• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Jobiensis

Can anyone tell from a single picture how tall the frame for this bike would be?

It would basically be a WAG, but either I'd go with 56-57cm, just based on the head tube. Presuming this isn't a 650c short person bike.

That saddle looks awfully wrong.

rrvv

so I need some buying advice.

main purpose: just university commuting along with weakly exercise.

Maximum Budget $1000

Mascot

Damn. Did my normal after-work 23 miler and it was almost dark when I got back. Summer is saying goodbye, peeps. We are on borrowed time.

Damn. Did my normal after-work 23 miler and it was almost dark when I got back. Summer is saying goodbye, peeps. We are on borrowed time.

It's annoying, this is the only time of year I ever get a chance to do any significant amount of riding. Summer always seems to be crazy busy for me.

Mascot

It's annoying, this is the only time of year I ever get a chance to do any significant amount of riding. Summer always seems to be crazy busy for me.

That day in October when the clocks go back an hour... man, that depresses the fuck out of me every single year. It signals hibernation time during the week and weather-permitting weekend riding only for the next five months.

A two shift work schedule is pretty good for biking. Evening shift means I need to be at work at 1 PM, can arrive as late as 2 if I have the extra hours clocked in.

Aldi (UK) are doing their winter cycling sale on Thursday, 25th Sept

untitled-1h5r82.jpg

Pretty much all my biking clothes are from Lidl. It works!

The weather people are informing us that the "thermal autumn" starts on Monday. Gonna rain all day. I forgot which shift I have. Must bike.

That day in October when the clocks go back an hour... man, that depresses the fuck out of me every single year. It signals hibernation time during the week and weather-permitting weekend riding only for the next five months.

Yep, already dreading the day. Although the upside for me since I live in Texas is the weather starts to cool down from 100 to 70-80. So it's a tradeoff, but all in all I'd rather have the extra hour or two at night then cooler temps.

Anyway, had my first race of the year after 30 weeks of specific training (first time I've ever done this - prep, base, build, peak, and race) and I did really well. I specifically chose the same race I did last year to compare efforts and I couldn't be more happier with my performance. I chose the 38 mile route with about 2300 ft of climbing and finished in a little under 2 hours. I was very happy with my climbing considering that's basically all I've been working the past 10 weeks and it was quite thrilling to drop people as the gradients got steeper. To be sure, my weight (131 lbs) has an effect but besides the roll out and the mile and half cruise through some city streets my cadence never dropped below 75 at any point and I was able to maintain an average cadence of 96. Comparatively speaking, last year this same route took me about 2:40 to complete, not counting the 15 minute break at a rest stop I took. This time, no stops and only had one gel. Best of all, I felt great after finishing and probably could have kept going. Indeed, during training I was regularly doing 3-4 hour rides although at a less frenetic pace so 2 hours went by in a breeze. Base rides, where have you been the last 2 and a half years?

My next race is this Satudray and it's 62 miles, but with only ~1500 ft of climbs. This is the one I'm really looking forward to because of the circumstances of last year's race and my horrific effort. A 35 mile route took me 3 hours and 15 minutes to complete, I was pissed. Granted, it was 34 degrees, sleeting, and a brutal 20 mph headwind and my hands were practically frozen after mile 15, but I don't think I've ever suffered that much ever. And I've had a double-lung transplant! This time around the weather looks perfect, around 75 degrees and sunny, and I'm looking to make amends!

Once that race is over, I'm gonna start hitting the weights because I just get blown away on flats and downhills. It's not even funny and I need to add about 10-15lbs to gain some power without compromising my ability to climb.

Sounds good. I must admit that I'm not looking forward to my next event.

I've spent way too much time working on aesthetics rather than cycling fitness, so I'm going to get CRUSHED.

Jobiensis

First off, nice job.

I'd say do more Z3. Weights are great for strength, which will help with surges, sprints and kickers, but not for long efforts. Your power output is probably just low, your weight gives you a respectable power to weight ratio, so you climb well. In other words, raise your FTP. Side benefit, you will become an even better climber.

Not sure if the gaining weight thing was a joke, but I'd love to lose 15 pounds and not lose my 5 minute power.

I've spent way too much time working on aesthetics

What does this mean, working on your hair? Whitening your teeth?

Sounds good. I must admit that I'm not looking forward to my next event.

I've spent way too much time working on aesthetics rather than cycling fitness, so I'm going to get CRUSHED.

Thanks and don't feel bad, I spent the better part of an hour yesterday ruminating over various black Castelli jerseys before going riding. :-/

First off, nice job.

I'd say do more Z3. Weights are great for strength, which will help with surges, sprints and kickers, but not for long efforts. Your power output is probably just low, your weight gives you a respectable power to weight ratio, so you climb well. In other words, raise your FTP. Side benefit, you will become an even better climber.

Not sure if the gaining weight thing was a joke, but I'd love to lose 15 pounds and not lose my 5 minute power.

Thanks! My power output is definitely low but as you said, looks respectable on climbs because of my weight. I think the highest I've pushed is around 4.7 w/kg on a climb (if Strava is to be trusted... big leap) but generally and again relying on just strava, it looks like I hover between 2-2.5 w/kg during normal riding conditions.

Found this after reading your comment regarding FTP drills, so I'll start incorporating them into my training plan once I start back up. http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/three-ways-to-improve-functional-threshold-power I really need to baseline my FTP, though.

As for weights and adding some pounds, a side effect of my lung disease is an extremely fast metabolism so with the amount of riding I've been doing my weight just plummets to unhealthy ranges. I was down to 125lbs at points, and I even have a stomach tube that allows me to pump in 500 calorie formulas (30g protein, etc) within minutes. I make sure to eat during rides too but the Texas heat coupled with my issues really can wreak some havoc and the weight just falls off. Basically anything below 130 my efforts really begin to suffer and my body and mind just go to waste. And recovery takes forever. Maybe an extra 15lbs is pushing it since I have never in my life been 145 but I think I can definitely hit 140 therefore providing myself with a solid base to work with while not compromising too much on climbs. Provided I hammer the FTP sessions ;) But I've definitely held back on rides, especially long rides, because I'm worried about weight loss.

Had an unplanned day off, so I took the opportunity to go on a slightly longer bike trip. I decided to go for the big ass artificial hill at the eastern tip of the city. Temperature had plummeted to around 6C, from a downright toasty 15C we had yesterday.

In the end I rode about 28km in 3 hours, which may not sound like much but you can pretty much stick a fork in me. I had a slight unintended detour and I ended up on a forest trail from hell, with a lot of terrain that I simply wasn't able to ride. Cue clambering over fallen trees and pushing the bike on rock faces slick from last night's rain, as well as the odd hundred year old fortress ruin. After that I actually used my GPS and found the artificial hill. Climbed it, ate some weird sporty food products, then scampered back down before the wind turned me into a popsicle. Ride home was uneventful but I sure couldn't take any big hills anymore.

Here what it looked like on top of the hill. It was way more impressive in person.

oiknWjJ.jpg

Here is a photo I took form the chair lift at my local mountain park, Stevens Pass. The trail is called Slingshot Wookie and it rocks! The trails there are amazing, but pretty extreme as you can see. They just opened a beginner trail which is pretty fun and fast.

X8dI5Bzl.jpg

Mascot

Here is a photo I took form the chair lift at my local mountain park, Stevens Pass. The trail is called Slingshot Wookie and it rocks! The trails there are amazing, but pretty extreme as you can see. They just opened a beginner trail which is pretty fun and fast.

X8dI5Bzl.jpg
Holy shit, that's awesome. Where?

Jobiensis

Thanks! My power output is definitely low but as you said, looks respectable on climbs because of my weight. I think the highest I've pushed is around 4.7 w/kg on a climb (if Strava is to be trusted... big leap) but generally and again relying on just strava, it looks like I hover between 2-2.5 w/kg during normal riding conditions.

Found this after reading your comment regarding FTP drills, so I'll start incorporating them into my training plan once I start back up. http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/three-ways-to-improve-functional-threshold-power I really need to baseline my FTP, though.

As for weights and adding some pounds, a side effect of my lung disease is an extremely fast metabolism so with the amount of riding I've been doing my weight just plummets to unhealthy ranges. I was down to 125lbs at points, and I even have a stomach tube that allows me to pump in 500 calorie formulas (30g protein, etc) within minutes. I make sure to eat during rides too but the Texas heat coupled with my issues really can wreak some havoc and the weight just falls off. Basically anything below 130 my efforts really begin to suffer and my body and mind just go to waste. And recovery takes forever. Maybe an extra 15lbs is pushing it since I have never in my life been 145 but I think I can definitely hit 140 therefore providing myself with a solid base to work with while not compromising too much on climbs. Provided I hammer the FTP sessions ;) But I've definitely held back on rides, especially long rides, because I'm worried about weight loss.

You can get a baseline power from Strava for ball parking. Pick a popular segment that has a decent gradient to it, this will reduce the effect of winds. Then look at the leaderboards by weight in your weight class and find someone close to your time that has a power meter. Overall, it doesn't matter what your exact FTP is, if you know your heart rate zone, just train on them. To gauge your improvement you need to find a hill (like above, good gradient to reduce wind effects) that takes ~20 minutes and just compare times. I'm not going to pretend to know your situation though, so be careful.

Also the power is a over time thing, 4 w/kg is excellent for an hour, pretty good for 20 min, ok for 5 min, and terrible for a minute. But I wouldn't concern myself too much about it, personal improvement is the goal.

I apologize about the weight, I thought it was just a flippant remark. Generally in the off season, when I'm riding I don't put on much weight, and I eat horribly and often. I can see how that could be a real problem if you can't keep your intake up. Yeah, you don't want to be so skinny that you have no reserves for recovery.

Also join our Strava group!
http://www.strava.com/clubs/bikegaf

petran79

Banned
Decided to take cycling.
Hadnt used a bike seriously for over 7 years.

But things werent so easy. Had to lose weight, change bad eating habits and improve stamina. Summer holidays and swimming helped a lot. I was in an appaling state really. Muscle injuries from daily tasks were quite common and the final straw was that my back hurt after playing beach rackets.
Also I had to reduce video game time! Even my left thumb hurt after using a pad.

But now I am ready!

So I got this (420 Euro):

Giant Revel-1 XL (Black/Red/White)

It feels very nice, much better than the cheap mountain bike I had back then. Unfortunately that bike got stolen at a time when I wasnt cycling. But old bike had a bad steering wheel after it was damaged by a car when my dad used it.

I ride mainly through the city at the sea road. I dont dare taking the main road except if I have to. Only sea road has bicycle roads. Cars, taxis, bikes, motorcycles, scooters, buses, trucks, it is a chaos. Everyone parks their car or truck on the main road illegally, blocking cyclists and I have to do manouvres with full traffic behind me. So sea road is safer since it is used for a walk and cars are forbidden to enter.
Problem is that pavements here are badly constructed and conserved. So there are many gaps and small obstacles for a normal city bike with slender wheels.

If I move out of the city to the countryside for work, I'll take the bicycle with me.
Feels great to be back

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb...revel.1.black.white.red/11861/56892/#overview

2013_GIANT_REVEL_1_WHITE.jpg

Mascot

Fantastic post-work blast around the woods yesterday (sadly one of the last this year, probably - damn you, dark evenings!) but nearly got squished by a couple of mad quad bikers. Thing is, there were loads of dog walkers and a couple of horses on the trails - I can't imagine quad bikes and Jack Russells mixing all that well. I imagine words were exchanged.

You can get a baseline power from Strava for ball parking. Pick a popular segment that has a decent gradient to it, this will reduce the effect of winds. Then look at the leaderboards by weight in your weight class and find someone close to your time that has a power meter. Overall, it doesn't matter what your exact FTP is, if you know your heart rate zone, just train on them. To gauge your improvement you need to find a hill (like above, good gradient to reduce wind effects) that takes ~20 minutes and just compare times. I'm not going to pretend to know your situation though, so be careful.

Also the power is a over time thing, 4 w/kg is excellent for an hour, pretty good for 20 min, ok for 5 min, and terrible for a minute. But I wouldn't concern myself too much about it, personal improvement is the goal.

I apologize about the weight, I thought it was just a flippant remark. Generally in the off season, when I'm riding I don't put on much weight, and I eat horribly and often. I can see how that could be a real problem if you can't keep your intake up. Yeah, you don't want to be so skinny that you have no reserves for recovery.

Also join our Strava group!
http://www.strava.com/clubs/bikegaf

No apologies needed! I've been segmentening on Strava, but only after the fact and simply for curious sake. I spent a better part of afternoon finding some good hilly segments on Strava and will get at it to determine FTP. One, in particular, is a nice 10 mile categorized 3 climb about 45 minutes away from home. I'll save that for after I've done some building with the 20 min efforts. Glad I live in the Hill Country.

And yeah, I usually gain a few pound during winter also but it just comes cascading off once I get serious on the bike again. The goal is to add more this time around so I'm not at a deficit at the early stages and having to take time off to recoup. And definitely will join the group!

Anyway, off to the 62 mile race. It's been raining all night so I hope the route hasn't been cancelled like last year's was. If so, the 34 mile option remains. At least the temperature is cooperating, around 71 degrees.

Mascot

Second day in a row where I've ridden 25 miles across sharp rocks and thorny brambles without a spare inner tube or a puncture repair kit.

It adds a fair degree of excitement, I find.

Fantastic post-work blast around the woods yesterday (sadly one of the last this year, probably - damn you, dark evenings!) but nearly got squished by a couple of mad quad bikers. Thing is, there were loads of dog walkers and a couple of horses on the trails - I can't imagine quad bikes and Jack Russells mixing all that well. I imagine words were exchanged.

I really hate people like that. No consideration of others.

That said, dog walkers are no better. Friend of mine had a nasty crash today (destroyed new helmet) because some asshole let their dog get right across the cycle path on one of those extending leads. I told him that if it happens again he should just aim for the dog and let the owner decide if he thinks it's a good idea not to reel it back in.

Mascot

I really hate people like that. No consideration of others.

That said, dog walkers are no better. Friend of mine had a nasty crash today (destroyed new helmet) because some asshole let their dog get right across the cycle path on one of those extending leads. I told him that if it happens again he should just aim for the dog and let the owner decide if he thinks it's a good idea not to reel it back in.

Most dog walkers I come across in the woods will sensibly call their dogs in and hold them while I cycle past, but you do get the occasional sour-faced cow or scowling twatwaffle who glare at you as if you've just pissed on their kids. What DOES annoy me though is having to avoid free-roaming dogs on the cycle path where there are signs everywhere saying "DOGS MUST BE KEPT ON LEADS", especially if the owners do fuck-all about controlling them.

Plus: dog shit.

Edit: any recommendations for puncture repair kits? Are the 'sticker' type any good or is glue/patch still the future?

Glue free is best for when you're out on the trail. Normal type for at home.

As for dog shit, brand new five tens and brand new pedals got covered in it today. Cunts.

Mascot

Gave my bike a good service this morning and stupidly tried to boost the shock pressure with a tyre pump. Result: all air lost and no pressure whatsoever. Luckily my next-door neighbour had a proper shock pump otherwise this afternoon's ride would have been on lock-out forks. Mental note to self: buy a shock pump.

While looking for the correct pressure in the Rock Shox booklet I did come across a nice little sticker, so decided to pimp the clock above the fireplace. Turned out pretty well, I thought.

IMG_20140928_102050.jpg

IMG_20140928_102008.jpg

IMG_20140928_102319.jpg

Mascot

I still don't understand.
:p

Kerching!

(I did it 'cos I like stuff like that, and I like MTB culture, and IMO it looks cool. I've got a classic Burton snowboard in my lounge, plus two Nixie clocks, plus various industrial bits of junk - see mantlepiece - plus I'm in negotiation to buy an old carbon GT bike to mount on the wall. The rest of the house is similarly decked out. It's in my blood, fuelled by an industrial design background.)

Mascot

Hey - get the fuck out of my garden!

Back on topic: man, the trails around here are in absolutely perfect condtion right now. I've been overdoing a bit lately (for my level of fitness anyway: four consecutive days of ~23 miles off road) so my legs are feeling it a bit at the moment. But at this time of year you need to grab every opportunity to get out there, especially with the evenings drawing in. I can still fit a ride in after work if I don't hang about, but not for much longer.

Here's a piccy from the weekend of a nice little bunny-hoppable obstacle on a fast part of one trail:

IMG_20140927_154342.jpg

Watevaman

Hey - get the fuck out of my garden!

Back on topic: man, the trails around here are in absolutely perfect condtion right now. I've been overdoing a bit lately (for my level of fitness anyway: four consecutive days of ~23 miles off road) so my legs are feeling it a bit at the moment. But at this time of year you need to grab every opportunity to get out there, especially with the evenings drawing in. I can still fit a ride in after work if I don't hang about, but not for much longer.

Here's a piccy from the weekend of a nice little bunny-hoppable obstacle on a fast part of one trail:

IMG_20140927_154342.jpg

looks very nice

I can't wait until I have a car again. The offroad trails where I'm at right now are too far to bike to, so I'll need to carry my bike. Getting the urge to do some more singletrack.

Mascot

looks very nice

I can't wait until I have a car again. The offroad trails where I'm at right now are too far to bike to, so I'll need to carry my bike. Getting the urge to do some more singletrack.

How far is too far? I bike seven miles to get to my local set of woods, and seven miles back again. It could be three miles but I always detour along the coastal path to get some sea air.

Watevaman

It's about 10 miles, but I guess "too far" wasn't the right word. Inaccessible via bike is what I meant to say, as the park is off a highway that you are not allowed to ride bikes on and there's only one entrance.

There are plenty of road going trails around town but I want some offroad stuff.

well my 62 mile race on saturday actually turned out to be 67 and i was cursing the streets the last 10 miles!

started out really well, weather was great, and i was riding in the slipstream of my transplant doctor for the first 35 miles. but then the rain started and continued and it didn't stop for the rest of the race. so for the next 3 hours i was drenched, cold, and wasn't able to open up any of my food or gels because hands were too wet. although i brought a rain jacket with me, i left it in the car because the sun was peeking out at the beginning of the race.

anywhoo, as i said, started out really well and felt great and we were alone at the front till mile 35 at which point said rain start and my doctor upped the pace to a point where i couldn't follow. mind you, this guy is legit and just got back from a 120 mile race in colorado with over 9000 ft of climbing, so this was just a training ride for him! anyway, once i was detached i was on my own until about mile 55 at which point the rain coupled with the never ending headwind finally took its toll on my body and i was basically done with. pedaled squares the rest of the way back and was passed by a group of 5 riders in the last 3 miles. i tried to jump on to their wheel but i couldn't even manage that, so i just sat up and spun back to finish.

although i was disappointed in the last 10 miles and how i felt i was proud that i was able to complete the 67 miles considering last year's 32 mile route had me cursing the bike for a few months afterwards. in addition, the big goal of mine going into this year's edition was simply to stay attached to my doctor's wheel for about 10 miles. last year when he took off i could only with him for about 5 minutes before i was cooked, so the fact that i was able to stay with him for 35 miles really excited me. granted, it was his slipstream but still. people were trying to jump on my wheel and they couldn't hang so that was a great feeling! even through the undulating beginning i didn't have an issue as others did.

once again, though, the headwind and the shitty roads (chipseal) prove that i desperately need to work on my power output because i expended so much energy battling those two that i didn't have anything left for the last 10 miles. granted, the fact that i didn't eat anything probably contributed to the blowup but that was more a factor of the shitty ass weather negating my ability to properly fuel up. i had meant to cut the tops off of my bars and gels beforehand but i forgot, welp. that won't happen again either!

ah well, at least i crossed the line. so many people decided to hop off, especially after the 3rd straight hour of rain and dropping temps. and it crystallized what i need to work over the next year: power and endurance. in other words, the essentials of cycling! ha.

Mascot

Anyone able to give me an idiots guide to lock on grips? I bought http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/odi-ruffian-mtb-lock-on/rp-prod441 and I've no idea how they worked (I'd stupidly assumed they'd just lock on to my bars). I have Easton EA30 Lowriser Oversized bars (I've destroyed the Cube grips that came with my bike).

From the ad:
"Includes 1 pair of replacement grips WITHOUT the Alloy Lock On Clamps, if you need clamps they can be purchased separately or in the Bonus pack with the grips"

You need the alloy clamps that screw together to clamp the grips on to the bars.

cobalt_grip_gold.jpg

Personally I use a pair of lock-on grips from Tesco. £5 for the pair and I find them absolutely fine. No need to spend a fortune unless... image etc. Similar ones are available on eBay for the same price.

Edit: £3.75 delivered here.

Edit: £2.64 delivered here.

Pinkuss

From the ad:
"Includes 1 pair of replacement grips WITHOUT the Alloy Lock On Clamps, if you need clamps they can be purchased separately or in the Bonus pack with the grips"

You need the alloy clamps that screw together to clamp the grips on to the bars.

cobalt_grip_gold.jpg

Personally I use a pair of lock-on grips from Tesco. £5 for the pair and I find them absolutely fine. No need to spend a fortune unless... image etc. Similar ones are available on eBay for the same price.

Edit: £3.75 delivered here.

Edit: £2.64 delivered here.
Ta. Serves me right for shopping whilst tipsy (I ordered two pairs too... good job I have two bikes). Just jumped at the ODI's as when I used to ride BMX's years ago they were godlike.

Top Bottom