• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Midou

That said, I don't care about any character in HR so far like I did with Jodie so it's not better to me lol

Because they all act like shit lol. There was no reason to make everyone do fake accents in Heavy Rain, especially not when they were awful at them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmUz6zLYLIs

Well and the fact that everything is in slow motion is also a good indicator :D Often at the beginning of an action scene I missed the first one, because I wasn't ready for it. But after that you know that they are coming and the bullet time, greyscale effect and the sound makes it obvious when it is time :D

I prefer this kind of indicator.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I've never been a fan of QDs games so i decided to pass on actually buying Beyond but i'm maybe halfway through the story right now and judging the game purely on that facet... the story alone... it's really not that great. I've seen the same story beats happen over and over again (Oh wow a "she can't fit in" scene again ... oh whoa another "Aiden loses control and she yells for him to stop" scene.... oh wow another scene that could have been almost completely avoided if Aiden didn't decide to all of a sudden just take a fucking cat nap.

There must be some serious disconnect or something since i'm not actually playing it because i'm even getting annoyed at Jodie.
The scene where she is leaving the research place with Cole and Aiden has him taken over - they get done talking and she says he must have lost his voice or whatever and the guy is like "Welp.. lets hope it doesn't go around" or something like that and she just fucking stands there for another like 10 seconds. I don't care about your mocop facial stuff that much guys... stupid bitch needs to get walking. And then the whole bar scene was so incredibly predictable and ridiculous. "The girls must be inside..." What fucking girls? Do you not SEE the outside of this fucking bar? The creepy pedo dudes having drinks??? You're entire life you've been fucked over because people are shit and all of a sudden this dude is like "Oh hey your 17.. i'm gonna do the crotch pass and rub my dick on your belly. Hawt.
"

Glad a lot of you guys are enjoying it but ... was Heavy Rain written like this as well? Worse??!! i'm kind of dumbfounded.

On a plus side... every close up of a face has made me do double takes for days. The moisture/skin/eyes ect. are all amaze-balls.

edit: Chris Smooves lets play gets High-Larious at the shower scene. "Too bad this girl has no body.. Ellen Page... bah. If this was the Tomb Raider game tho..." lol

fvng

I've never been a fan of QDs games so i decided to pass on actually buying Beyond but i'm maybe halfway through the story right now and judging the game purely on that facet... the story alone... it's really not that great. I've seen the same story beats happen over and over again (Oh wow a "she can't fit in" scene again ... oh whoa another "Aiden loses control and she yells for him to stop" scene.... oh wow another scene that could have been almost completely avoided if Aiden didn't decide to all of a sudden just take a fucking cat nap.

There must be some serious disconnect or something since i'm not actually playing it because i'm even getting annoyed at Jodie.
The scene where she is leaving the research place with Cole and Aiden has him taken over - they get done talking and she says he must have lost his voice or whatever and the guy is like "Welp.. lets hope it doesn't go around" or something like that and she just fucking stands there for another like 10 seconds. I don't care about your mocop facial stuff that much guys... stupid bitch needs to get walking. And then the whole bar scene was so incredibly predictable and ridiculous. "The girls must be inside..." What fucking girls? Do you not SEE the outside of this fucking bar? The creepy pedo dudes having drinks??? You're entire life you've been fucked over because people are shit and all of a sudden this dude is like "Oh hey your 17.. i'm gonna do the crotch pass and rub my dick on your belly. Hawt.
"

Glad a lot of you guys are enjoying it but ... was Heavy Rain written like this as well? Worse??!! i'm kind of dumbfounded.

On a plus side... every close up of a face has made me do double takes for days. The moisture/skin/eyes ect. are all amaze-balls.

edit: Chris Smooves lets play gets High-Larious at the shower scene. "Too bad this girl has no body.. Ellen Page... bah. If this was the Tomb Raider game tho..." lol

You are part of the trend in this thread where the negative reviews are coming from people who are watching LPs and not actually playing the game. So along with the others I can't respect or take these kind of reviews seriously.

Just finished The Mission

Brilliant so far, but I can't disagree with the thought that Cage is too easily tempted to throw in a massive cliche.

Couple of story related things I don't like:

(Chapter names in spoilers)
Navajo and The Condenser
feel out of place, even for a supernatural game

(Genuine spoiler)
The way you're expected to care for the little kid in The Mission as a character based on 2 minutes of screentime was silly. The parting scene was clearly designed to resonate emotionally, but he was a non-entity at that point in the story as whole

Nathan comes across creepy as fuck sometimes. Stan is one of my favourite characters of the year

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
You are part of the trend in this thread where the negative reviews are coming from people who are watching LPs and not actually playing the game. So along with the others I can't respect or take these kind of reviews seriously.

So ... don't? I even said i'm sure there is some kind of disconnect from not playing the game myself but to me that doesn't effect the actors portrayal of characters or the enjoyment of writing or anything like that. At all...

In fact out of all the games out there in the world... something like beyond is one type of game that loses the least in the experience from just watching it.

How about this... you can watch The Last of Us cutscenes back to back in a long movie style format, which i have done, and so far I've enjoyed that far and away more than Beyond. Because it's story wasn't smh predictable and repetitive at least twice in every "chapter".

Cloudy

Banned
Eh I think you miss a lot of you just watch cutscenes of Beyond. It needs to be played cos there's a lot things that you figure out depending on how you play

MBison

Just finished this. And hey I understand criticism. Game is kinda low. Interactivity yeah yeah. But if you know what you're getting, I consider it pretty impressive. I think the emotional bits did hit. I have a couple story nitpick like Jodie not knowing who the target was in the mission. But still, I loved the non linear plot and think it served well to peace meal info to you. A lot of brilliant storytelling here, just don't agree with some of the haters.

fvng

So ... don't? I even said i'm sure there is some kind of disconnect from not playing the game myself but to me that doesn't effect the actors portrayal of characters or the enjoyment of writing or anything like that. At all...

In fact out of all the games out there in the world... something like beyond is one type of game that loses the least in the experience from just watching it.

How about this... you can watch The Last of Us cutscenes back to back in a long movie style format, which i have done, and so far I've enjoyed that far and away more than Beyond. Because it's story wasn't smh predictable and repetitive at least twice in every "chapter".

Yes, there is a huge disconnect that comes from not actually playing the game, and I'm not going to watch an LP of TLOU, for the same reasons that should already be clear to you. I have a better idea, why don't you play these games instead of watching LPs? So far there's been several negative reviews of Beyond in this thread that have a footnote like "I didn't play the game"

Look, the bottom line is you're reviewing a game you didn't play. Pause for a moment and think about how ridiculous that sounds and ask yourself why anyone here should respect the opinion of anyone who does that sort of thing.

MBison

Judging a game from YouTube videos. Just wow.

Maybe Gamespot and Giant Bomb should stop playing games and just watch LPs.

We only have sales numbers from the UK for the first two days so far. Rather mediocre. Worse than Heavy Rain. US is going to be interesting. The executive producer at least tweeted that "hundreds of 1000s of people already played it". So I assume the worldwide sales are between 200-400k right now. Should make its way up to 1m eventually. 1m took HR 2 months, so I expect 4-6 for Beyond.

So as every other game on the planet. You just described why Beyond is a game, because it needs input. You should play some earlier adventure games. Beyond is pretty much a modern cinematic take on it without the puzzles. But philosophies like exploration and interacting with your environment are still intact.

No she speaks with the voice of Stan's wife. You can see his wife talk and Jodie's mouth moves with her facial expressions, not Jodie's. Same when child Jodie talks to Nathan. His wife's voice comes out of her and Jodie's mouth moves like an adult is talking through her, which is exactly what happens. Also why would Nathan say "I haven't heard their voices in 15 years. The last time I heard them was through you."

Jodie is not morphing with Aiden. Aiden allows the death person to go inside Jodie's body (possessing her), while she steps aside for a moment (white eyes). It doesn't need explaining, it makes perfect sense the way it works. It's identical with Aiden possessing other people.

Aiden can move around while Jodie sleeps, but not when she is in a coma (hit on her head) or drugged. Pretty simple logic there. Jodie's health directly influences Aiden.

Of course Ryan is portrayed as a dick. It was intentional, to make Aiden's position during The Dinner more attractive to the player. The game tells you that this chapter takes place 5 years later and that you haven't seen what happened between them during that period. So you can just assume Ryan changed, but the only thing you know about him at that point is that he was an asshole earlier on. So you are conflicted. On one hand you want Jodie to be happy, but on the other hand you don't like Ryan. Then the game gives you control as Aiden when Ryan comes. What to do, which site to pick? Very interesting situation that would loose all its impact had the game showed you why she likes him. Because then 99% of the players would have chosen Jodie's side without thinking. It's not a plothole, because you don't know what happened but the game makes it clear that something did indeed happen between the two and it is totally in the realm of possibility. You can see hints of that during CIA and Embassy, which you play before Dinner. So if you paid attention you would know that their relationship changed over time.

It becomes pretty much a question of "Do you believe that he changed over time, even though you didn't see all of it and allow Jodie to have this relationship or do you still want to get rid of him?"

Do you blindly trust Jodie that she knows what's best for her or not? Both answers are valid.
The nothing happens was more of a the game pretty much continues on its own, if you fuck a qte by taking too long or dont pull the sticks it continued for me like nothing. Sure you have to move forward but theres not much gameplay to be had

i paid attention to their "relationship", if you posses aiden in one of the missions you can over hear ryan "trashing" jodie and saying he doesnt care about her

Yeah the game was definitely lacking tension with no way to fail. Just started Heavy Rain and I understand that characters can die and the game continues. That seems interesting

Would be tough to do it in B:TS w/o a "game over" screen and Cage apparently has an aversion to those. I feel the Condenser and other spots needed to have some consequences for your actions though..

That said, I don't care about any character in HR so far like I did with Jodie so it's not better to me lol
One of my issues as well, I didnt feel compelled to hurry along or care for the plot. You can be rooted to the spot for like 30 minutes and its as if you pressed pause

dafoe is criminally underused. Shouldve gotten much more screen time and more lines

fvng

You're judging a game you never played and basing your opinion on an LP with humorous commentary intended to crack on the game? Are you shitting me? GAF, this is unacceptable shit. The more you tell us, the less acceptable your opinion of the game gets.

20cent

Banned
Finished the game yesterday night.

I was very annoyed how short were most sequences and by the not-really justified not-chronological action. It doesn't create anything interesting, new or even doesn't make any sense. It was just a "cool" movie gimmick, but it was so 2000's. The whole thing improves a lot mid-game though.

Too bad that the supernatural/Assassin's Creed 2.2 - 3/blockbuster approach ruins the story. It disconnected me from it and the characters. Having an entity was still kinda "plausible", but it becomes too much, starting with the Navajo thing even if I liked that sequence a lot.

Overall was still good, I enjoyed it after the first half as said earlier, but I still prefer Heavy Rain (from what I remember).

MBison

The nothing happens was more of a the game pretty much continues on its own, if you fuck a qte by taking too long or dont pull the sticks it continued for me like nothing. Sure you have to move forward but theres not much gameplay to be had

i paid attention to their "relationship", if you posses aiden in one of the missions you can over hear ryan "trashing" jodie and saying he doesnt care about her

Um that was when he was first taking her from Nathan. The first time you see him.

Wow good job paying attention.

Cloudy

Banned
One of my issues as well, I didnt feel compelled to hurry along or care for the plot. You can be rooted to the spot for like 30 minutes and its as if you pressed pause

dafoe is criminally underused. Shouldve gotten much more screen time and more lines

I cared about Jodie and the plot and if you didn't, I can see why you didn't like the game. I think it has to hook you cos she is the plot for the most part

As far as the second point,
if you look at posters for the game from back in 2012, Dafoe wasn't a headliner. It was just "Ellen Page in...." I noticed this while watching an interview she and Cage did with IGN back then. Seems like they just used him for PR cos he didn't really have a larger role than Cole or Ryan. He's a big name so it raised expectations.

Rutgurk

Neo Member

You haven't played the game, so how would you know?

Oh and comparing your enjoyment of cutscenes? Wtf? There's more to games than just their stories. Maybe if you played them you could actually experience this wonderful world of interactive entertainment and have a valid opinion on how good or bad they are :eek:

Anyway, came in here because I just started playing yesterday (about an hour and a half), and I really like the jodie / aiden split so far. I just can't stop thinking about the things I did and the choices I made, and wonder if I made the 'right' ones. I think it took heavy rain about 5 hours before it really clicked and I cared about the choices, so thats progress ;)

"
She is a teenager. She is nervous as hell.
For the bar scene: You can hear them talking about you (very creepy stuff), when you use Aiden. So it makes perfect sense. You need to play the game of course.

Because the characters in TLoU are mostly developed through these cutscenes. About 90 minutes of footage. Movie length. They do some cool stuff with the gameplay as well, but much of the development is enjoyed passive by watching cutscenes. They are fast and to the point. They use movie techniques to make you care. So you can get an experience out of it by watching.

In Beyond you could say it is pretty much 9 hours of these cutscenes. But you play them. So there is no need to hurry and develop characters fast, because you have much more time. Most of the development happens active through exploring and interacting with your environment. The little things matter. They make you care by role playing. So the passive stuff is maybe not the highest quality, but it doesn't matter, because they made you already care through the act of playing the game and assuming the role of said character. This is a big difference. I agree that the story is nothing special, but it doesn't have to be, because the game is carried by its main character alone which you put yourself into completely while playing down to the tiniest details.

This is the first mission they went on together. Still 2 years before Dinner happened. Of course he wouldn't say that he cares about her, he is freaking working and talking to a fellow agent. It would be foolish to admit that he cares about an agent and would probably get him fired immediately. When she comes out of the bathroom you can clearly see that he is worried about her.

Is it even possible to fail in Beyond? I messed up a few times and got a red screen for a split second but it'd always continue. I never had to redo a part. The whole game literally felt like a mildly interactive cutscene -- I wouldn't say the same thing about Heavy Rain. Heavy Rain had crap voice acting and lesser production values, but it was a better game.
Well you never had to redo a part in Heavy Rain either. You couldn't fail for 80% of the game as well. When you loose in a fight, the character gets beat up, but nothing else is affected and the story moves on pretty much unchanged. Character death is introduced about 70% in. Still better than none at all, but the majority of HR is really not that different from Beyond in terms of choice and consequence. And of course you can fail the fights in Beyond resulting in slightly different scenarios. Nothing serious though, same with Heavy Rain for much of the game. The difference here is, that you were still scared that they might die in HR, but here because of Aiden you probably don't feel the same way about Jodie.

I feel the Condenser and other spots needed to have some consequences for your actions though..
You can actually fail to close the portal I think.

Finished the game yesterday night.

I was very annoyed how short were most sequences and by the not-really justified not-chronological action. It doesn't create anything interesting, new or even doesn't make any sense.
It makes sense and it does create interesting situations, where you are conflicted in your motivations, because you don't know what happened up to this point.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Yes, there is a huge disconnect that comes from not actually playing the game, and I'm not going to watch an LP of TLOU, for the same reasons that should already be clear to you. I have a better idea, why don't you play these games instead of watching LPs? So far there's been several negative reviews of Beyond in this thread that have a footnote like "I didn't play the game"

Look, the bottom line is you're reviewing a game you didn't play. Pause for a moment and think about how ridiculous that sounds and ask yourself why anyone here should respect the opinion of anyone who does that sort of thing.

I'm reviewing a game I never played? When I clearly stated right off the bat that the genre of game doesn't interest me so I wasnt planning on getting it in the first place? Im not allowed to have an opinion on the story and writing and acting without spending 60 bucks on a game I almost definitely won't enjoy the gameplay of?

Got it. Ill just back out slowly through the hedges now. Jesus Christ.

I'm reviewing a game I never played? When I clearly stated right off the bat that the genre of game doesn't interest me so I wasnt planning on getting it in the first place? Im not allowed to have an opinion on the story and writing and acting without spending 60 bucks on a game I almost definitely won't enjoy the gameplay of?

Got it. Ill just back out slowly through the hedges now. Jesus Christ.
Then you maybe shouldn't be in this thread, when it is so uninteresting to you. We want to discuss the game here. This works best if you experienced it the way it was designed to be, by playing it. Honestly I see some problems with the writing too, but they are easily negated by the experience that playing the game gave me, which is part of the overall writing and game design quality. I have another layer to my opinion that you are just missing. So quite frankly I don't think you bring anything meaningful to the discussion.

No offence.

Replicant

I don't understand why people think that
Ryan is a douche, especially when he first met Jodie. Sure he was harsh to her but IMO, she was behaving like a brat. And she's supposed to be about what? 18 years old or older? I understand that she felt like she was being shipped off again but at the same time it seems unprofessional to act like a petulant child in front of a stranger she never met before.

Also, during the dinner date, if you don't interrupt him as Aiden, you get to hear his background story and it's actually not that different from Jodie's. Abusive stepfather and all that. I also got the impression that despite being harsh at Jodie in the training montages, he actually does not want Jodie to get involved in the entire thing, thus his desire to see her failing the test.

Of course I haven't played further than "The Dinner" but so far there's nothing that warrant the kind of loathing people seem to have for him.

One criticism about control: I don't know if my six axis is just not working properly but I find it hard to execute the movement where you have to do an up to down movement using the controller. Often I have to drop the controller to execute that movement. Even worse was the one where you have to move the controller left and right. I couldn't do that at all - as in my controller couldn't perform the movement - so I had to switch to the touch control using my tablet.

system11

Just finished it, what a mixed bag. I liked the story and I liked the character acting, everything looked and sounded nice aside from the black bars.

However, the majority of the game is like Dragons Lair with no way to fail. Push the thumbstick a few times, done. The few sections with some real gameplay are nice enough aside from movement controls being a bit haphazard, but they're too few and far between.

Oh, and the controller waving got old the first time it asked me to do it, that was just a constant annoyance.

kubus

Ryan is a douche, especially when he first met Jodie. Sure he was harsh to her but IMO, she was behaving like a brat. And she's supposed to be about what? 18 years old or older? I understand that she felt like she was being shipped off again but at the same time it seems unprofessional to act like a petulant child in front of a stranger she never met before.

Also, during the dinner date, if you don't interrupt him as Aiden, you get to hear his background story and it's actually not that different from Jodie's. Abusive stepfather and all that. I also got the impression that despite being harsh at Jodie in the training montages, he actually does not want Jodie to get involved in the entire thing, thus his desire to see her failing the test.

Of course I haven't played further than "The Dinner" but so far there's nothing that warrant the kind of loathing people seem to have for him.

One criticism about control: I don't know if my six axis is just not working properly but I find it hard to execute the movement where you have to do an up to down movement using the controller. Often I have to drop the controller to execute that movement. Even worse was the one where you have to move the controller left and right. I couldn't do that at all - as in my controller couldn't perform the movement - so I had to switch to the touch control using my tablet.
Trust me when I say that people have a legit reason to hate Ryan. Just keep playing :)

I have to disagree with you on the above, though.
I perfectly understood why Jodie was so angry (or sad, or whatever, I guess it depends on what dialog you chose for her. For me it was angry). She was living there for years, she had people there who actually understood her and cared for her. People she never really had in the past (except for maybe her mother, but she cast her aside in the end, too). History was repeating itself for her. The revelation that the unit she was in was run by the CIA and she was basically being kept there to get her ready for CIA training must've come as a shock to her. Plus the fact that Ryan was acting like a douchebag and didn't even give her time to say goodbye to Cole and Nathan... Just, nope. He was an ass to her and I loved it when I made her say "You can go fuck yourself". That felt nice.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well and the fact that everything is in slow motion is also a good indicator :D Often at the beginning of an action scene I missed the first one, because I wasn't ready for it. But after that you know that they are coming and the bullet time, greyscale effect and the sound makes it obvious when it is time :D

This is literally another "Miyamoto: What the fuck do you want" moment. People complain about shaking the controller and doing 3 prompts just to drink orange juice, he listens and removes them and now everybody wants them back. I kinda feel the same way though. Some of the stuff was silly in Heavy Rain and Beyond does a good job of streamlining most of it. On the other hand HR gave you a higher feeling of involvement. You had to do something on the controller pretty much all the time. Maybe silly, but it did help to make it at least feel more interactive, even when it was still a cutscene.

I kinda doubt that he will ever go back though. Either his next game is going to be completely different, or maybe he finds an acceptable middle ground between the two.

Yeah, but it dramatically enhances player agency. It feels a lot more like a game (and a lot more like Cage's previous work). I don't think this is "not a game" or whatever dumb shit retarded internet trolls post, but I do think it contributes to the feeling that the mechanics are underbaked and the game itself is a series of linear cutscenes where you don't actually do all that much from an input point of view.

MercuryLS

Banned
The demo was pretty terrible, I kinda enjoyed Heavy Rain but I think I will skip this. Sony should drop Quantic Dream, they are overrated.

Chev

You just described why Beyond is a game, because it needs input
Isn't there a french reviewer who lambasted it because after starting it he put down the controller and it still went all the way to the end (well, one of the ends)? I think I read something like that and I'm kinda intrigued.

Ghazi

The demo was pretty terrible, I kinda enjoyed Heavy Rain but I think I will skip this. Sony should drop Quantic Dream, they are overrated.
So they can replace them with some fps shooter or racing studio? No thanks, I'm quite happy with what QD brings to the table.

Replicant

Another thing that bothers me about the control is when you have several options to choose from and you thought "Oh okay, I choose that one first" only to realize that this path would probably lead you forward with the story and makes it impossible for you to do the other option. It's annoying that there's no cancel mechanism. If I don't want to do something, I should be able to cancel the action and choose the other option instead. But the game often don't let me do that so I have to quit back to the menu and redo the section which is bloody annoying!

IMO they should have stuck their gun and stay with HR QTEs. After all, that's the kind of QTEs that most people are used to. It's pretty similar to rhythm game button press and requires a lot of player's agency. I definitely prefer that to the one stick/one click button press. And lessen the six axis control please. Those are pretty annoying.

Nonsense. Despite their flaws, I like what they do and I think they have the talent to go forward and improve their gameplay.

Played for 4 hours, great game/movie/whatever so far. The most important thing for me is that I am entertained, and boy am I entertained!

Can't wait to continue!

Shahed

Just finished the game. I liked it overall. The presentation and acting was far superior to Heavy Rain, and the story made more sense and was better written. Still preferred Heavy Rain though since I'm a big fan of murder/mystery stuff and thought the tone was more thrilling

Is there a faster way to get alternate endings? Because while I'd like to see them, I'm not sure I can be bothered going through another 20 mins to pick a different choice

Another thing that bothers me about the control is when you have several options to choose from and you thought "Oh okay, I choose that one first" only to realize that this path would probably lead you forward with the story and makes it impossible for you to do the other option. It's annoying that there's no cancel mechanism. If I don't want to do something, I should be able to cancel the action and choose the other option instead. But the game often don't let me do that so I have to quit back to the menu and redo the section which is bloody annoying!

IMO they should have stuck their gun and stay with HR QTEs. After all, that's the kind of QTEs that most people are used to. It's pretty similar to rhythm game button press and requires a lot of player's agency. I definitely prefer that to the one stick/one click button press. And lessen the six axis control please. Those are pretty annoying.
Your sixaxis is definitely broken. Never had a single problem. The detection is actually miles better than in HR. And be glad. Originally Aiden was all sixaxis and driving as well :D

Multiple choice options like this also existed in HR. It increases replay value. I only had one encounter where it was annoying, but it wasn't important. The game makes sure you don't miss anything that is really important. Also you can start the animation and then cancel it if you don't want to do it. Read your own OP :p

And don't restart. Just go with it.

Of course I haven't played further than "The Dinner" but so far there's nothing that warrant the kind of loathing people seem to have for him..
I liked him too (at that point).....

fvng

For anyone who wants a break down on how just about every game presents the player with only a illusion of choice, it's definitely worth watching this extra credits video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohPdz8G-_bA

Faulting Beyond for what other games actively do is a bit lame, Beyond just didn't disguise it as well as others.

Audioboxer

Homeless has been my favourite chapter so far. Loved the Heavy Rain easter egg in it as well. There's probably quite a few things to be found in Aiden mode.

fvng

Isn't there a french reviewer who lambasted it because after starting it he put down the controller and it still went all the way to the end (well, one of the ends)? I think I read something like that and I'm kinda intrigued.

How is that possible? I saw a gametrailers video where they criticized the game because the game refused to go forward until Jodie accepted the coffee that Stan was handing over to her. Literally waiting for the player input. So I find that hard to believe, but yeah there are definitely moments in the game where the story continues if you don't do anything.
I opted to not fight off the dogs, and eventually the cops found me in the area where you fight the dogs, rather than later on in the level. You will always get apprehended by the cops, your only influence is at what point and how.
I would have enjoyed opportunities in the game to fail, but as a storyteller I understand why he didn't want the momentum of the game to slow down. I just wish the game's default mode was the 'casual' difficulty level, and the normal difficulty level gave you opportunities to die or outright fail.

Floex

Finished and all I can think of it is Johnathan Cage blew it. I was a big fan of Heavy Rain, genuinely thought it was doing something different from the norm at the time. Biggest problem of course was the gameplay but I didn't mind as it reminded me of an old point n' click adventure. The story is a tad hokum but what video game story isn't. I was genuinely looking forward to seeing what he and the team had learnt with this with their next title....

Nothing it seems.

Fast forward to this, everything that needed to be worked on, that needed to be improved upon wasn't. The janky walking controls, the over abundance of quick time events, the convoluted plot that just got more and more nonsensical as it progressed, quite frankly it's a mess. The story is beyond (lol) a joke. More and more ludicrous, with characters you do not want to spend anytime with.

I honestly felt I wasn't in control of the game at all. Tapping to win is not an emotional experience. Heavy Rain atleast allowed for exploration, it atleast allowed for tension in knowing someone could die. This had none of that, I didn't feel threatened, no tension because the game treated me like a baby the whole time through.

There were certain scenes that were handled really well, most notably when it was trying to be a horror. And Ellen Page's performance worked fine on the whole, let down by Cage's script.

I wish Cage would try to write a story that isn't trying to cram in so many ideas into one thing. One minute, it's a horror, the next sci-fi, the next action film. If he just kept it simple instead of trying to make the next sci-fi masterpiece, he may realise his vision. The setup at the minute needs a huge rethink because it isn't working.

Since Beyond is probably my GOTY over TLoU I say NO! They are pretty amazing and talented. The game has its flaws for sure, but some of the scenes smoke everything released this year in terms of emotional engagement.

Nah that's not possible. You have to interact, the game doesn't move you forward most of the time. If you fail a fight by doing nothing for example something else will happen and you have to interact again.

Is there a faster way to get alternate endings? Because while I'd like to see them, I'm not sure I can be bothered going through another 20 mins to pick a different choice
You can just replay the epilogue. For some of them you have to replay the entire final chapter though. YouTube them I would say.

Sorian

Banned
How is that possible? I saw a gametrailers video where they criticized the game because the game refused to go forward until Jodie accepted the coffee that Stan was handing over to her. Literally waiting for the player input. I find that hard to believe, but yeah there are defintiely moments in the game where the story continues if you don't do anything.
I opted to not fight off the dogs, and eventually the cops found me in the area where you fight the dogs, rather than later on in the level. You will always get apprehended by the cops, your only influence is at what point and how.

In regards to your spoiler,
no, you will not always get apprehended by the cops, you can get away and it is quite easy

No, I can't in this instance. I either jump using six axis and get on with the story or it'll just stuck there in endless loop. There's no prompt to cancel. I wasn't even holding L1.
Which scene (spoiler tag)? Never had any issues like this, must be very rare.

I wish Cage would try to write a story that isn't trying to cram in so many ideas into one thing. One minute, it's a horror, the next sci-fi, the next action film. If he just kept it simple instead of trying to make the next sci-fi masterpiece, he may realise his vision. The setup at the minute needs a huge rethink because it isn't working.
Voice acting is much better. Controls are better, because you no longer have to hold R2 to walk. Dialogue on the whole is better written as well (still iffy in parts). The story also makes perfect sense, there is not a single plothole from what I can tell. Heavy Rain had dozens, which were blatantly obvious. Beyond is in fact better written, even though it deals with supernatural and sci-fi stuff. I actually love that he puts so many side stories into one game with almost different genres. Not every idea works, but most of them did for me.

To say they didn't learn anything is just wrong.

Floex

Voice acting is much better. Controls are better, because you no longer have to hold R2 to walk. Dialogue on the whole is better written as well (still iffy in parts). The story also makes perfect sense, there is not a single plothole from what I can tell. Heavy Rain had dozens, which were blatantly obvious. Beyond is in fact better written, even though it deals with supernatural and sci-fi stuff. I actually love that he puts so many side stories into one game with almost different genres. Not every idea works, but most of them did for me.

Saying it's better doesn't mean it's good. All that has happened is that it's gone from total shit, to shit.

The story may make more sense but again doesn't mean it's good. Part of the reason for plotholes in Heavy Rain is because it was doing something far more ambitious. It had to tell stories about who lived, who died, what if the character did this, or choose to do that. I will not proclaim the story was in anyway good in HR but it had ideas. Beyond was telling a story that just simply wasn't interesting, I had more attachment to characters in a Van Wilder movie.

Saying it's better doesn't mean it's good. All that has happened is that it's gone from total shit, to shit.

The story may make more sense but again doesn't mean it's good. Part of the reason for plotholes in Heavy Rain is because it was doing something far more ambitious. It had to tell stories about who lived, who died, what if the character did this, or choose to do that. I will not proclaim the story was in anyway good in HR but it had ideas. Beyond was telling a story that just simply wasn't interesting, I had more attachment to characters in a Van Wilder movie.
Maybe it was, but there was stuff like the blackouts and character thoughts that were just awfully handled no matter how ambitious it was. There are many problems which have nothing to do with how choice works in HR.

Beyond has nothing of that shit. The story is not bad, it's just simple. There is not much to it. Not nearly enough to warrant the game being 8 hours long. Beyond works for me, because it is all about Jodie. I don't care about the story, I care about her. The story is just an excuse. I play the scene to see what happens to her. If you treat every scene as a self-contained vignette it becomes a much better experience.

At least that's how I approached this game and I loved it. I feel it was intended to be exactly that. If you are looking for a mystery, tension filled story this is definitely the wrong game. I appreciate that he didn't try to make Heavy Rain 2.

Maybe you have better luck with his PS4 project. He hired two other writers for that one.

Yeah, but it dramatically enhances player agency. It feels a lot more like a game (and a lot more like Cage's previous work). I don't think this is "not a game" or whatever dumb shit retarded internet trolls post, but I do think it contributes to the feeling that the mechanics are underbaked and the game itself is a series of linear cutscenes where you don't actually do all that much from an input point of view.
Agreed. Let's see how his PS4 sci-fi/online/whatever game is going to turn out.

Homeless has been my favourite chapter so far. Loved the Heavy Rain easter egg in it as well. There's probably quite a few things to be found in Aiden mode.
There is a lot you can find as Aiden yeah. The environments are crazy detailed.

Top Bottom