• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

I'm 100% sure we'll get scenes where Jimmy and Gus miss each other by a hair, or we find out that Gus actually knows who Jimmy is through this or that happenstance. These writers love No Coincidences too much. That was the entire second season. And fuck, God is literally a character in this universe.

Um, what episodes of Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul did I miss?

DirtyLarry

Eh. You're going to sit for minutes in front of his car, with him inside, changing a battery and testing it? Makes more sense to put a new gas cap in right there. Took him 30 sec.
I actually did not see him put in a new cap, I thought he just grabbed the old one and bounced.

From what I could tell, he actually just swapped the gas cap with a new one, hence why Mike leaves the newly swapped gas cap behind before he drives after the car.

I need to rewatch it as I also completely missed Mike leaving the gas cap around the second time . I saw it when he left his parking lot job to go meet the dude that got him the tracer but I seriously did not see it at all the second time.

So then ignore everything I said as this all makes complete sense. Not sure how I missed both things but I did. Damn.

His father is a loaded fried chicken chain owner / drug kingpin.

j/k, not established, but a theory some have. He could in fact be one of Gustavo Fring's vaguely mentioned children.

There's a 0% chance Ernesto isn't somehow related to Gus.

I think it's a fun theory; it fits a few things.

- Gustavo was a smart man who "groomed" people to play roles in his organization; like Gale who he paid to get a chemistry degree. Why not pay for one of his own sons to become a lawyer?

- Ernesto / Gustavo the obvious thing here; Ernesto is clearly a black man, but has a spanish name. Gustavo + black woman = child with spanish first name. (or Portuguese or whatever, not entirely sure the etymology)

- Saul says to Walt before getting him hooked up with Gus "I know a guy who knows a guy", and while it's implied that guy is likely Mike, I don't think Mike would actually ever recommend Gustavo deal with Saul. Mike hates Saul; but Ernesto on the other hand might suggest Jimmy/Saul as an option at some point for Gustavo if he ever needed legal help.

- Oh and look at this lighting used on Ernesto in the last episode:

oi15AWh.png

FACE.... OFF

I can totally see this happening.

dani_dc

Gonna go a bit farther and say that Jimmy will eventually meet Gus face to face and even talk with him.
He just won't know that he's Gus.

Jofamo

What I don't get and what drove me nuts is why would the guy take the tracker and not just put a new battery in it and put it back? I know if I was tracking someone that is what I would do. Would take an extra 5 seconds to do that and you are done. Instead they took it with them to swap out the battery one would assume then they will come back and put it in? Just made zero sense to me and the only huge flaw with this season opener.

So lets say they do not do that, what is to stop them from immediately removing the battery cause they think it is not working?

Yeah, I had a major issue with that whole sequence there.

Let's not forget that Mike swapped the tracker in that cap for his own one. Even if the person did swap the battery like you said, a quick test would show that it was still not working (the original tracker being drained of battery in Mike's house). Therefore, it makes sense to swap it with a new one, and take what they thought to be the old one back to be fixed.

The plane crash was God's wrath.
Uh no, I think you misinterpreted that quote:

"In simple terms, we just wanted a giant moment of showmanship to end the season. And what better way than to have a rain of fire coming down around our protagnoist's ears, sort of like the judgment of God? It seemed like a big showmanship moment, and to visualize, in one fell swoop, all the terrible grief that Walt has wrought upon his loved ones, and the community at large."

Clydefrog

What exactly did Ernesto hear on the tape recording?

I only listened to it once while viewing but it sounded like Chuck's voice? and it was only like 2-3 seconds long?

Kalor

What exactly did Ernesto hear on the tape recording?

I only listened to it once while viewing but it sounded like Chuck's voice? and it was only like 2-3 seconds long?

He heard Jimmy saying that he changed the numbers on the Mesa Verde documents.

Saty

Mike's scenes stressed how out-of-character he was written late last season with his flawed plan (leaving a dude tied-up for all to see) causing the death of a in innocent man - a death Mike took so much to heart that it was the reason he went into his bender and decided to snipe down Hektor or whatever his name is.

Pretty sure i'm not going to like Gus' part in this season. I dislike all these tie-ins because it feels to much as one show living off of another.

____

So I'm rewatching seasons 1 and 2 on Netflix and noticed that every single season 1 episode title ends with "O" except for one. Was there ever a reason or explanation for that?

Uno
Mijo
Nacho
Hero
Alpine Shepherd Boy (weird outlier)
Five-O
Bingo
Rico
Pimento
Marco

Veelk

Banned
So I'm rewatching seasons 1 and 2 on Netflix and noticed that every single season 1 episode title ends with "O" except for one. Was there ever a reason or explanation for that?

Uno
Mijo
Nacho
Hero
Alpine Shepherd Boy (weird outlier)
Five-O
Bingo
Rico
Pimento
Marco

The episode was originally titled "Jell-O," but the writers were forced to changed the name because Kraft Foods would not permit the use of their trademark.

As noted on the podcast, it started as a coincidence (ending in -o) and they just continued with it for the full season, aside from Jell-o which was scrapped for the reasons Veelk noted.

Carl

Finally caught up on the first ep and so glad this thing is back. The opening was great and everything after was sublime. The Mike scenes were fab. Can't wait for another amazing season.

I'd forgotten some of the things that happened last season (forgot to rewatch) so had to rack my brain to remember what Mike was trying to do and the whole "jimmy swapping details" thing, but I think I remember it all now 😁😁 looking forward to next week already

TheSun

"Y'know, Jimmy, you really are a Benedict Arnold."

What a weird ass transition. Bet he wanted an excuse to talk about the book he's reading. Good podcast nonetheless.

Anyways, I wonder if the cold open from episode one will continue on the last episode of this season or do we really need to wait a flippin' year.

I love pistachios

When Mike was eating them the sound was very crunchy and they seemed to be of a good size

I'm like yo I wish pistachios really were THAT crunchy and big

I didn't want to bump the S2 thread, but holy shit. Just binge watched all of it over the last few days (while listening to the podcast in between episodes). Literally just finished ep10. Goddamn that was excellent TV. Can't wait to watch both S3E1 and 2 tomorrow.

CHC

In hindsight the only thing that kind of doesn't hold up after all the time they spent focusing on the tracking device sidestory is this:

Why wouldn't they just change the battery right there in front of Mike's house? Clearly it takes two seconds to do, and they knew it was drained when they went there. Why risk going right from Mike's to wherever their "base" is just to put in a simple battery?

I mean obviously they could be leading him on, we don't know for sure, but it's kind of a weird thing not to do.

I love pistachios

When Mike was eating them the sound was very crunchy and they seemed to be of a good size

I'm like yo I wish pistachios really were THAT crunchy and big

Maybe Mike is just really really small, and has a dry, brittle mouth.

In hindsight the only thing that kind of doesn't hold up after all the time they spent focusing on the tracking device sidestory is this:

Why wouldn't they just change the battery right there in front of Mike's house? Clearly it takes two seconds to do, and they knew it was drained when they went there. Why risk going right from Mike's to wherever their "base" is just to put in a simple battery?

I mean obviously they could be leading him on, we don't know for sure, but it's kind of a weird thing not to do.
? They did something faster and simpler - they just swapped it for one with a fresh battery.

Really enjoyed the first episode. Amazed to read people calling it boring, I could watch the way this is filmed all day, it's one of the few shows around now that doesn't feel like it was made by an ex MTV director.

Jofamo

Quoting myself from further up the page, but;

Let's not forget that Mike swapped the tracker in that cap for his own one. Even if the person did swap the battery like you said, a quick test would show that it was still not working (the original tracker being drained of battery in Mike's house). Therefore, it makes sense to swap it with a new one, and take what they thought to be the old one back to be fixed.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Really enjoyed the first episode. Amazed to read people calling it boring, I could watch the way this is filmed all day, it's one of the few shows around now that doesn't feel like it was made by an ex MTV director.
I don't understand how anyone who watched this show for two seasons and thinks this episode is boring would still be watching, lol.

Lothar

Banned
I don't understand how anyone who watched this show for two seasons and thinks this episode is boring would still be watching, lol.

I want to know what happens. I want to see Breaking Bad cameos. I want to see Gus.

Even though I didn't find anything interesting about this first episode other than the Cinnabon opening, I don't expect all episodes this season to be that slow and uneventful. I could be wrong but I'm taking a chance.

DrAg0nBoY

It could be just me, but I think they didn't even change only the tracker but the whole cap. That's even easier and quicker than changing the batteries or even only the tracker.

I find it extremely easy to hate Chuck because Michael McKean is such a great actor.

Agreed.

Chuck is complex and his actions aren't one-dimensional, but I still hate him.

By the way, what else has McKean been in that's a dramatic role? I think I've ever only seen him in comedy, all the way back to watching Laverne and Shirley as a kid.

____

The episode was originally titled "Jell-O," but the writers were forced to changed the name because Kraft Foods would not permit the use of their trademark.

As noted on the podcast, it started as a coincidence (ending in -o) and they just continued with it for the full season, aside from Jell-o which was scrapped for the reasons Veelk noted.

Nice - thanks for the tip. I'll check out those podcasts. Kinda wish I'd have known about/watched them as I watched along, but I can catch up.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom