• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Watevaman

I thought I answered at the time but maybe not. Looks pretty normal. The teeth are profiled that way to aid shifting.

You (or someone) did answer and posted some vids, but I couldn't really tell from the vids and honestly didn't know what I was looking for in the first place.

I was just concerned because the few teeth didn't seem consistent or anything and I thought it looked more like a break than something from factory.

Since my wife and I have expensive road bikes as our only bikes right now, we are looking for a tandem on craigslist for our Saturday Market/getting drunk at friends house bicycle. The latter probably isn't the best idea, but we know our local bike paths very well and would only hurt ourselves in the unexpected bike accident. We both are good bike handlers, so, hopefully, we ride off into any creeks on the way home from friends' houses. She really wants to be the captain of the bike and I trust her completely to keep us safe, so I'll end up doing the majority of the pedaling (which isn't bad since I've put on some pounds since moving to Wyoming).

We're searching for something from the 50's-70's that has more laid back geometry like this:

1962-tandem.jpg

This will not only be a cheaper bike, but it will, more importantly, keep our speed down so we don't die on some foolhardy ride home after too many homebrews.

Back when I lived in Oregon, I rode a friend's Co-motion tandem with him (I was the stoker) and we scared the living fuck out of myself. One should not be able to go that fast on a bike (over 50 MPH according to the computer). The speed coupled with the cost keep us from wanting one of those beautiful bikes.

This is awesome - keep us posted on how you get on!

Hi bike GAF! I've been lurking for a bit, admiring your wheels (ooh-er!). Mine isn't terribly interesting - just a Fuji hybrid for commuting - but maybe I'll take him out later today and take a couple of pics. I got him serviced earlier this week.

My other half has a pretty Dawes Clubman, but it would just get stolen outside my office. I've seen a couple of guys attacking a bike lock in broad daylight at lunchtime. The bystander effect is strong - most people just glanced over and kept walking.

I lock mine up with a Kryptonite D-lock and cable, and so far so not-stolen. So many folks use nothing but a little thin cable with a wee combination lock - a thief can snip right through that in moments. :-(

Got a bikestand from Rose. I just couldn't let my pride and joy just lean in the corner of the shed. I chose this design as it is easy to roll the bike into. Front or rear wheel, it doesn't matter. Also, I can easily put it outside as a stand for cleaning the bike. It even came carrybag to take it with you in the car.

Just a gentle pootle along the Bristol/Bath railway path today. I'm running an off-road 10k tomorrow morning, so taking it easy.

Some leanage. Pretend there's a front mudguard on there. The person who serviced it did a lovely job (such a smooth ride!) but they apparently forgot to re-attach the guard properly and it fell off after 500 metres.

The cycle path runs along the route of an old railway line, and one station is still there, served by a little bit of track beside the path.

A flower. It was a nice flower.

No hangage today. Maybe next time.

Mascot

Just a gentle pootle along the Bristol/Bath railway path today. I'm running an off-road 10k tomorrow morning, so taking it easy.

Some leanage. Pretend there's a front mudguard on there. The person who serviced it did a lovely job (such a smooth ride!) but they apparently forgot to re-attach the guard properly and it fell off after 500 metres.

The cycle path runs along the route of an old railway line, and one station is still there, served by a little bit of track beside the path.

A flower. It was a nice flower.

No hangage today. Maybe next time.

Ah, we are practically neighbours, separated by the majestic Severn Estuary.
Leanage noted. Future hangage awaited with baited breath.

dubc35

Any of you riding STP tomorrow?

What with new baby and work schedules and such the longest ride I've been able to get has been a 60 miler. Hope the tailwind forecasted comes as stated as otherwise it's going to be a loong day.

Good luck! Damn hot weekend for it.

andylsun

Now you've done it. I grew up near the cycle path and road to Bath lots as a kid. It was packed gravel then, but was a awesome ride. Heading back into Bristol through the tunnels was great fun.

Is that the steam railway at Keynsham?

If you have more pics online could you PM me a link?

I'm spending a couple of weeks in China so haven't been able to ride my Pilot, looking forward to getting back on it.

Lots of bikes over here where every component is exactly the same colour, they are really cool. Not very expensive but no chance of getting one home in my suitcase. Will see if I can get a pic without offending the locals.

andylsun

Ah, we are practically neighbours, separated by the majestic Severn Estuary.
Leanage noted. Future hangage awaited with baited breath.

When I grew up in Bristol, I used to cycle across the old severn bridge to chepstow and back in a day. Wonderful ride but hilly.

I consider the new severn bridge a young upstart and not a proper way to cross the estuary, plus it doesn't close when the wind is strong...

Can you still cycle across the old bridge? That should have some great leanage opportunities. I remember nearly being bounced off my bike when a heavy lorry went past, as the cycle path would bounce up and down.

Mascot

When I grew up in Bristol, I used to cycle across the old severn bridge to chepstow and back in a day. Wonderful ride but hilly.

I consider the new severn bridge a young upstart and not a proper way to cross the estuary, plus it doesn't close when the wind is strong...

Can you still cycle across the old bridge? That should have some great leanage opportunities. I remember nearly being bounced off my bike when a heavy lorry went past, as the cycle path would bounce up and down.

You can indeed still cycle across the old bridge and it's quite an experience. You enter some strange environmental magnetic anomaly like a mini Bermuda Triangle where you are always cycling uphill and always into the wind, no matter what part of the bridge you are on and in which direction you are going. Actually, it's more like an Escherian stairwell in bridge form. It really fucks with your mind (and lungs). They say the old ferryman cursed it when it was built and I strongly believe that.

I'm not even sure you can cycle across the new bridge, but it does provide some nice photo opps. I prefer the character of the old bridge as well but it's nice not having to divert 80 miles up through Gloucester any more when the old bridge closes in the wind...!

VyWC7on5RYnhe7kHp71qQ6FnBHsFSk-0cmb4-rO5fSY=w457-h609-no

thomaser

My back felt fine, so I rode 115 kms today. Wow, what a weather we have right now. It's the west coast of Norway, dammit, we're supposed to have rain and wind all the time, not perfect blue skies and a scorching sun. Have to move even further north to escape this nonsense.

muu

Good luck! Damn hot weekend for it.

Yeah, we were baking during the middle of the day. I was sweating like no ones business, easily killing two bottles in like an hour and a half. Didn't really practice for it so I ran out of juice at 100, and basically coasted the rest of the way with whatever tailwind was there. Overall I survived, but if I was gonna do it again I would either practice more or do a brevet that costs $5 instead of $120.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Any of you riding STP tomorrow?

What with new baby and work schedules and such the longest ride I've been able to get has been a 60 miler. Hope the tailwind forecasted comes as stated as otherwise it's going to be a loong day.

Nope but if it reduces the amount of three abreast Lance Armstrong apologists on the Burke Gilman today, it will be doing God's work.

Is that the steam railway at Keynsham?

If you have more pics online could you PM me a link?

I'm spending a couple of weeks in China so haven't been able to ride my Pilot, looking forward to getting back on it.

Lots of bikes over here where every component is exactly the same colour, they are really cool. Not very expensive but no chance of getting one home in my suitcase. Will see if I can get a pic without offending the locals.

Yes, that's the one!

I don't have any more pics at the moment - I'll have to take my camera next time I'm along there and try to get some better ones. Fingerprints all over the phone camera lens! Won't be for a couple of days though - that 10k off-road run today was an absolute killer. I did it in 2012 and swore I'd never do it again. Now I remember why! I'll be having nightmares about those hills.

I'd love to see some photos of the bikes in China, if possible. Sounds interesting!

I've heard about the wind on the old Severn bridge. I could well believe it's cursed.

andylsun

This isn't the bike I was talking about earlier, but this self-leanage was taken in Bao Lin Si, Shunde, in the park next to the temple.

Some have a extra set of footrests right below the handlebars for when you are carrying a small child as well as an adult in the front seat.

zzRSHFYl.jpg

Nope but if it reduces the amount of three abreast Lance Armstrong apologists on the Burke Gilman today, it will be doing God's work.

There are such things as Lance Armstrong apologists? Wow, how do they even get out of bed in the morning they must be so conflicted.

Piecake

Well, I bought myself an Escape 1 and I should be getting it in about 2 weeks. One issue though is that I thought I was ordering a 2015 Escape 1, but I just looked at my receipt and it says a 2013 Escape 1. My natural inclination is to call back tomorrow and see if I can change it since 2015 = newer = better, but does anyone know if that is actually the case? Or is it just the same bike with a different paint job?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bike-compare/

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/escape.1/11500/55830/

Hopefully that will take you to the comparison page. There seems to be some slight differences, but I really don't know which is better or worse.

This isn't the bike I was talking about earlier, but this self-leanage was taken in Bao Lin Si, Shunde, in the park next to the temple.

Some have a extra set of footrests right below the handlebars for when you are carrying a small child as well as an adult in the front seat.

zzRSHFYl.jpg

Screw the old 50's tandem, now I want one of those. Damn you BikeGAF!!!!

You can fit two growlers in the front basket for goodness sake!

kottila

Well, I bought myself an Escape 1 and I should be getting it in about 2 weeks. One issue though is that I thought I was ordering a 2015 Escape 1, but I just looked at my receipt and it says a 2013 Escape 1. My natural inclination is to call back tomorrow and see if I can change it since 2015 = newer = better, but does anyone know if that is actually the case? Or is it just the same bike with a different paint job?

Hopefully that will take you to the comparison page. There seems to be some slight differences, but I really don't know which is better or worse.

You didn't get a discount for buying a two year old model?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Hey guys, I just found out about these and haven't seen any discussion here. http://www.prioritybicycles.com/

This seems like an incredible investment in 2015 as my first legit "decent" bike. I really love the ideas behind it and what they're going for. Now, I may cycle every day but I'm obviously small-time compared to some of you folks and I'd just love to know your opinions or if any of you kickstarted and are anticipating the first-run product.

Feature set:
Chain-free - Priority Bicycles do away with messy chains that ruin clothes and feature clean belt drives that’ll make your ride smooth. In 1984 Harley Davidson replaced their chains with belt drives, too. Why? Chains require lubrication, they rust, and are susceptible to the weather. Belt drives are more durable, more quiet, and cleaner.
Lightweight Aluminum Frame - Unlike conventional steel frames, Priority is made from strong, lightweight aluminum to make it easy to carry the bike up and down stairs. The aluminum is also rust-proof, making Priority perfect if you live near the beach or somewhere with rain or snow.
Super Comfy Saddle - Riding should be enjoyable, so your seat should never make you feel sore. Our saddle has two layers of foam to make sure you're always comfortable.
Upright Seating Position – Sore backs can be a byproduct of biking, but not with Priority. Our bikes are designed for upright seating to ensure you feel as good after the ride as you did before.
Theft Deterrent - We know you’ll fall in love with Priority, and we want to do anything we can to keep our bikes with their proud owners. By using bolts instead of quick releases, Priority makes it more difficult for thieves to disassemble parts. You'll still have to lock up your bike, but bolts are a precaution Priority has taken to make theft more difficult.
Puncture Resistant Tires - It’s the little details that make riding Priority easy. We're not saying you'll never get a flat, but those thorns and glass have to work a lot harder to ruin your ride.
Easy to Assemble - Once your bike arrives, nothing stands between you and the open roads except a simple four-step, five minute assembly process that requires no previous technical bike knowledge.
Everything You Need - Priority Bicycles are designed to get you on the road quickly and easily. When you purchase a bike, everything you need is included, from a tire pump and assembly tools, to a kickstand to a water bottle cage.

Soodanim

Can you not get normal bikes anymore? Not specifically a road, hybrid, or mountain bike, just a bike for riding round in.

Hey guys, I just found out about these and haven't seen any discussion here. http://www.prioritybicycles.com/

This seems like an incredible investment in 2015 as my first legit "decent" bike. I really love the ideas behind it and what they're going for. Now, I may cycle every day but I'm obviously small-time compared to some of you folks and I'd just love to know your opinions or if any of you kickstarted and are anticipating the first-run product.

Feature set:
Chain-free - Priority Bicycles do away with messy chains that ruin clothes and feature clean belt drives that’ll make your ride smooth. In 1984 Harley Davidson replaced their chains with belt drives, too. Why? Chains require lubrication, they rust, and are susceptible to the weather. Belt drives are more durable, more quiet, and cleaner.
Lightweight Aluminum Frame - Unlike conventional steel frames, Priority is made from strong, lightweight aluminum to make it easy to carry the bike up and down stairs. The aluminum is also rust-proof, making Priority perfect if you live near the beach or somewhere with rain or snow.
Super Comfy Saddle - Riding should be enjoyable, so your seat should never make you feel sore. Our saddle has two layers of foam to make sure you're always comfortable.
Upright Seating Position – Sore backs can be a byproduct of biking, but not with Priority. Our bikes are designed for upright seating to ensure you feel as good after the ride as you did before.
Theft Deterrent - We know you’ll fall in love with Priority, and we want to do anything we can to keep our bikes with their proud owners. By using bolts instead of quick releases, Priority makes it more difficult for thieves to disassemble parts. You'll still have to lock up your bike, but bolts are a precaution Priority has taken to make theft more difficult.
Puncture Resistant Tires - It’s the little details that make riding Priority easy. We're not saying you'll never get a flat, but those thorns and glass have to work a lot harder to ruin your ride.
Easy to Assemble - Once your bike arrives, nothing stands between you and the open roads except a simple four-step, five minute assembly process that requires no previous technical bike knowledge.
Everything You Need - Priority Bicycles are designed to get you on the road quickly and easily. When you purchase a bike, everything you need is included, from a tire pump and assembly tools, to a kickstand to a water bottle cage.

Looking very nice. And not too expensive. It does look alot like a typical stripped down Dutch bike with some spiffy paint on is. 15 euro and the junk at the train station will sell you one. Though you'll be hard pressed to find an aluminium version.;)

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Looking very nice. And not too expensive. It does look alot like a typical stripped down Dutch bike with some spiffy paint on is. 15 euro and the junk at the train station will sell you one. Though you'll be hard pressed to find an aluminium version.;)
Like I said, I'm pretty casual but the idea of a chainless bike really excited me. I was all calling my kids into the room to check it out and stuff. I'd never heard of such a thing!

This seems like something I'll definitely get on when they're publicly available.

Just kidding.;) At least it looks quite different from the big clunky matt black cargo bikes that are the hype over here. It's quite elegant. The thing is, I see two different frames across the site for the male version. One with a more horizontal top tube and one with a sloped top tube (less so then the female version). I wonder, will there be multiple frame options besides the two that are already there? Or is the design not finalised yet?

Piecake

Welp! Nevermind. I just called them up and they are ordering me the newest model, they simply did not have that new model code put into the system yet so it popped out as 2013.

What an exhausting weekend. Got a phone call at 11:11 Friday night that my dad passed away. I was at the hotel prior to the STP start and couldn't get airplane tickets that quickly so I did the ride in my dad's memory. Took me a little over 14 hours total (12:17 ride time, lots of food and water stops, mostly water stops as it was 90+ most of the day) but I felt good at the end.

Let's talk about "The Hill". Mostly, let's point and laugh at "The Hill". I mean, I kept hearing about it and thought it was some big thing to get through. I looked at it's elevation profile and thought to myself that it looked easier than the hill I have to get up to go home every day but thought that maybe it was harder in person. I get to the bottom, shove over into Granny mode so I can do it without tiring myself out too much, and push slowly. I get to the top and thought to myself, this is the false top that I heard about, so there's more climbing to come. Nope. That was it. wtf. So then I had to get back up to speed and pass everyone again.*

Ended up accidentally leading a paceline on this one part that was a MUP. It was flat and I couldn't find a group doing a decent speed so I pulled out and just took off. Passed a lot of people and I looked in my mirror at one point and there was about 5-6 guys in matching jerseys trailing me. Kept a good 25+ pace going for almost the entire 11-mile section.

There's nothing like being in the middle of a bunch of bikes**. The sound of the tires on the pavement, shifting here and there, quiet exertion. It was quite nice.

Funniest story: There was this point where a truck was coming up from behind and it sounded like a kid was yelling at the racers. I can't approximate it well but it was kinda "aaaaah!" like someone was trying to scare people. I could see the truck in my mirror so I was waiting for it to get next to me so I could yell back. Well no one yelled at me (yay) but as soon as it passed me I just burst out laughing. There was a kid yelling at the racers, but not the kind I thought. It was a little goat being transported in a cage and it was just yelling it's head off to anyone and everyone who would listen, kind of like that goats who yell like people video.

As for my dad, while I was recovering on Sunday I bought some airplane tickets to go to the funeral on Monday. He's retired USMC so they had some guys there to give him a sendoff and then they played taps. Haven't cried that hard in a long, long time.

*I was passing so many people. There's a guy out there with a GoPro of the entire race and my butt is on there at least 15 times after me saying, "On your left."
**I know what it's called but I'm not going to use it.

kottila

Sorry for your loss man. 200miles seems so boring, not sure how people manage to get througj it, especially if its relatively flat. My first pathetic hanging bike pic (it's 15% there, but of course that's impossible to see on the picture)
6sBCkeDl.jpg

The back wheel is above the ground...

Thanks. Speaking of pictures, I completely forgot to take any pictures on the ride. Shit, I even promised one at the start and end. bah.

And it was only boring for the last 35 miles. At that point it just became rolling hills and I was close to bonking as I didn't eat enough fruit at the last stop. I ended up playing the alphabet game forwards and backwards.

You know, those rules are insane. We just play to find the letters but you can only use one sign per letter. So Bros. Alpha Chocolates in only good for A, B, or C, not all three.

Laekon

The 2013 has slightly better shifters but besides color there is no real difference. Bikes like the Escape rarely change and year to year only get better or worse parts depending on exchange rates.

Mascot

UK-CycleGAF: cheap-ass basic Camelbak from Amazon. £17-odd delivered.
8% Quidco, too.

linky

Edit: forgot to say - went for a ride today, first one in three weeks due to a knackered back.
Came through OK!

A tunnel.

roRMX4v5ogOG1c3G7lhn1NWy-yPX33rm7o1h_pNvIdw=w457-h609-no

Finally got it uploaded. The drive side did not appreciate the rocks but there it is. It's roughly 6-7 feet off the ground.

(clickable for bigger)

Also not my bike, just the one I borrowed for that weekend.

Jasup

What to do when you're on vacation, it's been too hot (or rainy) during the day and you want to escape indoors?

- DRUNKEN MIDNIGHT BIKE RIDE!
- Wait, what?
- Yes, the best way to cool off and cool down.

Slow speed, empty streets and a bottle of wine. Riding through the northern suburbs of Oulu on cycle paths is a great experience. No one's around:
Thanks for the warning:
Sunset at the old harbour. There won't be a night though, only a bit of twilight:
The time's 23:30:
Shameless drunken midnight cycling selfie:
Where are all the people?
Poor attempt at hangage picture

edit: ok, not that drunk. I didn't finish the bottle until I made this post.
It was an easy 20km ride, listening to ambient house and just chilling down. Really nice.

edit II: I really want a proper cargo bike. I have no need for one but I want one just because. I might settle with cargo Poni for the time being, just to ease my shopping trips, although I've managed so far with a backpack.
poni_cargo_orangefeejf.jpg

Mascot

Wow..! That's cool. Like, 28 Days Later cool.
Must have felt like a ghost town.
How far north are you?

(Very nice pylon hangage, by the way. I've tried and failed. Can't get past the anti-climb razor wire)

Jasup

Wow..! That's cool. Like, 28 Days Later cool.
Must have felt like a ghost town.
How far north are you?

(Very nice pylon hangage, by the way. I've tried and failed. Can't get past the anti-climb razor wire)

Oulu is 65° North, about 250km south from the Arcric Circle. This means the sun goes up and down very gradually, a month after the summer solstice the "nights" are still just 4 hours of twilight (and sunsets/sunrises last quite a long time).

I did see people, quite a few of them were on a stroll in the old harbour and the city's main park (drinking). But I mostly avoided the crowded places. It was fun.

And anti-climb razor wire?
We don't have that here.

Mascot

And anti-climb razor wire?
We don't have that here.

You will once Bicycle Hangaging takes the world by storm...

I was gonna hook my bike to this level crossing barrier so when the train had gone and the barrier lifted it would hoist my bike into the air for some Collosal Uber-Hangage, but then I remembered I'd:
1. probably get arrested
2. have to wait for another train before getting my bike back

Managed to catch the train zipping by using HDR which caused a wierd double-image ghost train effect.

ggbS6sDejEEwLPQ53XkVlmn72rSKaaHY9kJ58bsMfpY=w1128-h846-no

I'm easily entertained.

Toxi

Banned
Finished first day of Courage Classic. Did only the 40 mile. Probably wouldn't have survived the 80 with Vail Pass; it's bad enough going up Vail twice for the 40z

You serious cyclists are crazy athletic.

Watevaman

Went back to Fountainhead yesterday and did their medium difficulty stuff. Felt like my bike was gonna fall apart there were so many roots. I also was taking it pretty slow since I'm out of shape and it's got a lot of hills (fun to go down, bitch to climb). Stopped a few times for some leanage, but didn't get any hangage because I didn't want to risk some dude flying around a blind corner and getting conked by a hanging bike.

wp_20140718_14_01_41_pro_by_watevaman-d7reejb.jpg

wp_20140718_14_14_48_pro_by_watevaman-d7reej1.jpg

wp_20140718_14_39_59_pro_by_watevaman-d7reeji.jpg

Piecake

I picked up my Giant Escape 1 today, and I am definitely liking it. I took it out for a little spin and soon realized my quads and hamstrings definitely need some work (starting lifting last week so they might be pretty spent as well). I also didnt shift at all considering that I wasnt totally sure which did what (been a long time since I rode bike).

My only real issue was attaching the bike lock holder. Holy hell, that was annoying. It BARELY fits it the only location it can thanks to my water bottle holder, and I am riding an XL frame as well. Kryptonite really needs to redisgn that...

My plan is to take it on little rides through my neighborhood during the week and try to get in one nice, long bike ride on the weekend.

Mascot

It's been back since 2 weeks ago :p

in the last episode they had a short race between their roadie (on a MTB) and a mountain biker (on a RB) on a dirt trail:

Damn, didn't realise it was back. Can hopefully catch up on ITV Player.

Went back to Fountainhead yesterday and did their medium difficulty stuff. Felt like my bike was gonna fall apart there were so many roots. I also was taking it pretty slow since I'm out of shape and it's got a lot of hills (fun to go down, bitch to climb). Stopped a few times for some leanage, but didn't get any hangage because I didn't want to risk some dude flying around a blind corner and getting conked by a hanging bike.

Looks lovely!

thomaser

14696569501_09af381731_z.jpg

Beautiful day today. I am sick and only slept two hours tonight, but we were a group of five who had planned this ride and I didn't want to miss it. 90 kms early in the day. Collapsed into my bed when I came home and slept for two hours. Sorry for the non-eventful photo, but that valley is gorgeous to ride in let me tell you.

kottila

250km in two days and over 4000m elevation. Completely exhausted and my knee hurts like hell. (Sorry that the iphone camera is really not sufficient for capturing beautiful scenery)
YzWG6Sol.jpg

E9dWZEXl.jpg

Top Bottom