• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Andrew.

Banned
I'm surprised a lot of people seem to like the Mission. I didn't enjoy playing through it and it was the first time I both wanted more control, and could actually tell the impact of the "no game over"

I just dug the fluidity of approaching enemies and moving around. QD will never add "more control." Seamless is their middle name.

Replicant

I can't really tell what you're asking but if you want to redo the david stuff and save, it will overwrite what you have now and make you redo the rest of the game from that point on.

Yeah, that's what I want to do. I don't mind redoing the Najavo chapter from the beginning and I haven't gone on to the next chapter anyway. So my previous
Dead David will be not dead when I completed the game at the end, right?

I really disliked Homeless. It just throws too much at you in too short of a time period (
initial fight->store robbery->baby delivery->save everyone from a burning building->leap from a burning building which all seems to take place in the span of a few days
). Maybe it would have had more impact if those events had been spread across multiple chapters.
Combine that with the choices you are presented with towards the end, it feels a little haphazard. Navajo has the same problem to a lesser extent.

I love Homeless because it reminds me so much of Satoshi Kon's "Tokyo Godfather".

fvng

The Mission showed real potential for a full game like that IMO. It was pretty great.

And yeah, The Party conflict was ridiculous.
"oh no a book what a freak lets lock the weirdo away in a crawl space." Like, really?

I feel like there could be DLC for other CIA missions Jodie went on, there's a ton of DLC possiblities.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I didn't know you can
save David from death
. Now I have to replay that part. Would replaying and saving from that point would do the job and erase my previous mistake?
Who is David lol? You need to replay from that chapter yeah. Select the chapter, enable save and then play the game from there normally. You have to replay everything after that chapter though. For example you can't just replay a chapter and then skip 5 chapters ahead or something.

Holy shit at The Mission.

I'll take a Quantic Dream Metal Gear over that Kojima garbage any day.
Yeah I was surprised at how good it was. Pretty well designed overall. Maybe their next game is stealth and this scene was a test for it lol

The Mission showed real potential for a full game like that IMO. It was pretty great.

And yeah, The Party conflict was ridiculous.
"oh no a book what a freak lets lock the weirdo away in a crawl space." Like, really?
I think of it more as an excuse. They wanted to do it all evening long, they just needed a reason.

Darknight

I have never understood this complaint in any video game. When is supernatural ANYTHING believable? It is never believable, that is the entire nature and definition of supernatural.

You do understand suspension of disbelief is required for SciFi right?

You mentioned similarities to Akira. Did Akira's unbelievablity get in the way of your enjoyment of the film? Seems like an unnecessary strike against any work of fiction.

There wasn't a single moment of Pacific Rim where I thought it was possible, but was still a good movie.

I agree and I dont like the nit picking at Jodie having pink pajamas as a kid and having dolls in her room.

I actually dont mind the "clichés" found in the game. When was the last time I read a book or watched a film with
Native American ancestors having some spiritual juju?
Like zero in the past 4 years so that chapter with it was interested. I just found it some what long and didnt like Jodie's clothing in this part. She looked like a biker but I suppose it from the boy's clothes.

I think some of you here are way older than me or watch like too much tv/films/media in general.

Caode

Sort of enjoying it so far, I think it's a bit disjointed in parts.. some sections work really well, others just don't seem to come together as well as they potentially could have. Basically when it's good, it's fucking great.. when it's bad.. it's disappointing more than anything. I think Heavy Rain (albeit a very different game) was a far superior effort.

Now then, that said, I'm currently just at the part where
Jodie and the team are in the snow looking for shelter, literally just started it, the scene after Jodie meets her real mother.
how far would you say I am in to the story at this point?

Sort of enjoying it so far, I think it's a bit disjointed in parts.. some sections work really well, others just don't seem to come together as well as they potentially could have. Basically when it's good, it's fucking great.. when it's bad.. it's disappointing more than anything. I think Heavy Rain (albeit a very different game) was a far superior effort.

Now then, that said, I'm currently just at the part where
Jodie and the team are in the snow looking for shelter, literally just started it, the scene after Jodie meets her real mother.
how far would you say I am in to the story at this point?

You're almost done. Maybe...2 more hours? Possibly 3.

So the end has a huge glaring plot hole right?
Cole said the self destruct would kill them all no? Yet they survive.
He only said the "explosion" would be instantaneous and chances are slim that they would be coming back. There wasn't a real explosion though, the thing just collapsed pretty much. Probably because of the huge size. They were pretty much in the center of it. Since that thing was so huge, the properties of the other smaller condensors likely don't apply and Cole was wrong (according to him no one was ever down there anyway). The dome wasn't damaged at all for example. Just some smoke and fire. Even Jodie and Ryan were pretty surprised that they survived.

Would I be wrong in assuming that there's possibly more DLC like the special edition Advanced Experiments scene coming? For as short as it was, it still utilised a lot of mechanics that weren't in the main game at all and a lot of work must have gone into it. Serious Portal vibes from playing it just now. It even has a 'run' button ffs, could've used that in the main game for sure!

Just seems it might be a waste if that one 20 minute piece of DLC is all that comes of it imo..
They said they are open to more DLCs if Beyond sells well. So we will get nothing :/

Yeah, that's what I want to do. I don't mind redoing the Najavo chapter from the beginning and I haven't gone on to the next chapter anyway. So my previous
Dead David will be not dead when I completed the game at the end, right?
Yeah this should work. Just enable saving.
Also I think you mean Paul and not David lol

Andrew.

Banned
Cage still hasn't been able to top Theory of a Deadmans "Santa Monica " in Indigo/Fahrenheit.

He doesn't get enough props for getting Badalamenti (Twin Peaks) for the score either.

Caode

Cage still hasn't been able to top Theory of a Deadmans "Santa Monica " in Indigo/Fahrenheit.

He doesn't get enough props for getting Badalamenti (Twin Peaks) for the score either.

I really need to play Fahrenheit, I remember playing the demo back in the day before it came out and wanting it so bad but I just couldn't afford it at the time and never got around to getting it then in the end up.

Andrew.

Banned
I really need to play Fahrenheit, I remember playing the demo back in the day before it came out and wanting it so bad but I just couldn't afford it at the time and never got around to getting it then in the end up.

It's his best work in my opinion and thanks to Beyond I just ordered the OG Xbox version five minutes ago because it's been ages since I played it. It's BC with the 360 so rock on for that.

alterno69

Banned
I finally had time to sit down and play this, i'm not feeling it after playing around six chapters or so. Does it pick up soon or is this what i should be expecting for the rest of the game. For the record, i fucking loved Heavy Rain, one of my favorite current gen games. But Heavy Rain was way more tense and exciting, i feel like so far i have only been following orders in Beyond.

Please tell me it gets much better.

I'm a couple of chapters after the demo part of the story.

DukeBobby

If you ever get around to it, play the first half and then set fire to the disc.

If you get it on PC, set fire to your rig, just to be safe.

Ishida

Banned
I finally had time to sit down and play this, i'm not feeling it after playing around six chapters or so. Does it pick up soon or is this what i should be expecting for the rest of the game. For the record, i fucking loved Heavy Rain, one of my favorite current gen games. But Heavy Rain was way more tense and exciting, i feel like so far i have only been following orders in Beyond.

It does get much, MUCH better.

Andrew.

Banned
If you ever get around to it, play the first half and then set fire to the disc.

If you get it on PC, set fire to your rig, just to be safe.

Don't see the point in getting panties in an uproar because of how crazy Indigo gets at the end. All of Cages games get fucking crazy at the end. That's one of the staples of his philosophy apparently.

They said they are open to more DLCs if Beyond sells well. So we will get nothing :/

Huh? Haven't seen anything to indicate the game isn't selling well. I know it's got some ridiculous competition at retail to contend with, but I think it should do nicely in the long run, like Heavy Rain did.

Or did I miss something?

Carl

Finished the game and cried like a bitch. This game man... This fucking game. How the fuck anyone gave it less than a ~7/10 is beyond me.

fvng

Another instance of contradiction was when
Jodie wakes up in Nathan's office after being taken in by the CIA: In this case Jodie went out of the office, saw the big Condenser. Nathan then shows up and tells her "Impressive, isn't it? The world's biggest condenser!" and Jodie somehow doesn't comment or react to its existence, despite the fact that the narrative's and Jodie's general opposition against this technology had been established beforehand.

Really man? Nathan was referring to its scale, not the fact that it exists. The fact that it was so enormous compared to the original one, regardless of whether or not she approves of it, she can still appreciate the logistical achievement behind it.
Besides, Nathan was a little bit off his rocker by the final chapter of the game, so asking him to be that consistent is unrealistic.

I'm surprised a lot of people seem to like the Mission. I didn't enjoy playing through it and it was the first time I both wanted more control, and could actually tell the impact of the "no game over" stuff.

I agree but it was still an enjoyable chapter. I feel like there should have been an advanced gamer difficulty mode where you more control of her.. I understand why they only let you kill/possess certain soldiers though.. If you could easily kill every soldier with Aiden, the game is less challenging than it already is.

I agree and I dont like the nit picking at Jodie having pink pajamas as a kid and having dolls in her room.

Agreed, why do gender stereotypes have to be challenged at every single point right? I know girls who still love pink things and it's not unfaithful to portray a young girl this way especially in American society.

iammeiam

Really man? Nathan was referring to its scale, not the fact that it exists. The fact that it was so enormous compared to the original one.

That exchange kind of frustrated me in terms of Jodie character continuity, too.
The last time we see Jodie talking about condensers, its her in The Condenser chapter pleading with Nathan to make sure the government never, ever makes another condenser again given the harrowing experience she's just had. Then she goes off to the CIA, does the escape, blah blah blah.

She and Nathan reunite, he goes "Remember those things you wanted the government to stop making? I HAVE MADE THE BIGGEST AND BESTEST ONE EVER!" and she totally doesn't react. No disappointment, no "are you fucking INSANE", nothing.

And, yes, you can interpolate that she obviously must have come to terms with the whole thing and gotten over her objections off-camera, but it is fairly poor storytelling to establish "Jodie thinks X" in one chapter, then have Jodie apparently no longer think X in another chapter, with no connective tissue. And it happens more than once. The game likes to skip weird parts of Jodie's character development.

Slurmer

Banned

It gets better and worse at different parts. Beyond's highs are higher than anything HR achieved, but HR was more consistently good. It's worth finishing for sure, but heavy rain is the better game IMO.

It gets better, although you better get used to the lack of tension. It's no murder mystery. More of a character drama. There is no real plot until the last 2 hours of the game. The plot is Jodie. Play each chapter focusing on her life and how this moment affects her personality and fits into the overall picture. Each chapter has something important to say about her. You have to fully immersive yourself into her character or else it probably won't work.

Maria Topley Bird son. That was the shit.

Don't see the point in getting panties in an uproar because of how crazy Indigo gets at the end. All of Cages games get fucking crazy at the end. That's one of the staples of his philosophy apparently.
Nah. Beyond doesn't even get remotely as crazy as Indigo. And what it does it explains, so it is fine in my book.

I just wanted to come in here and confess my love for this game. I finished my first playthrough last Thursday, and completed my second playthrough earlier today. Beyond is not perfect, but it sure is exciting and engaging. I say it's not perfect only because I have issues with the controls during fights. Besides that, though, I love the characters, especially Jay, and the graphics are just flat out amazing. The way the chapters are done is interesting, and the story made me shed some tears. I really can't wait to play through the game again. I'm definitely here for anything David Cage puts out now. I loved Heavy Rain, and now I love Beyond. I'm just really happy I was able to get this game. It's kind of sad that it's going to be the last PS3 game I play, though, but it's a great game to end this generation on. :)

That exchange kind of frustrated me in terms of Jodie character continuity, too.
The last time we see Jodie talking about condensers, its her in The Condenser chapter pleading with Nathan to make sure the government never, ever makes another condenser again given the harrowing experience she's just had. Then she goes off to the CIA, does the escape, blah blah blah.

She and Nathan reunite, he goes "Remember those things you wanted the government to stop making? I HAVE MADE THE BIGGEST AND BESTEST ONE EVER!" and she totally doesn't react. No disappointment, no "are you fucking INSANE", nothing.
Cole already told her during Old Friends that they build another one. So there is no reason for her to be surprised really. It's also the first time she is seeing Nathan in 6 years. She obviously has a lot of feelings going on during that moment than to worry about the condenser. Her facial expressions make it clear that she doesn't approve.

Huh? Haven't seen anything to indicate the game isn't selling well. I know it's got some ridiculous competition at retail to contend with, but I think it should do nicely in the long run, like Heavy Rain did.

Or did I miss something?
UK charts are pretty mediocre. Hoping for NPD, but not expecting any miracles unfortunately.

Finished the game and cried like a bitch. This game man... This fucking game. How the fuck anyone gave it less than a ~7/10 is beyond me.
Ending is beautiful yo.

Carl

I see what you did there.

I'm glad someone did!

Now i kinda want to play through it again and make some different choices (if i remember what I did the first time), but also I kinda feel the ending was "my ending" and i don't want to change it just yet.

Hmm

There's nothing in this game that tops the first half of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy. That was one of the most amazing game experiences I've ever had, until it fell off the roller coaster.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've been staying out of this thread since I expected it to be a David Cage hate train but I'm glad people are liking this game. Like Heavy Rain, it's not without it's flaws but I really love the themes, characters, and material covered. Definitely one I'll remember for a long time.

I just wanted to come in here and confess my love for this game. I finished my first playthrough last Thursday, and completed my second playthrough earlier today. Beyond is not perfect, but it sure is exciting and engaging. I say it's not perfect only because I have issues with the controls during fights. Besides that, though, I love the characters, especially Jay, and the graphics are just flat out amazing. The way the chapters are done is interesting, and the story made me shed some tears. I really can't wait to play through the game again. I'm definitely here for anything David Cage puts out now. I loved Heavy Rain, and now I love Beyond. I'm just really happy I was able to get this game. It's kind of sad that it's going to be the last PS3 game I play, though, but it's a great game to end this generation on. :)

The more I see of your posts, the more I like you.

<3

There's nothing in this game that tops the first half of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy. That was one of the most amazing game experiences I've ever had, until it fell off the roller coaster.
Not many games manage to do that. The first half was GOTG material IMO.

I've been staying out of this thread since I expected it to be a David Cage hate train but I'm glad people are liking this game. Like Heavy Rain, it's not without it's flaws but I really love the themes, characters, and material covered. Definitely one I'll remember for a long time.
They have no chance here. "It's not a game, Cage should make movies instead" is not allowed in this thread. So feel free to stay.

I did the exact same though I wasn't bummed out about it.
Dude was moving a bit fast for my tastes even though they both wanted it to happen. See how fast that fucker ran out of the door when he knew he wasn't getting any though? Fuck that guy! Told him I didn't love him at the end too.
"I thought for one moment.....But.....NO, I don't!" Probably the most satisfying dialogue choice ever lol

dmr87

Just finished, loved it overall, some chapters were less fun than others but all in all, amazing experience.

Best chapter,
Homeless, awesome characters and dem feels, so good.

Ending,
I had to go with Beyond because I wasn't sure if Life would auto pair me with Clayton, fuck that.

Seems like you get to choose so that's good, I'll check it out later.

Just finished, loved it overall, some chapters were less fun than others but all in all, amazing experience.

Best chapter,
Homeless, awesome characters and dem feels, so good.

Ending,
I had to go with Beyond because I wasn't sure if Life would auto pair me with Clayton, fuck that.

Seems like you get to choose so that's good, I'll check it out later.

Navajo was my favorite chapter.

And yeah
you get to choose your ending.

Artorias

Banned
I finished this yesterday. I liked a few chapters but overall I thought the story was really boring.

Navajo was great, and parts of Homeless and The Mission were great and I even liked many of the small story chapters, but by the end I just didn't care about any of it. It was worth seeing and they really nailed the tech and the feel of certain places, but I don't think I could ever trudge through it again, even starting from the last chapters to see more endings.

fvng

And, yes, you can interpolate that she obviously must have come to terms with the whole thing and gotten over her objections off-camera, but it is fairly poor storytelling to establish "Jodie thinks X" in one chapter, then have Jodie apparently no longer think X in another chapter, with no connective tissue. And it happens more than once. The game likes to skip weird parts of Jodie's character development.

She does say that.. she does say
Are you fucking crazy?(to paraphrase)
i guess it depends on which option you picked, but the nature of the game means selecting different answers gives you just that.. different dialogue branches. I played the scene a couple of times, and that response was definitely one of them. I believe one of the options
was a sympathetic one, and the other one was a more cynical one like you're implying
, so there was no off camera storytelling.

Mononoke

Banned
I still don't know if this game or story works completely, but I sure as hell can't stop thinking about it. I think it's because Jodie is the most realistic character in any game I've played, and unlike film which is more passive, I felt like I really got to experience these moments with this character that felt so real.

And while the story is told out of order, I still walked away from the journey feeling like I really got to know this character. I cared for this character. And yeah I know this game was more passive than Heay Rain and more passive then most games in general. But it's the little things we take for granted in this medium, that made me feel like I had a choice over how the story played out. Even if it's limited and the story is still heading towards a set conclusion. For example:
When Ryan asks Jodie if she loves him, I made her say no. Not because I didn't like their romance. But because my experience with Jodie, my interpretation of the character, told me she didn't.
But in a film narrative this sort of thing would have been decided and done with. Regardless what I believed the character would do. I like that through my experiences I got to guide the story even if only in little ways, to reflect my connection with Jodie.

I think in a way, it's funny how I as the audience, was basically Aiden to this character.

Just finished. Yeah the mixed reviews are understandable. There are so many really really good parts only to be countered with really really bad parts. The presentation here is fantastic though, but the gameplay and story is very hit and miss. I'd give it a 7.5/10.

Redx508

Finished the game a few days ago overall very very good I am a David Cage fan. not sure why people on gaf hate on him so much. Can't wait to see something on PS4

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Finished the Navajo part last night. How far into the game am I? Oh, and I'm loving it so far. And holy mother of Cerny @ the graphics/character models. Considering what QD have done with the PS3, I can't wait to see how much juice they can squeeze out of the PS4.

Cartman86

Banned
Seeing the 2 player mode had me thinking. Has anyone else thought of how amazing an idea it would be if this game or something like it were like Journey or Resident Evil Outbreak? You play it online and another possibly random player takes the role of Aiden. No voice chat. You can only communicate with each other through the ways a weird ghost thing could (write on walls or something more abstract). However the person playing Jodie has more language options. Basically how the game is now, but with two independent people. The ghost player will defend the Jodie player and fuck with random objects to screw with people. I think that would have been a really cool way to mix the gameplay and themes together.

Setsuna

Seeing the 2 player mode had me thinking. Has anyone else thought of how amazing an idea it would be if this game or something like it were like Journey or Resident Evil Outbreak? You play it online and another possibly random player takes the role of Aiden. No voice chat. You can only communicate with each other through the ways a weird ghost thing could (write on walls or something more abstract). However the person playing Jodie has more language options. Basically how the game is now, but with two independent people. The ghost player will defend the Jodie player and fuck with random objects to screw with people. I think that would have been a really cool way to mix the gameplay and themes together.

that would be super annoying if the other person just so happened to go afk for an extended period of time or didnt know what he/she was doing

Carl

Haven't been able to get the
"Lost Cause"
bit out of my head since I played it. She
sings it so beautifully and it was a really nice moment. Possibly one of my favourite moments in the game.

As for my endgame choices...
I told Ryan I didn't love him, but then I gave him a second chance at the end. Nathan shot himself (does that always happen?). Chose life when given the choice because, hey, she'll die at some point anyway - may as well choose life right now! And then i chose to live alone, as i thought it would be the decision Jodie would make. Half wish I had chosen to live with the homeless guys though...)

Atrophis

Haven't been able to get the
"Lost Cause"
bit out of my head since I played it. She
sings it so beautifully and it was a really nice moment. Possibly one of my favourite moments in the game.

As for my endgame choices...
I told Ryan I didn't love him, but then I gave him a second chance at the end. Nathan shot himself (does that always happen?). Chose life when given the choice because, hey, she'll die at some point anyway - may as well choose life right now! And then i chose to live alone, as i thought it would be the decision Jodie would make. Half wish I had chosen to live with the homeless guys though...)

I used Aiden to kill Nathan.

fvng

Finished the game a few days ago overall very very good I am a David Cage fan. not sure why people on gaf hate on him so much. Can't wait to see something on PS4

I feel like GAF approves of this game, I see more positive posts than negative ones.

Top Bottom