• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

waypoetic

Banned
My brand new commuter/bar bike/grocery shopping bike:

10622698_10152263559682016_2886106603202708617_n.jpg

thomaser

Back from my second mtb-race! Very fun with lots of hard climbs. Pretty easy technically, much easier than the first race I was in, but this one was still harder due mostly to the very long initial climb, which was around 7 kms long, not 4 as I thought beforehand. I ended 33rd of 38 starters, 40 minutes behind the winner (41 kilometers). Really pleased with that.

Anyway, some pics from the race (I'm not in any of them...)

Only low point of the day came afterwards, when I went to a mall and parked in their garage. There was a metal beam hanging down from the roof that I didn't see, so it slammed the bike out of the roof stand so it fell sideways and the pedal made several bumps and scratches on the car roof. Don't know if insurance will cover any of it - they don't answer the phone. At least the bike looks undamaged.

Mascot

Back from my second mtb-race! Very fun with lots of hard climbs. Pretty easy technically, much easier than the first race I was in, but this one was still harder due mostly to the very long initial climb, which was around 7 kms long, not 4 as I thought beforehand. I ended 33rd of 38 starters, 40 minutes behind the winner (41 kilometers). Really pleased with that.

Anyway, some pics from the race (I'm not in any of them...)

Only low point of the day came afterwards, when I went to a mall and parked in their garage. There was a metal beam hanging down from the roof that I didn't see, so it slammed the bike out of the roof stand so it fell sideways and the pedal made several bumps and scratches on the car roof. Don't know if insurance will cover any of it - they don't answer the phone. At least the bike looks undamaged.

Sounds like a fun day. Shame about the car/beam/bike thing though..!

robox

which begs the questions: why roof racks? why choose roof racks over hitch racks?
they seem like a bigger hassle, to put a bike into and to take into account while driving.

as for me, i get cars that can swallow a bike inside and have all doors shut properly

Mascot

which begs the questions: why roof racks? why choose roof racks over hitch racks?
they seem like a bigger hassle, to put a bike into and to take into account while driving.

as for me, i get cars that can swallow a bike inside and have all doors shut properly

Yeah, I was amazed to find that I can easily get a couple of bikes in through the boot (with front wheels removed) of my 335d coupe once the seats are folded down.

Note: front wheels of the bikes, not of the car.

What's a hitch rack?

If you're talking about the sort that rest on the boot (trunk) / hatchback, I've lost count of the amount of cars I've seen damaged by them.

If you're talking about the sort that mount onto a towbar... most cars don't have them. At least in Europe anyway.

I've got a high end roof rack (which takes literally 15 seconds to get a bike locked into), because fuck messing around with putting wheels back on when I get to the trails. Plus someone always ends up pressing the brake lever when the wheel is out, which I appreciate isn't an issue for road bikes (most of them), but is a pain in the arse for bikes with disc brakes. But then I wont drive anywhere near any sort of height restriction, and I certainly wouldn't ever go into a multi storey car park with bikes on the roof.

thomaser

I have a small Ford Fiesta without a tow hitch, so a roof rack was the only option. The bike can fit in the trunk if I remove the wheel, fold down the back seats and take the passenger's seat all the way forward. But it's cumbersome and dirties up the whole car. The roof rack is real simple and fast to use, so it's a great solution for people who are less absent-minded.

Examined the bike today (didn't do it yesterday), and it's damaged too. The seat has a tear, and the front derailleur is bent all out of shape. I think that's all, shouldn't be too expensive. The car will probably cost a whole lot to fix, though.

I've actually considered buying a transit van but they lack the seating I'd like (ideally I want to be able to take at least four people to the trails). There are options along those lines, but not really looked into them yet.

Then I can treat that thing like crap and have something fancier to drive around normally.

Maybe one of these: https://www.vitosport.co.uk/

What's the average lifespan of 120tpi road tyres? Is 1400-1500 miles about right because my rear tyre is bulging and I only put them on 2 months ago :(

I've ordered some of those 60tpi Vittoria Rubino 3s - have I made a mistake?

Mascot

I've actually considered buying a transit van but they lack the seating I'd like (ideally I want to be able to take at least four people to the trails).

I wouldn't buy a Transit Van if I was you mate, not with that serial killer beard of yours. You'll be getting pulled over every ten minutes.

A pickup with a shotgun I mean bike rack would be ideal. Today I spent the afternoon lugging the SO's old bike in my Juke, it barely fit after removing the front wheel and with the rear seats down. On the plus side, I got a crash course in how to put together a rim brake.

Jobiensis

TPI is usually about ride quality, not durability. For road, soft tires which are really nice for racing, usually don't last long - 1500 miles is probably about right. I've done it, but I just can't afford going through tires that quickly, so I opt for Conti 4000's. Can easily get by with two sets for a season.

Roof racks typically have much better mounting options. Number of bikes, locking fork mounts, also usable for things like surfboards, paddle boards, kayaks.

Mascot

My missus made me get rid of it. Just the designer stubble now. :(

That's a shame. Hope it doesn't impact your serial killing too much.

Hopefully (finally) going to Bike Park Wales in a few weeks after numerous false starts. Got a bunch of mates coming down from all over the country for it. Problem is, the frigging uplift is fully booked all month. Having been there yourself, how are the climbs to the top? Or did you just use the minibus?

If they are ridiculous we'll probably just go to the Forest of Dean.

Depends how fit you are. If you're pretty fit, you can do about three or four of them without feeling tired. Don't bother doing the beast of burden trail, it's not that good (just stick to the fire road which sort of follows it). I think I average about 35 mins, but that's not hammering it.

You can try your luck with spaces on the uplift (pay as you go), but if it's a busy day you'll probably end up waiting for two or three buses.

Put 80 miles on the new tyres and the ride quality is slightly rougher when riding on garbage roads, but I'll accept it if it saves me £200 - 300 in tyres per year. I didn't notice any difference in rolling resistance or cornering feel on smooth tarmac.

Leanage at Chatsworth House

cbikeiae5y.jpg

Mascot

Depends how fit you are. If you're pretty fit, you can do about three or four of them without feeling tired. Don't bother doing the beast of burden trail, it's not that good (just stick to the fire road which sort of follows it). I think I average about 35 mins, but that's not hammering it.

You can try your luck with spaces on the uplift (pay as you go), but if it's a busy day you'll probably end up waiting for two or three buses.
My fitness isn't too bad (I average about a hundred hard miles a week, mostly off road) but a couple of the lads might struggle a bit. Plan is to go on a Monday to avoid the worst of the crowds so we might be ok winging it.

Kind of a random question, but does anyone have experiences with NS Bikes flat pedals? I need new ones and these things are pretty competitively priced.

I'm currently using the questionable "wellgo platform" pedals that come with many mountain bikes, and they're just too small for my feet.

muu

Ran into a grey compost/yard waste cart on the way to work this morning. Fortunately nothing seems to be broken after x-rays, but shoulder aches like crazy and I can't lift it myself above 60degrees or so. Those things are brutral, what being gray and nearly invisible when sun's coming up and it looks like part of the shade...

muu

Never had issue with wiggle being too slow. You can opt to pay for expedited shipping though I found little difference usually.

thomaser

Took the bike to the shop, and they luckily managed to fix it. For free! The clamp that holds the front derailleur was knocked out of place, and the derailleur itself was bent, but it was a quick fix. Only thing that needs replacing is the seat, but it only has an ugly tear and is still usable, so I'll continue using it.

Insurance agrees to pay most of the tab for fixing the car roof, but I'll still have to pony up $800, which I don't have at the moment. So those bumps and scratches can just stay there for a while.

Oh, and ANOTHER stupid thing I just did: went on a 70 km "recovery" road ride the day after the mtb-race. Not only were my legs killing me from the outset, but I stupidly didn't eat before heading out. Never again. Eat before cycling, thomaser - eat before cycling.

$800 after insurance? Good god. How much was the actual repair bill?

Unrelated, I bought myself a Kurt Kinetic Rock N Roll II turbo trainer today. Looking forward to giving it a blast.

Mascot

Unrelated, I bought myself a Kurt Kinetic Rock N Roll II turbo trainer today. Looking forward to giving it a blast.

Wow, those things cost more than I paid for my bike (admittedly, I did get around 60% off my bike)..!

Never used one before. Is this just for bad weather/dark winter training? A big part of cycling for me is being outdoors in the fresh air, and the variety of terrain and scenery. I never exercise indoors if there's anything I can do outdoors. I do use an elliptical cross trainer in the worst of winter weather or at night, but even while watching a movie while using it I'd much rather be outdoors doing something else.

If I tried doing the sort of training I do on the turbo, on the road, I'd end up dead. Plus, it's quite difficult to hit your targets anywhere near as accurately when you're out and about. Even if you have a power meter (and power meters make that trainer look downright cheap).

But yeah, it's a nice opportunity to watch a film whilst working out somewhere warm. They're definitely used in the winter more by most people.

kottila

If I tried doing the sort of training I do on the turbo, on the road, I'd end up dead. Plus, it's quite difficult to hit your targets anywhere near as accurately when you're out and about. Even if you have a power meter (and power meters make that trainer look downright cheap).

But yeah, it's a nice opportunity to watch a film whilst working out somewhere warm. They're definitely used in the winter more by most people.

Price of power meters are plummeting these days. 4iiii just introduced a $400 one, left/right only). Which happens to be just the price of the turbo I want, the new BKOOL pro.
I'm not getting any of them

Yeah, I've seen that one on DC Rainmaker. However, up until fairly recently power meters were still crazy money. It's nice to see them coming down though.

Mascot

So what are the relative advantages/disadvantages over an exercise bike such as this one (randomly chosen)? Seems cheap for what it is, but probably crap. Other models are available of course. £400 would get you a bloody good one.

I don't think I could be bothered to bring my bike into the house and set up the trainer every time I wanted to use it. Taking the back wheel on and off annoys the shit out of me. I think I'd be more inclined to use an exercise bike that is sat there waiting, all set up and ready to go.

Plus, there's the additional wear and tear on your bike's drivetraine to consider I guess.

Mascot

http://www.trainerroad.com/ is the only answer you need.

Completely changed the way I train now, and has made a massive difference to my performance.

(I have a second bike that I use on the trainer. One that rarely gets used for other things.)

Ugh. I hate paid subscription services.

Reviews are good but it's not for me. Personally I'm just interested in maintaining sufficient fitness to enjoy my biking, and I can do that by actually biking or using the elliptical trainer. I could never justify the expense of an extra bike and turbo trainer (and the extra faffing) unless I was a competitive biker, which I'm not. I like chasing down Strava KOMs when my neighbour pips me but I'm more into biking for the fun and pleasure it gives me. Painful training or competitive riding would erode that, I think.

kottila

So what are the relative advantages/disadvantages over an exercise bike such as this one (randomly chosen)? Seems cheap for what it is, but probably crap. Other models are available of course. £400 would get you a bloody good one.

I don't think I could be bothered to bring my bike into the house and set up the trainer every time I wanted to use it. Taking the back wheel on and off annoys the shit out of me. I think I'd be more inclined to use an exercise bike that is sat there waiting, all set up and ready to go.

Plus, there's the additional wear and tear on your bike's drivetraine to consider I guess.

You can buy really cheap trainers as well, the cheapest aren't £400 and most models don't require you to remove the back wheel, you just click it in.

General pros of a turbo:

You can use your own bike (perfect fit/road bike geometry, use the same muscles as outside, but increases wear)
Feels more like riding a bike(?)
They don't weigh 40 kg (the one in your add)
They take much less room (once you remove your bike)

You could buy a decent spinning bike to get a more road bike feel, but they're probably quite expensive too

I'm more into biking for the fun and pleasure it gives me. Painful training or competitive riding would erode that, I think.
I don't compete, but what training does gives me is the ability to do rides that I'd never have been able to complete in the past... at least not without utterly wrecking myself and hating every minute of it.

So thanks to a bit of hardship (in a nice warm garage with a big TV showing whatever films I want to watch) I'm able to do multi day off road trails through the middle of no-where... and I love it. :D

Mascot

So thanks to a bit of hardship (in a nice warm garage with a big TV showing whatever films I want to watch) I'm able to do multi day off road trails through the middle of no-where... and I love it. :D

It's amazing how watching a screen helps you forget that you're exercising. When I'm on the cross trainer in front of a film or a football match I just zone out and don't realise how knackered I am until the end.

It's amazing how watching a screen helps you forget that you're exercising. When I'm on the cross trainer in front of a film or a football match I just zone out and don't realise how knackered I am until the end.

I was watching the E3 pressers on the cross trainer and was exhausted afterwards, but didn't really pay attention to it while exercising. xD

yep, i bought a trainer last september and use it religiously during winter/spring before transitioning to 22 week blocks of road training. but even then, i'm still using my trainer at least twice a week for specific build exercises, such as pyramid intervals and tempo rides. it's very hard to find any roads in my area that are conducive to these exercises and the trainer allows me to go balls to the wall knowing that i can fall dead.... but in the safety of my garage ;)

one thing about the trainer though is that you cannot get on there and just spin, there has to be some sort of plan to help the time fly by or else you'll die of boredom. personally, i can't get on and watch a movie for an hour because my exercise goes to shit. so beyond the aforementioned exercises, i'll also do cadence drills involving spinning at 110rpm for 1 minute, followed by big gear at 50-60 rmp for 1 minute repeated 8 times to mimic cadence disruptions and climbing out of saddle in big gear at 60-80 rpm for duration. anything to make the time fly by....

Price of power meters are plummeting these days. 4iiii just introduced a $400 one, left/right only). Which happens to be just the price of the turbo I want, the new BKOOL pro.
I'm not getting any of them

yep, http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/09/4iiiis-introduces-precision.html

was salivating last night reading this. at least once i week i browse power meters but just can't justify the prices. hopefully this comes to market at $400 (or 800 for l/r) and forces others to follow suit.

I'm pretty good at focussing on trainer road and on a movie... unless I'm doing high intensity intervals, then forget about it. Some of the sufferfest stuff with sprints in, I can barely stay on the bike, let alone follow a plot.

I tried this but the trainer I have is so loud it's hard to hear anything over it. As an example, it's in the garage and it's so loud it's hard to hear the TV in the living room. Granted they're right next to each other but it's still through a very solid wall.

Finally remembered to take that picture. It's hard to remember to snap a pic of a bag of parts when your working bike is giving you the kind of problems that require almost a complete bottom bracket overhaul. Does anyone recognize that logo?

CgB7aiu.jpg

Jobiensis

The 4iiii definitely looks interesting. I'm running a Stages now, but anything that drives the price lower is good.

The short minute or 30 second intervals are best on a trainer, anything longer I prefer to do on the road with a modest incline or headwind. Being able to gauge and hit targets with the varying environment is one of the skills I'm trying to train with a longer interval. Rollers are the best for cadence drills as they force you to concentrate on form.

And yeah my trainer is loud, especially during an interval.

Thanks to reddit I figured it out. It's the old logo for Swobo Bikes, and this is the actual bike:

1308668641.jpg

It's too bad the wheels were no longer attached as they look really good and would look even better with the deep blue I'm going to be painting the frame.

Speaking of painting, is there an easy consumer-friendly way to do clear-coat lacquer? I want the paint protected and the test run I did to this BMX bike I was restoring didn't leave me with any warm fuzzies because my son's shoes were rubbing the paint of just tooling around in front of the house.

Look at that stem..

Yeah, that's insane. The bike at this moment is just frame, fork, two wheels, stem, and handlebar. I don't see a use for the stem or bars (don't like the shape of either) so I'm going to be picking something else out for them.
Earphones.

Tried headphones but it bleeds through and I don't want to turn it up so loud to hear over that I damage my hearing. I ended up just turning subtitles on.

waypoetic

Banned
I'm thinking about getting the Tacx Booster trainer. I've got a feeling that come November I won't be riding in those chilly temperatures and in December... Yeah, no.

Mascot

Holy shit, I've never seen the tide this low before. It's like pre-tsunami suction low. With a few more beers in me I might have attempted to cycle to Ireland.

WPg27DlWliAvSyBwJOQO1qvotCNtPGAfq_dMjQQhFME=w822-h609-no

Welp, I got the pedals and they feel nice and sticky. Had a test ride earlier, and the ball of my left foot didn't get hurty like before. Presumably because I don't get the urge to grab the pedals like a monkey. I also felt more confident rattling along a rooty trail.

Right now, sitting in front of the computer eating dinner, it feels like my calves got a bigger workout than normally.

edit: I also passed by some cyclocrossers going hella fast in the bushes. That shit was crazy.

petran79

Banned
I avoided riding for many years, mainly because they were rebuilding the road near the sea and I hated taking another route. I preferred walking.

Problem was that I lacked stamina and exercise for almost 5 years. Had to lose almost 25 pounds through exercise (swimming at sea and walking) to get ready for bicycle.

not only that, the bike I bought was stolen and the one my dad has is much lighter and not suited for speed. but it is easier to ascend roads. I'll cope with it till I buy a new one.

also I have to put my left knee on a protective cover. riding the bicycle for so many kilometers 8 years ago, causes it to hurt after a while.

but I remembered those years again. Walking is nice but it strains your feet and can become boring. I lost some foot nails this summer due to that. With a bicycle you can lose the same calories in half the time.

Top Bottom