• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

well my 62 mile race on saturday actually turned out to be 67 and i was cursing the streets the last 10 miles!

started out really well, weather was great, and i was riding in the slipstream of my transplant doctor for the first 35 miles. but then the rain started and continued and it didn't stop for the rest of the race. so for the next 3 hours i was drenched, cold, and wasn't able to open up any of my food or gels because hands were too wet. although i brought a rain jacket with me, i left it in the car because the sun was peeking out at the beginning of the race.

anywhoo, as i said, started out really well and felt great and we were alone at the front till mile 35 at which point said rain start and my doctor upped the pace to a point where i couldn't follow. mind you, this guy is legit and just got back from a 120 mile race in colorado with over 9000 ft of climbing, so this was just a training ride for him! anyway, once i was detached i was on my own until about mile 55 at which point the rain coupled with the never ending headwind finally took its toll on my body and i was basically done with. pedaled squares the rest of the way back and was passed by a group of 5 riders in the last 3 miles. i tried to jump on to their wheel but i couldn't even manage that, so i just sat up and spun back to finish.

although i was disappointed in the last 10 miles and how i felt i was proud that i was able to complete the 67 miles considering last year's 32 mile route had me cursing the bike for a few months afterwards. in addition, the big goal of mine going into this year's edition was simply to stay attached to my doctor's wheel for about 10 miles. last year when he took off i could only with him for about 5 minutes before i was cooked, so the fact that i was able to stay with him for 35 miles really excited me. granted, it was his slipstream but still. people were trying to jump on my wheel and they couldn't hang so that was a great feeling! even through the undulating beginning i didn't have an issue as others did.

once again, though, the headwind and the shitty roads (chipseal) prove that i desperately need to work on my power output because i expended so much energy battling those two that i didn't have anything left for the last 10 miles. granted, the fact that i didn't eat anything probably contributed to the blowup but that was more a factor of the shitty ass weather negating my ability to properly fuel up. i had meant to cut the tops off of my bars and gels beforehand but i forgot, welp. that won't happen again either!

ah well, at least i crossed the line. so many people decided to hop off, especially after the 3rd straight hour of rain and dropping temps. and it crystallized what i need to work over the next year: power and endurance. in other words, the essentials of cycling! ha.

Sounds fun. The bolded is a good description of how I felt the final 15 miles of my last ride: I hate this thing, why did I ever buy one, why am I here, wtf am I doing, I'm selling it when I get home, etc. But the feeling of hearing the crowd when you make it to the end? That washes all the bad things away like so much rain.

Mascot

Phoned a mate just now to see if he was up for some mountain biking this weekend only to be told he'd sold his mtb and was buying a road bike.

Just sent him those pictures of Jimmy Savile to try to cure him of this illness but holy fuck, what's got into people? It's a fucking pandemic.

Phoned a mate just now to see if he was up for some mountain biking this weekend only to be told he'd sold his mtb and was buying a road bike.

Just sent him those pictures of Jimmy Savile to try to cure him of this illness but holy fuck, what's got into people? It's a fucking pandemic.

I haven't sold my bike, I even have an event this weekend!

I'm itching to get a road bike, but luckily (?) the winter is coming. It'll be 110% MTB time and god willing some spike tyres too.

But in the spring, when the snows melt and the local bike expo rolls around...

Jobiensis

I don't understand the Jimmy Savile fixation, must be a UK thing. We have really large crossover here with MTB and Road, most people do both. Racers commonly do CX. One of my former road racing teammates was a pro BMX freestyle rider. My area has tons of motocross guys too, and they tend to be incredibly strong on road bikes.

well my 62 mile race on saturday actually turned out to be 67 and i was cursing the streets the last 10 miles!

Good job, I always feel the first and last 10 miles are always the worse parts of long rides.

Waxing or nothing!

Waxing is acceptable. I've wanted to go this route because at some point I'm going to clip my Achilles tendon.

Mascot

I don't understand the Jimmy Savile fixation, must be a UK thing.
He's the patron saint of road biking and practically invented stuffing your genitals up your own ass to reduce drag. He pioneered combining yellow acrylic hair with those silly little caps that roadies wore before safety was invented, and single-handedly developed the slow-burn cigar that would last for the entirety of the Tour de France. Okay, so he did some diddling and probably murdered dozens of schoolchildren but it's generally accepted that roadies worldwide owe him an eternal debt of gratitude.

Jobiensis

He's the patron saint of road biking and practically invented stuffing your genitals up your own ass to reduce drag. He pioneered combining yellow acrylic hair with those silly little caps that roadies wore before safety was invented, and single-handedly developed the slow-burn cigar that would last for the entirety of the Tour de France. Okay, so he did some diddling and probably murdered dozens of schoolchildren but it's generally accepted that roadies worldwide owe him an eternal debt of gratitude.

Definitely a UK thing, don't really see him in any notable race other than one Tour of Britain in the 50s. His only accomplishment appears to be being a pedophile.

Mascot

Definitely a UK thing, don't really see him in any notable race other than one Tour of Britain in the 50s. His only accomplishment appears to be being a pedophile.
He often entered races incognito under the assumed name of Edouard Louis Joseph Merckx.

Mascot

Box of ten Specialized inner tubes arrived this morning from Rutland Cycles. £16.99 delivered. Not too shabby. Seem to be around £5 EACH from everywhere else. It's not even worth repairing any punctures at that price.

tVo0e_lRYbVDLUWBshiGOvrrRoO6RUSvrZkr4_rhh4k=w1110-h833-no

Mascot

Rutland is becoming my new go-to place for MTB stuff. Just had this very nice 400psi BETO shock pump delivered. £10.

(I know I'll never need 400psi for shocks but it's always better to use higher-rated pneumatic gear than you need. Less stress on the seals and valves etc.)

There is a frame (literally just a frame) locked up near where I work and it's been there for a month. What would you do? It's not a nice frame (I mean, it's nice-ish) so that may be why it's still sitting there when there's a big homeless tent area just down the road from them.

Mascot

Bombing through the woods this evening, rounded a corner and got blinded by some uber-God rays from the setting sun. Man, it's a real race against time trying to fit a ride in at the moment. It was pitch black in there about fifteen minutes after this picture was taken.

Yeah, I rode some rooty paths today right at sunset, things got kinda scary at times but like Jabba the Hutt I rolled through everything.. I guess the local bike shop dude wasn't just trying to get a sale when he recommended a helmet light.

That's a really nice picture btw.

Mascot

Yeah, I rode some rooty paths today right at sunset, things got kinda scary at times but like Jabba the Hutt I rolled through everything.. I guess the local bike shop dude wasn't just trying to get a sale when he recommended a helmet light.
Yeah, my front light is a be-seen only. I've got a head torch that turns night into day though so I might start wearing that.

Or other cyclists. I really don't like this time of year because of the people who feel like they need to burn as brightly as the sun to be seen.

On a bike path.

I'm all for being seen, but keep that shit to Proxima Centauri levels of brightness, please.

Mascot

Or other cyclists. I really don't like this time of year because of the people who feel like they need to burn as brightly as the sun to be seen.

On a bike path.

I'm all for being seen, but keep that shit to Proxima Centauri levels of brightness, please.
Nah, this would be for in the woods only. Just me, the squirrels and the axe murderers.

I got this thought that I need a new handlebar, as the one that came with the bike feels a bit wide at 720mm. I'm also suspecting that it's cause of the pinky numbness I sometimes get, considering I find my hands creeping inwards on the grips the longer I ride.

However, I have little idea what sort of a bar I should get. I know that considering my shoulder size, the width should be between 600-650mm. Straight or riser, and if so how much rise? Carbon or aluminium? I hear carbon is good for vibration damping, but can it handle a 100kg rider?

Mascot

I got this thought that I need a new handlebar, as the one that came with the bike feels a bit wide at 720mm. I'm also suspecting that it's cause of the pinky numbness I sometimes get, considering I find my hands creeping inwards on the grips the longer I ride.

Why not just cut down your current handlebar? It's pretty much expected these days to get a perfect fit. A lot of them even come with handy little laser-etched guides at the ends.

Protip: use a proper pipe-cutter if you have access to one.

I was worried I'd just ruin it. But then again it is only 30-40 euros at risk with the OEM bar, and what you describe sounds pretty easy with one of those cutter things.

Damnit to hell. Event tomorrow and heavy rain forecast. I imagine by the time a few people have gone over it the ground will be unrideable. =/

Mascot

I was worried I'd just ruin it. But then again it is only 30-40 euros at risk with the OEM bar, and what you describe sounds pretty easy with one of those cutter things.

You can use a hacksaw if you want but you'll get a much better result with a pipe cutter.

Damnit to hell. Event tomorrow and heavy rain forecast. I imagine by the time a few people have gone over it the ground will be unrideable. =/
That sucks. Didn't know about the rain though - I'll deffo be squeezing in another ride this evening then HOLY FUCK I SHOULD HAVE FINISHED WORK 15 MINS AGO GOODBYE

Mascot

Fantastic ride tonight. Even overtook a couple of startled Saviles on the long uphill lane back home. They did not like it. Totally knackered now, but feeling good. Got that lovely heavy tingly feeling in my legs when climbing the stairs.

This is fucking beautiful:

Danny Macaskill: The Ridge

Mascot

In the woods today I was attacked on four separate occasions by the same dog. Proper trying-to-chew-my-calves attacked. I was getting close to killing its owners by the end. Fucking idiots.

Had a big off on a downhill section about mid way through the event yesterday. Thought I was mostly OK at the time (barring a bunch of cuts and bruises and losing my glasses), but today my neck is hurting quite a lot, which is a bit concerning.

Going to see how it feels tomorrow and if it's still hurting as much as it is now I'm going to pop to the A&E.

Mascot

Had a big off on a downhill section about mid way through the event yesterday. Thought I was mostly OK at the time (barring a bunch of cuts and bruises and losing my glasses), but today my neck is hurting quite a lot, which is a bit concerning.

Going to see how it feels tomorrow and if it's still hurting as much as it is now I'm going to pop to the A&E.
Hope it's just jarred and nothing serious. Mine is permafucked from diving into a sandbank twenty years ago, then later while water-skiing on a skimboard while towed by a quad bike (long story). Pretty sure with hindsight I cracked a vertebrae at the time. I live with constant neck and back issues now. Cycling is one of the few things I can do that doesn't seem to set it off.

Related, not impressed at all by Evans Ride It, at least on the MTB side of things...

Signage was pretty damn poor (first time have ever got lost on one of these).

Route was bad (bit we got lost on was most fun on all of it, and one section had riders going both ways, insanity on singletrack).

Support was non existent (met a guy with a destroyed rear wheel who had been desperately trying both the phone numbers to get some help).

Worst of all of it though, we didn't even get a finishers medal / tshirt. Which frankly is a bit crap. Definitely wouldn't do another one, Wiggle / Adventure X are far superior. Only high point was that the cake was tasty at the feed stops... but to counter that, they didn't even have any bananas... which is just shit.

(Neck feeling better today, still painful, but I'm far less concerned about it)

Mascot

(Neck feeling better today, still painful, but I'm far less concerned about it)

Good to hear about the neck. Obviously get it looked at if you are in any doubt whatsoever.

Glad I squeezed another ride in yesterday - it's been pissing down for the last nine hours here so the trails will be as boggy as shit. It's supposed to clear up later so I'll head out as usual but might be sticking to the fire trails for the most part.

The change in temperature has been the most surprising. Saturday evening I got back around 6:30pm in shorts and teeshirt and was toasty, but on Sunday morning I was heading out in tights, jacket, snood, skullcap, and thinsulate gloves. It did warm up around 1pm but TLDR: fuck winter in its icy eye-sockets.

I've totally ballsed up my wheel trying to tru it, I went in blind because I couldn't find a G3 pattern wheel truing guide and I can't get it back to a reasonable straightness :(

Anybody got any tips? It'll probably end up costing me £34.99 to get it sorted at the bike shop, the fucking thieves. That price is outrageous. Somebody help me...

Given the headache that is truing, I have no problem giving a bike shop what they need to get it done. That said, there are upper limits.

Took my crank off last night and finally saw why my chain is slipping: the teeth on the 'push' sides of the middle ring are about half as tall as the surrounding teeth. Bah. Now I need to find a new middle ring for a 14-year-old crankset. Yay for bikepedia.

Mascot

Not happy. The biblical rain magically cleared this afternoon, the wind dropped and the sun came out. Was all geared up for a ride this evening but suddenly got hit with a stinging throat and aching joints. It descended on me in a flash. Currently shaking on the sofa with a whisky-laced Lemsip.

SHITBISCUITS!

I never get ill.

gcubed

Hey all, first post in bike-age, its been a while since ive been out on the trails. Its been about 7 - 8 years since i've been on good trails on an MTB and since then i moved from the east coast to the west coast. Live in the middle of some amazing single track so decided to get back into it. Some observations-

1) Holy shit bikes have changed from my last one

2) Single track in the Santa Cruz mountains is not the same as single track on the east coast. Searching around and riding what is called some "beginner" single track is definitely not what i remember as easy from my days out east (near Philadelphia). I missed a sentence in the description of the first ride i took that mentioned there were two -20% grades on the way down... whoops.

3) I need to find some good tips and tricks videos again. so many switch backs, lots of fast downhill, and tons of rocks... all buffered by a steep drop off the mountain. i need to brush up before i die

As good as vids can be, you might want to book a one or two day training course somewhere. I moved on a ridiculous amount that way vs through all the reading and watching I'd been doing.

gcubed

As good as vids can be, you might want to book a one or two day training course somewhere. I moved on a ridiculous amount that way vs through all the reading and watching I'd been doing.

yeah, i'll have to look around. I thought i would have had a bit more leeway in learning but if that trail is what they call beginner, i dont have that much leeway anymore

Anyone have any experience with Gunnar bikes? I was getting one sold to me yesterday at the LBS and it felt great, just want to see if there's anything out there. Thanks.

thomaser

The mtb is on service getting a full overhaul after the car-rack-incident. Probably going to use it a lot during the winter, and let the road bike rest. Winters here aren't road bike-friendly, despite there having been only a minimum of snow the last few years.

Jobiensis

Technically, one of the KOMs was a segment he created and he is the only one on it.

/debbiedowner

I'm more impressed that the elapsed time matches his moving time. 13 hours without a stoplight, flat, or pit stop.

Laekon

I've totally ballsed up my wheel trying to tru it, I went in blind because I couldn't find a G3 pattern wheel truing guide and I can't get it back to a reasonable straightness :(

Anybody got any tips? It'll probably end up costing me £34.99 to get it sorted at the bike shop, the fucking thieves. That price is outrageous. Somebody help me...

To true a wheel well you have to worry about tension, roundness, dish, and trueness. I would recommend bringing it to a shop. If you don't start by backing off tension on every spoke a 1/4 to 1/2 turn to make them all equal (but not loose) and then start again. Just make small turns and remember sometimes making the wheel true isn't the best thing if the tension and roundness is effected.

yeah, i'll have to look around. I thought i would have had a bit more leeway in learning but if that trail is what they call beginner, i dont have that much leeway anymore

Check out one of the local clubs to see if they have skills clinics. Plus there is nothing wrong with walking sections as you learn to ride them. If you live in Santa Cruz there are a variety of trails that aren't that hard in Wilder Ranch though they are hot in the summer.

Finally getting back into riding after getting hit by a car in May. Slow going right now and still need to get a mtn bike.

gcubed

To true a wheel well you have to worry about tension, roundness, dish, and trueness. I would recommend bringing it to a shop. If you don't start by backing off tension on every spoke a 1/4 to 1/2 turn to make them all equal (but not loose) and then start again. Just make small turns and remember sometimes making the wheel true isn't the best thing if the tension and roundness is effected.

Check out one of the local clubs to see if they have skills clinics. Plus there is nothing wrong with walking sections as you learn to ride them. If you live in Santa Cruz there are a variety of trails that aren't that hard in Wilder Ranch though they are hot in the summer.

Finally getting back into riding after getting hit by a car in May. Slow going right now and still need to get a mtn bike.

yup, i'm in HMB but have been looking around at stuff in Santa Cruz. This was my first ride in 10 years...

http://bayarearides.com/rides/whittemore1/

Which was fine except for some pretty steep downhill sections and just getting used to being next to a cliff for good sections of the ride.

Beautiful though...

Top Bottom