he got in out of jail for the Chicago Sunroof)? What if he does something in his scheming that would break privileged information with Jimmy, since he is (again, technically) also a client.

I don't know how Gilligan creates a long scene, without any activity, or even dialogue, and still the scene will be sexy as hell! It was a great start for the season. Expected to see GUS at the end of this ep tho.

riotous

Banned
Todd Vanderwerff coined this on his podcast (i think it's his) and it's sticking with me:

-- Breaking Bad is about Walt, who seems good but is actually bad;
-- Better Call Saul is about Jimmy, who seems bad but is actually good.

I don't think I have the verbiage exactly right but I think I love the observation.

Walt incredibly quickly doesn't seem "Good" in Breaking Bad to me. Unless he is referring to the general public and how they view the characters.

HardRojo

Just watched the premiere. Holy fuck is it good to finally have this show back! The Mike stuff was a little hard to follow at first but once I realized what he was doing, SHEEEEIIT! Mike why are you so fucking smart!? Also, that montage! Amazing stuff by this show, again, they keep outdoing themselves. BTW in the flash forward scene someone called Jimmy "James", I might have missed something in the previous seasons but why would someone know his real name? Isn't he using Gene now? It could be a minor detail and I totally missed it.

Mariolee

Just watched the premiere. Holy fuck is it good to finally have this show back! The Mike stuff was a little hard to follow at first but once I realized what he was doing, SHEEEEIIT! Mike why are you so fucking smart!? Also, that montage! Amazing stuff by this show, again, they keep outdoing themselves. BTW in the flash forward scene someone called Jimmy "James", I might have missed something in the previous seasons but why would someone know his real name? Isn't he using Gene now? It could be a minor detail and I totally missed it.

They said "Gene" in the flashforward.

Spaghetti

Nice episode. Felt kinda like an epilogue to the end of season 2 with a real slow burn, but by this point I trust it'll pay off in time.

Lothar

Banned
Walt incredibly quickly doesn't seem "Good" in Breaking Bad to me. Unless he is referring to the general public and how they view the characters.

Walt is no worse than Saul for the first few seasons. That's the premise of the show. He goes from good to bad.

zewone

Walt is no worse than Saul for the first few seasons. That's the premise of the show. He goes from good to bad.

Walt was always bad. His pretended to be a good person.

Cancer just gave him an excuse to let him be free to be himself.

HardRojo

They said "Gene" in the flashforward.

Yeah, now that I watch the scene again they did say Gene. But look at the freaking stupid Spanish subs, this is the reason I was flipping over Netflix taking English subs away, I'm not a native English speaker, so I use shows and movies with English subs as a way of practicing my pronunciation, hearing and vocabulary, for some reason BCS doesn't offer these subs in my region anymore for this show and I'm stuck with Spanish subs. Spanish subs suck most of the time, they tend to leave out minor details because they think us, as an audience that doesn't live in the US, are ignorant about certain brands, chains and other stuff, so they usually reword stuff or outright change it.

This is why I was so confused, why would they call him James? Stupid Spanish subs.

P3mNETn.png

riotous

Banned

Walt kills people in the first season; Walt puts his entire family in danger by killing gang members and dealing meth in the first season... Walt "breaks bad" in the first episode.

You then find out throughout the series that Walt has always been a petty narcissist. Not a terrible person in any way, but he was suppressing a deep depression about his life and where it could have gone.

The "General public" as in the citizens of ABQ and his family and friends think he's a good person until near the end of the show; but other than that he's not a good person right from the start.

Chumley

Banned

Never ceases to amaze me how determined people are to put complicated as fuck characters, shows, and books into the "good" or "bad" pigeonholes. The whole point of BB and BCS are the shades of gray and that the culmination of human beings is beyond simply being 100 percent bad or 100 percent good. Like, if you watch all of Breaking Bad and think anything or anyone in that show is binary, I don't know what show you were watching.

Also, Bryan Cranston and Vince Gilligan have always said that "Walt was 100 percent bad from the beginning" is a wrong misconception. The point is the journey from A to B. Things happen to people. They change.

Lothar

Banned

I don't see how you could enjoy the show if you were under such a huge misconception. No, he wasn't pretending when he was struggling over what to do about Crazy 8 and even willing to let him go. The point of the show was the character progression.

riotous

Banned
I don't see how you could enjoy the show if you were under such a huge misconception. No, he wasn't pretending when he was struggling over what to do about Crazy 8 and even willing to let him go. The point of the show was the character progression.

He get's progressively worse; but "the first few seasons he's the same as Saul" is nuts to me;
He let's Jane die in Season 2, for the sole reason to manipulate Jessie into joining back up with him to sell meth.

Top Bottom