• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

kottila

Not sure i get your logic, how is a lighter bike not suited to speed on a road? Road bikes aren't generally the heaviedt of bikes

petran79

Banned
Not sure i get your logic, how is a lighter bike not suited to speed on a road? Road bikes aren't generally the heaviedt of bikes

it doesnt offer a lot of gears. heaviest gear feels like medium gear of the previous bike. they're the same size

Jobiensis

Not sure about that

Well, it's possible if you compare relaxed walking to pretty brisk cycling. I can really easily burn 800 calories/hour riding. But it isn't a fair comparison.

I was walking at 35 celsius heat for 5.5 hours, including 50 minutes ascending, lost 3 kilos.

Used the bicycle for 2 hours at a straight road, at 27 celsius, lost 1.6 kilos

This isn't how it works, you are clearly including lost water weight. There is really no way you burnt ~12k calories in 2 hours of cycling.

I can lose 10 pounds in a decent long ride, but it is because I'm dehydrated. In a 100 miles, I'd expect to burn ~5k calories. That is over 5 hours of riding at a relatively fast pace.

So I might be buying a road bike. Trying to swallow the bitterness at the moment and press the "add to cart" button. Am never wearing lycra or shaving my legs though.

Jobiensis

So I might be buying a road bike. Trying to swallow the bitterness at the moment and press the "add to cart" button. Am never wearing lycra or shaving my legs though.

Yes, come over to the dark side.

RQjAbGY.jpg

petran79

Banned
Well, it's possible if you compare relaxed walking to pretty brisk cycling. I can really easily burn 800 calories/hour riding. But it isn't a fair comparison.

This isn't how it works, you are clearly including lost water weight. There is really no way you burnt ~12k calories in 2 hours of cycling.

I can lose 10 pounds in a decent long ride, but it is because I'm dehydrated. In a 100 miles, I'd expect to burn ~5k calories. That is over 5 hours of riding at a relatively fast pace.

walking seemed relaxed because I got used to it. it was a 20 km walk during summer heat, culminating on a 40 minute ascension during heat peak hours (13.30-14.30 am), the last one without drinking water. One day it reached 39 C. Heart was pumping like crazy, yet I breathed normally. Fortunately sea was nearby after the end of the journey to get refreshed. But yes, I was dehydrating more. Didnt have appetite for food afterwards, just drinks and fruits and vegetables.

with the bicycle appetite is normal.

during that walk on summer vacation I also saw quite a few cyclists. There was also a group of German tourists cycling and the group leader was showing them the area. they were there for over 2 months.

Unfortunately for long distances I have to take the main road and it is very dangerous for less experienced cyclists as there are a lot of lorries and buses and drivers are generally carefree. Hence I preferred walking. But now that I am back in the seaside city, back to cycling again.

Mascot

Gulp. Just ordered one of these shiny things:

Ed5t6w4.jpg

Don't forget a tracksuit to protect you from the gravelly wet spray as a left-hand drive juggernaut (driven by an alcoholic Eastern European texting addict) thunders past barely two inches away on those wet winter rides along the A48.
Not even satire.

jimmysaville.jpg

Yeah, the key is going to be finding the relatively good roads around here. Had some bad experiences with complete wankers in the past.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Bike computer recommendations?

Mine broke and I made it worse trying to fix it.

I'd like something that is cheap, has temperature or calories and is INCREDIBLY EASY TO SET UP.

thomaser

Congrats on the bike, it looks super cool! But now you have to resist the urge to explore every dirt path you see.

Yeah, I find myself looking at gravel roads and paths all the time when I'm out with the racer. BUT... I go much farther away from home with the racer than with the mtb, so I wouldn't have seen those paths if I'd only used the mtb. Now I simply take the car and drive the mtb to explore the places I've seen on the racer. Having both kinds of bike is brilliant since they complement each other so well.

Sport helmet?

I dunno, my best guess is that it stands for cheap.

http://www.bontrager.com/model/11671

Yeah, I find myself looking at gravel roads and paths all the time when I'm out with the racer. BUT... I go much farther away from home with the racer than with the mtb, so I wouldn't have seen those paths if I'd only used the mtb. Now I simply take the car and drive the mtb to explore the places I've seen on the racer. Having both kinds of bike is brilliant since they complement each other so well.

I do admit to dreaming of this lately. Just in time for winter!

http://www.konaworld.com/honky_tonk.cfm

Mascot

I wouldn't ever like to ride a bike where the wheels were on the verge of collapse at any moment. You roadies have got sure some balls, that's for sure.

560329d1280928953-baggy-pants-vs-spandex%97-do-you-prefer-why-redbikeshorts.jpg

Oh my God, you all looked.

kottila

I wouldn't ever like to ride a bike where the wheels were on the verge of collapse at any moment. You roadies have got sure some balls, that's for sure.

560329d1280928953-baggy-pants-vs-spandex%97-do-you-prefer-why-redbikeshorts.jpg

Oh my God, you all looked.

This is the reason why we have a "all bibs must be black"-rule

Jobiensis

Nice bike PT.

Yeah, road bikes can deal with all sorts of abuse. Unless you have really nice wheels, you aren't going to pancake them on a rutted dirt road. You will lose your water bottle.

Fuck black kits, temps are ~100F, black sucks. Embrace the exposure.

What happened to the GAF Strava group? Just made an account myself: http://www.strava.com/athletes/6449087

I believe the admin of it got perma banned and eventually deleted the group.

I'm willing to start one if people want. I'm probably not going to get banned, as I'm only an ass in this thread.

Yeah, it would be nice to see it back.

Maybe if I do some roadie riding my figures won't look so pathetic next to some of the other members. :D

Mascot

Maybe if I do some roadie riding my figures won't look so pathetic next to some of the other members. :D

You won't be doing "some roadie riding" mate. Think long and hard before you straddle one of Satan's Sleds because you will then, by definition, be a roadie.

You can't be a little bit pregnant.

Top Bottom