• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

thomaser

14577917071_35f1246c74_z.jpg

Went up my local mountain on a road I haven't used before. Best road yet! Nice gravel all the way, hairy inclines, and quite long compared to the other roads up there. I was all alone there too, except for some cows and insects. Tried to hang the bike from the signpost, but it was so rickety that the whole thing would have fallen down. So the bike got to rest on the bench instead. There are trails going from this place to the various tops, but they're very craggy. The bike must be carried on the way up, but they should be rideable down again.

Ixion

Greetings,

I'd like to throw on some summer jams when biking, but I don't want to wear headphones. Is it common for some cyclists to throw a small speaker onto the handlebars or something? Anything you can recommend?

I just bought a mountain bike the other day, so I'll be riding mostly dedicated trails, and occasionally the quiet burbs.

I'm guessing I should just get a phone mount, and then I could just play music from my phone? Something like this?

14577917071_35f1246c74_z.jpg

Went up my local mountain on a road I haven't used before. Best road yet! Nice gravel all the way, hairy inclines, and quite long compared to the other roads up there. I was all alone there too, except for some cows and insects. Tried to hang the bike from the signpost, but it was so rickety that the whole thing would have fallen down. So the bike got to rest on the bench instead. There are trails going from this place to the various tops, but they're very craggy. The bike must be carried on the way up, but they should be rideable down again.

Beautiful photo!

Mascot

Not happy.

Was about to head out on the bike early yesterday morning but delayed it to trim a bush in the front garden, and somehow managed to totally knacker my back. I must have been crouched over at a funny angle, or something. Anyway, I'm currently off work, doped up on anti-inflammatories, delirious through lack of sleep, barely able to move and hurting like a moer-foing bastard. Bah!

Moral of the story: fuck gardening, throwing yourself off a cliff on a mountain bike is far, far safer.

kottila

Not happy.

Was about to head out on the bike early yesterday morning but delayed it to trim a bush in the front garden, and somehow managed to totally knacker my back. I must have been crouched over at a funny angle, or something. Anyway, I'm currently off work, doped up on anti-inflammatories, delirious through lack of sleep, barely able to move and hurting like a moer-foing bastard. Bah!

Moral of the story: fuck gardening, throwing yourself off a cliff on a mountain bike is far, far safer.

I've done many hours of running and cycling with no injuries over the last months, but the other day I managed to strain a muscle in my back while sleeping. The worst afternoon I spent a couple hours just laying down trying to find a position where I could breath without pain.

kottila

Greetings,

I'd like to throw on some summer jams when biking, but I don't want to wear headphones. Is it common for some cyclists to throw a small speaker onto the handlebars or something? Anything you can recommend?

I just bought a mountain bike the other day, so I'll be riding mostly dedicated trails, and occasionally the quiet burbs.

I'm guessing I should just get a phone mount, and then I could just play music from my phone? Something like this?

I've never seen anyone ride around with speakers on their bike. I'm not a big fan of people playing loud music in public either. I use headphones when I ride, but only to listen to podcasts, which dosen't drown out the ambient sounds like music does and I turn it off using the inline remote when I'm in traffic or around alot of people.

Greetings,

I use this for those times when I absolutley cannot use headphones:

buckshot_bike.jpg

It's fairly loud and the battery on it is amazing. I'm more worried about my ipod losing it's charge than I am on the speaker.

Took the mtn bike out camping last week and managed to not kill myself on the trails (actual hiking trails) and it was fun. Took some pics but didn't get a chance to upload them yet.

pj

Banned
cqoCl7U.jpg

M'lady and I biked from fort greene brooklyn down to coney island and then back up on the brooklyn waterfront greenway. About 24 miles total. Pretty flat and easy most of the time except a few horrendous hills toward the end.

Mascot

cqoCl7U.jpg

M'lady and I biked from fort greene brooklyn down to coney island and then back up on the brooklyn waterfront greenway. About 24 miles total. Pretty flat and easy most of the time except a few horrendous hills toward the end.
Beautiful! Great photo too.

Ixion

I've never seen anyone ride around with speakers on their bike. I'm not a big fan of people playing loud music in public either.

I wouldn't play it loud though. In fact, the reason I can't wear headphones is because I have hyperacusis (pain from loud noise), and headphones aggravate the condition.

I use this for those times when I absolutley cannot use headphones:

buckshot_bike.jpg

It's fairly loud and the battery on it is amazing. I'm more worried about my ipod losing it's charge than I am on the speaker.

Thanks for the recommendation. I probably won't play it too loud, but if the sound quality is better than playing music straight from an iPhone, then I'll probably get this.

Soodanim

Okay, I'm not in a position where I want spend money on a proper bike and I don't fancy shopping round for a 2nd hand one, so I'm thinking about getting a cheap one. It's only for casual riding, maybe some slightly long distances. What am I risking by getting a cheap one? And are there any things (brands or anything else) that I should absolutely avoid?

The STP is this week and the weather is looking either really good or really horrible for it. I burn easily so I'm leaning towards the really horrible at this point in time. :(

thomaser

Okay, I'm not in a position where I want spend money on a proper bike and I don't fancy shopping round for a 2nd hand one, so I'm thinking about getting a cheap one. It's only for casual riding, maybe some slightly long distances. What am I risking by getting a cheap one? And are there any things (brands or anything else) that I should absolutely avoid?

It's going to be heavier than the costlier ones, which makes it harder and less enjoyable to ride. The parts will be of lesser quality: gears won't shift as easily, brakes won't brake as well, and things won't last as long as on a better bike before they need to be replaced. By choosing a cheaper bike, you trade away certain degrees of function and reliability. Same as with cars and other costly things.

But you can still enjoy the heck out of a cheap bike, of course. My racer costs 2,5x as much as my mtb, but that doesn't mean that the mtb isn't a blast to use when I take it to a mountain or a forest. The racer is much more fun to use on tarmac, though ;-) My point, I think, is that if you're just going to ride casually and not for training or frequent long trips, you probably only need a cheap bike despite the drawbacks it brings.

I have no advice to give on brands and so on, though. The selection can be very different depending on where you live.

I have no experience with riding gloves so take this as you want. The padding on the palm is distributed equally across the palm of the hand. There are stiched segments but these only seem to be there for looks. The padding itself feels very comfy without feeling too thick. The pinky side of the gloves want to ride up my hands when I stretch my fingers but it fits fine when gripping the handlebar.

In the end I'm quite pleased with these gloves. No nonsense and functional. I'd just go there and try out some different sizes. For the prize you can't go wrong.

Pinkuss

Thinking of getting this tomorrow (and persuading my mum not to leave the house whilst I get it delivered to hers).

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b67s2p4681/CUBE-REACTION-GTC-PRO-2013

Opinions? Upgrading from my Cube LTD (normal model) which is from 2012 and rode like a dream until I hit winter and now it's crumbling. (My LTD will be staying my go to work when it's raining/snowing etc bike... with a light service so the gears aren't as screwed and this will be my bike I do 30 - 60 miles recreationally on).

So, went to our local mountain (25m high covered landfill) to do some climbing. I've ridden a 90's mtb for years but practically have no offroad experience (or stamina). The hill is meant for hikers but the winding paths to the top are quite enough to challenge a novice MTBer. Damn, was my heart racing after I reaching the top. Got some photo's of the monument on top and the great flat Dutch landscape.
The descent on the other side of the hill was kinda hairy as the rainwater had carved some nice 20cm deep gullies through the path. Made it down in one piece though. After a few more ascents and descents I decided to call it a day. I really need to get more fit:p

thomaser

Planned a long ride on Sunday, but I tweaked my lower back today doing deadlifts. And I'm going to London on Monday for a few days of amusement (Monty Python!) and food, which means lots and lots of walking. Should I still do the ride, or is it best to wait it out?

thomaser

Meant to use the road bike this time, on fairly smooth roads. I'll take it easy until Saturday, and do a short test ride then to see how it feels. If it hurts at all, I'll skip the whole thing until next weekend.

Since my wife and I have expensive road bikes as our only bikes right now, we are looking for a tandem on craigslist for our Saturday Market/getting drunk at friends house bicycle. The latter probably isn't the best idea, but we know our local bike paths very well and would only hurt ourselves in the unexpected bike accident. We both are good bike handlers, so, hopefully, we ride off into any creeks on the way home from friends' houses. She really wants to be the captain of the bike and I trust her completely to keep us safe, so I'll end up doing the majority of the pedaling (which isn't bad since I've put on some pounds since moving to Wyoming).

We're searching for something from the 50's-70's that has more laid back geometry like this:

1962-tandem.jpg

This will not only be a cheaper bike, but it will, more importantly, keep our speed down so we don't die on some foolhardy ride home after too many homebrews.

Back when I lived in Oregon, I rode a friend's Co-motion tandem with him (I was the stoker) and we scared the living fuck out of myself. One should not be able to go that fast on a bike (over 50 MPH according to the computer). The speed coupled with the cost keep us from wanting one of those beautiful bikes.

Mascot

Day six of knackered back and... I'm... slowly... going... INSANE.

Must have put on half a stone this week as well. No exercise and comfort-eating chips, ice cream and chocolate. I don't normally touch any of that stuff.

Fucking spines.

Watevaman

Remember how I asked a few weeks/months ago about if my sprockets should have the amount of wear they do? Well, I haven't ridden much this summer but I'm wanting to hit up some trails soon and want some confirmation if my teeth should look like this or if I'm gonna be screwed soon. I'll quote the full size pics from my phone but tell me if it's too much and I'll link them instead:

see how a few are what I call sharkfinning? and there's also a lot of rounding, not sure if they should be like that. I'd rather have you guys give me some advice rather than end up having to fork out dough that I don't have.

Jobiensis

Didn't see your previous post, but chain rings should last a really long time. Those look more like some sort of shift ramps to me.

Cassettes are what will typically start to shark fin if you don't replace your chain soon enough. And when they do shark fin, it usually doesn't cause any problems until you replace the chain (then it is skip city).

I wouldn't worry about it unless it is causing you problems.

Laekon

Remember how I asked a few weeks/months ago about if my sprockets should have the amount of wear they do? Well, I haven't ridden much this summer but I'm wanting to hit up some trails soon and want some confirmation if my teeth should look like this or if I'm gonna be screwed soon. I'll quote the full size pics from my phone but tell me if it's too much and I'll link them instead:

see how a few are what I call sharkfinning? and there's also a lot of rounding, not sure if they should be like that. I'd rather have you guys give me some advice rather than end up having to fork out dough that I don't have.

Your chain rings are fine.

WedgeX

Banned
Welp. My chain snapped tonight. Explains the clicking/slipping that had been happening recently. I think. Will post the pictures when I get some non-phone internets back.

I'm pretty sure some teeth are "sharkfin" from the factory. It probably has to do with grabbing the chain when changing gears.

How many miles has that drivetrain gone? Have you changed any components of it yet? When the rings finally do need changing, its best to change the whole drive train at once as all those components are now "married" to each other after so many miles and if you change just the crankset rings you'll find it'll have a nasty feel to it and make cause weird shifting issues.

muu

Any of you riding STP tomorrow?

What with new baby and work schedules and such the longest ride I've been able to get has been a 60 miler. Hope the tailwind forecasted comes as stated as otherwise it's going to be a loong day.

Mascot

I thought I answered at the time but maybe not. Looks pretty normal. The teeth are profiled that way to aid shifting.

Top Bottom