• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Just played the demo for this. Was pretty impressive.

One issue I had are some weird artifacts showed up on Jodie's face after she gets on the motorcycle. She didn't have those in the trailer, so it must be some sort of glitch?

Anyone else get this?
It's a glitch yes. Never had these problems in the demo, but it seems like the final game doesn't have these issues period. No one reported anything like it. Apart from some crashes it seems like the game is almost bug free. Didn't expect anything less though, they hired one of the best QA managers in the industry.

oneils

It's a glitch yes. Never had these problems in the demo, but it seems like the final game doesn't have these issues period. No one reported anything like it. Apart from some crashes it seems like the game is almost bug free. Didn't expect anything less though, they hired one of the best QA managers in the industry.

Was the glitch reported by others? Just wondering if it is the demo itself or the PS3.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Likely. But even if not, it was still quite the traumatic experience. I mean she goes out for the first time in like 3 years and then this happens. It's only natural to be afraid after that. Of course it doesn't help that Aiden reminds her 1 hour before the date. If you skip the bar or leave early then nothing of that happens obviously.

How ends the bar-chapter, when you get out of the bar early? I didnt left, so the men attacked me.

Was the glitch reported by others? Just wondering if it is the demo itself or the PS3.
Yes. I saw at least 5 reports of this bug in the demo thread. No one of them complained about the final game, so I assume the bug was fixed. The demo build is quite old too, so this is hardly surprising.

How ends the bar-chapter, when you get out of the bar early? I didnt left, so the men attacked me.
Not sure, but I saw the option pop up and then you can press circle to leave or x to stay. I assume she will just wander off from the scene and then the DPA is going to track her down based on Cole's car. Or maybe she goes back by herself. Will try it at some point.

DukeBobby

Finished it yesterday. Some impressions:

The review scores are spot on. By this I mean that both the 4's and 9's are justifiable (although Ausgamers' 2.5 is just ridiculous).

There are two ways of looking at this game. Firstly, as a linear, cohesive narrative focusing on the life of Jodie Holmes between the ages of 8 and 23. Judging it this way, the game is a complete disaster, in my opinion. The game consists of a bunch of loosely connected scenes that never quite come together to form anything remotely interesting. Instead, we get some terrible sci-fi nonsense which left me groaning throughout. Also, every major character except for Jodie is severely underdeveloped, and the non-chronological storytelling did the game no favours whatsoever. Looking at it this way, the game is a 4.

However, I, as well as many other in this thread, have chosen to look at this game in a different way: as a series of vignettes, individual slices of Jodie's life, with many of them having a self-contained storyline. Here, Cage both succeeds and fails, but more of the former than the latter. At its very best (Homeless), the game approaches GOTY quality, with this particular sequence succeeding on all fronts. Sure, Homeless is melodramatic as fuck, but Cage pulls it off perfectly, creating one of my favourite gaming moments of the year. However, at its worst (Navajo), it is probably the most boring thing I've played this year. While thematically interesting, I thought the execution of that chapter was laughably bad, with a cast of ridiculous caricatures, who I felt no connection to. Overall, the good far outweighs the bad, and unlike Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit, I can count the number of bad chapters in this game on one hand.

In a lot of ways, Beyond is very similar to Forrest Gump, although Cage is unable to succeed in his effort to make an 'epic'. Although, I have to give him credit for attempting it, and he is definitely on to something here. It is very ambitious attempt, and there are certain sequences that are entirely unique to gaming. Quantic Dream are on the verge of creating something truly special, but Cage is holding them back from true greatness. If he gets help from more accomplished writers (Cage is apparently scouting for writers for his next project), and if the studio perfects their style of gameplay, Quantic Dream's next game could be the masterpiece they've been wanting to make since Omikron. I'm very excited to see what they do next.

There's not much to be said about the graphics that hasn't already been said a million times in this thread. They are pretty phenomenal, with some scenes approaching next-gen quality. The soundtrack is also superb, but it's not as prominent as I would have wanted. C'mon, I wanted the whole of Dawkins' Suite, not just bits of it. Gameplay wise, I was a little disappointed by the number of things to interact with in the quieter, mundane moments. I felt like there were more in Heavy Rain. Surprisingly, I enjoyed the more 'gamey' moments, and thought Quantic Dream pulled them off rather well. I would like to see more of these in their next project.

It's a very difficult game to score. I've been toying between a 7 or an 8 out of 10, but based on the strength of certain scenes and the great foundations that have been laid, at a push, I'd give it an 8.

EDIT: If I did half scores, it would be a 7.5.

So I just did "The Dinner" chapter. Apparently
Jodie couldn't hook up with Ryan due to the bar. That scene happened so quickly that I wonder if it was cut in a weird way to avoid showing us more. Like maybe the guy did more to Jodie than just throw her on the pool table?

So if the bar event doesn't happen, you can hook up with Ryan?
You can never tell how much time has passed between some of these events and that's one thing I dislike. As scattered as the timeline is, I really think it comes down to Ellen Paige and the fact that from like 14-30 she pretty much looks the same.

I thought she was like... 15 or 16 around the bar scene and at least 21 by "The Dinner" since Ryan brings her alcohol.

Alastor3

so im still confuse, US got censored nude scene and European got censored violent scene right ? I know it's not a big issue and I don't mind buying a version with censored thing but with university and no job at the moment, I will probably have to wait until Christmas before buying the game so I wonder if I should wait for a couple of more time for a director cut or just pick the game for Christmas. Thanks!

You can never tell how much time has passed between some of these events and that's one thing I dislike. As scattered as the timeline is, I really think it comes down to Ellen Paige and the fact that from like 14-30 she pretty much looks the same.

I thought she was like... 15 or 16 around the bar scene and at least 21 by "The Dinner" since Ryan brings her alcohol.
Timeline here (also shows her age): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=85854097&postcount=236
They give enough hints so you can figure it out. It's also consistent.

Sorian

Banned

People can be scarred by something for more than 30 seconds :p

Finished it yesterday. Some impressions:

The review scores are spot on. By this I mean that both the 4's and 9's are justifiable (although Ausgamers' 2.5 is just ridiculous).

There are two ways of looking at this game. Firstly, as a linear, cohesive narrative focusing on the life of Jodie Holmes between the ages of 8 and 23. Judging it this way, the game is a complete disaster, in my opinion. The game consists of a bunch of loosely connected scenes that never quite come together to form anything remotely interesting. Instead, we get some terrible sci-fi nonsense which left me groaning throughout. Also, every major character except for Jodie is severely underdeveloped, and the non-chronological storytelling did the game no favours whatsoever. Looking at it this way, the game is a 4.

However, I, as well as many other in this thread, have chosen to look at this game in a different way: as a series of vignettes, individual slices of Jodie's life, with many of them having a self-contained storyline. Here, Cage both succeeds and fails, but more of the former than the latter. At its very best (Homeless), the game approaches GOTY quality, with this particular sequence succeeding on all fronts. Sure, Homeless is melodramatic as fuck, but Cage pulls it off perfectly, creating one of my favourite gaming moments of the year. However, at its worst (Navajo), it is probably the most boring thing I've played this year. While thematically interesting, I thought the execution of that chapter was laughably bad, with a cast of ridiculous caricatures, who I felt no connection to. Overall, the good far outweighs the bad, and unlike Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit, I can count the number of bad chapters in this game on one hand.

In a lot of ways, Beyond is very similar to Forrest Gump, although Cage is unable to succeed in his effort to make an 'epic'. Although, I have to give him credit for attempting it, and he is definitely on to something here. It is very ambitious attempt, and there are certain sequences that are entirely unique to gaming. Quantic Dream are on the verge of creating something truly special, but Cage is holding them back from true greatness. If he gets help from more accomplished writers (Cage is apparently scouting for writers for his next project), and if the studio perfects their style of gameplay, Quantic Dream's next game could be the masterpiece they've been wanting to make since Omikron. I'm very excited to see what they do next.

There's not much to be said about the graphics that hasn't already been said a million times in this thread. They are pretty phenomenal, with some scenes approaching next-gen quality. The soundtrack is also superb, but it's not as prominent as I would have wanted. C'mon, I wanted the whole of Dawkins' Suite, not just bits of it. Gameplay wise, I was a little disappointed by the number of things to interact with in the quieter, mundane moments. I felt like there were more in Heavy Rain. Surprisingly, I enjoyed the more 'gamey' moments, and thought Quantic Dream pulled them off rather well. I would like to see more of these in their next project.

It's a very difficult game to score. I've been toying between a 7 or an 8 out of 10, but based on the strength of certain scenes and the great foundations that have been laid, at a push, I'd give it an 8.

EDIT: If I did half scores, it would be a 7.5.
Good post. I would say the lowest I would go is a 5. Just average. 4 is a bit too low IMO. But I agree with almost all your points. I love the ending, but the story itself is really not interesting at all. At least it is consistent and doesn't throw shit at you without any explanations like Fahrenheit.

They hired 2 additional writers for their PS4 project. They are mentioned in the Special Thanks.

so im still confuse, US got censored nude scene and European got censored violent scene right ? I know it's not a big issue and I don't mind buying a version with censored thing but with university and no job at the moment, I will probably have to wait until Christmas before buying the game so I wonder if I should wait for a couple of more time for a director cut or just pick the game for Christmas. Thanks!
I'm pretty sure there is nothing censored in the US version. If there is, then I didn't notice it.

DukeBobby

Good post. I would say the lowest I would go is a 5. Just average. 4 is a bit too low IMO. But I agree with almost all your points. I love the ending, but the story itself is really not interesting at all. At least it is consistent and doesn't throw shit at you without any explanations like Fahrenheit.

Ah, yes, I forgot to mention the ending. I agree with you, it was very satisfying.

Replicant

Played up to "The Party" last night. Really enjoyed myself. And boy, I went
completely postal as Aiden and seriously hurt/injured those kids. They deserve every pain I inflicted on them

panda21

yikes i'm bailing out of here too much information.

just came in to say this isn't a GOTY contender, its getting GOTY zoned 99% on monday. I really don't understand the review scores, scoring it as a 'linear story' is stupid, because it isn't presented as a linear story.

oneils

Yes. I saw at least 5 reports of this bug in the demo thread. No one of them complained about the final game, so I assume the bug was fixed. The demo build is quite old too, so this is hardly surprising.

Not sure, but I saw the option pop up and then you can press circle to leave or x to stay. I assume she will just wander off from the scene and then the DPA is going to track her down based on Cole's car. Or maybe she goes back by herself. Will try it at some point.

Thanks!

Andrew.

Banned
Man..... Fuck. At the Homeless chapter.

Wasn't expecting it to look that good and then we get the
Tuesday birth scene

Wasnt expecting that. At all.

Really well done. The chills. The need I say it: "feels."

Damn you Cage and your emotional driven philosophy.

DukeBobby

Man..... Fuck. At the Homeless chapter.

Wasn't expecting it to look that good and then we get the
Tuesday birth scene

Wasnt expecting that. At all.

Really well done. The chills. The need I say it: "feels."

Damn you Cage and your emotional driven philosophy.

Easily the best chapter in the game. Man, if Quantic Dream created an entire game filled with moments like that, it would be fucking incredible.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
He already edited his post. The open desert section runs with 15-20 FPS with this hack. This is reason enough that they put the bars there. I guess the framerate is well above 30 FPS in some parts (which is quite impressive), so it doesn't matter that much. But some sections become borderline nasty.
I see. Desert sections are probably 20-25FPS with original game, it's one of the sections where the game is definitely not 30.

Bladenic

Saving the last mission for tomorrow. The part where
you go underwater and get attacked by the water leviathan was awesome, I wish it would have been longer.

Just had to say, Jodie with the long hair is best Jodie.
When it's down to her shoulders, aw yiss.
YES! During Separation especially she just looks awesome. Love that character model.

Easily the best chapter in the game. Man, if Quantic Dream created an entire game filled with moments like that, it would be fucking incredible.
I would probably commit suicide because of depression lol

I honestly thought the reason that the story is a jumbled mess is because Cage had no idea how to connect anything logically and comes up with some half assed handwave at the end. Then I realised what a nightmare this must have been to playtest. If you had played chronologically it would have been the videogame form of a rubber band, so I think they made the right call.
Homeless
was my favourite chapter. Lots of melodrama and stupid contrivances but also some very interesting intimate moments. A game of low lows and high highs. But man, DEM GRAPHICS!

no, it's meant to change up the gameplay. playing as young jodie for 3 hours straight won't be very fun, just like playing as older jodie for 3 hours straight.

maltrain

GREAT game in my opinion.

I don't know you, but I loved the DLC chapter at the CIA training field.

More parts like that on the game would be awesome... :)

Just finished this. Feels like the longest tech demo I've ever witnessed.

Heavy Rain, for all of its faults had wild consequences that made each player's experience feel completely unique. Characters could die, and that would weave itself into the overall story. Playing with environmental clues had more weight when you were trying to unravel a murder mystery.

Beyond Two Souls is different. Nothing feels consequential until the end, and throughout the game you aren't able to really choose the where or the when or the how. You can walk around the rooms that make up the cinematics, and you can examine bits of the world, but any actual gameplay is relegated to pushing forward to advance the reel, with unnatural pauses in between where the game plays at you having agency.

BTS is like a movie with special features that let you stop time and swoosh around the current scene along with pause, play and stop buttons.

Count me in with the lowest of review scores. Its one thing to offer up a linear story with almost no interactivity, but its another thing entirely to put up a pretense that things are otherwise.

To think of all the shit Ryse has gotten for its no-fail QTE gameplay. Looks like somebody has them beat.

Bladenic

The chapter titled
Norah was really good IMO. Suitably creepy. I went in to every room with Aiden, and some of the reactions were very unnerving. Like one guy saying "I see you Aiden."

Elios83

Posting this here as well since it's the OT:

I finished the game a few days ago and I've tried to play it in different ways.
My overall opinion is really positive. The story is great and overall much better than the one in Heavy Rain which had plot holes and lost steam when the identity of the killer is uncovered.
The game does an amazing job with graphics, the acting is top notch and there are many emotional moments, you really feel sorry for what the main character is going through, especially during her childhood and adolescence. Also there is a lot of variety in the events, you have funny moments
(the dinner)
, chapters which seem short movies within the story
(homeless and navajo)
and also tragic moments
(norah)
Controls are much better and I liked the action missions, especially the last one before the ending of the game.
The game is a big improvement over HR in most aspects but unfortunately it feels much more scripted compared to HR on the first playthrough (which obviously is the most important). There is a LOT of interactivity and different ways to complete chapters but all the key decisions which have an actual impact of the story are mostly precise choices that you have to make at some point (help or not, kill or not, escape or not) and they don't depend on how good you're at playing, that unfortunately goes against the spirit of a game and it's more in line with what a movie offers.
There's also a situation in the game where you really have to fail on purpose if you want a different outcome
when Jodie has to escape to go out on saturday night.
Also the fact that performing basic actions has been simplified with the right stick has made those kinda boring, same sensation you have when you have to press X to skip text.
So as I said overall I really liked the game as an experience and for the story, many aspects are top notch and a great improvement over their previous game, but unfortuantely a few decisions are clearly a step back.
My vote is a 8.5 (with a 0.5 added for the replay value of the different chapters).

FINALBOSS

Banned
So I returned the game back to Redbox after not playing it for the last few days. I just couldn't get back into it..so I just read the rest of the game on Wikipedia. I stopped at the first scene when you're in Africa or something and you're in that army tent.

I really enjoyed what I played though. The game was fucking gorgeous. I'm just too hyped up for next-gen at this point.

Dead

well not really...yet
Finished Homeless earlier...got to Navajo and stopped for the night...

Amazing chapter though. The moment where you can
pick up the guitar and sing was...just beautiful. Was that actually Ellen Page singing? If so she did an incredible job...

Game is just beautiful so far... Doing a few chapters a night, getting as much mileage as possible out of the first play through...

Oh yeah, regarding Homeless...
I failed escaping the burning building and Stan went inside to save me...then ended up in a coma...how different was the outcome of the chapter if you successfully escape on your own?

I've reported a bug in the spoiler thread, seems someone has had the same happen to them too, so there certainly are some bugs in the game still. But it's a great game!

pick up the guitar and sing was...just beautiful. Was that actually Ellen Page singing? If so she did an incredible job...

Yes, it was. They recorded it kind of in an impromptu session; there's mo-cap footage of it on YouTube somewhere.

DieH@rd

Banned
Oh yeah, regarding Homeless...
I failed escaping the burning building and Stan went inside to save me...then ended up in a coma...how different was the outcome of the chapter if you successfully escape on your own?

You jump down, but those assholes who wanted to beat up Stan appear and smack Jodie in the head with the baseball bat as a revenge.

Is it just me, or does Paco Mendez from Heavy Rain look very similar to the sheriff in Beyond: Two Souls?
It's the same actor actually :D

Heavy Rain, for all of its faults had wild consequences that made each player's experience feel completely unique. Characters could die, and that would weave itself into the overall story. Playing with environmental clues had more weight when you were trying to unravel a murder mystery.

Beyond Two Souls is different. Nothing feels consequential until the end, and throughout the game you aren't able to really choose the where or the when or the how. You can walk around the rooms that make up the cinematics, and you can examine bits of the world, but any actual gameplay is relegated to pushing forward to advance the reel, with unnatural pauses in between where the game plays at you having agency.

BTS is like a movie with special features that let you stop time and swoosh around the current scene along with pause, play and stop buttons.

Count me in with the lowest of review scores. Its one thing to offer up a linear story with almost no interactivity, but its another thing entirely to put up a pretense that things are otherwise.

To think of all the shit Ryse has gotten for its no-fail QTE gameplay. Looks like somebody has them beat.
I actually agree with some of your points. I still liked the story and characters and as a fan of interactive fiction this was exactly what I wanted. Not really comparable to Ryse, which pretends to be an action game IMO. But I hope they combine some things from Heavy Rain and Beyond for their PS4 game.

So while I was looking into how the resolution/aspect ratio hack worked, I found out that it could be done through a config file rather than a hacked executable (like the one I downloaded). That config file (runtime.sdat) can also enable a debug menu with the ability to stop time and use a free camera.
iJkZVlWC8zpV3.png

You can even do portrait with it.
i1TJmo5eLWiSd.png

I posted more images in the spoiler thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86109091&postcount=337
(Potentially very minor spoilers for the following missions:
The Dinner, Night Session, and The Mission
)

Finished Homeless earlier...got to Navajo and stopped for the night...

It was her singing. You can find mo-cap footage here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EClYp9AkgGc

The chapter titled
Norah was really good IMO. Suitably creepy. I went in to every room with Aiden, and some of the reactions were very unnerving. Like one guy saying "I see you Aiden."
Yup. That was creepy and actually kinda important to the plot.

So I returned the game back to Redbox after not playing it for the last few days. I just couldn't get back into it..so I just read the rest of the game on Wikipedia. I stopped at the first scene when you're in Africa or something and you're in that army tent.

I really enjoyed what I played though. The game was fucking gorgeous. I'm just too hyped up for next-gen at this point.
Well, you were almost done lol

Psykotik

So while I was looking into how the resolution/aspect ratio hack worked, I found out that it could be done through a config file rather than a hacked executable (like the one I downloaded). That config file (runtime.sdat) can also enable a debug menu with the ability to stop time and use a free camera.

[/SPOILER])

free camera?

you know what to do. PM me the pics!

fvng

Reading a lot of this thread, I feel like the GAF consensus is that this game is good which to me indicates how much game critics are disconnected from what people actually want.

Chev

Now that would be interesting. NSFW Spoilers!
Yes, yes, it allows for exactly what you're thinking of, pics have been making the rounds on some other parts of the web since last thursday, a mere google search is probably enough to get to them easily now. In a way, would've been odd if there wasn't something like this in a QD game. EDIT: Well, looks like the spoiler thread has links.

Psykotik

Yes, yes, it allows for exactly what you're thinking of, pics have been making the rounds on some other parts of the web since last thursday, a mere google search is probably enough to get to them easily now. In a way, would've been odd if there wasn't something like this in a QD game. EDIT: Well, looks like the spoiler thread has links.

already seen those. need better shots!

better yet, video!

qd has said time and time again that this is different than heavy rain, and it was so obvious from the get-go that this game's focus is not on making choices.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Did anyone figure out yet what was censored in the EU and the US version of the game? I've noticed in the US version, the two showers scenes that the game had so far had convenient camera positions and towel placement to cover her up, which was not really the case in Heavy Rain if I remember correctly. Is that it?

pick up the guitar and sing
Completely missed that. Where was it that you could do that?

Did anyone figure out yet what was censored in the EU and the US version of the game? I've noticed in the US version, the two showers scenes that the game had so far had convenient camera positions and towel placement to cover her up, which was not really the case in Heavy Rain if I remember correctly. Is that it?

I don't imagine there would be nudity in the game to begin with, unless Ellen Page actually signed off on a digital likeness of her appearing nude.

Top Bottom