• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

DukeBobby

Question about how far I am, I just (very mild spoiler, location)
got to the Navajo ranch and spent the night and am doing chores.

I redboxed this so I want to get it wrapped up, how long do I have left?

You're about halfway, maybe a little further.

About 5 hours left, I'd say.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Finished last night. Really liked it. The ending was very satisfying, the
reveal about Aiden
was perfect IMO. Made perfect sense and tugged on just right emotive strings for the story and characters. In retrospect I can't believe
I haven't figured out how Aiden came to be, it was literally right there in front of me all along, which made it that much better when it was revealed.

I have complaints about the game, but the story finally is not one of them. The game suffers a bit from limited interactivity, for example from the fact that Aiden can only interact with highlighted objects. How much nicer it would be if it was up to player to figure out things to do without highlighting them, at least sometimes. The game puzzles were at it's best (if I can say that, as they were never much good) when you had to figure where to go with Aiden and do something. I guess there were only few of the scenes like that. Still, I could overlook flaws easily because good parts overshadowed them.

Anyone know what the latest patch does? (1.02)
Probably removes her nipples xD

50% serious

Wish I could be one of those people that likes how divisive the game is and understands where the complaints are coming from, but usually the detractors just sound like fucking idiots reading from the same complaint book meme.

So no.
I understand most of them, but some complaints I don't get as well. I still love how divisive the game is. Not because I like it, I think it is just hilarious seeing reviewers fighting against each other. It also makes me feel better, no reason to get depressed because of some shitty scores the game clearly didn't deserve (like 2.5).

Amazing haha.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Just finished
Navajo.

How many more chapters/hours do I have left?

I posted some more screens in the spoiler thread over here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86940697&postcount=388

The screens are from the following chapters:
The Mission, Old Friends, Norah and The Briefing.

is3AP9slkrSOq.png

I still can't get over how good looking this game is.

Just finished the
condenser

Best graphics I have seen this gen on PC or console. I mean I know the game sometimes blurs the lines between being an interactive cutscene and gameplay, but that was just incredible. I thought I was playing a game on PS4...

Why do people keep asking how long they have left? Is it that much of a chore?

Sometimes people have backlogs to go through or things coming up that are going to necessitate abandoning the game for a while. In either case, time can't be just devoted to the game and people are curious as to how they need to factor the time spent on something like this amongst everything else they have/want to do.

Just got this last night. It looks great but i still think the controls arent perfect. Better than heavy Rain but still feel not that responsive.

Graphics are fine, love the voice acting. Just did the party at friends house scene, so only an hour in so far.

Its a shame this got middling reviews - but then again, i think heavy rain did too but its still one of my top 5 games on PS3.

maverick40

Sometimes people have backlogs to go through or things coming up that are going to necessitate abandoning the game for a while. In either case, time can't be just devoted to the game and people are curious as to how they need to factor the time spent on something like this amongst everything else they have/want to do.

I have never heard to so bad though until this game came out. It seems like people are struggling to finish it.

fvng

Because they are redboxing it so they want to know if they can finish it before dat 9pm deadline, you can finish the game in a couple of days, or 3 days if you have a busy schedule

I have never heard to so bad though until this game came out. It seems like people are struggling to finish it.
Nah this is pretty usual. Tons of people asked that for TLoU as well and pretty much every other game. And for this game it can be calculated pretty accurately.

fvng

Do we know if we're getting any DLC for this game? Thinking of selling my copy before the price drops.

I doubt it would be any storyline DLC, probably more of those puzzles... though I'd like to see more CIA missions from her

Damn, can someone tell me what the main menu theme is on the soundtrack? I've searched youtube and the theme is completely different to the one I have.

I'm from the UK so maybe someone here from the UK can comment on this. There's a bunch of songs in the game that aren't on the soundtrack too. :/

May be a secondary effect of how it imitates movies, when the pacing and length turn out to be different from a movie it doesn't follow their expectations.
Its structured more like a TV series than a movie.

I think all the questions about how long the game is comes from the fact that it has no appreciable overall arc or sense of progress towards anything. Its got a beginning, an end, and a pretty random assortment of interludes between the two.

Damn, can someone tell me what the main menu theme is on the soundtrack? I've searched youtube and the theme is completely different to the one I have.

I'm from the UK so maybe someone here from the UK can comment on this. There's a bunch of songs in the game that aren't on the soundtrack too. :/

Do you have the 4 track Special Edition soundtrack or the 16 track PSN soundtrack? From what I've heard the main theme is "Beyond" on the PSN soundtrack. Although, after I completed the game a different theme played on the main menu.

Currently there is a guy working on extracting the full soundtrack, unfortunately the tracks are stored as 128kbps in the game archive files. He's been posting them on his YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLr7Q1-SdtL8omZ8oXuVYU1XO_mrr72CB

Phinor

Got the game yesterday (pre-order took 1.5 weeks to arrive from Amazon UK), finished already. I only got PS3 half a year ago so I played Heavy Rain similarly in two days back in June and that game was almost too much to absorb in only two days. I quite enjoyed it even though I usually despise QTEs. Not perfect game by any means but completing the game in two days says how much I enjoyed the story overall and wanted to see the conclusion as soon as possible.

I was expecting a disaster after reading the reviews and waiting extra two weeks but truth be told, Beyond: Two Souls could be my GOTY if it wasn't such a great year for gaming already. After finishing the game I had that same empty feeling you sometimes have after an excellent movie (and I'm not comparing the game to movies, just saying that I've had that similar feeling before). I wouldn't mind another 10 hours of narrative in this world, particularly seeing more events in Jodie Holmes' life.

Some reviewers mentioned that they really hated how the narrative jumped from place to place but that was a huge plus for me. It worked because of one little detail: the timeline shown during loading screens. Instead of being messy, that timeline meant that I knew exactly where in Jodie's life I was but I had no idea what was going to happen during that particular segment - I only knew what situation she would be later on and where she was coming from.

Excellent game, even better than Heavy Rain in my opinion. I really hope they keep making these types of games because diversity is good and even if some people don't consider BTS a proper game, it doesn't really make any difference in their life if a game like this is being released every now and then.

Cloudy

Banned
After finishing the game I had that same empty feeling you sometimes have after an excellent movie (and I'm not comparing the game to movies, just saying that I've had that similar feeling before). I wouldn't mind another 10 hours of narrative in this world, particularly seeing more events in Jodie Holmes' life.

Some reviewers mentioned that they really hated how the narrative jumped from place to place but that was a huge plus for me. It worked because of one little detail: the timeline shown during loading screens. Instead of being messy, that timeline meant that I knew exactly where in Jodie's life I was but I had no idea what was going to happen during that particular segment - I only knew what situation she would be later on and where she was coming from.

I agree 100%

Replicant

Just finished it. I like it but I don't love it as much as I love Heavy Rain. I feel that the characters while a lot more fleshed-out and better acted, are lacking the charms and individuality that Heavy Rain characters have.

The story is also not my cup of tea. It lacks tension and I think the "Homeless", "Hunted", and "Black Sun" chapters kind of saved the game. I could have done without the repetitive at home/at the lab scenarios.

Gameplay-wise, I think Jodie not being able to die is a big mistake. It really loses the tension that made me care a lot for Ethan, Norman, and Madison back in "Heavy Rain". Mind you, I do care about Jodie but the extra incentive to save her life is not there due to the game's mechanics. I also prefer Heavy Rain's QTEs to BEYOND's QTEs because in Heavy Rain, if I make a mistake it'd be because of my mistake for not watching the screen intently. In BEYOND, it's often because I can't tell which direction I should move the character into.

Now, it sounds like I am down on the game but I actually like it. I feel that the last chapter really saved the game and upped the stake considerably. I also like the epilogue, as vague as it may seem. Also, the graphics are insane. It's still limited by PS3 power but most of the awkward-looking expressions in Heavy Rain rarely present in BEYOND especially when it comes to Jodie, Nathan, and Ryan.

Do you have the 4 track Special Edition soundtrack or the 16 track PSN soundtrack? From what I've heard the main theme is "Beyond" on the PSN soundtrack. Although, after I completed the game a different theme played on the main menu.

Currently there is a guy working on extracting the full soundtrack, unfortunately the tracks are stored as 128kbps in the game archive files. He's been posting them on his YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLr7Q1-SdtL8omZ8oXuVYU1XO_mrr72CB

I actually don't have the soundtrack, but I've listened to it all via youtube. I actually got it wrong, the theme I was talking about was the one that plays in the XMB. If you just highlight Beyond, as if you're going to play, and you'll hear it. It's so good!

Thank you so much for the link btw dude, you're a star!

luxarific

Nork unification denier

The game drags a bit in a few chapters (e.g.,
Navajo and Mission
). I can't believe I'm defending Heavy Rain, but I thought the pacing in HR was far better than that in Beyond. I always wanted to see what was next in HR, whereas I found myself checking the time constantly in Beyond. This is probably due more to the characters and story in Beyond holding less interest for me. Beyond just doesn't have the same sense of narrative drive for me that HR did.

Midou

The game drags a bit in a few chapters (e.g.,
Navajo and Mission
). I can't believe I'm defending Heavy Rain, but I thought the pacing in HR was far better than that in Beyond. I always wanted to see what was next in HR, whereas I found myself checking the time constantly in Beyond. This is probably due more to the characters and story in Beyond holding less interest for me. Beyond just doesn't have the same sense of narrative drive for me that HR did.

I can kind of agree, though I powered through Beyond in like two sittings, and Heavy Rain I took like a week for. I like HR's main twist a lot more, but I enjoy the experience in Beyond a lot better. Anytime anything half decent happened in HR it was interrupted by NAHMANJAYDENFBI SHA ME YA WATCH.

I recommend people who loved the music as much as I did, check out the link MangoMoustache posted. So many great songs that aren't present on the score, it's crazy!

This is one of my very favourite. Can't believe it wasn't on there!

I feel that the characters while a lot more fleshed-out and better acted, are lacking the charms and individuality that Heavy Rain characters have.
I agree, but I can't fault Beyond for that. 1 main protagonist vs. 4 is a design decision. In Beyond you have one fleshed out awesome character, while in HR you have 3 (discounting Madison) that are quite different too. It's just hard to compete against that. Strong side characters were needed, but the type of Jodie's adventure really doesn't allow to have some over a longer period of time.

The story is also not my cup of tea. It lacks tension and I think the "Homeless", "Hunted", and "Black Sun" chapters kind of saved the game. I could have done without the repetitive at home/at the lab scenarios.
It lacks tension definitely. I think they should have done away with most of the action sequences and only implemented them in cases were your mistakes can directly kill other characters. This happens sometimes, but not enough. That being said, I loved all the lab scenes with Jodie. Mostly mundane HR stuff.

Gameplay-wise, I think Jodie not being able to die is a big mistake. It really loses the tension that made me care a lot for Ethan, Norman, and Madison back in "Heavy Rain".
For the type of story Jodie being able to die doesn't make much sense. So this is not a problem for me. The problem are the scenes were her life is threatened. They shouldn't exist or failure should result in other people dying.

If he actually included player death, I would have loved something like this:
You always see your memories like in the one instance where Jodie actually dies during Homeless. Then you end up in the black room and Aiden revives you. But this makes him weaker or something, so after x deaths you just end up in the Infraworld and see the ending. Probably would have only worked in a linear story though.

Yeah seriously, some of the designs in this game are god-tier. I could not get over how amazing some stuff looked, even among 'props' used for a few minutes.
Yeah the environments are crazy detailed and consistent with the story, even when you only see them for a couple of minutes. Jodie's room changing with her age for example. During First Night there is nothing, but then during The Experiment it looks like a real child room. Then when you reach Like Other Girls she has a poster on her wall saying "Big brother is watching you". She even drew a smiley around one of the cameras, while using the camera as one of the "eyes" of the smiley. Brilliant touches.

Also the game has a consistent timeline. If you look at computers, calendars or newspapers, there is always a year and a month displayed corresponding to the correct time of the year and even her age. This way you are actually able to figure out that the final chapter of the game plays in Fall 2013, so right now. It also checks out completely. If someone says it is Saturday during a dialogue and a random calendar says it is April 1st 2006, you can check and this date is indeed a Saturday.

I love it when devs pour so much love and accuracy into their game, which will never be appreciated by 99% of the players.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Done. Wow. Took a bit to get going but the second half is fantastic. I like it more than Heavy Rain. Acting is phenomenal. Story was great. Ending was solid.

I wasn't sure over the first few hours, I think the jumping around makes the story a bit confusing, and some of the gameplay wasn't amazing but the second half really drives it home.

Great game.

what a great read.

Look, I don’t think everyone should love this game as much as I do and while this might be some people’s game of the year and others may pass it up — I feel like I’m beating a dead horse when I say we have a responsibility. It’s not to say that we need to pad all of our reviews with all these loving feelings as well as negatives but we need to remember that your outlook is still one people come to. Using statements such as “mind-numbing hellscape” is just downright hateful. Instead of using hyperbole to give your reviews a bit of snark and sizzle, why not discuss how you’d have done things differently? I, personally, felt like “insufferable writing” was a stain that not many writers want to hear and if you, yourself, don’t want to ever feel that your message is meant as “insufferable” — why give someone else that to bear?

Look, we’re all allowed our opinions but to me — and maybe I’m alone in this — we need to truly take a look at the way we critique reasonable people (Writers, development teams, etc.) for trying to give us something they believe in. Perhaps we should leave out some of the harsh words and replace them with suggestion and actually do something in this Industry that’s constructive rather than destructive.

can someone hire this person?

see5harp

I've never seen that ghost whisperer show but playing some of the sequences in this game made me feel like I was watching something like that mixed with Forrest Gump. I really think the storyline could have been better if they had focused it more instead of going off on so many tangents. Moments like the party or the sequences as a child really were great. I don't think the action sequences are open enough to warrant a replay.

Finished it

Really enjoyed it, shame Cage (ending spoiler)
decided to end it on a cliffhanger teasing a game that will obviously never happen. Also not a fan of the direction they took with Nathan.

Pretty weird to go all game feeling as though your choices didn't really matter,then it gives you two massive ones at the very end

Finished it

Really enjoyed it, shame Cage (ending spoiler)
decided to end it on a cliffhanger teasing a game that will obviously never happen. Also not a fan of the direction they took with Nathan.

Pretty weird to go all game feeling as though your choices didn't really matter,then it gives you two massive ones at the very end

It's not a cliffhanger, it's an open ending.

Mesharey

In
Dragon's hideout/ice chapter chapter, after killing the 3 soldiers Jodie says "feels like we're missing something"
what is this thing? I tried to search but couldn't find anything.

Top Bottom