• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Really am gonna have to replay it.

Just rewatched the epilogue and chose
to live with Stan and the others. Man, that ending was touching. They all looked so happy to see Jodie again
Got this ending the first time. Manly tears were shed. Fuck romance.

Finished the Navajo part last night. How far into the game am I? Oh, and I'm loving it so far. And holy mother of Cerny @ the graphics/character models. Considering what QD have done with the PS3, I can't wait to see how much juice they can squeeze out of the PS4.
3-4 hours I would say.

Seeing the 2 player mode had me thinking. Has anyone else thought of how amazing an idea it would be if this game or something like it were like Journey or Resident Evil Outbreak? You play it online and another possibly random player takes the role of Aiden. No voice chat. You can only communicate with each other through the ways a weird ghost thing could (write on walls or something more abstract). However the person playing Jodie has more language options. Basically how the game is now, but with two independent people. The ghost player will defend the Jodie player and fuck with random objects to screw with people. I think that would have been a really cool way to mix the gameplay and themes together.
I think they will probably do something similar to this in their PS4 game.

Mononoke

Banned
I actually quite like the Navajo mission on its own now that I reflect back on it. But I still can't help but feel like it's such..an over the top part of the game. Let me explain. This is a story about entities, so I'm not saying the Navajo mission is this BIG break from reality. But it's the odds, that this character just
happens to stumble on this place where such an over the top miraculous thing happens (that no one in the area seems to notice. Okay fine, it's on a reservation off the beaten path. But holy god, you have a fuckin sandstorm sized entity raging across the land). It's so bombastic in comparison to the other stuff. AND THEN it's kind of the whole, Native American cliche stuff about it that also kind of rubs me the wrong way (hey, we are talking about entities, why not touch on something like Native American folklore). Just in contrast to what the rest of the game is...

I dunno. Like on its own, I think it's a brilliant segment of the game. I actually loved the environment (just being out on in the desert under the blue sky. It was a nice departure form a game that had been mostly drab to that point).

Mesoian

I actually quite like the Navajo mission on its own now that I reflect back on it. But I still can't help but feel like it's such..an over the top part of the game. Let me explain. This is a story about entities, so I'm not saying the Navajo mission is this BIG break from reality. But it's the odds, that this character just
happens to stumble on this place where such an over the top miraculous thing happens (that no one in the area seems to notice. Okay fine, it's on a reservation off the beaten path. But holy god, you have a fuckin sandstorm sized entity raging across the land). It's so bombastic in comparison to the other stuff. AND THEN it's kind of the whole, Native American cliche stuff about it that also kind of rubs me the wrong way (hey, we are talking about entities, why not touch on something like Native American folklore). Just in contrast to what the rest of the game is...

I dunno. Like on its own, I think it's a brilliant segment of the game. I actually loved the environment (just being out on in the desert under the blue sky. It was a nice departure form a game that had been mostly drab to that point).

You're right. That scene is dramatically more over the top than pretty much any other part of the game. It's really jarring and comes out of left field, but such things aren't out of the question for David Cage games.

So I trudged through the Navajo chapter and... ugh... I've just lost motivation to continue.
I can't even put my finger on the problem. The wind just went out of my sails.

How close am I to the end?

Overall I'm liking the game, but it's just not drawing me in as much as Heavy Rain did.

Floex

Urgh, this has become such a chore to finish.

This game really frustrates me as there are clearly moments primed for using just that, gameplay. For example, this isn't a spoiler as it's near enough at the start, when you're training, why not give full control to the player? Let me control where I want to go and how I want to go about doing it. Instead I'm left with 'hold x to move forward, press square to takedown', quite frankly it's dull. Anytime there is fight sequence, let me have full control, not turn into Dragons Lair which it is exactly that, 'click left or click right'. Maybe nostalgia got the better of me but I could swear Heavy Rain allowed you to explore any area much like a point and click game. In this you're constantly moving in a linear fashion, there is nothing wrong with that per se but I don't feel like I'm playing a game, I'm playing a movie. The same with Aiden, it's far to slow and cumbersome, it should have a combo like technique that allows for quick evasive action.

What frustrates me even more is the survival horror bits are done very well, nothing earth shattering but some quick moments in this incredible engine Quantic Dreams have created.

DukeBobby

So I trudged through the Navajo chapter and... ugh... I've just lost motivation to continue.

Another 4 hours or so.

Yeah, Navajo did the same to me, too. Don't worry, the remaining chapters are much better.

Overall I'm liking the game, but it's just not drawing me in as much as Heavy Rain did.
Navajo is the worst chapter if you don't like it from the beginning. Don't worry, it gets better again from this point. You have 3-4 hours to go.

Urgh, this has become such a chore to finish.

This game really frustrates me as there are clearly moments primed for using just that, gameplay. For example, this isn't a spoiler as it's near enough at the start, when you're training, why not give full control to the player? Let me control where I want to go and how I want to go about doing it. Instead I'm left with 'hold x to move forward, press square to takedown', quite frankly it's dull..
This scene is actually fully dynamic. You can just go from cover to cover in a linear fashion, but you can also freely sneak around, take cover where you want and take out enemies from wherever they are by sneaking up to them. It's not just QTEs, but actual persistent mechanics in that scene.

fvng

Navajo is the worst chapter if you don't like it from the beginning. Don't worry, it gets better again from this point. You have 3-4 hours to go.

This scene is actually fully dynamic. You can just go from cover to cover in a linear fashion, but you can also freely sneak around, take cover where you want and take out enemies from wherever they are by sneaking up to them. It's not just QTEs, but actual persistent mechanics in that scene.

This is correct

hal9001

Banned
Finally finished the game and managed to watch and replay all the endings. It really was a great experience and even though it has its faults this is still one of the best games this gen for me.

Just finished the game as well. Outstanding experience. A big step up to Heavy Rain. Since I am big story lover, this game was a huge treat for me. Also one of my favs this gen.

J.W.Crazy

As a stand alone I think it's great but it really does stick out from the rest of the game.

The whole game deals with supernatural elements but it's approached from a Sci-fi lite perspective. Navajo is straight Fantasy. It replaces the loosely defined tech of the condenser with simple magic in the form of ritual and incantation.

BTW what's the age difference btw. Jodie and Ryan?
During The Dinner Jodie is 21-22 (confirmed). Ryan is not clear, although we can make some basic math. He left his home at sixteen. Finished high school early. Went through college (+4). Entered CIA at roughly 21. Became agent with 24. Tells Jodie he is with the CIA since 10 years during The Mission, which takes place 2 years after The Dinner. So I would put him around 32 during Dinner. During Black Sun Jodie is 23 (almost 24) and Ryan around 34. When they first met in Separation Jodie is 17 and Ryan is around 28.

Just finished the game. It was a good ending to a great game, still i feel that something was missing...

it was a great game. there was sci-fi fantasy, but the drama about jodie's life was really nice. everyone hated ryan that's for sure.

the game was such an adventure that it probably went to a lot of places people didn't really like. there was military, exploration, fantasy, horror, etc. so probably that the game didn't really stick to one overarching theme and even changed up a lot of times. it was cool, though.

eival

watching Jim Sterling replay Indego Prophecy, its hilarious to see all the things Cage reused in this, like the touching of the hands to see someones past which the old lady does, also has grey eyes which is also reused here.

the mundane QTE laden cutscenes, which some might say, the white dots and icons in contrast to whats in the background is almost as hard to see/notice as the simon says stuff in most of the IP's parts as well, and just as stupid.

the stereotypical characters and theme's used for them, this game instead went for the feminism stereotype point of view of every male being evil in some sort of way and Jodie being the pure female who has to struggle thru life because apparently every male wants to rape her, the bad voice acting, also i just recently googled it and realised IP came out in 2005, i thought that was from the late 90s for some reason.

so in just 7 short years, Cage has managed to litterally not change(improve) at all, other than just have access to better graphical technology

Finished this last night and it completely blew me away. So many emotional moments and hard decisions to be made. Voice acting was superb throughout and I thought the story was fantastic. My soundtrack of the year as well. Seriously can't wait to see what Cage/Quantic Dream come up with on PS4.

I couldnt finish this :(
The story was too much of a clusterfuck and i felt nothing for anyone and there was too many characters thrown at me in such a short time that it just felt like a blur

I couldnt finish this :(
The story was too much of a clusterfuck and i felt nothing for anyone and there was too many characters thrown at me in such a short time that it just felt like a blur

play one chapter a day. that's what you get for trying to play it in one sitting.

Hm? I played it over the period of three days
Got up to date stuff
After that i couldnt go on, pokemon and pes were calling to me
The story should be more engaging

there weren't a lot of characters, and they all have their own chapters. shimasami isn't going to go on a cia mission with jodie.

Mononoke

Banned
As a stand alone I think it's great but it really does stick out from the rest of the game.

The whole game deals with supernatural elements but it's approached from a Sci-fi lite perspective. Navajo is straight Fantasy. It replaces the loosely defined tech of the condenser with simple magic in the form of ritual and incantation.

You pretty much summed up what I was trying to say. Not to be facetious, but the part reminded me of
Aladdin or some shit from the Mummy. This is what I'm talking about: http://i.imgur.com/CwBjC6x.jpg

navajo was better than the
chinese condenser
part. way better.

fvng

Hm? I played it over the period of three days
Got up to date stuff
After that i couldnt go on, pokemon and pes were calling to me
The story should be more engaging

It was an engaging story, but like you said you had another game on your mind. Nothing was going to distract you from a game you were waiting 3+ years for.

no, but playing self-contained adventures one after the other would result in people like you thinking "there are too much characters thrown at me".

"adventures"
More like just push the left stick forward . There were too many characters thrown out that were just filler, the time jumps make the experience even more jarring

Mononoke

Banned
navajo was better than the
chinese condenser
part. way better.

Sure. No one is arguing that it wasn't a better segment. But from a narrative and tone perspective, it feels out of place with the rest of the game. The Chinese condenser part at least felt like the same kind of sci-fi take on entities that the rest of the game was telling. I'm not even really complaining that much. I mean, at the end of the day this is a game that tries to tell the entire story of this character. So I'm not against her experiencing this event at one point of her life.

I think some of just felt like the segment rubbed us the wrong way (from a narrative perspective). But I think most of us agree that as a stand alone segment, and in terms of interacting and playing, it was definitely a great part of the game.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Didn't enjoy it overall but there are a few really engaging scenes. 6 out of ten is right for me with this game. Laughably bad in places. I has a few major technical issues room 2 lock ups in the saleem streets mission. And awful stuttering and pausing. Any one else have issues?

Sure. No one is arguing that it wasn't a better segment. But from a narrative and tone perspective, it feels out of place with the rest of the game. The Chinese condenser part at least felt like the same kind of sci-fi take on entities that the rest of the game was telling.

why would it be out-of-place?
the guardians actually mirror aiden. they protect the family as much as aiden protects jodie. also, you play as a ghost, that instantly means fantasy, not sci-fi. only because she was raised in a lab that it somehow has to feel sci-fi, but EmptySpace would argue that what it tells is that even before, when technology wasn't still as developed, people still had the same intentions (in this case, trying to gain the upper hand) and it does not matter how they did it (through ritual or scientific experiments). of course, we all know what happened to both the guardians and the scientist at the end. the point is that people never change, regardless of how much they've advanced in both understanding and knowledge.

jkanownik

I gave up on the game in the fourth chapter. The scene felt extremely forced and unnatural. Mid chapter I ejected the disk and put it back in the Gamefly envelope. I really want to play a QD game that has a full writing staff and a strong editor. If they make that happen they'll get $60 out of me. I'm OK with DC as the lead writer, but I want someone else to polish it.

There's too many characters in one video game. Its not focused and the way the story is told makes it worse

someone never played a jrpg, it seems.

the characters go away while new characters come in. seriously, the amount of characters in this game does not hurt anyone's head. their roles are clearly defined, they don't linger for too long, and those that do clearly play a more significant role.

I gave up on the game in the third chapter. The scene felt extremely forced and unnatural. Mid chapter I ejected the disk and put it back in the Gamefly envelope. I really want to play a QD game that has a full writing staff and a strong editor. If they make that happen they'll get $60 out of me. I'm OK with DC as the lead writer, but I want someone else to polish it.

the 3rd chapter is less than 30 mins into the game. very premature judgement, therefore, invalid at best.

fvng

There's too many characters in one video game. Its not focused and the way the story is told makes it worse

what? If anything, The mostly focuses on the story, and the number of important characters in the game are less than a handful. Your comment reads like you haven't actually played the game.

DukeBobby

Homeless is the only chapter where Cage does everything right, in my opinion. It has a great self contained story, great characters, and decisions that directly affect the ending. You could argue that it's too melodramatic, but it didn't bother me at all.

Sure, there are plenty more great chapters in the game, but I wanted a lot more like this.

Homeless is only chapter where Cage does everything right, in my opinion. It has a great self contained story, great characters, and decisions that directly affect the ending. You could argue that it's too melodramatic, but it didn't bother me at all.

Sure, there are plenty more great chapters in the game, but I wanted a lot more like this.

like other girls was also good, and so was old friends.

jkanownik

the 3rd chapter is less than 30 mins into the game. very premature judgement, therefore, invalid at best.

Turns out it was the 4th chapter. I played the entirety of Heavy Rain. The writing and forced scenes ruined the experience for me. This game was on a shorter leash as a result. That said, the 4th chapter was much worse than any single scene in Heavy Rain.

I went into it clean without reading any reviews. Reading some reviews now I see The Guardian reviewer agreed with me:

Guardian review quote: There's a teenage party scene which seems like an excruciating parody of what teenage party scenes would be like if they were all written and conceived by middle-aged games designers (rule breaking, sexual frisson, rejection – it's Carrie in five clanging minutes).

Replicant

Turns out it was the 4th chapter. I played the entirety of Heavy Rain. The writing and forced scenes ruined the experience for me. This game was on a shorter leash as a result. That said, the 4th chapter was much worse than any single scene in Heavy Rain.

I went into it clean without reading any reviews. Reading some reviews now I see The Guardian reviewer agreed with me:

Guardian review quote: There's a teenage party scene which seems like an excruciating parody of what teenage party scenes would be like if they were all written and conceived by middle-aged games designers (rule breaking, sexual frisson, rejection – it's Carrie in five clanging minutes).

You'd find that many of us here agree that the shift in characters' behavior are too abrupt and unbelievable in that chapter. But I think it's an overreaction to dismiss an entire game because of it.

eival

I gave up on the game in the fourth chapter. The scene felt extremely forced and unnatural. Mid chapter I ejected the disk and put it back in the Gamefly envelope. I really want to play a QD game that has a full writing staff and a strong editor. If they make that happen they'll get $60 out of me. I'm OK with DC as the lead writer, but I want someone else to polish it.

what was the "4th chapter"?

it jumped back and forth so much its hard to remember

most people here thought that scene came out of nowhere.

most people here also got over that because that's way too early in the game. not even 20%.

also, spoiled brats like that exist.

this game instead went for the feminism stereotype point of view of every male being evil in some sort of way and Jodie being the pure female who has to struggle thru life because apparently every male wants to rape her

what horseshit. the navajo men, cole, the swat team leader, nathan, jodie's father, stan, jodie's two cia coaches, need EmptySpace embarrass eival more?

that was one of the worst levels.

1) use spoiler tags

2) it's called game design. oh if shepard were so renegade why couldn't he just shoot his teammates when they're sleeping instead of choosing to kill or save them when the game asks? soooo forced.

3) jodie cares about them because they were hospitable to her.

4) players don't roleplay as jodie. this is not an rpg. players control her actions, but they don't control her character, personality, or emotions. that is why no matter how much the player tries to shove ryan away, jodie still likes him, because she does like him. it's the player, not jodie, who doesn't like ryan. learn the difference.

Top Bottom