• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

That's sort of beside the question I wanted to ask though. Can anyone explain why he set the tracker up to the radio to drain it most of the night? I mean if it going dead is what tipped them off to replace it, why not just leave it working as normal until he's ready to pull the battery out and begin the stakeout? I just don't see the reasoning to draining the battery.
When he's examining the interaction between the battery and the screen, he sees that an alert is triggered when the battery is low, followed by the "no signal" message when it fully dies. Mike wanted to simulate that just in case the observer would get suspicious about a battery that suddenly goes dead without the low battery alert. Mike is damn thorough.

BunnyBear

Anyone notice much of a change in the cinematography? There's a new DP this season. I noticed it on occasion. Some shots weren't as artsy, and they overused bokeh. The last shot was a bit meh and unlike anything in BCS so far.

Otherwise a great start to the season. It's the best show on television.

I agree with your overall point that walt cared about jesse on "at least" some level, but goals 1,2,3,4,...and 49 of going into jack's compound was to get REVENGE on jack and his gang. later, he showed that he cared for jesse by sparing his life and offering jesse the opportunity to kill walt, but only after his principle objective of taking out jack, todd, and the gang was accomplished.

revenge for killing hank, taking his money, screwing him over, etc, etc
I think Walt had already proven he cared deeply for Jesse many times. He risked everything when he ran over the two dealers with his car.

Everything was going great between Walt and Gus at that point.

How did Mike know to check inside the fuel cap at the car wreckers? Did the idea just pop into his head?

Cause thats lazy writing.

I missed these sort of comments from previous seasons.

Even though he took apart the whole car, every piece.
Even though it was well established with several shots of the fuel cap from before.
Even though the eureka came about naturally. Mike no longer has a car, he has to order a cab, he has to sit in the lounge area, he sees the caps for sale.
Like it's been pointed out, after all the previous eureka moments from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.

Reminds me of the threads when people complain about their friends missing things on TV shows 'cause they are fiddling about or messing with their phones, then they don't know what's going on.

Blastoise

Banned
Takes apart the whole car. Gives up. Calls a cab. In waiting room he sees brand new fuel caps. Eureka its inside the fuel cap. Mike is Batman.

Chumley

Banned
Listen to the podcast if you think it was "lazy writing".

Think about it. Mike saw the cap being sold out in the open and realized they wouldn't plant a tracker in some hard as fuck place to access. It would be easily accessible. He was overthinking it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Takes apart the whole car. Gives up. Calls a cab. In waiting room he sees brand new fuel caps. Eureka its inside the fuel cap. Mike is Batman.

He checks literally every single inch and craves of the car, doesn't find anything, then later he sees the fuel caps and realizes he didn't check inside the fuel cap.

How is this such a huge leap for you? I'm genuinely baffled.

SalvaPot

Listen to the podcast if you think it was "lazy writing".

Think about it. Mike saw the cap being sold out in the open and realized they wouldn't plant a tracker in some hard as fuck place to access. It would be easily accessible. He was overthinking it.

Honestly, it makes perfect sense. It was more of a "Oh yeah, I skipped that, I should check it."

I thought the fuel cap idea was subtle and truly lifelike

Everyone's had moments in their life where they overcomplicate a task only to realize a solution of a few seconds

When you're that balls deep into a task, you become obsessed and everything around you becomes relatable to that task so it makes perfect sense for Mike to gander at stuff at the shop because at that point Mike's head is thinking about every nook and cranny of any and every car part

Don't take writing this good for granted

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Like, what's the alternative? He's searching the car and he finds it? That's so much less interesting than what we got.

When he's examining the interaction between the battery and the screen, he sees that an alert is triggered when the battery is low, followed by the "no signal" message when it fully dies. Mike wanted to simulate that just in case the observer would get suspicious about a battery that suddenly goes dead without the low battery alert. Mike is damn thorough.

I think this is the piece I missed. I hadn't realized there was a notification for low battery. Now it makes sense. Thanks

Arkeband

Banned
How is Breaking Bad above eureka moments when that show relied on total happenstance to get two planes to collide midair directly above Walt's house to keep the plot moving?
I mean, BB was great, but let's not romanticize it, it was chock full of dramatic tropes, it was the direction, script, acting, and cinematography that put it over the top.

This episode of BCS was so exhaustive with Mike trying everything, even portraying a time lapse where he takes apart practically the entire car. A bad eureka moment would have been if he found it after barely any exertion.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah Blastoise, you're on your own here. Tropes aren't necessarily bad (at least this one isn't), it's all in how you handle them.

Mike figuring something out after searching for hours and taking the car apart makes total sense, and I can totally relate actually. I've had times where I'm trying to think of a coding solution to a bug and overthinking things and testing tons of possibilities and nothing works, then I go "....oh, I could just do super-simple-thing X.... DUH".

It's not bad or lazy writing, it's the opposite. And as someone else asked, how else would you have written it? Mike just checks inside the fuel cap and finds it immediately? Then I bet you wouldn't be calling him Batman, even though that'd be closer to it, haha.

A lame eureka moment is when it comes out of nowhere, or when it's completely contrived, like, say, he's standing there being puzzled and not even really doing the hard work of searching, and he'd hear a dude say to another "hey, nice cap you're wearing", and then Mike goes "cap... cap.... oh, the fuel cap!" and immediately finds it. (That sounds like something out of House, lol, and what made it lame is that they overused this form of the trope over and over in just about every episode)

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Can we talk about Chuck's alien thumb for a second?

LowCMXH.png

JoeNut

I like the symbolism of Kim's indecision about the punctuation. Does she continue down this path (semicolon), end it (period), or change it (em dash)? We're left not knowing her decision.

heh i never thought as much into this, i just figured it was her indecision about whether she's doing the right thing by taking the case when she knows she won it unfairly though Jimmy's fraud.

You're right though, very clever

Also wtf is that thumb

Arkeband

Banned
It was the only thing I could focus on in this scene. They should have had someone elses hands do it lmao.

He was clearly unrolling the tape with his feet for this shot. This is a biblical reference to Jesus washing Peter's feet. Vince Gilligan is truly an auteur!

At least on this show when nothing happens it's well acted and interesting.

This is the mark of any truly great show. I'm rewatching The Sopranos with a friend who has never seen it and we're marveling at just how incredible everything is when it's really not doing a whole lot in terms of plot momentum. James Gandolfini (may he Rest In Peace) and Edie Falco fucking owned that show with nearly every scene they were in together, just by talking to each other about anything and everything.

It was nice to watch the season 4 opener of The Sopranos, and then the new BCS as they complimented each other very well.

HardRojo

This is one of those rare "it's just you" moments. And yeah, it's just you but you won't change your mind, in fact you're oversimplifying the whole thing so whatever.

I don't think Mike hates Jimmy. He has no reason to.

Annoyed by Jimmy? Yes. But Mike is a smart enough guy not to jump to extreme emotions concerning other people.

I don't think Mike hates Jimmy. He has no reason to.

Annoyed by Jimmy? Yes. But Mike is a smart enough guy not to jump to extreme emotions concerning other people.
Gilligan and Gould talk about this in the THR interview this week.
You have a show that has two great halves that only rarely intersect — the Jimmy half and the Mike half. How hard is that construction and how much of a challenge is it for you guys that Saul in Breaking Bad doesn't know Gus Fring at all? Does that keep the characters separate by necessity or are you guys finding ways to work around it?

Gilligan: We have to abide by the history that was delineated in Breaking Bad and sometimes we don't want to. Sometimes we say to ourselves, "Oh, man! Why can't we have these two characters meet? Why can't we have them hang out?" We wish we could, but to break our rules, it'd be a terrible thing to do. The audience would immediately know we had broken them and they would call us out for it and they'd be right. They'd be right to be angry about it, to feel betrayed by it, so you have to stick to your own rules.

It makes it hard sometimes with what you were just saying. We've got these two characters that we love seeing together. We've got Jimmy McGill and Mike Ehrmantraut and obviously they can spend time together and we know eventually they will, but the other thing we find is we often say to ourselves, "How can we get these two characters together? How can we have them spend more time together?" But as tempting as that is, we've reluctantly come to realize time and time again that that's the wrong question to be asking. The question is, "What do these two characters want at any given moment?" and very often what they want leads them in very different directions and takes them apart more than it brings them together and we have to abide by that. Again, we're being inauthentic if we don't. We have to let them set their own course and follow their own road map. Every now and then it works out that they can come together and we jump at those opportunities and we take them whenever we can, but they have to be earned and they have to be arrived at organically. If they're not, we may get some short-term pleasure, but in the long run we'll feel kind of dirty for having taken it.

Gould: The truth is that Mike doesn't particularly love Jimmy McGill. Mike is gonna call Jimmy if Mike has a Jimmy-sized problem. Jimmy's much more intrigued by Mike than the other way around. A lot of the time the question is, "Why is Mike gonna participate in this or that?" These two guys do have an ongoing favor trade where each one has done a favor for the other. Right now, that's as far as the relationship goes. It's painful, because I have to say that there's nothing I like better than getting Bob and Jonathan together in a scene, because they are just magical together.

I do remember there was a season of Breaking Bad where I had a similar feeling about Walt and Jesse. There were some times on Breaking Bad where there was really no reason for Walt and Jesse to be together. They weren't in business together, like when Jesse was cooking by himself or there were a few other circumstances. I remember all of us in the writers room feeling very frustrated because we just love these two characters together, but sometimes you have to go where the story takes you.

I'm 100% sure we'll get scenes where Jimmy and Gus miss each other by a hair, or we find out that Gus actually knows who Jimmy is through this or that happenstance. These writers love No Coincidences too much. That was the entire second season. And fuck, God is literally a character in this universe.

Jesse cameo this season?

How? Jessie ran through Krazy 8, who isn't a main character. He was about as low as you can get in that world crime wise. Having someone bump into Jessie or Walt starts to get into "Finn bumps into Space chess board and starts it" Force Awakens levels of fan service. The Twins were pushing it, but at least everyone who returned so far had a fair reason for doing so.

Edit: The question is, how long until Todd comes back? Seeing as his B&E group actually had business with Saul.

How? Jessie ran through Krazy 8, who isn't a main character. He was about as low as you can get in that world crime wise. Having someone bump into Jessie or Walt starts to get into "Finn bumps into Space chess board and starts it" Force Awakens levels of fan service. The Twins were pushing it, but at least everyone who returned so far had a fair reason for doing so.

Yeah, sound enough reasoning why he wouldn't.

Lothar

Banned
We have to have a scene where Walt tells Saul to take the ricin off of Jesse and convinces him to poison Brock.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The most crossover I would want is Bogdan going to Jimmy's old office/nail salon to get his eyebrows waxed, but being scared off by something to the point of never going back.

riotous

Banned
Windy Wendy could show up; Lydia of course.. Todd as mentioned.. maybe the Car Wash.. maybe Hank?

Honestly don't care much for cameos; if someone can be worked into a serious plot element that would be cool though.

Fireflu

Every single scene/sequence with Mike is just pure perfection. Not that I don't love Jimmy and the law side of things. But Mikes screen time is always so exhilarating to watch, I almost wish he was the one that got his own show with Jimmy/Saul being the side focus. Though maybe that would feel too much like a continuation of Breaking Bad and not something new.

DirtyLarry

What I don't get and what drove me nuts is why would the guy take the tracker and not just put a new battery in it and put it back? I know if I was tracking someone that is what I would do. Would take an extra 5 seconds to do that and you are done. Instead they took it with them to swap out the battery one would assume then they will come back and put it in? Just made zero sense to me and the only huge flaw with this season opener.

So lets say they do not do that, what is to stop them from immediately removing the battery cause they think it is not working?

Yeah, I had a major issue with that whole sequence there.

explorer

What I don't get and what drove me nuts is why would the guy take the tracker and not just put a new battery in it and put it back? I know if I was tracking someone that is what I would do. Would take an extra 5 seconds to do that and you are done. Instead they took it with them to swap out the battery one would assume then they will come back and put it in? Just made zero sense to me and the only huge flaw with this season opener.

So lets say they do not do that, what is to stop them from immediately removing the battery cause they think it is not working?

From what I could tell, he actually just swapped the gas cap with a new one, hence why Mike leaves the newly swapped gas cap behind before he drives after the car.

Eh. You're going to sit for minutes in front of his car, with him inside, changing a battery and testing it? Makes more sense to put a new gas cap in right there. Took him 30 sec.

Top Bottom