• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Yeah it does reset. So you would have to replay everything starting from Like Other Girls till Separation without skipping ahead. Honestly you should stick with your choices. It's your unique journey, don't ruin it. You can still replay the whole game afterwards.

Probably. He let her escape too. I guess they were like "well after she gets home she will find out anyway sooner or later by turning on her TV at home, so it doesn't matter. The mission was a success and that's it. If she becomes a problem we will just get rid of her."

Or maybe that was the plan anyway and the reason the boss sent his own helicopter, so they could get her to the agency quickly and then see what to do with her when she eventually finds out. Just unfortunate for them that she turned on the TV before arriving there just in time to find out. Probably an oversight.

I hear ya, but at least for me time was not at problem. He shows up 30 minutes late anyway, so I had plenty of time to prepare everything :D

Ugh, boo. Thanks. I'll just carry on then. Sorry Jodi, despite a perfect date, no sex for you.

Replicant

I hear ya, but at least for me time was not at problem. He shows up 30 minutes late anyway, so I had plenty of time to prepare everything :D

You know what's really annoying? How the game specifies that you have to wear the elegant dress if you want to get the trophy. Why can't I SLUT IT UP and still nail the scene, so to speak?

You know what's really annoying? How the game specifies that you have to wear the elegant dress if you want to get the trophy. Why can't I SLUT IT UP and still nail the scene, so to speak?
You can? You just don't get the trophy. The trophy is just what the designers consider to be the "perfect date", but Ryan's reaction doesn't really change depending on what you wear. So you can still nail it, you just don't get the trophy (= the extra brownie points). It's rather arbitrary, same with a lot of similar trophies in HR.

From a story perspective you could argue that the elegant dress is the same one she wears during The Embassy where Ryan specifically points out that he likes her dress. So at least I immediately put on that dress during my first playthrough, because I remembered his comment and thought that he would maybe appreciate it.

Ugh, boo. Thanks. I'll just carry on then. Sorry Jodi, despite a perfect date, no sex for you.
Can't have everything. Just like real life :D

RedSwirl

Finished the game.
What the fuck is up with that ending shot? It's basically Jodie becoming some kind of supernatural Road Warrior.

Anyway, overall, I will say that as some people have said GTAV set the bar for next-gen open world games (I still haven't played it), I think Beyond has set the next-gen bar for cinematic gameplay, as much as I hate cinematic gameplay.

Beyond really is the logical conclusion of all those narrative-based super-scripted action games. It basically does just have you play a part in a movie, ad libbing here and there, but the lighting and animation manage to look realistic as fuck. I think this game and what footage we've seen of MGSV show the potential of motion capture animation when used in combination with natural lighting, and you don't even need new hardware to get that effect.

The only reason this "cinematic gameplay" doesn't piss me off in Beyond though is because Beyond is an adventure game, with narrative as its main component. It does piss me off whenever an action game uses this shit to keep me AWAY from the main gameplay perspective.

As an adventure game though, I still don't really agree with how David Cage attempts to handle immersion. Cage strikes me as a man who's very much at-odds with today's standard video game controllers. QTEs are basically an attempt to create interactive actions that can't really be achieved with today's control interfaces and gameplay systems, and I don't think they're effective. Shaking the Dual Shock to make Jodie raise a wine glass does not make me feel like I'm raising a wine glass. There's no dynamic system at play there. Cage is trying to paint interaction in fine strokes that aren't possible until we get holodecks or some other new input method. Ultimately, I still think Beyond would've been much better as a standard adventure game built around the mechanic of using Aiden.

Shaking the Dual Shock to make Jodie raise a wine glass does not make me feel like I'm raising a wine glass. There's no dynamic system at play there.

I think the opposite, most of the times when the game ask you to mimic what Jodie is going to do on the screen, it works and feels immersive to me. But I guess is a matter of opinion.

By the way, what's the deal with this game and boxing?, starting from Jodie whatching a boxing match in his apartment.

Scrabble

I think the opposite, most of the times when the game ask you to mimic what Jodie is going to do on the screen, it works and feels immersive to me. But I guess is a matter of opinion.

By the way, what's the deal with this game and boxing?, starting from Jodie whatching a boxing match in his apartment.

Heavy Rain did a much better job of mimicking controller actions to the player character. I though Beyond dumbed down the controls way too much. Having to hold down all shoulder buttons, as well as some crazy combination of face buttons was a really good way to simulate a character struggling. Heavy Rain, is surprisingly one of the most tense and stressful games I've ever played, which is something I feel beyond could have done much better at.

kubus

Can't believe there isn't an artbook or something like that made for this game. The behind the scenes videos were really interesting and I wish we got to see more footage of how they did the motion capture scenes.

I found out that there is some sort of artbook that came as a pre-order bonus in France and Italy, but these books are hard to find online and regretfully only in French and Italian...

The media press kit looks absolutely amazing and I wish I had one. They're going for insane prices on eBay, like always, though :(. There are a couple of videos that show the inside of the press kit and it's full of amazing concept art, high quality art spreads, interviews with David Cage and more behind-the-scenes pictures.

Can't believe I'm actually considering trying to buy one from eBay...

Currently there is a guy working on extracting the full soundtrack, unfortunately the tracks are stored as 128kbps in the game archive files. He's been posting them on his YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLr7Q1-SdtL8omZ8oXuVYU1XO_mrr72CB
Thanks dude. Finally found the full Hunted action music including the bike chase and some other kickass stuff, like the track when
you are helping to deliver the baby.

I'm not saying it was everyone or that there isn't a lot to criticize in this game, but I feel like a lot of people who were disappointed were expecting a much more grounded drama full of feels. I was expecting something like that myself, the difference is that when I got anime, I loved it even more.

I wasn't expecting Beyond to be this, but I was hyped as shit when I found out it was. I didn't even play the demo, so I honestly had no idea at all. The motorcycle part was a Rules of Nature goes with everything moment..
That's....a rather interesting view on the game. I like it :D

JesseZao

If you want trophies, you should be used to making choices/doing tasks you wouldn't have normally made/done.

Can't believe there isn't an artbook or something like that made for this game.

I found out that there is some sort of artbook that came as a pre-order bonus in France and Italy, but these books are hard to find online and regretfully only in French and Italian...

The media press kit looks absolutely amazing and I wish I had one. They're going for insane prices on eBay, like always, though :(. There are a couple of videos that show the inside of the press kit and it's full of amazing concept art, high quality art spreads, interviews with David Cage and more behind-the-scenes pictures.

Can't believe I'm actually considering trying to buy one from eBay...
The press kit is the art book pretty much. The same book was also included in the Asian Director's Edition. This edition is already sold out though, many lucky people got a copy from Play-Asia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeH2GAkt31M

The behind the scenes videos were really interesting and I wish we got to see more footage of how they did the motion capture scenes.
You want mo-cap? They released a shit ton for that. Here have some mo-cap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71m1hnIImNo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KBYw5TO2g4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tieg9y9w85M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg8RWu6EdZ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EClYp9AkgGc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVRUdcGnZQU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2VTnJcqF2o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhGnkeD2bTI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPfDy3Iuu-E

:D

Each video has unique stuff, even though much is recycled between them. So just keep watching.

Finished the game.
What the fuck is up with that ending shot? It's basically Jodie becoming some kind of supernatural Road Warrior.
Just an ambiguous teaser. Probably what will inevitable happen, since science can't be stopped. The ending is left open to interpretation and I doubt we will ever see a sequel. Jodie is about 38-43 in that shot and pretty much fighting against the apocalypse :D

RedSwirl

Just an ambiguous teaser. Probably what will inevitable happen, since science can't be stopped. The ending is left open to interpretation and I doubt we will ever see a sequel. Jodie is about 38-43 in that shot and pretty much fighting against the apocalypse :D

Wait what? They never explicitly state her ages throughout the game or how much time has passed.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Finished.

Game was losing me around the Navajo chapter, but picked up again soon after. Decent twist near the end that I didn't quite see coming re: Aiden, but all in all felt more engaged and connected to the events and plot of Heavy Rain. I can see how certain decisions would have somewhat altered a few key events and possibly the end, but felt less like they culminated in my story and rather a few slight tweaks to what we all experience.

Not bad though and technically stunning, but a bit letdown.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Well that's it. After 2 hours or so of trying to install the damn game, I'm throwing in the towel! I can't believe there isn't any info on how to fix this at all. Guess it's time to watch the game on YouTube. Thank god I only rented from game fly.

Wait what? They never explicitly state her ages throughout the game or how much time has passed.
They do. Almost each chapter has a reference to past events stating how much time has passed or how old someone is. Also some chapters have calendars or computers with actual researched and accurate dates inside them. It checks out perfectly too.

Here is the full timeline of the game and how old each character is in important scenes:

BIRTHDAYS:

Jodie : September 29 1989
Nathan : 1959
Cole : August 05 1967
Ryan : April 24 1977

TIMELINE:

My Imaginary Friend : December 1998
First Interview : February 1999
First Night : February 1999
Alone : March 1999
The Experiment : March 1999
Night Session : August 1999
Hauntings : August 1999

The Party : Summer 2004
Like other Girls : 1st July 2006
The Condenser : 2006
Separation : 2007
Welcome to the CIA : 2007

The Embassy : 2010
The Dinner : Spring-Summer 2012
The Mission : October 2012
Hunted : 29th October 2012
Homeless : December 2012
Broken : March-May 2013
Navajo : Summer 2013

Old Friends : 8-14th September 2014
Black Sun : 14th November 2014

Epilogue (cabin) : Late February 2015
Apocalypse : 2027-2033 (based on Zoey's age)

AGES:

Nathan (Age):

First Interview : ~40 years old
The Party : ~46 years old
Like other Girls : ~48 years old
Black Sun : ~55 years old

Cole (Age):

First Night : 31 years old
Like other Girls : 38 years old
Black Sun : 47 years old
Epilogue : 47 years old

Ryan (Age):

Separation : 29-30 years old
Welcome to the CIA : 29-30 years old
The Embassy : 32-33 years old
The Dinner : 34-35 years old
The Mission : 35 years old
Black Sun : 37 years old
Epilogue : 37 years old

Jodie (Age):

My Imaginary Friend : 9
The Experiment : 9
Hauntings : 9

The Party : 14
Like other Girls : 16
The Condenser : 16 (almost 17)
Separation : 17
Welcome to the CIA : 17

The Embassy : 20
The Dinner : 22
The Mission : 23
Hunted : 23
Homeless : 23
Broken : 23
Navajo : 23

Old Friends : 24
Black Sun : 25

Epilogue (cabin) : 25
Apocalypse : 38-43 (based on Zoey's age)

kubus

The press kit is the art book pretty much. The same book was also included in the Asian Director's Edition. This edition is already sold out though, many lucky people got a copy from Play-Asia:
(...)
You want mo-cap? They released a shit ton for that. Here have some mo-cap:
(...)

Oh my god thank youuuu for telling me this. I had heard about this illusive "Director's Edition", but when I searched for pictures I thought it was the same size as a normal PS3 game and thus assumed that the artbook wouldn't be worth it. But booooy was I wrong. THE THING IS MASSIVE. MASSIVE!!

So I just ordered a Director's Edition from eBay. It cost me a lot of money ($150, ouch) but I hope I can sell the steelbook for a nice price and get some of the money back since I already have the European steelbook edition.

So again, thanks! And also for those videos you linked, I thought the Special Edition would have all the behind the scenes videos. Something about these actors being awkward with cardboard pizzas and makeshift car doors is really interesting to see :p.

I'm a happy Beyond fan now :).

Just started playing this about an hour ago. Enjoying it a lot so far, it feels slicker than Heavy Rain and the controls are more intuitive. However, any time it asks me o hold the controller flat and jerk it down, she doesn't respond with an action. I've already had to reset one of the first sections because young Jodie picked up a guitar but wouldn't play it, and now on the first CIA training section she won't drop down off the monkey bars. Anyone else have trouble with this?

Just downloaded the Beyond Touch app. It's actually a pretty cool idea to let you control it from your phone if you wish.

Edit - although it does also highlight just how much the game plays itself.

Sounds like a broken sixaxis. That sucks dude. Might have to replace it. I had zero issues with this.
Keep in mind that the touch app uses an easy mode which automates the game even more, since this mode is designed for casual gamers. It removes some fail states as well or makes getting them pretty much impossible.

Sounds like a broken sixaxis. That sucks dude. Might have to replace it. I had zero issues with this.
Keep in mind that the touch app uses an easy mode which automates the game even more, since this mode is designed for casual gamers. It removes some fail states as well or makes getting them pretty much impossible.

It's not my Sixaxis controller, as I recently played Flow without any problems and I've not had any trouble with any other actions besides this specific one action. It's no big deal though really, as I can use the app to navigate where need be and the controller the rest of the time.

Navajo was the best chapter. I'm approaching the final two chapters of the game and honestly the story is garbage. Ellen Page is no better than the no name actors in Heavy Rain. She is seriously awful. Dafoe is good and I liked Cole as well. Enjoyed Heavy Rain more than this but I think I'm done with Quantic Dream games.

I posted my immediate impressions on this in the other thread 12 hours ago, but that one seems dead =(

So here it is with some spoiler inputted motifications if anyone's curious.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just finished the game, and its like 6:00AM so I will ramble and poorly word things.

Was it just me or was it being inferred that Aiden needed her -- well that's why I just chose the Beyond ending ... oh yeah and plus Ryan was on the other side -___-

Point number two --- It's kind of a messy game (in a million ways) but I finished the game in one day, so I definitely was engaged throughout which does say something.

The
Navajo
sub
mission, and
Africa
felt off to me though. Just finished it so forgive me, but the
Navajo
mission felt like filler ... I don't really understand how that relates to the rest of the plot. The
Sub
mission and
Africa
just felt like dumb dude bro missions. Though I didn't mind the little sub-plot with the
child soldier

Ryan is a really awfully executed character, like really bad.

Homeless was the best part.

Jodie is Quantic Dream's best written and acted character.

And there really is kind of a weird ending with the futuristic cliffhanger crap but ... eh okay its kind of cool at the same time I guess.

David Cage, really needed to simplify the story of this game, it got way too ludicrous with the more combative missions. He also needs; and this sounds weird considering the man, but he probably needs to refrain even more from having unnecessary action sequences, as I can tell he is afraid of not keeping the dudebros engaged, but all he should be aiming to make a tighter story, which lets face it ... is what his games are all and should be all about.

Also I ultimately feel like, every other supporting character was not developed enough for me to care about anyone all that much. I mean Cole and Nathan were fine but it felt like, we didn't see them develop their bonds with Jodie, well we sort of did with Nathan, but the non-sequential presentation of it was out of order which screwed this part up.
The homeless guys, we did witness them developing bonds.... but then they were out of the game until the very end which was a bummer.

Anyhow like I said, it's still a great and engaging experience. This game, when taken and analyzed apart probably looks and plays like crap. But the pacing was quite good as the fairly quick chapters that bounce around her life, made even the shallower levels easier to swallow. My biggest issue was that it made context, mainly those of certain character bond developments feel underdeveloped to the player.

Oh well, I really hope David Cage still makes these kinds of games, they are frustrating but they are also great thrilling experiences in the moment but fall short in some key areas. Mr. Cage definitely needs somebody, really good to go over his work, but even if he doesn't, I still want to play his game/work/art/or whatever you call it -- because they are I feel, ultimately engaging experiences; which, to get that debate out of the way is all that matters.

So with all that said, I'll probably give it an 8.5 if anybody cares =)

Navajo was the best chapter. I'm approaching the final two chapters of the game and honestly the story is garbage. Ellen Page is no better than the no name actors in Heavy Rain. She is seriously awful. Dafoe is good and I liked Cole as well. Enjoyed Heavy Rain more than this but I think I'm done with Quantic Dream games.
I mean opinions and all, but this is weird. Literally every reviewer and most players so far agreed that her performance is one of the best things about the game. I thought it was her best performance I have seen so far and one of the best in gaming. IMO she literally shits all over the HR actors and then some. Nathan and Cole were not even close to Page's performance IMO. She literally elevated the game from liking it to something I love. She sold me all the emotional scenes perfectly and they really affected me, while HR left me cold mainly because of the bad acting. The way she feels present in the scene and all the subtle facial animations which are all done by her are excellent.

The story is not garbage at all. It is relatively simple and straightforward. Well executed ending and pretty much no plotholes. Honestly the game doesn't even have a story until 2/3 in. Maybe that's bad, but I liked it since the game focused entirely on her character, which I found very compelling.

So with all that said, I'll probably give it an 8.5 if anybody cares =)
Responded to you in the spoiler thread.

Anyone know how long this game is, roughly? I've just finished the section where they
shut down the portal to the other side.
Probably done about 10 chapters, or memories, or whatever you'd call them. Honestly not really liking it so far, I'm already thinking of selling it. There's just not enough actual game in there, the controls are mostly horrible and I don't really care for the scenario overall. I liked Heavy Rain a lot despite its many flaws, but I'm really not feeling this one after a couple of hours or so.

Anyone know how long this game is, roughly? I've just finished the section where they
shut down the portal to the other side.
Probably done about 10 chapters, or memories, or whatever you'd call them. Honestly not really liking it so far, I'm already thinking of selling it. There's just not enough actual game in there, the controls are mostly horrible and I don't really care for the scenario overall. I liked Heavy Rain a lot despite its many flaws, but I'm really not feeling this one after a couple of hours or so.
Interesting how fast your opinion changed:

Just started playing this about an hour ago. Enjoying it a lot so far, it feels slicker than Heavy Rain and the controls are more intuitive.

That was about 7 chapters in when you posted that. Now you are in chapter 10 and dislike it already? Maybe you should keep going in case you like the next chapters more again. The Condenser and Hunted are two of the most action packed chapters in the game in case you want to know. There are only 2 more of those and they are not as supernatural. The story also picks up in the second half, but maybe you don't care anymore once you reach that point.

The controls are fine. Are you still playing with the app? I heard many people saying that it controls rather badly compared to a DS3. Really, how can you go from "it feels slicker and more intuitive than HR" to "horrible" in only 3 chapters? That doesn't make much sense dude. Please explain yourself and maybe I can help you.

In terms of playtime you are probably 33% in.

Doc Evils

Just finished and...

I fucking loved it!

Haters gonna hate, not to everyones taste, but man is this game one emotional rollercoaster!

Good one Cage! I love ya games!

Bowler

Anyone else feel the need to replay the game? I bought it beat it in 2 days. I was gripped the entire time. Give it a 8/10 rating but honestly I have no desire to play it again.

Am I crazy for not playing this game? I really liked HR but the reviews for this game turned me off it, and I still haven't downloaded the demo *sigh*.

I haven't actually read any reviews, just their scores. HR fans are liking it here?

That was about 7 chapters in when you posted that. Now you are in chapter 10 and dislike it already? Maybe you should keep going in case you like the next chapters more again. The Condenser and Hunted are two of the most action packed chapters in the game in case you want to know. There are only 2 more of those and they are not as supernatural. The story also picks up in the second half, but maybe you don't care anymore once you reach that point.

The controls are fine. Are you still playing with the app? I heard many people saying that it controls rather badly compared to a DS3. Really, how can you go from "it feels slicker and more intuitive than HR" to "horrible" in only 3 chapters? That doesn't make much sense dude. Please explain yourself and maybe I can help you.

In terms of playtime you are probably 33% in.

Yeah, my opinion has veered between the two extremes so far. I haven't actually played it again since I last posted (been playing Dead Island in the last few days), but I will get back to it and give it a fair shot.

kazebyaka

Banned
Am I crazy for not playing this game? I really liked HR but the reviews for this game turned me off it, and I still haven't downloaded the demo *sigh*.

I haven't actually read any reviews, just their scores. HR fans are liking it here?
Huge HR fan here. Beyond is skippable.

I'm pretty much the biggest HR fan out there and I loved Beyond. Not as much as HR all things considered I think, but I can say that about almost every game I play. I thoroughly recommend it and the general reception among players is rather positive. It's a pretty beautiful story and game IMO. But it's not for everyone that's for sure, that's why you see such strong reactions here and scores ranging from 4 to 10. It's either love or hate with not much in-between.

I think everyone needs to play it and see for themselves. Reviews and opinions of others are not really telling you much. Try the demo at least, it's a pretty good representation of the final game.

PS: I'm not an Ellen Page fan lol

codhand

yeah, love heavy rain, loving this.

this is an 8/10 game to me, 71 / 100 metascore is disappointing, didnt see that happening. splitting hairs but the diff between a 7, and an 8 average in gaming is quite large.

NHale

Loved Heavy Rain and to me Beyond was disappointing. Not a terrible game but I was expecting more. The story completely falls apart in the last third and the voice acting was not all that great like they hyped up.

However reading the blog post about Beyond "hidden choices" actually gave me a different perspective on the game. It's really interesting that most choices are not evident to the player because they avoid the usual trick of "Character X will remember this". Some of the biggest sequences of the game can actually be skipped based on actions you take, and you could never know that you missed on that content.

Gbraga

Loved Heavy Rain and to me Beyond was disappointing. Not a terrible game but I was expecting more. The story completely falls apart in the last third and the voice acting was not all that great like they hyped up.

However reading the blog post about Beyond "hidden choices" actually gave me a different perspective on the game. It's really interesting that most choices are not evident to the player because they avoid the usual trick of "Character X will remember this". Some of the biggest sequences of the game can actually be skipped based on actions you take, and you could never know that you missed on that content.

Can you link me to this blog post, please? I'm curious.

This is one of my favorite gameplay mechanics. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories did it well but I think it's very under-used in gaming. This, along with a rich choice/consequences system like Alpha Protocol's would make for the ultimate adventure game.

but those games are completely different types of experiences. and alpha protocol is in many ways, straight up broken.

The writer said Beyond Two Souls had a unique feature that was ahead of its time and it's false. It's been done before. Either the writer is lying or he doesn't know what he's talking about.

codhand

The writer said Beyond Two Souls had a unique feature that was ahead of its time and it's false. It's been done before. Either the writer is lying or he doesn't know what he's talking about.

OK true, not new to gaming period, but recommend SH or AP to someone who enjoyed Beyond, and there is a large likelihood of them not enjoying either, as the experiences are entirely different and more gameplay-focused, whereas Beyond is something a novice gamer could play.

Thanks for the feedback. Downloading the demo now (I like how you can shut down the ps3 after your download finishes) and play it when I wake up since it's almost 1:30am here.

It really doesn't. It goes a bit crazy yeah, but it's not like it doesn't make sense. It's well explained and there are a couple of hints throughout the game. A friend of mine guessed everything about 6 hours I think. If you replay the game the story holds up too unlike HR.

because kids are assholes. It wasn't out of the blue if you watch the birthday's girl's disposition from the get go, and the chick that insulted your tastes in music wasn't exactly friendly either. It felt like a gradual build up, and the kid that pretended to be into you felt disingenuous to me as well.

Going from thanks for coming Jodie to burn the witch seemed really contrived, like most of the characters in this game, their motivations are not their own but only exist to help tell Jodie's story

Midou

I mean opinions and all, but this is weird. Literally every reviewer and most players so far agreed that her performance is one of the best things about the game. I thought it was her best performance I have seen so far and one of the best in gaming. IMO she literally shits all over the HR actors and then some. Nathan and Cole were not even close to Page's performance IMO. She literally elevated the game from liking it to something I love. She sold me all the emotional scenes perfectly and they really affected me, while HR left me cold mainly because of the bad acting. The way she feels present in the scene and all the subtle facial animations which are all done by her are excellent.

I find even Cole is better than the entire Heavy Rain cast, except for maybe the detective.

I did like Heavy Rain a decent amount, but it's hard to get emotionally attached when NAHMAHJAYDENFBI comes onto the scene and tells you about how he visited your AFFICE this morning.

daveo42

Banned
Finished this up last night finally after picking it up a few week ago. Ended up playing from the Condenser chapter to the end in one sitting and it was, for the most part, really good.

I felt there were a lot of really good moments throughout the game, but in the end didn't really care all that much for the majority of the characters in the game with a few exceptions. The Jodie-Aiden relationship was good, along with Cole, but I felt mostly disconnected with the rest of the cast. I suppose Ryan was an exception too, but
I felt like I could never trust him after the entire CIA incident.
It may have been either the narrative or how I played the majority of the game in one sitting, but during their individual arcs, I became attached, then felt next to nothing at the end.

I have all of the endings associated with the game
both the beyond and all of the life choices
and still feel this way.
I do hope that they'd consider a sequel based on how the game ended, and think that maybe the true ending is with Zoey, as Jodie becomes the mentor and they both confront the coming storm. You could also side with the Beyond ending here too I suppose. Probably won't happen though.

As for the mechanics, I fought with the game way too often when trying to just navigate the world. The mostly fixed camera angle and the dual use of the right stick didn't help matters either. It could just be me as well, but there were times where I had no clue which way to push the stick during combat and those moments were crapshoots with a 50/50 chance of succeeding.

Did have some glitches here and there too, which I was hoping we wouldn't have here, but there were some really bad ones with disconnected sound (mostly the cartoons) and points where I thought the game almost broke when character movement didn't happen and item movement did. Outside of these, the game looked fantastic and the character models were insane in terms of detail. Still got that thousand-yard stare and the occasional uncanny valley here and there.

Overall, the game was great, and the story was equally so with less of the plot hole silliness of Heavy Rain, but it didn't feel nearly as suspenseful outside of a few moments. The Jodie-Aiden relationship was the best part of the entire story, with most of the other events taking a back seat. Still worth a play in my book.

Top Bottom