• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S3 |OT| Gus Who's Back - Mondays 10/9c on AMC

Permanently A

Do you really think it was just the job?

I need it spelled out for me

is it because he couldn't handle the sickness anymore?

because he lost jimmy and secretly cared for him?

because howard bought him out?

all of the above?

what was the tipping point? I'm not good at reading into this stuff

all of the above?

All of the above. He might not have cared for Jimmy but he was extremely important to him.

Tansut

all of the above?

Basically all of the above, yeah. His personal obsessions cost him everything, and his ailment came roaring back as a result. He wasn't coming back from that.

B.K.

I wish we had seen why Jimmy collapsed in the premiere. I wish they would put snips of Jimmy's future all through the season, instead of just at the beginning of each season's first episode.

all of the above?

I think the tipping point was Jimmy knocking at his door. I've noticed many times where Chuck's illness seem to have even more of an effect when conflated with his emotions toward Jimmy. Once he realized this was never going to go away, I think he just checked out and wanted to die before the illness took more control over him.

Permanently A

I wish we had seen why Jimmy collapsed in the premiere. I wish they would put snips of Jimmy's future all through the season, instead of just at the beginning of each season's first episode.

Wow you're right, I'm really surprised that we didn't see the conclusion to that

Bandit1

Don't mean to brag, but I kind of called it (part of it) after the episode where Jimmy embarrasses Chuck in front of the bar. =P

Looking ahead at what's in store for Chuck, things don't look good for him.

The episode ends with Chuck and an exit sign. I think this foreshadowing, in other words, Chuck is about to make his exit. Now I may be reaching here, but hear me out. Chuck has now been humiliated in front of his brother, his ex-wife, Hamlin, and the New Mexico bar. His mental health has been called into question. I can only see Chuck becoming more withdrawn after these events. And whether or not Chuck loses his license to practice law, I think Hamlin begins to distance HHM from the McGill name. Perhaps Hamlin and Chuck have a falling out because Chuck thinks Hamlin believes he's crazy. Chuck has alienated Ernesto and Jimmy, and I think his ex-wife will soon be leaving town. So without Jimmy, Ernesto, and Hamlin, who is going to bring him supplies? Kim possibly, but I can't see anyone else going there to bring him supplies, unless Hamlin sends someone, and then they would just be doing it as part of their job. So there we have Chuck isolated and alone. Now, the question is, what does Chuck have to live for? His brother has outsmarted him, his brother is practicing law, and he is not. He has no friends. I think that at the S3 finale we could be looking at Chuck's suicide, and therefore his "exit." I think the events of this episode and the fallout could drive him to take his own life. Kim, feeling guilty about how things went down, goes to check on him and finds him. She then tells Jimmy and says that "this is our fault." She realizes how far she's gone, helping Jimmy with his cover-up and lies to the bar. Jimmy, in denial and trying to divert blame from himself, tells Kim something like "he made his choice." Kim finally tells Jimmy she can't do this anymore and there we have Jimmy and Kim's split. Season 4 he kicks in to full Saul mode with the Walter White appearance in the S4 finale, and in season 5 we merge with the Breaking Bad timline, and move on through to the Cinnabon era to end the series.

TheSun

Huh, for a second I thought Chuck wanted to just burn the house down (make it look like an accident). Seeing the number at the end says otherwise I think.

Good season overall. I'll pass on Chris Hardwick.

Now I'm back to having nothing to look forward to on TV.

all of the above?

I think Chuck never felt loved by anyone, that that was the central resentment of his life. Once he lost his job and his last family member, that caught up.

gun_haver

I think the tipping point was Jimmy knocking at his door. I've noticed many times where Chuck's illness seem to have even more of an effect when conflated with his emotions toward Jimmy. Once he realized this was never going to go away, I think he just checked out and wanted to die before the illness took more control over him.

it's so fucking twisted. jimmy just came over, essentially to say, sorry bro i still love you. and chuck's response was UGH GOD FUCK YOU I'M GONNA LITERALLY SET MYSELF ON FIRE. he really hated jimmy.

sinkfla87

Holy fuck at that ending. Honestly, despite however anyone has viewed Chuck up until this point you can't say that wasn't heartbreaking. McKean : EMMY NOW.

I felt so uneasy during that house destruction scene. the emotional reactions this show is getting out of me is staggering.

when is man/show marriage gonna become legal?

Mckean needs to get that Emmy, especially if that really is the end of him.
(at least there's still flashbacks if he is dead)

Redd

Howard did the right thing for HHM. Sad how Chuck couldn't swallow his pride and retire and get real professional help for his condition.

gun_haver

even kim's kinda obvious and pedestrian taste in movies can't make me love her less

also jimmy's totally come all the way back from the brink to being good old jimmy again. they've shown us he is *capable* of throwing morals aside when he feels desperate. next horrible thing he does is gonna come that little bit easier. and easier. and easier. gonna be sad to see.

howard's a great character, i wonder what's in store for him going ahead now that he's at the helm of HHM himself with no ongoing conflicts with kim or jimmy.

no mike this episode. his story was wrapped up last episode when he signed the deal with fring, but i missed him.

chuck's last words to jimmy that he is essentially a bad person and just throw all this remorse after you do bad things out the window are gonna be a big part of next season.

Permanently A

Man I can't believe Jimmy messed up that bad with the hot mic, he could have spent the rest of his days comfortably practicing elder law with Kim by his side!

Top Bottom