• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

Chumley

Banned
He get's progressively worse; but "the first few seasons he's the same as Saul" is nuts to me;
He let's Jane die in Season 2, for the sole reason to manipulate Jessie into joining back up with him to sell meth.

Not true. She threatened to rat him out to the cops.

riotous

Banned

He wanted control over Jessie; he was pissed she encouraged Jessie to get his money back and he was pissed that Jessie was no longer his pet.

He could easily have washed his hands of Jessie and not have to worry about anyone threatening the cops on him.

Either way, he's a complete fucking degenerate by Season 2 lol.

I'm not saying it's super black and white or anything; his relationship with Jesse continued to be interesting throughout the show; he "cared" about Jesse but then he'd be a complete fucking asshole to him and call him a loser or do shit that put Jesse in extreme danger, used him for things, etc. But from a judging people standpoint Walt is a total mess early on in the series; I don't know how anyone could think he "Broke bad" at any point other than the second he decided to sell meth.

He get's progressively worse; but "the first few seasons he's the same as Saul" is nuts to me;
He let's Jane die in Season 2, for the sole reason to manipulate Jessie into joining back up with him to sell meth.

not entirely true. Jane was subtly controlling Jesse by getting him hooked on heroin and threatened to snitch. A coked up Jesse wouldn't be able to cook.

Chumley

Banned
He wanted control over Jessie; he was pissed she encouraged Jessie to get his money back and he was pissed that Jessie was no longer his pet.

He could easily have washed his hands of Jessie and not have to worry about anyone threatening the cops on him.

Point being that threatening to call the cops on him is a bell that can't be unrung, that absolutely played into his decision to let her die. Washing his hands of Jesse doesn't guarantee anything, she was an unstable drug addict. She got Jesse back on heroin. There's also the fact that without Jesse there's no more cooking, and she wanted more money.

Veelk

Banned

Yeah, if he refused to give Jesse his money, which he didn't. Granted, she probably would have come asking for more later, but he gave into her threat so her threat was off the table, officially speaking. And anyway, letting a girl die because she is a threat to his illegal practice is pretty cold in any case.

Never the less, Walt's reasons, as ever, are multilayered, since it's also about saving Jesse from relapsing into his drug habits, which Jane was pushing him down.

riotous

Banned
Jesse got Jane back into drugs... what show did you guys watch? lol

Jane introduced heroin to Jesse, and yeah obviously wanted Jesse to get the money that Walt stole form him back.. with the goal of starting a new life.

Walt deserved 100% to be threatened; he took Jesse's money.

Continues to blow me away to have conversations about the morality of Walt in breaking bad.

Chumley

Banned
Yeah, if he refused to give Jesse his money, which he didn't. Granted, she probably would have come asking for more later, but he gave into her threat so her threat was off the table, officially speaking. And anyway, letting a girl die because she is a threat to his illegal practice is pretty cold in any case.

Never the less, Walt's reasons, as ever, are multilayered, since it's also about saving Jesse from relapsing into his drug habits, which Jane was pushing him down.

The fact that she was a heroin addict pushing Jesse into doing more heroin kind of makes her "word" void in my opinion. I'm not saying Walt was right to do what he did, but she had all the leverage over him and Jesse, and if Jesse ever wanted to get clean it would have seemed unlikely unless she had a major change of heart all of a sudden. She had the power to syphon money out of them and keep using drugs until the cows came home.

riotous

Banned
The fact that she was a heroin addict pushing Jesse into doing more heroin kind of makes her "word" void in my opinion. .

Seriously, what?

Jesse encouraged Jane to smoke a joint.. Jesse then smoked meth in front of her and let her join in.

Then she introduced him to heroin; but at what point did she encourage him to "do more" heroin? Fairly quickly after they both became burnouts she came up with the idea of them both getting clean. And Walt had in fact basically stolen money; so why is there the assumption she'd ever continue to get money from Walt? She had her eye on the money for sure; but Jesse deserved the money also.. and Jane wanted to leave town to get away from her father. It seemed far more like the naive "Getting clean" dreams of a drug addict than some grand plan to continue to threaten Walt.

Chumley

Banned
Seriously, what?

Jesse encouraged Jane to smoke a joint.. Jesse then smoked meth in front of her and let her join in.

Then she introduced him to heroin; but at what point did she encourage him to "do more" heroin? Fairly quickly after they both became burnouts she came up with the idea of them both getting clean. And Walt had in fact basically stolen money; so why is there the assumption she'd ever continue to get money from Walt? She had her eye on the money for sure; but Jesse deserved the money also.. and Jane wanted to leave town to get away from her father. It seemed far more like the naive "Getting clean" dreams of a drug addict than some grand plan to continue to threaten Walt.

It definitely could have been a "getting clean" dream, but heroin addicts typically need to be forced into rehab to kick it. Who knows what would have happened, I'd say its 60/40 odds that it could have escalated into further drug use and straight up blackmail, or they stopped there and went off to live their life away from Walt. But I don't think it was likely that they'd ever kick H on their own without help from someone.

Mathezar

Bit of a weak episode, but great to have it back nonetheless!

Just wondering what the end game is for BCS. The flash forwards essentially take place after Breaking Bad, so how would they fit that timespan in there leading up to it... They'll have to walk a fine line between rehashing BB events and showing something fresh. I also couldn't see how they could possibly ignore Walter, Jesse, etc. as it's the only reason Jimmy/Saul is in the situation he's in during the flash forwards... So many questions, really excited to see how they'll handle this when the audience basically knows how it ends. Maybe they'll skip big chunks or all of BB and resume with Saul wanting to get back into the game and take things from there, then they can go in a lot of directions...

riotous

Banned
But I don't think it was likely that they'd ever kick H on their own without help from someone.

Oh for sure; but there was money owed Jesse. That puts a spin on the "blackmail" completely to me where I never assumed it would continue if Jesse got the money back. And in fact they made a plan to leave town.

Either way one of the more interesting aspects of the show was always "Does Walt REALLY care about Jessie?" Considering the metric shit-ton of things Walt put Jessie through I always leaned towards "in a weird but abusive relationship sort of way." Walt loved to pick at Jessie, put him down, fuck with him.. but he also always wanted Jessie around and would occasionally "help" Jessie so he'd stick around. But in the end every time he did help Jessie he also lied to him, and would turn on Jessie on a dime any time Jessie called him out.

Amazing how Jessie was supposed to be a side character.

So I wanna know what happened to mikes sniper.

tumblr_inline_oliwsgKorz1sxr820_500.gif

Veelk

Banned
It definitely could have been a "getting clean" dream, but heroin addicts typically need to be forced into rehab to kick it. Who knows what would have happened, I'd say its 60/40 odds that it could have escalated into further drug use and straight up blackmail, or they stopped there and went off to live their life away from Walt. But I don't think it was likely that they'd ever kick H on their own without help from someone.

Yeah, I find it implausible that they would have kicked the habit.

Their last scene was basically "Yes, we have the money and opportunity, we can live a clean life!....but lets do just one more wild night, eh?"

Yeah, no, additions don't work like that.

Still, the fact remains. Walt was willing to kill a girl to protect his interests, whether you want to interpret that to mean his money, his freedom, his stooge, or his ward.

Chumley

Banned
Oh for sure; but there was money owed Jesse. That puts a spin on the "blackmail" completely to me where I never assumed it would continue if Jesse got the money back. And in fact they made a plan to leave town.

Either way one of the more interesting aspects of the show was always "Does Walt REALLY care about Jessie?" Considering the metric shit-ton of things Walt put Jessie through I always leaned towards "in a weird but abusive relationship sort of way." Walt loved to pick at Jessie, put him down, fuck with him.. but he also always wanted Jessie around and would occasionally "help" Jessie so he'd stick around.

It was a bipolar, toxic, kind of hate fueled relationship but ultimately I think Walt did deeply care for him and regretted all the bad shit he did to him. He was going to die of cancer by the end anyway, but going into that white supremacist compound and wiping everyone out to free Jesse to me kind of put the definitive answer to it. He had no reason to do that other than to save Jesse.

Which is why, even in the final hour, I always find the "Walt ended up 100 percent evil" arguments to be misguided. He still had a small sliver of a heart left.

Veelk

Banned
It was a bipolar, toxic, kind of hate fueled relationship but ultimately I think Walt did deeply care for him and regretted all the bad shit he did to him. He was going to die of cancer by the end anyway, but going into that white supremacist compound and wiping everyone out to free Jesse to me kind of put the definitive answer to it.

He went into that compound to murder Jesse along with the nazi's. He only changed his mind out of pity at the last second.

Chumley

Banned
He went into that compound to murder Jesse along with the nazi's. He only changed his mind out of pity at the last second.

I really didn't read it that way at all, but maybe I'm forgetting stuff.

edit: Thinking about it, I guess you might be right. Was he pointing the gun at him until he saw how fucked up he was?

Veelk

Banned

Vince Gilligan in an interview said that he wanted a scene like one he saw in an old western where a guy hunted down a girl to kill her for hurting him, but when he finally saw her, he just hugged her at the last second. I don't remember if the show itself made that the definitive way to read the scene, but I do remember that Walt's cold rage was as much toward Jesse as anyone else.

edit: Thinking about it, I guess you might be right. Was he pointing the gun at him until he saw how fucked up he was?
No, this was when he was setting up the Nazi's for the Car Machine gun thing. He stared him down while thumbing the car key to start it, but eventually he tackled him and then lit the place up.

Lothar

Banned

You need to watch Breaking Bad again. This is awesome because it may be like seeing it for the first time. The conversation that made Walt go back to Jesse's house that night was to never give up on family. He was not thinking about meth in that bar room. He saw Jane as someone that was killing Jesse and he wasn't going to abandon him.

Chumley

Banned
Vince Gilligan in an interview said that he wanted a scene like one he saw in an old western where a guy hunted down a girl to kill her for hurting him, but when he finally saw her, he just hugged her at the last second. I don't remember if the show itself made that the definitive way to read the scene, but I do remember that Walt's cold rage was as much toward Jesse as anyone else.

No, this was when he was setting up the Nazi's for the Car Machine gun thing. He stared him down while thumbing the car key to start it, but eventually he tackled him and then lit the place up.

Right, I remember now. That makes sense. Like I said, it was a deeply bipolar relationship, and that wasn't the first time Walt's feelings towards him shifted from resentment to love in a matter of seconds.

riotous

Banned

We thought Jesse was working with them and producing Walts beloved blue meth.

In the end that was walts true love; his prized baby blue meth. He died practically dry humping the meth lab.

riotous

Banned
You need to watch Breaking Bad again. This is awesome because it may be like seeing it for the first time. The conversation that made Walt go back to Jesse's house that night was to never give up on family. He was not thinking about meth in that bar room. He saw Jane as someone that was killing Jesse and he wasn't going to abandon him.

I've marathon'd the show 4 or 5 times. I certainly recall the scene with Jane's Dad in the bar. I was being hyperbolic when I said he only let her die to get Jessie back as a partner but I think in the end it's Walts biggest motivation. He has a way bigger sense of his own ego than he does a sense of empathy for any other humans.

And either way we are comparing Walt to Saul here. I definitely think the Vox writers summation of the show is flawed; Walt shows good and bad throughout the story but shows some pretty horrible traits right away. Jimmy shows good and bad as well, but cons are nothing compared to what Walt did. If anything they show right away that Jimmy is a con man "with a heart;" they focus a lot on his good traits early in BCS.

pr0cs

People didn't like Mike's storyline in this episode? It was awesome, I guess if you are expecting BCS to be star wars or something but putting things together when watching was a lot of fun , the cinematography was excellent too.
The interview Cornballer posted earlier in the thread was all kinds of awesome. Enjoyed the showmakers care in not insulting the audience, cool to see them so passionate about understanding who is watching their show and why.
Man I love this show, can't wait for Fargo S3 too, feels like a long fucking time since good TV has been on.

Veelk

Banned
The biggest thing one needs to remember whenever you judge Walt is that he believes his own lies.

The best example of this is his school speech after the plane crash. I don't think he's such a sociopath that he is incapable of feeling guilt, because that's what he feels right then and there. But as he goes on, he keeps trying to rationalize the number of deaths, trying to frame it as not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Whats important about that scene is that it's completely unprompted. No one in the whole world considers him culpable for those deaths, even the majority of the audience. He has no reason to be talking about it the way he does. But he does so because he personally does feel it's his fault. And his response to that feeling is to tell himself "It's okay, just look at how small and meaningless this truly was".

So when he tells his family that he's doing it for them, tells Jesse or some random bar dude that it's about protecting your family, tells whoever that his motivations are unselfish, he's honestly believing what he is saying...but that doesn't make it necessarily true.

To bring this back around to BCS, I actually think that this makes Chuck the biggest Walt surrogate in the show. He's a control freak who believes himself to be benevolent. That he's only protecting the law and the people from Jimmy's insane disregard for rules. And there is honestly a strong case to be made there, given Jimmy's almost pathological apathy and disregard of rules....but it's also impossible to dismiss the personal egotism and resentment Chuck feels for Jimmy. And it's nigh impossible to seperate them, since Chuck has extreme difficulty seeing himself in the wrong at any time.

Great episode, this show has some of the best cinematography on television. I never get tired of Gilligan's penchant for putting the camera in a thing that the character is looking at.

Also.. the one fucking shot with Mike in the desert and lighting striking behind him? Just beautiful.

100% agreed.

Chumley

Banned
Great episode, this show has some of the best cinematography on television. I never get tired of Gilligan's penchant for putting the camera in a thing that the character is looking at.

Also.. the one fucking shot with Mike in the desert and lighting striking behind him? Just beautiful.

I wonder if they added the lightning in post or just completely lucked out with the weather on the day.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Speaking of cinematography, these dudes are untouched when it comes to montages and timelapse.

I especially liked the sound effect of the rain hitting the car during the last timelapse.

[edit]

Also, they pick the best music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pREWCA9FYg

I've been introduced to a lot of awesome music thanks to BB/BCS.

-griffy-

Banned
This team has absolutely mastered the art of capturing someone's silent thought process, as they think through a problem and arrive at a solution and put that into action. And making it all interesting.

Ledbetter

Great episode. Beautifully shot and the choice of music was on point.

This show can never be too slow for me. I think Jimmy's storyline and scenes were a bit weaker compared to Mike's, but that was more due to the story being developed mostly with Chuck's scenes.

This is why I was so confused, why would they call him James? Stupid Spanish subs.

I was also confused by this. I don't know why Netflix doesn't release English subs on BCS.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Great episode. Beautifully shot and the choice of music was on point.

This show can never be too slow for me. I think Jimmy's storyline and scenes were a bit weaker compared to Mike's, but that was more due to the story being developed mostly with Chuck's scenes.

I was also confused by this. I don't know why Netflix doesn't release English subs on BCS.

In Mexico you guys only get Spanish subs and in America we only get English subs.

Would it kill them to just give everyone every sub that they have? I want to show my mom BCS since she loved BB so much but I can't cus Netflix only has English subs.

Fookin' dumb.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Speaking of cinematography, these dudes are untouched when it comes to montages and timelapse.

I especially liked the sound effect of the rain hitting the car during the last timelapse.

[edit]

Also, they pick the best music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pREWCA9FYg

I've been introduced to a lot of awesome music thanks to BB/BCS.

Totally agree, and same here.

This team has absolutely mastered the art of capturing someone's silent thought process, as they think through a problem and arrive at a solution and put that into action. And making it all interesting.

For sure. That scene with Mike dismantling the car was really genius. I love how he tosses the gas cap aside without a second thought, and you see him getting increasingly frustrated when he can't figure it out where the tracker is. Then you see him sitting there waiting for the cab and inspiration strikes, and when he marches out with the screwdriver you can see that he's still frustrated that it took so long, but you can also see a gleam of triumph in his eyes as well. Really great.

In Mexico you guys only get Spanish subs and in America we only get English subs.

Would it kill them to just give everyone every sub that they have? I want to show my mom BCS since she loved BB so much but I can't cus Netflix only has English subs.

Fookin' dumb.

Ehhh, it depends from show to show. I always watch my shows in english with english subs. So far only BCS and Rick and Morty have I had this issue.

It sucks and is dumb to not give all options.

HardRojo

Worst thing about this is that we used to have Spanish subs for this show, but they completely went away when the Spanish dub (which is horrendous) became available, it seems.

Fookin' dumb.
BCS is a Netflix Original here, and as far as I have checked, all (or the majority) of them have English subs in this region, which is why I love those series as I know I can watch them with English subs no problem. In fact, as I said above, BCS used the offer English subs in the Latam region but for some arbitrary reason they're not there anymore, which sucks as it's my favorite show right now and it seems to be the only Netflix Original missing English subs.

Blastoise

Banned
How did Mike know to check inside the fuel cap at the car wreckers? Did the idea just pop into his head?

Cause thats lazy writing.

dLMN8R

Ok, I gotta say it: The foley in this episode was off the freaking charts.

Everything from the aluminum, to Mike working on the car, to the pistachios, and on and on sounded so crisp and perfect and fitting.

This show is a freaking feast for the ears!

Flo_Evans

Ahhh yes. Loved that the dead batteries where the solution to both Chuck and Mikes problems.

The tracking device did seem a little advanced (was that real tech?) the transmitter seemed way to small for the 90s but I can forgive that.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Ahhh yes. Loved that the dead batteries where the solution to both Chuck and Mikes problems.

The tracking device did seem a little advanced (was that real tech?) the transmitter seemed way to small for the 90s but I can forgive that.

It's the early 2000s. 2003, I think?

Spaghetti

How did Mike know to check inside the fuel cap at the car wreckers? Did the idea just pop into his head?

Cause thats lazy writing.
The montage goes to great lengths to show that Mike scoured every last inch of that car, which very purposefully includes a shot of him pulling out the fuel cap and pretty quickly tossing it without examining it. When he's decompressing and thinking it over while waiting for the cab, he notices the replacement fuel caps in the auto store and a little lightbulb goes off in his head about the one thing he didn't really check.

It was pretty well done, IMO.

Na. Still don't buy it. Its ok for TV reality, but BB and BCS are usually above that.

Eureka moments are lazy.
It was a tad hokey indeed.

I honestly check out during the montages on this show. The only one so far that's really justified itself is the one with Kim networking last season, and even that one is questionable.

The one stylistic remnant from Breaking Bad the show would be better off jettisoning.

Top Bottom