• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Cheddahz

Banned
1375564185548vfjq0.gif

Cheddahz's GIF of the year

I'm ok with the type of game it is and everything. It's just one of the consequences of being so story driven and cinematic is that it's like a movie, there's no point in going through it again after the 1st time. That's why I've never actually bought a vhs/dvd/blu ray in my life. That's also why I'm so conflicted about buying this but my renting options aren't very good here either. I guess if I look at it like I'm only actually paying about $20 for it once you factor in the trade in amount then it's not so bad.

In that regard it's hard for me to identify with how you feel. I've rewatched a ton of movies, and do collect Blu-rays so that aspect doesn't bother me.

And even then, I only end up replaying games that are really great and don't waste my time; games that are built for replaying. There are so few of those in the "cinematic" space that I can't bring that concern into it, more so with David Cage's games which are SO far into this lane, that they're legitimately no longer a traditional gaming experience.

And if you're getting it for $20, I'd say a 1 time 10-15 hour experience is good enough, as long as you enjoy it.

Yeah, that's probably too early. Still, it's likely that a poster might get over-excited and post a little too much information in this thread.

I can't remember the last time it didn't happen.
Mhm, you are right. This would contain them early. Well, we probably know it's the right time as soon as the white spoiler bars appear...

DukeBobby

At least we know that the soundtrack will be fantastic. The music in the demo (particularly the main menu theme) is some of the best I've heard this year.

I really hate how they replace the QTEs with the analog stick motion thing. In the demo, when she's doing a kick and her foot is rising up, I have no idea if it's supposed to be Right or Up.

Portman

Heavy Rain couldn't keep me interested but this one has been on my radar since I heard about it. Got the demo set to download tonight and I'm going to pay off my pre order on Friday while picking up Wind Waker HD.

Missed the demo thread? Duke enjoyed what he played. Just try the demo out for yourself?

Yeah, I did, or completely forgot. I'll give it a go later, thanks for the reminder.

Yep, picking up the special edition. Heavy Rain had a ton of flaws, but I still enjoyed it for what it was.

Beyond appears to have rectified the voice acting issues, so that's something. Story issues? Remains to be seen.

I'm honestly not expecting much from the writing. My enjoyment will rest on whether I personally feel it's a better adventure title than Heavy Rain. I haven't heard much encouraging, but I haven't really been following it closely either.

If I hate it for the same reasons I hated Heavy Rain, I'll probably just move on and not bother complaining about it. You can hold me to that :p

David Cage is the writer. Take it or leave it. Practice makes perfect. Third times the charm. etc

Well then I wish all of you in this OT the best of luck with this. After farenheit and heavy rain I would think that bar a minor miracle this is going to be a joke compared to other "interactive films" like TWD.

Some info from QD bout the censorship.

G de Fondaumiere ‏@GdeFondaumiere 9h

There is virtually no difference between Euro and US versions of Beyond=much ado about nothing...More important things to write IMHO!

Rumba Lumba ‏@rumbalumba 30 Sep

@GdeFondaumiere so no censorship on us/eu version of beyond two souls?

G de Fondaumiere ‏@GdeFondaumiere

@rumbalumba no, only extremely marginal, as with a lot of other games btw. To be honest, I did nor even remember exactly what these were!!

The Paris event will be streamed online.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/10/01/watch-the-beyond-two-souls-world-premiere-right-here-2/

I really hate how they replace the QTEs with the analog stick motion thing. In the demo, when she's doing a kick and her foot is rising up, I have no idea if it's supposed to be Right or Up.
Always right. It's only up if she is making a move towards a guy in front of her and the camera is behind her. It's really simple to be honest. Didn't fuck up once on my second run.

So do we know if david cage is using the same writers as heavy rain for this one?

Because if so, eesh.
Cage wrote Beyond. His first PS4 game will be written by 2 other guys (+him).

Well then I wish all of you in this OT the best of luck with this. After farenheit and heavy rain I would think that bar a minor miracle this is going to be a joke compared to other "interactive films" like TWD.
I enjoyed HR more than TWD, so I should be perfectly fine with Beyond. The gameplay at least is miles ahead judging from the demo.

I heard the NA version is censored... is this true? Still have my preorder but I am extremely dissapointed
It looks like US is uncut.

My enjoyment will rest on whether I personally feel it's a better adventure title than Heavy Rain. I haven't heard much encouraging, but I haven't really been following it closely either.
Quick warning then. The demo is very action heavy.

No MOVE support? Gamestop is only way to get Special Edition in US?

:grumble:
Unfortunately no Move support :/

Amagon

Man, time flies, forgot I preorder this game. I believe it will be worth it to be in blackout mode this long without getting myself spoiled.

Looking forward to Jim Sterling's review.
Yup. Everyone is expecting a negative rant, but the review is going to be rather positive I'm convinced. He actually liked the gameplay of Heavy Rain very much, he just disliked the voice acting, animation and the story (he spotted only the most obvious plot holes though). If Beyond is only a little bit better written, I expect an 8 or above (since the voice acting and animation issues are mostly fixed). Heavy Rain still got a 7 from him and Beyond looks much better across the board. Also Willem Dafoe.

I think some people will be surprised by his review.

No demo for EU yet?
Tomorrow.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

Can't take you seriously when you call these games "interactive films"

Cheska

Trying to go in as blind as possible, so I'm intentionally avoiding the demo. However, can't believe it's already almost the 8th :D

Top Bottom