• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

Joyful

chuck killing himself really is the best way to fuck with jimmy at this point, definitely a planned move on his part

NYR

chuck killing himself really is the best way to fuck with jimmy at this point, definitely a planned move on his part
Da fuck? You have no idea what you're taking about, talk about missing the point. Dude had his life and livihood taken away and couldn't live in peace with his "condition"', he ripped up his house just to sleep and that still didn't work. He tapped out.

Da fuck? You have no idea what you're taking about, talk about missing the point. Dude had his life and livihood taken away and couldn't live in peace with his "condition"', he ripped up his house just to sleep and that still didn't work. He tapped out.

I don't think that's the point at all. Jimmy shamed him in front of HHM, made him look psycho, to the point he was forced to retire.
Him killing himself is somewhat of a revenge on Jimmy - there was nothing else he could do, since faking being better wasn't working so well. It was too hard for Chuck to live with the fact Jimmy outsmarted him in the courtroom. Howard denying him his redemption at fighting his firing in court sent him over the edge.

Veelk

Banned
I'm still in the middle of the episode, but I have to say I'm gonna go ahead and have myself a tiny bit of helping to some crow in regards to chuck.

I still maintain that in early days, he is what he said he was. Someone who tried to live ethically and did so for the most part. That he did care for Jimmy, but saw him as a genuinely problem and his reasons for his resentment were understandable.

But the events of Mesa Verde and his crisis over his illness and him losing his job all have broken him down into everything everyone said he was. There was no point....none whatsoever...for him to say what he said to Jimmy except to be hurtful. All the other stuff he did against Jimmy, I always admitted was tainted and corrupted by his inner resentment of Jimmy, but was nevertheless founded on noble intentions and awareness of who Jimmy truly was. This is just him being bitter and angry and lashing out at Jimmy, who willingly allowed himself to be vulnerable to him so as to reconcile.

It's sad. (though probably not the last of it. I still need to finish the episode. Had to say that though).

SickBoy

Going off the idea that they're bringing back Chuck via flashback in the next season, I wonder if they'll reveal what terrible thing he did before his problem first manifested.

At this point, I'm pretty convinced it's a physical expression of guilt or remorse.

Idk you can say "planned", but it's worth mentioning that it makes a lot of sense for him to do what he did considering what he said to Jimmy. Chuck's suicide is an indirect consequence of Jimmy's actions.

I drank half a bottle of 18 year old glinlivet to celebrate this last episode so i am drunk as a skunk but goddamn that was an amazing hour of television. Chuck KILLED it, both literally and on screen as an actor. Everything thats been going on this entire season just came together beautifully.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
That got a lot more dark than I thought. I am pretty sure Chuck straight up told Jimmy he didn't care about him to push Jimmy away so Jimmy wouldn't be affected by Chuck's destructive decisions anymore, for example his suicide.

It feels like at the end he finally realized all the fucked up shit he had done to both Jimmy and Howard. It was clear to everyone who he was, the audience, Jimmy, Howard and Kim all knew he was full of bullshit, but it seemed like the only person who didn't really see it was Chuck. Maybe it didn't really register when Jimmy was the one telling him since, you know, of course Jimmy would tell him, right? Clearly he would try to twist Chuck's good intentions to make him out to be the bad guy, but when it came from Howard, his must trusting friend, it really hit him.

Then you have that scene with everyone cheering him on for being such a great guy while he just saw what a terrible person he is.
I'm still in the middle of the episode, but I have to say I'm gonna go ahead and have myself a tiny bit of helping to some crow in regards to chuck.

giphy.gif

even with how much of an asshole he was throughout the seasons, seeing chuck finally recognizing his illness, made the downfall hit me so much harder. the tearing walls scene was incredibly sad, to the point of nearly crying sometimes.

I don't think that's the point at all. Jimmy shamed him in front of HHM, made him look psycho, to the point he was forced to retire.
Him killing himself is somewhat of a revenge on Jimmy - there was nothing else he could do, since faking being better wasn't working so well. It was too hard for Chuck to live with the fact Jimmy outsmarted him in the courtroom. Howard denying him his redemption at fighting his firing in court sent him over the edge.

While I am sure that part of his thinking was "oh woe is me", Chuck at Full Chuck would have far too much ego to kill himself. He would view it as Jimmy winning.

Idk you can say "planned", but it's worth mentioning that it makes a lot of sense for him to do what he did considering what he said to Jimmy. Chuck's suicide is an indirect consequence of Jimmy's actions.

Yeah, no it's not. Chuck was always going to progress to a state where his condition affected his work. He was always going to have to face reality at some point.

Would he have committed suicide? Who knows. But his neurological condition is not Jimmy's fault.

gun_haver

i bet in ep 3 of next season chuck is gonna be doing something so reprehensible in a flashback we'll feel like he's right back with us

Yeah, no it's not. Chuck was always going to progress to a state where his condition affected his work. He was always going to have to face reality at some point.

Would he have committed suicide? Who knows. But his neurological condition is not Jimmy's fault.

I'm not saying his condition is Jimmy's fault. Obviously that's a medical problem that was always there, even when he and Jimmy were amicable. I'm saying the events leading up to the manifestation of Chuck's mental breakdown is indirectly the result of Jimmy's actions. Without Jimmy fucking him over via the insurance broker, Howard wouldn't have requested that he retired. Same goes for the way he got embarrassed at the court hearing vs. Jimmy. Additionally, it's interesting how with almost every interaction between the McGill brothers, Chuck's illness seems to have heightened to ridiculous levels. We see it with the copy shop where he confronts the guy and is unable to get him to admit that Jimmy committed fraud, and now we see it where Chuck goes ape on his home after Jimmy leaves. It's clear that there's some emotional element that Chuck doesn't realize is actually a much larger aspect of his illness.

I do have to say, some of these posts calling Chuck's suicide planned kinda make me feel sick.

You do not take your own life to get even. No matter what the suicide note (or NetFlix) says.

Plus, he was mentally ill. You can't view the extreme actions of mentally disturbed people as logical. There may have been resentment there during the act, but it was not coming from a place of coherency.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Chuck offers his hand to Howard, Howard rejects it, buys him out, and then sends Chuck off with "Let's give him a hand." Soooooooooo good.

Loved how the opening scene ends with a zoom into the lantern while Chuck reads Jimmy that story. Good actor for kid Chuck too, he sounded just like him.

I want that American Samoa Law School sweatshirt Jimmy was rocking in that last scene lol

Poor Chuck. We all knew it was coming, but I never expected suicide by lantern.

Chumley

Banned
That was one of, if not the best episode in the series.

Chuck losing his mind completely when he had no one else to rule over was sad yet predictable.

And Jimmy redeemed himself in a big way. He sacrificed absolutely everything to fix things with Irene. He lost the money, his clients, and a big part of his name as a lawyer. Clearly this is one of the major things that move him to becoming Saul Goodman full time. The best of intentions, etc.

Kim in Blockbuster was great and brought back memories. Was that the first time we've seen Kim and Jimmy actually kiss eachother?

rekameohs

Banned

Chuck losing his mind completely when he had no one else to rule over was sad yet predictable.

And Jimmy redeemed himself in a big way. He sacrificed absolutely everything to fix things with Irene. He lost the money, his clients, and a big part of his name as a lawyer. Clearly this is one of the major things that move him to becoming Saul Goodman full time. The best of intentions, etc.

Kim in Blockbuster was great and brought back memories. Was that the first time we've seen Kim and Jimmy actually kiss eachother?
Off the top of my head, there was a flashback in Season 1 where they kissed after Jimmy passed the bar.

I 100% see Chuck's death becoming why Jimmy becomes Saul. Not because he has no empathy for others, but because he has too much empathy.

Like Chuck pushed everyone away thinking he knew everything, Jimmy will push everyone away because he thinks that is what is best. Hell, the reason why he deals with the derelict and the slimy may be because he is trying to save his brother.

Francesca staying with him and learning so much may be because she's the only one, or she made a promise to Kim.

If this is indeed how it happens, then Saul became a completely tragic figure in a whole different way. Remember that the only times we ever actually see Saul are when he is doing business.

hydruxo

Definitely the best season yet for the show IMO, and the first two were already fantastic. Before the season I wasn't sure how they'd balance the Breaking Bad timeline converging into BCS without it feeling too different, but they nailed it. It all meshed perfectly and the show still maintained its own personality but with tons of BrBa cameos and nods.

Veelk

Banned
What I like, and what I find interesting, is that the last act of Jimmy here is directly to prove Chuck wrong.

Chuck laid out the road to being Saul to him. "Don't have regrets. Just hurt people."

The first thing Jimmy does is attempt to repair what he ruined. And when he couldn't do that, he put forth the ultimate sacrifice (for him) to repair the damage he did.

I honestly wonder how Jimmy will end up as Saul because the last interaction implies to me that Jimmy's response to his brother is basically "Fuck you. I'm better than you think I am."

Lautaro

I wasn't expecting Jimmy to redeem himself. I bet next season is going to be a continuous spiral downwards or the transition to Saul Goodman will feel too forced.

Chumley

Banned
I 100% see Chuck's death becoming why Jimmy becomes Saul. Not because he has no empathy for others, but because he has too much empathy.

Like Chuck pushed everyone away thinking he knew everything, Jimmy will push everyone away because he thinks that is what is best. Hell, the reason why he deals with the derelict and the slimy may be because he is trying to save his brother.

Francesca staying with him and learning so much may be because she's the only one, or she made a promise to Kim.

If this is indeed how it happens, then Saul became a completely tragic figure in a whole different way. Remember that the only times we ever actually see Saul are when he is doing business.

Agreed. Makes me even more excited to see what they do in the post-BB timeline.

I'm also more curious what drives Kim and Jimmy apart since now their relationship seems stronger than ever, if anything.

This is hilarious to me

fWo9Exp.gif

This gif will get some use in thread backfires.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess I'm okay with the ending. Jimmy doesn't get his "victory" since he's basically responsible for Chuck's death, which basically proves Chuck's point all along.

FZZ

Banned
What I like, and what I find interesting, is that the last act of Jimmy here is directly to prove Chuck wrong.

Chuck laid out the road to being Saul to him. "Don't have regrets. Just hurt people."

The first thing Jimmy does is attempt to repair what he ruined. And when he couldn't do that, he put forth the ultimate sacrifice (for him) to repair the damage he did.

I honestly wonder how Jimmy will end up as Saul because the last interaction implies to me that Jimmy's response to his brother is basically "Fuck you. I'm better than you think I am."

I think Chuck's suicide is going to push him to the edge

all his friends are dead

typist

Again the show defies expectations. Thought Howard would find out about the Sandpiper thing and then let Kim know about how Jimmy wrecked Irene's social life, in order to get back at Jimmy. Figured abuse of an old lady would be the end of their relationship... guess not lol! Jimmy just straight up tells Kim which is kinda good in the sense he doesn't keep any secrets from her but kinda bad in that she just accepts he abused an old lady and doesn't have any problem with it. Nice that Jimmy redeems himself with self-sacrifice, though once again it seems like he's being dumber than originally written to serve the plot -- he should repair Irene's life after he gets the settlement money, not before. Still glad the show is being unpredictable though, predictability is too dull.

Though Chuck's suicide was pretty damn predictable. Sad contrast with how the episode begins and how it ends. Seems like he really did care for Jimmy when he was a kid. As an adult though... he hears Jimmy has regrets, Jimmy says how they're the last of the McGills and he wants them to stick together, so his suicide almost seems like a way to get at Jimmy. Usually one of the things which hold people back from suicide is that they don't want to hurt their loved ones. In Chuck's case it's possible the reverse it true. He wants to hurt Jimmy as much as possible, and he doesn't really have much left to live for anyway, and he can't seem to conquer his illness, so he commits suicide. Damn shame.

I guess I'm okay with the ending. Jimmy doesn't get his "victory" since he's basically responsible for Chuck's death, which basically proves Chuck's point all along.

What was "his point all along"?

Chuck didn't think Jimmy was any good as a person, but he didn't accuse him of being a murderer or anything.

I think people are trying to find a meaning in an otherwise meaningless scene, because TV just isn't written like that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think searching for that drove him mad, him being mad forced him to keep searching for it. The suicide was going to happen either way.
Maybe that's true. I guess the other side of the coin is that Chuck basically pulled a Jimmy and quite literally burned it all down, first destroying his career and remaining friendships, and then cutting off the relationship with Jimmy. They're much more similar than either would like to admit.

Chumley

Banned
Again the show defies expectations. Thought Howard would find out about the Sandpiper thing and then let Kim know about how Jimmy wrecked Irene's social life, in order to get back at Jimmy. Figured abuse of an old lady would be the end of their relationship... guess not lol! Jimmy just straight up tells Kim which is kinda good in the sense he doesn't keep any secrets from her but kinda bad in that she just accepts he abused an old lady and doesn't have any problem with it. Nice that Jimmy redeems himself with self-sacrifice, though once again it seems like he's being dumber than originally written to serve the plot -- he should repair Irene's life after he gets the settlement money, not before. Still glad the show is being unpredictable though, predictability is too dull.

Though Chuck's suicide was pretty damn predictable. Sad contrast with how the episode begins and how it ends. Seems like he really did care for Jimmy when he was a kid. As an adult though... he hears Jimmy has regrets, Jimmy says how they're the last of the McGills and he wants them to stick together, so his suicide almost seems like a way to get at Jimmy. Usually one of the things which hold people back from suicide is that they don't want to hurt their loved ones. In Chuck's case it's possible the reverse it true. He wants to hurt Jimmy as much as possible, and he doesn't really have much left to live for anyway, and he can't seem to conquer his illness, so he commits suicide. Damn shame.

What kind of confused me is why Irene would reneg on the settlement even with Jimmy being discovered. It's not as if her friends will now suddenly not give a shit about getting the money.

Top Bottom