• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Replicant

iHG2cJNnVtdCP.png

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/sUv5CUh.png[/IMG]

TITLE | BEYOND: Two Souls
CAST | Ellen Page (Inception, X-Men: Days of Future Past) | Willem Dafoe (Spider-Man, Finding Nemo)
PLATFORM | PS3
RELEASE DATE | October 8th 2013
DEVELOPER | QUANTIC DREAM
PUBLISHER | Sony Computer Entertainment

STORY

BEYOND: Two Souls is the story of Jodie Holmes, a young girl who possesses extraordinary powers through a connection with an invisible entity known as "Aiden". The game takes players on a journey across the globe as they play out the life of Jodie. In an adventure spanning 15 years of her life, players' actions will determine Jodie's fate as she faces extraordinary challenges, danger, and heartwrenching loss on a journey to discover the truth of who she is.

SPECIAL EDITION

The Special Edition of BEYOND: Two Souls is housed inside a Steelbook packaging and contains: extensive behind the scenes feature, soundtrack, dynamic PS3 Theme, PSN avatar pack, and 30-minute playable DLC. The extra DLC will feature the additional “Advanced Experiments” playable scene. In this scene, you’ll test your rapid problem-solving skills as you guide Jodie and the mysterious entity Aiden through a series of tough training missions. Over the course of 30 minutes of additional play, you’ll determine your ability to use your brain while keeping an ice-cool head in high-pressure situations — all while helping Jodie and Aiden collaborate to solve puzzles.

PREORDER: Gamestop (US) | Amazon (UK) | Game (UK) | EB Games (AUS)​

1dLubpN.png

3RD OCTOBER 2013

This title is not available yet as digital download on PSN. The only way to purchase this game is via brick and mortar stores.

Apparently hitting "New Game" post completion can relock your previously unlocked chapters. If you want to replay, it's advisable that you use "Chapter Select" instead of "New Game" to prevent this from happening. (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=84646881&postcount=548)​

k5O9qPu.png

b8TKtCc.png
nbDngWe.png

Jodie Holmes (Ellen Page) is the young girl who at the age of 8, for some reason is inexplicably linked to an entity known as "Aiden". Jodie seems to resent this connection, feeling that it ruins her life and terrifies the people around her. Having said that, Jodie also realizes that Aiden can be very useful in certain situation. Not much is known about "Aiden" except that Jodie is the only person who can communicate with the entity.

Nathan Dawkins (Willem Dafoe) is a government scientist who works with Jodie to analyse her powers. Despite his job, he seems to really care about Jodie and acts as a surrogate father to her throughout the game.

LV4qGDh.png

TRAILERS + BEHIND THE SCENES

Please be aware that snippets of these trailers, previews, gameplay scenes, and behind the scenes may contain major or minor spoiler to the plot of the game. If you wish to be completely unspoiled prior to playing the game then it's a good idea to avoid these media.

Trailers and Gameplay

BEYOND: Two Souls™ - E3 2012 First Look
BEYOND: Two Souls™ - E3 Trailer
BEYOND: Two Souls™ - Willem Dafoe Reveal Trailer
BEYOND: Two Souls™ - Tribeca Trailer
BEYOND: Two Souls™ - E3 2013 Gameplay Trailer
BEYOND: Two Souls™ - E3 2013 Trailer
BEYOND: Two Souls™ - Gamescom 2013 Trailer

Previews

BEYOND: Two Souls™ - Tribeca Film Festival Special Preview (SPOILER ALERT!)

Interviews and Promos

E3 2012 - Interview with David Cage

BEYOND Comic-Con 2012 Panel
Playstation Blog Interview with David Cage and Ellen Page
BEYOND: Two Souls™ Tribeca Film Festival Highlights
E3 2013 Day 1 Coverage - Dark Sorcerer and BEYOND: Two Souls™

Behind the Scenes

Willem Dafoe's - Behind The Scenes
The Making of BEYOND: Two Souls™ - The Origins
The Making of BEYOND: Two Souls™ - The Gameplay
The Making of BEYOND: Two Souls™ - The Soundtrack

SCREENSHOTS

POSTERS

prOfAGr.png

Normand Corbeil, writer for Heavy Rain, originally composed the soundtrack for the game. He passed away eariler this year on January 25th from pancreatic cancer while he was still working on BEYOND. After his passing, Lorne Balfe stepped in to replace Corbeil to compose with Hans Zimmer as the producer. Balfe has previously worked on Assassins Creed III, and has been credited with work in The Dark Knight Rises.

The Making of BEYOND: Two Souls™ - The Soundtrack

bq09nVH.png

PRESS REVIEWS

Hi-Def Digest - http://games.highdefdigest.com/159/beyond_two_souls

Despite losing interest in some of Jodie's experiences and often times wishing for more freedom with both Jodie and Aiden, I was transfixed by the game's committed narrative. Not only do I want to pry out some of the variations in play that I may have missed thus far, but my fascination with the game as a whole has only grown since finishing my review playthrough. It's possible that the game's similarity to adventure games and Cage's obsession with being similar to films make for an acquired taste, but the level of production lead character depth, and overall product found in 'Beyond: Two Souls' are well worth the price of admission.

Today Online - http://www.todayonline.com/tech/games/beyond-two-souls-goes-beyond-expectations

With great graphics, solid gameplay and an engaging plot, Beyond is definitely a rival for Grand Theft Auto V and The Last of Us for the Game of the Year Award. If you need to buy one last game for the PlayStation 3 before heralding the arrival of the PlayStation 4 on our shores, it has to be Beyond: Two Souls.

Verdict: 5/5

GAF REVIEWS

fantomena - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=83962397&postcount=89

It was an emotional rollercoaster ride. I felt angry and sad. Angry due to some shit people did in the game (wanted to kill those people) and sad (most of the time). I even cried about 4 times or so. The story is nothing like Heavy Rain. It was good, very well (both exciting and emotional) and I had just a couple of pauses.

Mendrox - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=85001605&postcount=1029

In my opinion and two friends of mine which play videogames very often and one woman friend which played Heavy Rain we agreed that Beyond: Two Souls is a better game than Heavy Rain.

HQQ6v7D.png

JODIE

Control Scheme
L3 (Left Stick) = Move | R3 (Right Stick) = Look Around/Interact | Triangle = Switch to Aiden.

Interactions
Interaction points are marked with little white dots. Just press the right stick into the direction of the white dot relative to the center of the screen and Jodie will interact with the object. If you are unsure what the interaction is supposed to be, you can move the right stick gently and see the animation start. You can let go at any point and cancel the animation, if you don't want to do the interaction. Trial & Error can be avoided this way.

1. Move the right stick up to get up.
2. Move the right stick to the bottom left to sit down.
3. You can move the right stick to the right to interact with the door. Alternatively you can move the stick to the left to open the trunk of the second car.

Special Prompts
Special Prompts are usually indicated by the appearance of a button name or the shape of a white controller in the screen. Players are required to either hold the button(s) or shake the controller, or performing several button presses combination.

1. Mash the indicated button.
2. Hold the indicated button till it disappears.
3. Press and hold all the indicated buttons until they all disappear.
4. Every time you see a prompt with a controller, move the whole controller into the indicated direction or shake it using sixaxis (not illustrated).

Combat
Beyond features a new combat system. Every time the game goes into slow motion (fight or not) you have to read Jodie's movement and move the right stick into the appropriate direction to finish her move (relative to the camera). You have some time to do this, impulse reactions are often punished, because you didn't spend enough time to read her movement correctly.

This system is also used during chase scenes for example. When the camera is behind Jodie and she wants to open a door in front of her you press the stick up. When she attempts to duck something, press down. And so on and so forth.

AIDEN
Control Scheme
L1 = Lock | L2 = 180º turn | R1 = Move Up | R2 = Move Down
L3 (Left Stick) = Move | R3 (Right Stick) = Look | Triangle = Switch to Jodie

You can switch between Jodie and Aiden at almost any point using the triangle button. Interaction points for Aiden are marked with little blue dots. Just press and hold L1 to lock onto an object or character and then move both analogue sticks into the appropriate direction to interact with it. You can cancel the interaction at any point by letting go of L1.

Interact with Objects:
Depending how long you hold the analogue sticks the force used will be weaker/stronger. For example if you want to move heavy objects, you need to hold the sticks back longer, because you need more power.

1. Hold L1 and press L3 and R3 stick downwards and keep them on hold.
2. While still holding L1, release the L3 and R3 stick.

Touch or Protect
You can touch certain characters with a blue aura to give them shivers or make them aware of your presence. To do this, hold L1 while moving the L and R sticks into inward directions. You can also perform similar movement to envelope Jodie in a shield of invicibility.

Possess
You can possess every character with an orange aura. Controls are the same as for Jodie. Hold L1 while moving the L and R sticks in outward motion.

Choke
You can choke and eventually kill every character with a red aura. When prompted, hold L1 while moving the L and R sticks into inward directions.

Special Movement:
Always remember that you can make a quick turn by pressing L2. Using R1 and R2 to change altitude is also very useful to get around quickly with Aiden. When you use all the available options, movement with Aiden becomes incredibly easy and natural. In case you get lost just follow the tether back to Jodie or press triangle.

You can invert the Aiden controls in the menu and also adjust the camera sensitivity if necessary.

ClxDZqv.png

Use the BEYOND Touch™ app to control your BEYOND: Two Souls™ game on PlayStation®3. The app can be used on any iOS/Android device to replace your PlayStation®3 wireless controller. All you’ll need is for your PlayStation®3 console to be on the same WiFi network as your iOS/Android device and you’ll be ready to play the game with touch controls.

How it works - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9RF_WwAsVc
Download the iOS App - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/beyond-touch/id691908718?mt=8
Download the Android App - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quanticdream.beyondtouch

djQwmnY.png

WARNING | Mods will be informed of those who trolls the thread.

1. Spoiler-tag any plot-related discussion. If you post a link to a Youtube video, warn us if there's spoiler in it. Here's a separate SPOILER THREAD for those who want to discuss the plot without using spoiler tag.
2. This is not a thread to tell others that you are one of those special snowflakes who hate QTEs and David Cage. Spread your winter wonderland elsewhere and make your own thread.
3. We also don't want to hear about your definition of a "game" in this thread. And whether or not this title fits in it. You want 'real' gameplay? Go play "Tetris", I highly recommend it.
4. Want to make NPD/sales predictions? Well, you're in the wrong thread! You see that 'Search' icon on the top right hand of the blue bar? Hit that and look for them.
5. Concerned about the direction of gaming industry? Good. But do it elsewhere! Also, a few games with unusual gameplay will not change how other developers make their games.

TLDR version | If you want to do item 2 to 5 mentioned above:

ibmvmyIZQhLo53.gif

NNTzUYG.png

dLW2ejZ.png

For helping with many of the copywriting and providing countless resources for the images shown on this OT.

Also thanks to SCE for their continue interest and funding of unusual projects like this. It'd be easy to just go for the most popular game genre when it comes to project approvals. So it's encouraging to see diferent games like this, "Puppeteer" and "rain" once in a while.

Carl

I am BEYOND excited for this

Nice OT man. Looking forward to the game. Got collectors edition preordered :)

Dead

well not really...yet
Never played Heavy Rain, but I got this preordered. Kinda excited to experience it.

Replicant

Gah! Is GAF now using a collapsible, image-resizing layout? Oh well, stretch your browser to 1100px at least folks.

Okay you fucked me over Repli :D

Doesn't matter. Post is there and the first two aren't too bad :D

Well, it's hard to time our thing via PM. :p

Rojo

Great OT i would love to play this too bad my PS3 died. Still i will be keeping tabs on it seeing how it does.

statham

Had to order a new controller, the controller that I had didn't have motion, it better come in time!

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
This game made love to my eyes last night....its insane how beautiful it is. Must buy.

there are at least a couple of gaffers who have review copies so please feel free to post impressions of the full game, barring spoilers of course.

megamerican

I'm concerned about the embargo. Sony usually lifts embargoes early to generate hype. I'm wondering if they are expecting not so hot scores for this.

I really hope it's good cause I loved Heavy Rain.

That OT haha that really was the only acceptable answer.

Played the demo last week. Still not completely soul'd on it yet but looking forward to reading the reviews from folks here.

Bravo on the amazing OT, Replicant!

It feels like forever since Heavy Rain came out, so I'm glad this game is coming out soon. So excited!

B.O.O.M

haha Special SnowFlake

Thanks to the demo my interest in the game has gone up considerably. Will keep an eye on it and user impressions

Nice OP btw

I loved heavy rain...but I still have no idea what to think of this game. Will be very keen to hear impressions as they come in.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Thank you for posting the rules. They will be enforced. Because like I'll be playing this.

2013 is year of Ellen page in games

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just got done with the demo and enjoyed it a lot. Not sure I want to buy the game full out knowing I played Heavy Rain just once through (loved it), but I may rent this.

beast786

OP WHAT THE HELL IS A RELEASE DATE.?

other than that excellent job

edit: i see you added it now... mucho thanks

UnrealEck

It looks like one of those moviegames. I only rent moviegames. I may rent this moviegame.

If it is indeed a moviegame.

Definitely keeping my eye on this. As much shit as Heavy Rain gets, I thought it was a fantastic and tense title despite some minor issues with the plot. I'm not the biggest Page fan, but if this can replicate the feelings I got from HR, I'll be there day 1.

Pollux

Yup :) I can already tell this game is gonna be amazing after the demo.

Very nice. I haven't followed this game at all since I wanted to go in as blind as possible. Looking forward to it. Actually, I might not pick it up until mid-December since school is kicking my ass, but it's so damn tempting.

IconGrist

Great OT!

I have this paid off at Gamestop but I'm not sure I want the steelbook packaging if it doesn't have the standard casing. It would mess up the look of my gaming rack. I'm silly like that.

Top Bottom