• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYONCÉ RETURNS: POPGAF OT XIII

‘All In My Head (Flex)’ (Feat. Fetty Wap)

and

‘Not That Kinda Girl’ (Feat. Missy Elliott)

available to listen to hear.

G630PAy.gif

Kinda surprised Missy got hooked up with 5H considering she did a COLLAB with little mix.

Thought she wouldn't do another collab with another girl group but coloured me surprised!

Where was all this venom against Celine then?

Face it. Madonna has no taste. The fact that she went out there in a fucking glittery purple jumpsuit (i.e. basic Prince imitation drag) shows how little imagination she has.

Celine doesn't get the Madonna venom because she's always been an unprovocative artist, whose cultural levity doesn't span much beyond fringe older gays who frequent Vegas shows. She's NOT Madonna. No one else is. People think Madonna feels pressure to "stay young" or be competitive with younger artists but the fact is that she's consistently been the same carefree spirit with big brassy balls, and people can't handle that. People like Mick Jagger get praised for going out there and wildin' out on stage, and men tend to be encouraged to tap into their youth well past their prime. Meanwhile, no other woman has dared do the same except for her. She has literally not changed a thing, and it's funny that people are annoyed that she dares to still work and be the literal same person she's always been.

Like I said, the moment Madonna passes away radio will be playing her songs nonstop, calling her the greatest artist of all time, celebrating her I-don't-give-a-fuck attitude and courage to be herself regardless of society's expectations of women over the age of 40. It would be one of the most significant and devastating losses in music history and women everywhere will stand in solidarity to celebrate her legacy and strength. Until then though, she'll be panned as a desperate old lady with no self awareness. Unless she suddenly decides to wear toe-length classy dresses and only show her face at Grammy tributes or to accept legacy awards while releasing acoustic covers of contemporary music that no one will buy.

Sorry, I needed to get that out, lol. Obviously the backlash against her really bothered me :(

Celine doesn't get the Madonna venom because she's always been an unprovocative artist, whose cultural levity doesn't span much beyond fringe older gays who frequent Vegas shows. She's NOT Madonna. No one else is. People think Madonna feels pressure to "stay young" or be competitive with younger artists but the fact is that she's consistently been the same carefree spirit with big brassy balls, and people can't handle that. People like Mick Jagger get praised for going out there and wildin' out on stage, and men tend to be encouraged to tap into their youth well past their prime. Meanwhile, no other woman has dared do the same except for her. She has literally not changed a thing, and it's funny that people are annoyed that she dares to still work and be the literal same person she's always been.

Like I said, the moment Madonna passes away radio will be playing her songs nonstop, calling her the greatest artist of all time, celebrating her I-don't-give-a-fuck attitude and courage to be herself regardless of society's expectations of women over the age of 40. It would be one of the most significant and devastating losses in music history and women everywhere will stand in solidarity to celebrate her legacy and strength. Until then though, she'll be panned as a desperate old lady with no self awareness. Unless she suddenly decides to wear toe-length classy dresses and only show her face at Grammy tributes or to accept legacy awards while releasing acoustic covers of contemporary music that no one will buy.

Sorry, I needed to get that out, lol. Obviously the backlash against her really bothered me :(
You can be a long-running provocative female artist and still be respected as long as your provocation has substance behind it.

You don't see these types of criticisms leveled at Bjork or Kate Bush, for instance, because even their most subversive art has something more to say than "I don't give a fuck1!1!!asd!"

But keep on keeping on with that agenda siS

rhandino

Banned
Did Ariana rihleased a "Visual 2" for Dangerous Woman or she just jumped to the next single when that other one flopped?

Eeek at this era being killed by the bad reception of Focus and a licked Donut. A mess.

MrV4ltor

Did Ariana rihleased a "Visual 2" for Dangerous Woman or she just jumped to the next single when that other one flopped?

Eeek at this era being killed by the bad reception of Focus and a licked Donut. A mess.

She cancelled the release of Visual 2 and just moved on to the next single.
Her single releases really are messy this era.

Arianal's ARTPOP ERA! ARTPOP influencing all the lessers!
Slay ChartFLOP!

To think that we could have had a new Britney song right now if it hadn't been delayed. That BBMA performance would have been really good promo, too.

Reminds me of Gaga's triple run back in Feb :(

You can be a long-running provocative female artist and still be respected as long as your provocation has substance behind it.

You don't see these types of criticisms leveled at Bjork or Kate Bush, for instance, because even their most subversive art has something more to say than "I don't give a fuck1!1!!asd!"

But keep on keeping on with that agenda siS

But again, Kate and Bjork are not Madonna, They are not sitting squarely in the zeitgeist like she is. Most people, frankly, don't give a fuck about those two because they're generally out of sight, and out of mind. There is no one else with Madonna's combination of exposure and career longevity, male or female. Any backlash leveled against Madonna sits in a contextual vacuum because she has no peers. That's why it's unfair to compare her reception to someone like Kate fucking Bush who has nowhere near the relevance and influence. As for a lack of substance, ehhh I don't know. People have levied that critique against her pretty much every day since she debuted. I can't really claim that her liberalism is less "good" or substantive now than it was in the past because this has always been her personality. I can't help but feel like there's some aggressive subtext in the notion that everything Madonna does now lacks substance or worth. :/

But again, Kate and Bjork are not Madonna, They are not sitting squarely in the zeitgeist like she is. Most people, frankly, don't give a fuck about those two because they're generally out of sight, and out of mind. There is no one else with Madonna's combination of exposure and career longevity, male or female. Any backlash leveled against Madonna sits in a contextual vacuum because she has no peers. That's why it's unfair to compare her reception to someone like Kate fucking Bush who has nowhere near the relevance and influence. As for a lack of substance, ehhh I don't know. People have levied that critique against her pretty much every day since she debuted. I can't really claim that her liberalism is less "good" or substantive now than it was in the past because this has always been her personality. I can't help but feel like there's some aggressive subtext in the notion that everything Madonna does now lacks substance or worth. :/
Like she "is"? We're going with present tense here, ok...

...um, have you listened to her last two albums? Pure desperation. And she's not tapping into the zeitgeist prancing about in fucking grills like it's 2003.

Her leotard moment was rather warmly received because it didn't seem like she was imitating her idea of what's "in" with the kids today. Sure, some overly sensitive people mocked it, but that's different than the wholesale dismissal that you're lamenting, and obviously they were the minority given how successful that era was.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't say that the world is against Madonna because ageist misogyny is wired into its social DNA and at the same time say that this supposedly ingrained bias exists in some sacred vacuum.

siT

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't say that the world is against Madonna because ageist misogyny is wired into its social DNA and at the same time say that this supposedly ingrained bias exists in some sacred vacuum.

siT

I offer him my lap
clock-eyebrow.gif

RedONE had confirmed that he has finished 8 songs with Gagz for LG5

In case any of y'all were wondering, he's still involved with the project. He hasn't been sidelined by Ronson... Yet!

Phew

lenovox1

Kinda surprised Missy got hooked up with 5H considering she did a COLLAB with little mix.

Thought she wouldn't do another collab with another girl group but coloured me surprised!

Missy Elliott has done a feature for every girl group that has existed since 2000.

Like she "is"? We're going with present tense here, ok...

...um, have you listened to her last two albums? Pure desperation. And she's not tapping into the zeitgeist prancing about in fucking grills like it's 2003.

Her leotard moment was rather warmly received because it didn't seem like she was imitating her idea of what's "in" with the kids today. Sure, some overly sensitive people mocked it, but that's different than the wholesale dismissal that you're lamenting, and obviously they were the minority given how successful that era was.

siT

:p Lol fine I'll drop it, even though I stand by what I said! People assume desperation way more quickly with Madonna than they do for younger people even when they're doing the same things. Why would she feel pressure to act younger when everybody out there wants her to act older? What if her grill was some sort of sardonic cultural statement but no one bothered to ask her coz they defaulted to "you're so desperate"? What if the bottom line is that we're just not used to seeing older women be iconoclastic, and have problems setting expectations for them? How much would a Madonna vacuum even sell for? WHO HAS THE ANSWERS I SEEK?

I offer him my lap
clock-eyebrow.gif

tumblr_inline_o6eugy0C8m1qaocgr_500.gif

Touchdown

Banned
Mariah set to take over television yet again this year!

Mariah Carey's star is shining even brighter now.
The 46-year-old just signed an impressive three-movie deal with Hallmark Channel that will enable her to wear many hats and show off her many talents.
Mariah will get to develop, executive produce, direct and star in a trio of films for the network, and write an original song for each as well, according to Deadline.com.

Starring, Producing, and Writing 3 movies, let alone starring in ha own docu-series. Your faves could neva.

I'm a, I'm a, a diva, hey
I'm a, I'm a
Na, na, na, diva is a female version of a hustler
Of a hustler, of a, of a hustler
Na, na, na, diva is a female version of a hustler
Of a hustler, of a, of a hustler
Stop the track, let me state facts
I told you give me a minute and I'll be right back
Fifty million round the world
And they said that I couldn't get it
I done got so sick and filthy with Benji's, I can't spend
How you gone be talkin' shit?
You act like I just got up in it
Been the number one diva in this game for a minute

tumblr_o7aen5BEFr1qd8zg3o8_400.gif

MrV4ltor

RuPaul is probably more relevant than Gaga rn tbh

Watch RuPaul's Drag Race NOW

I watch Drag Race. I literally spend most of my time on the RPDR subreddit lmao
Not to brag, but I actually have one of the Top 5 highest upvoted posts of all time on there.
gaga-hair.gif

Doesn't change the fact that Ru is a local D-List celebrity at best outside of the LGBT community.

Mau ®

Two of my favorite artists ever collaborating for the first time? Yaaaas!

cnFySAX.gif

Spanish Shakira is Good Shakira.

RedONE had confirmed that he has finished 8 songs with Gagz for LG5

In case any of y'all were wondering, he's still involved with the project. He hasn't been sidelined by Ronson... Yet!

Phew

Ronson and Parker's involvement in LG5 is the only reason it will be worthwhile. Gays need to let go of this creepy obsession with her working with tired ass producers and their shit edm beats. Embrace real music ffs. smh.

B-Dex

First of all whore. Rupaul is a global gay icon. Slaying the lessors since before Beyoncé was squirted out of her moms rathole.

tumblr_n308cqnk7K1rosb88o1_500.gif

Second. That horrific Whitney Hologram is getting her own show. The company was doing major damage control on Emtertainment Tonight. They claimed they digitally replaced a performers head with whitneys. But all I see is a shitty projection of a honey Mahogoney. Whitneys Estate needs to send a cease and desist ASAP.

tumblr_mfwpx1F2aH1rmrgsyo1_400.gif

Vazra

First of all whore. Rupaul is a global gay icon. Slaying the lessors since before Beyoncé was squirted out of her moms rathole.

tumblr_n308cqnk7K1rosb88o1_500.gif

Second. That horrific Whitney Hologram is getting her own show. The company was doing major damage control on Emtertainment Tonight. They claimed they digitally replaced a performers head with whitneys. But all I see is a shitty projection of a honey Mahogoney. Whitneys Estate needs to send a cease and desist ASAP.

tumblr_mfwpx1F2aH1rmrgsyo1_400.gif

Even UK is getting Drag Race now. Talk about impact.

B-Dex

Xtincta and Ariola dueting. Mess.

Not Warcraft getting compared to Mariah Carey App ads.

it’s dispiriting to think about the time, energy, planning and precision that went into “Warcraft” when the final product brings to mind those animated advertisements for iPhone app games.

Vazra

Dangerous Woman has a 79? A mess, that's pretty high for mainstream pop. I might actually listen if it stays up there.

Ehhh why instead of seeing the reviews just listen to it and form your own opinion. It should be fun to see you listening stuff that might be out of your comfort zone and write detailed opinions since it has been eons since PopGAF has done reviews. I kinda miss them.

In other stuff. What has happened to the podcast Mau, Touchdown and the other hews that were supposed to work on it?

Top Bottom