• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Tagyhag

Not going to lie, I consider Cage a failed movie director who knows his stories will only be well received in the video game industry due to our incredibly low standards when it comes to stories and found Heavy Rain to be a huge example of that.

But for some reason...The demo for Beyond really hooked me. I can't explain it I have no idea what's going on but color me interested.

Ithil

I had a great timewith Heavy Rain despite the average voice acting and messy plot, I found it drenched in atmosphere and was engaged regardless. This so far looks like a much better game (the much better actors is a big plus), so I will be picking this up for sure.

Had to order a new controller, the controller that I had didn't have motion, it better come in time!
IT BETTER BE :D

It looks like one of those moviegames. I only rent moviegames. I may rent this moviegame.

If it is indeed a moviegame.
Well it is 10-15 hours long. I don't know if that's long enough for you.

Yeah, I played the early access one. I like it, but idk about the reputability. The demo got really boring after 2 runs.
Well, if you play it twice you can probably get 25 hours out of the game. More if you go for the platinum. Is that enough?

AColdDay

Has anyone mentioned how the game controls with the iphone app? I watched my wife play through Heavy Rain, and want to do the same with Beyond. She would be a lot more comfortable with her iphone, rather than the PS3 controller, so im curious how that works.

hwy_61

Banned
I'll be getting this day one as well. I like David Cage, he's a guy with different ideas. Gotta respect that.

Grisby

Played through Heavy Rain again a couple of weeks ago. Ready and waiting for this.

Banner year for the PS3.

Heavy Rain is one of my favorite games of all time... I've been waiting for something new by QD for a while! Walking Dead helped fill the void for a while but it's no Heavy Rain. Loved the demo, can't wait for this game!

I hope it has a lot of dialogue options and multiple endings like Heavy Rain

Tohsaka

So do we have confirmation as to whether the US version has been censored at all? I have the Special Edition pre-ordered but I may cancel it and wait for a price drop if it's indeed cut.

Making this the first game since I've rented since Spiderman 2 came out on the gamecube a good couple of years ago(simply for a lack of money atm). Can't wait to play this one.

Has anyone mentioned how the game controls with the iphone app? I watched my wife play through Heavy Rain, and want to do the same with Beyond. She would be a lot more comfortable with her iphone, rather than the PS3 controller, so im curious how that works.
Yup, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9RF_WwAsVc

Simple touch gestures for the most part. Press said it works well!

Not going to lie, I consider Cage a failed movie director who knows his stories will only be well received in the video game industry due to our incredibly low standards when it comes to stories and found Heavy Rain to be a huge example of that.

But for some reason...The demo for Beyond really hooked me. I can't explain it I have no idea what's going on but color me interested.
Well, I can tell you then that Cage never made a movie in his entire career. He started his career making music FOR videogames and then he wanted to make his own, which resulted in Omikron.

So do we have confirmation as to whether the US version has been censored at all? I have the Special Edition pre-ordered but I may cancel it and wait for a price drop if it's indeed cut.

there's been nothing but that german site. the eu version has cosmetically-altered scenes with a grand total of 5-10 seconds.

cancelling preorders over that? a mountain out of a molehill.

Replicant

Yes, you can apparently control the game with your phone instead of DS3. I'll add this to the OP but in the mean time, here's the download links:

iOS - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/beyond-touch/id691908718?mt=8
Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quanticdream.beyondtouch

Toxa

cage, page and dafoe at paris yeterday

988720_10202155636999439_1080490912_n.jpg

562932_10153302157285527_1878337644_n.jpg

dafoe is really cool

Tohsaka

there's been nothing but that german site. the eu version has cosmetically-altered scenes with a grand total of 5-10 seconds.

cancelling preorders over that? a mountain out of a molehill.

I just don't like supporting censored games on principle. It's ridiculous that it's even an issue in 2013 when we have other games like GTA with full nudity and even Quantic Dream's previous game which wasn't censored.

Tagyhag

Well, I can tell you then that Cage never made a movie in his entire career. He started his career making music FOR videogames and then he wanted to make his own, which resulted in Omikron.

Yeah, I just meant it in the way that he tries to mimic serious Hollywood movies themselves, without needing to reach their standards.

Man Omikron, that game was such a flawed gem.

Derrick01

Banned
Well it is 10-15 hours long. I don't know if that's long enough for you.

It's not length that's the problem for me it's the fact that after you beat it there's no point in keeping it and replaying it. Besides trophy whoring at least. I know I'm going to regret buying this but hopefully there will be a really good trade in deal.

I just don't like supporting censored games on principle. It's ridiculous that it's even an issue in 2013 when we have other games like GTA with full nudity and even Quantic Dream's previous game which wasn't censored.

it is not censored. that 5-10 seconds of altered scene was the difference between a pegi-16 and a pegi-18. will the scenes feature less blood? less violence? who cares, it is 10 seconds maximum. no one is going to lose sleep over 10 seconds worth of less gruesome scenes in a 13-hour game, and it is pathetic to turn down a game just for that. it is a wise business decision to make anyway. how many 16-17 year olds out there in eu? potential audience alone that was gained by altering that 5-10 seconds of content is in the millions.

It's not censored. The devs agreed long before production was finished to make these changes to hit PEGI 16. They feel this is the right rating for the game. Sony didn't force them and no one in the team feels these cosmetic changes are compromising their game. In fact, the executive producer already forgot they even made them.

I hope it has a lot of dialogue options and multiple endings like Heavy Rain
It has multiple endings yeah.

It looks like US is uncut.

Prompto

Banned
Man, October snuck up on me. Had no idea this game and Pokemon were coming out so soon. Can't wait to play it.

It's not length that's the problem for me it's the fact that after you beat it there's no point in keeping it and replaying it. Besides trophy whoring at least. I know I'm going to regret buying this but hopefully there will be a really good trade in deal.

The way I look at it, you can't come into this kind of game with the same expectations and demands you would a more "traditional" game. This is clearly trying to be something else. I will appreciate it for trying to be something else, and leave my normal expectations at the door.

Fair enough, that's true for most games I suppose (couldn't care less about MP). But it is nice of you to buy it at least.

You picking this up? I'm considering renting it and giving it as fair a chance as I can muster after Heavy Rain.
Missed the demo thread? Duke enjoyed what he played. Just try the demo out for yourself?

DukeBobby

You picking this up? I'm considering renting it and giving it as fair a chance as I can muster after Heavy Rain.

Yep, picking up the special edition. Heavy Rain had a ton of flaws, but I still enjoyed it for what it was.

Beyond appears to have rectified the voice acting issues, so that's something. Story issues? Remains to be seen.

Tohsaka

it is not censored. that 5-10 seconds of altered scene was the difference between a pegi-16 and a pegi-18. will the scenes feature less blood? less violence? who cares, it is 10 seconds maximum. no one is going to lose sleep over 10 seconds worth of less gruesome scenes in a 13-hour game, and it is pathetic to turn down a game just for that. it is a wise business decision to make anyway. how many 16-17 year olds out there in eu? potential audience alone that was gained by altering that 5-10 seconds of content is in the millions.

How many 16-17 year olds even know this game exists? I really doubt they're the target audience for a game like this, certainly not millions of them. I never said I would skip the game entirely anyway, just that I wouldn't get it for full price day one if it was censored.

It looks like US is uncut.
Sounds good, I'll keep my pre-order.

Derrick01

Banned
The way I look at it, you can't come into this kind of game with the same expectations and demands you would a more "tradition" game. This is clearly trying to be something else. I will appreciate it for trying to be something else, and leave my normal expectations at the door.

I'm ok with the type of game it is and everything. It's just one of the consequences of being so story driven and cinematic is that it's like a movie, there's no point in going through it again after the 1st time. That's why I've never actually bought a vhs/dvd/blu ray in my life. That's also why I'm so conflicted about buying this but my renting options aren't very good here either. I guess if I look at it like I'm only actually paying about $20 for it once you factor in the trade in amount then it's not so bad.

Is the trophy list out?
Not yet.

Yeah, I just meant it in the way that he tries to mimic serious Hollywood movies themselves, without needing to reach their standards.

Man Omikron, that game was such a flawed gem.
You can think whatever you want, but you have to understand that even if the writing in his games suck and he "tries" to make them look like movies, this is still exactly what he wants to make. He really doesn't want to make movies. There are countless interviews on this where he mentions that he has the chance to switch at any point, because he has enough money and contacts to do it. He even got offers in the past. But he doesn't care, because he is excited about this medium, even if it is in a different way.

Today/Tomorrow is the big launch event in Paris btw. We should see some nice pictures of Dafoe and Page then.

I hope the spoiler thread goes up as soon as possible. Maybe this weekend as some people will probably get the game early.
Please no :/ I have to wait till October 11th + UK-Germany shipping time before I can play it. Man that's going to be one hell of a tempting thread then. Couldn't resist on TLOU either :(

Fantastic OT, the game is out in a week here but probably I will get it one day early, can't wait!. Gonna play some Heavy Rain this days.

DukeBobby

Please no :/ I have to wait till October 11th + UK-Germany shipping time before I can play it. Man that's going to be one hell of a tempting thread then. Couldn't resist on TLOU either :(

Yeah, that's probably too early. Still, it's likely that a poster might get over-excited and post a little too much information in this thread.

I can't remember the last time it didn't happen.

Top Bottom