• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

Very bittersweet. Both sides are right and both are wrong.

Edit: And Jimmy probably just ended Chuck's legal career. Like someone pointed out earlier in the thread, reputation is everything in the law, and now Chuck first looked sloppy, and now crazy. Best case for Chuck is he is forced into retirement immediately.
Chuck needs to be committed.

tmdorsey

Got me!!! Man I love this show! The way Chuck acted when he thought he had Jimmy by showing everyone there was no battery in the phone. sogood.gif

I've got to share some backstory. So I started watching this show only had seen a couple of episodes of BB. Last season got me so interested in this world that while it was off me and the wife binged and finished BB. I will say that having seen BB makes me appreciate the little small details
and fan service but I think this show stands on it's own extremely well and I think is can or can be better than BB. It's just extremely well written, shot, and acted.

This episode was really kind of depressing and uncomfortable in the best possible ways. As a whole it was masterful. There really is nothing else like this show on television.

dc3k

Such a good episode.

why the battery and not an entire phone that they could call and have ring in his pocket

Such a good episode.

why the battery and not an entire phone that they could call and have ring in his pocket

To probably lessen the possibility him sensing a heavier object in his pocket. Battery weighs less.

Edit: Jimmy kept it strong, if I were him I would have been cheesing all the way through this, knowing I was just playing him like a fiddle.

Flo_Evans

Ice cold. I love the twist, jimmy has to change his name to Saul not because he got in trouble but because his brother is totally discredited.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

jond76

Banned
God fucking damn. Amazing.

And then the promo....!
________"Saul Goodman" - Kim________
oohhh shit

I never considered
that Jimmy would change his name to Saul to distance himself from a lawyer brother with a mental illness.
Thought it would be to dodge something he did to himself.
let's see if I'm right.

Great episode.

Pillville

Micheal McKean is such a wonderful actor

You are not wrong.

VuJWkG0uMfFDy.gif

P5cCLiyTNKEO4.gif

lTmxYIp72VAju.gif

Nelo Ice

Banned
God damn that episode. You could feel the tension through the screen. Had no idea what Jimmy's play was but god damn he got Chuck to play himself.

After the scene with Mesa Verde, I assume Jimmy changes his name to help protect Kim's image. That's never what I thought would be the reason

Powerhouse episode tonight. They did a great job of limiting the showmanship this week just to focus on the actors. It's always impressive how effortlessly this show shifts gears. They put together courtroom scenes that put legal dramas to shame. (Admittedly some of that is due to my investment in the characters at this point.) And they can just as easily do a silent surveillance scene, show off some cartel induced mayhem, or make me laugh harder than most comedies along with the superb camera work and production design that's ever present. My only complaint is that we're already halfway through S3.

tvo65SL.jpg

They're deadset on having a cameo an episode. No way Hank and/or Gomez doesn'tpop up by the end.

Fantastic episode. Shortest hour of television in recent history. The Huel tension was legit.

So what I got from this episode is Chuck blames Saul for basically everything that has ever gone wrong in his life.

But yeah, this was McKean's episode, and not just for the trial scene.

I can't believe I'm saying McKean deserves an Emmy. I always thought he was a great actor, but not an award winning one.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Powerhouse episode tonight. They did a great job of limiting the showmanship this week just to focus on the actors. It's always impressive how effortlessly this show shifts gears. They put together courtroom scenes that put legal dramas to shame. (Admittedly some of that is due to my investment in the characters at this point.) And they can just as easily do a silent surveillance scene, show off some cartel induced mayhem, or make me laugh harder than most comedies along with the superb camera work and production design that's ever present. My only complaint is that we're already halfway through S3.

tvo65SL.jpg
No kidding the camera work is god tier. I've never really paid attention to camera work until this show if that makes any sense. Like so many gorgeous shots and that one sewer shot I think from a few episodes back with Gus's henchmen on his night run looked like a mini set.

On a lark, I just rewatched Saul's initial Breaking Bad appearance.

"Simple transposition error, nothing a little white out can't fix."

Seens like a running theme!

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
This episode was superb in every way, but I just couldn't stop smiling at the Huell reveal. I somehow didn't connect the dots when the veterinarian asked if they had to fit him in a tight space, so I literally screamed HUUUUUUEEEEELL when I saw him looking back at Chuck with that sly smile. Just perfect. Didn't even notice the absence of Mike & Gus
and Nacho. I don't want him to be shoehorned into anything, but COME ON. Give us some Nacho.

How is each episode better than the last? Brilliant show.

It's really incredible. I remember, for example, Boardwalk Empire would have the slowest driest middles I've seen in quality tevelvision, then it would explode at the end. Meanwhile, this could have been the season finale for Jimmy, and I would have been completely satisfied. I mean last season had a pretty slow middle too, but man this season is something else.

Lothar

Banned
On a lark, I just rewatched Saul's initial Breaking Bad appearance.

"Simple transposition error, nothing a little white out can't fix."

Seens like a running theme!

I just saw a Season 5 episode where Saul said he would send Francesca back to the DMV.

Great episode tonight.

ezekial45

Banned
You are not wrong.

VuJWkG0uMfFDy.gif

P5cCLiyTNKEO4.gif

lTmxYIp72VAju.gif

Vince Gilligan said awhile back that he casts comedic actors for his dramatic roles because, and I'm paraphrasing here, "if they can do comedy, than they can do anything."

And he was fucking right. McKean earns all the praise and then some. I've never seen him on this level before.

Veelk

Banned
So what I got from this episode is Chuck blames Saul for basically everything that has ever gone wrong in his life.

I get the impression you would have gotten that from any given episode regardless of Chuck's content, since Chuck, in this episode, hasn't blamed him for anything at all. His outrage is centered on the fact that Jimmy gets schemes and gets away with it when he shouldn't. The only fuck up of his that he accuses Jimmy of is the mesa verde thing, which he indeed did do.

But yeah, powerful as fuck episode.

I get the impression you would have gotten that from any given episode regardless of Chuck's content, since Chuck, in this episode, hasn't blamed him for anything at all.

Except his parents loving him more, in his eyes. And getting a law degree.

But sure. Blame the user for watching the show wrong or whatever.

Top Bottom