• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

Get some decent tyres.

I'm pretty sure it's the tubes. I bought a stack of Specialized ones a while back, allegedly 1.75-2.4 which seems like a stupidly large range to accommodate. I reckon they're stretching too thin to fill my 2.2 tyres. Mind you, the thorns I'm pulling out of them are like sabre tooth tiger teeth. I'm not sure my car tyres would cope. Plus at least three of them have dodgy valves.

Pissed me off today because I cut the return home short because of it. I'd definitely have clocked over fifty miles if I came back along the coast as planned.

Must remember to factor in a half hour of faffing before the next ride. Might store the wheel and tyre in the airing cupboard to make it a bit easier.

I use those exact tubes and I haven't had a puncture in about 600 miles. I've used them in tyres from 2.0 to 2.4 so they should be fine. What PSI are you running them at?

Most punctures I see with thorns are either due to low pressures in the tubes or shitty tyres with very little puncture protection. You'd struggle to get a nail through my High Roller IIs... though they're not exactly light. My missus's Continental Race Kings though... they've never managed more than 20 miles without a puncture.

Forgot to say, XR Mud held up really well against the totally wrecked surfaces I dealt with on the ride... only problem was it really didn't roll that well, and oh dear god you don't want to use it on sand. I was going downhill and still having to pedal like crazy to get anywhere. :D

The first one has aggressive race geometry and the other a more relaxed sportive geometry. You should try similar bikes out at a local store before buying anything, the difference can be quite drastic.

Apparently stack to reach ratio is a good rule of thumb, 1.5 being basic comfortable and getting sportier as you go down. My Bianchi has a str ratio of 1.47, and I don't think I could've gone any lower.

Laekon

I'm pretty sure it's the tubes. I bought a stack of Specialized ones a while back, allegedly 1.75-2.4 which seems like a stupidly large range to accommodate. I reckon they're stretching too thin to fill my 2.2 tyres. Mind you, the thorns I'm pulling out of them are like sabre tooth tiger teeth. I'm not sure my car tyres would cope. Plus at least three of them have dodgy valves.

Pissed me off today because I cut the return home short because of it. I'd definitely have clocked over fifty miles if I came back along the coast as planned.

Must remember to factor in a half hour of faffing before the next ride. Might store the wheel and tyre in the airing cupboard to make it a bit easier.

I use those exact tubes and I haven't had a puncture in about 600 miles. I've used them in tyres from 2.0 to 2.4 so they should be fine. What PSI are you running them at?

Most punctures I see with thorns are either due to low pressures in the tubes or shitty tyres with very little puncture protection. You'd struggle to get a nail through my High Roller IIs... though they're not exactly light. My missus's Continental Race Kings though... they've never managed more than 20 miles without a puncture.

There are only a few factories making bicycle tubes so most brands are the same. Specialized and Giant tubes both come from Kenda.

While you can look for a tire with some type of puncture belt or thicker casing(some but not all High Roller's have that) tubeless is the best option. Tubeless ready snake skin Schwalbes or Maxxis EXO TR tires are both fairly light and seal up well. Alot of the higher end Bontrager and Specialized mtn bike tires are made by Maxxis and so have the same technology. For instance a Specialized Grid 2Bliss tires is almost exactly the same as a Maxxis EXO TR. Unless you get a big cut you won't get a flat.

They do need some maintenance as the sealant can dry out in 6-9 months depending on a few things. Also unless you have a really high volume pump you will likely need an air compressor to get them seated.

Mascot

I run them at pretty high pressures, even in mud. Not sure of the actual PSI but my days of running low pressure tyres is over after damaging too many rims on rocks. If I was just riding on soft stuff I'd drop the pressure a bit but the terrain I ride is too varied.

Could be my tyres I guess (Conti MKIIs). They do seem pretty thin with little protection.

kottila

Did a 30km calm ride as my first bikeride in two months due to generally shitty weather and general tiredness and of course an old hip inflammation comes back. Season is definitely over now, best, and first real season I've had on a bike. I'll be stuck at 3900km on the road (haven't registered my few trainer rides, so it's actually a little over 4000 total) with just above 77000 meters climbed. Great weather this spring and summer, so this year will be hard to beat. (also have close to 600 running kilometers with 30k meters climbed i.e. mostly hills and mountains).

What are the numbers for the rest of bikegaf?

thomaser

What are the numbers for the rest of bikegaf?

Since getting my Garmin in late March: 3164,9 kilometers, 41441 height meters, 86 rides. Average speed 20,6 km/h, average pulse 140 bpm, average pedal frequency 72 pm. 153 hours, 56 minutes. Stats are fun!

Really pleased, since this is my first year of biking actively. Will try to reach 100 rides this year, but it'll be difficult unless I start doing laps around the garage.

1,300 miles,
106 hours,
26,000 feet.

This year hasn't really been a big cycling year for me. Very different focus to 2013, less than half the hours on a bike, and not even a third the altitude (mostly been on the trainer this year).

Huh. I use Fitocracy and they give you badges for events.

bge_cdo_cycle_1.png

Cycle 100 km (62 mi) in your lifetime - Jan 17, 2014

bge_cdo_cycle_2.png

Cycle 1000 km (621 mi) in your lifetime - Apr 15, 2014

bge_cdo_cycle_3.png

Cycle 5000 km (3106 mi) in your lifetime - Oct 7, 2014

Signed up for the service Jan 2nd. Sadly it doesn't go any higher so I won't get any more badges but my odometer says I'm almost at 4k miles for the year.

Norfair

2157 Miles (3471k)
63,104 feet climbed (19234m)

I ended up doing about twice as many miles as last year. I hope to get a few more rides to and from work in but the 11°F (-12°C) mornings aren't doing much to convince me so far.

Jobiensis

I forgot how terrible Garmin's website was. You can get miles and hours from Strava in the training calendar.

Right now
7k miles
400 hours
~280k feet of climbing

Hope to get over 1k more miles before the year is done. I wanted to hit 500k climbing this year, but training for crits killed that, completely fell off the climbing wagon.

Edit: Most important stat 114k Calories. That is a lot of pizza and beer.

Mascot

Didn't you get a bunch of tyres many years ago that you're still using? Could be that the rubber is aging.

Nah, I binned the last of that batch last week. They served me well over the years. Managed 33 muddy miles this afternoon (38 according to Strava - I forgot to end the ride before going out in the car - oops - edit incoming) and it was beautiful out there. The sunset along the coastal path was phenomenal for Wales in the middle of November.

Mascot

I went 33 miles yesterday without a puncture, but it was probably more luck than judgement.

Anyone have any experience with the Schwalbe Marathon Plus?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-plus-mtb-wire-bead-tyre/

Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB Wire Bead Tyre
The most puncture resistant MTB tyre, ever. The SmartGuard layer made from highly elastic, special rubber is particularly strong. It offers permanent resistance to foreign bodies, such as glass shards, or flints. Even a thumbtack cannot penetrate the protective layer.

Bold claims indeed.

They weigh about a kg each for a 1.75 tyre... pass.

Maxxis tyres with EXO will handle just about everything you can throw at them. Though if I was in an area with serious thorns I think I'd consider tubeless.

Mascot

They weigh about a kg each for a 1.75 tyre... pass.

Makes you fitter though - just like running with ankle weights..!

Maxxis tyres with EXO will handle just about everything you can throw at them. Though if I was in an area with serious thorns I think I'd consider tubeless.

I still don't understand how tubeless tyres are supposedly more puncture resistant. A hole is a hole is a hole, right? A thorn penetrating a tubeless tyre will still deflate it, no?

muu

I went 33 miles yesterday without a puncture, but it was probably more luck than judgement.

Anyone have any experience with the Schwalbe Marathon Plus?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-plus-mtb-wire-bead-tyre/

Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB Wire Bead Tyre
The most puncture resistant MTB tyre, ever. The SmartGuard layer made from highly elastic, special rubber is particularly strong. It offers permanent resistance to foreign bodies, such as glass shards, or flints. Even a thumbtack cannot penetrate the protective layer.

Bold claims indeed.

Marathon Pluses are supposed to protect against most goat heads -- I use Durano Plus (the slick tire version of the Marathon) on my fast bike and it's lived up to its claims so far, though I don't live in goathead country anymore. Vittoria Randonneurs are also great tires, I rode through eastern washington ~2000 miles without seeing a flat on them, and this is an area where the aformentioned thorns will eat Gatorskin tires for lunch. They're lightweight relative to the Marathons.

With MTB tires you're probably fine with sealant type tires though, since the tire pressure is low enough for it to work. With road tire pressures they're supposed to create nothing but hot messes on your tire and rim.

Suspension too. Fancy.

If it means my kid is happy and comfortable and isn't hating the experience I'm happy to pay a little more. Considering they upped the regular price by a couple hundred on the 2014 model after Thule bought out Chariot, this was a fantastic deal.

If it means my kid is happy and comfortable and isn't hating the experience I'm happy to pay a little more. Considering they upped the regular price by a couple hundred on the 2014 model after Thule bought out Chariot, this was a fantastic deal.

They're great little bits of kit.

Am in Sweden and Norway at Christmas.... can't tell you how tempted I am to just grab a bike for a couple of days and take in the scenery.

My missus would kill me though. =/

waypoetic

Banned
Am in Sweden and Norway at Christmas.... can't tell you how tempted I am to just grab a bike for a couple of days and take in the scenery.

My missus would kill me though. =/

Where in Norway and where in Sweden will you be staying? I'm norwegian/swedish so Maybe i can give you some sightseeing tips .

Well, the hotels are booked for Stockholm and Oslo, but we're planning on taking daytrips to other places... so, basically I can go as far away as you can go to / get back in one day (Probably three and a half hours by train each way?).

So basically the centre of both countries and no further up, though I'd consider wasting a night of paid hotel if something was really worth seeing further north.

thomaser

Well, the hotels are booked for Stockholm and Oslo, but we're planning on taking daytrips to other places... so, basically I can go as far away as you can go to / get back in one day (Probably three and a half hours by train each way?).

So basically the centre of both countries and no further up, though I'd consider wasting a night of paid hotel if something was really worth seeing further north.

Not anywhere close to me, then. There are many good places for terrain biking around Oslo. Nordmarka is a huge forest with thousands of paths, north of the city. Østmarka (to the east) is another great place to bike. Here's a video from this year's "Terrengsykkelrittet", a popular race in that forest. It won't look like that in December, though, but you could probably hire a fatbike somewhere ;-)

Thanks.

Oh, on a random question, we're travelling from Stockholm to Oslo on the 24th... which as I understand it is basically Christmas day in that part of the world. I'm assuming most places will be closed, but I'll be ok getting a taxi to / from the train station right?

Also, should I wear a Santa hat? :D

thomaser

Thanks.

Oh, on a random question, we're travelling from Stockholm to Oslo on the 24th... which as I understand it is basically Christmas day in that part of the world. I'm assuming most places will be closed, but I'll be ok getting a taxi to / from the train station right?

Also, should I wear a Santa hat? :D

Stores are usually open until 2 pm or so on that day, but some might be open until 4 pm. I don't think getting a taxi should be problematic.

Mascot

Stockholm

Wear blinkers or dark glasses unless you like getting punched by your missus. I worked in Stockholm in another life and have never seen so many drop-dead gorgeous women in one city before. It was absolutely ridiculous in an utterly marvellous and wonderful way. Like some dream that you never want to wake up from. They seemed to vastly outnumber the blokes in the pubs, clubs and restaurants too. Very friendly, as well.

I liked Stockholm a lot, apart from the price of beer.

Laekon

Marathon Pluses are supposed to protect against most goat heads -- I use Durano Plus (the slick tire version of the Marathon) on my fast bike and it's lived up to its claims so far, though I don't live in goathead country anymore. Vittoria Randonneurs are also great tires, I rode through eastern washington ~2000 miles without seeing a flat on them, and this is an area where the aformentioned thorns will eat Gatorskin tires for lunch. They're lightweight relative to the Marathons.

With MTB tires you're probably fine with sealant type tires though, since the tire pressure is low enough for it to work. With road tire pressures they're supposed to create nothing but hot messes on your tire and rim.

You can see from the pictures that the Schwalbe system is just based on a piece of hard rubber foam. It works pretty good on road with a steady contact patch but isn't as great off road.

Who ever told you about road tubeless is wrong. I've used tubeless road for years and love it. You also run lower pressure with them so depending on your weight you can run 23's down to 85 psi. The tires I have now are Hutchinson Secteur 700x28. I was worried about going so wide but there was no decrease in my average speed and they were noticeable smoother then the Maxxis Padrone. I use Stan's for sealant and didn't like the Cafe Latex when I tried it.

You do need tubeless compatible rims and tubeless tires to do road tubeless. I've only used Giant wheels which were made by DT. You also need a compressor as I've never gotten them to seat with a pump.

Mascot

Yay! Another 44 miles yesterday without a puncture, and that included quite a bit of riding alongside hawthorn-edged lanes that had been recently trimmed. I was constantly expecting a puncture though, which is a horrible feeling. I kept imagining I could feel the back end getting sloppy on turns. Definitely need to get some better puncture-resistant tyres. Need to get the confidence back.

On a side note, I had a few run-ins with loose dogs again in the forest. I don't at all mind sharing the trails with dog walkers and horse riders but it's surprising how many dog walkers seem to treat me and my bike with utter contempt. I'll always slow down to walking pace (or even stop) and offer a warm greeting and a smile, but some owners just scowl at me as if I'm trespassing on their land and make no attempt to control their dogs, even when they give chase and try to jam their heads between my spokes or snap at my heels. By contrast horse riders seem universally friendly and appreciative.

My parents (both in their 70s) were out enjoying a walk in some woods earlier in the week when they got mobbed by several large dogs being walked without leads on a rocky slope. Dad was sent flying and has nasty cuts and bruises to his hands and face and suspected broken ribs from the fall. The woman owner was apparently very apologetic but it could have ended a lot worse - Dad went down like a fallen tree according to mum and could have easily cracked his skull.

Yeah, I've had a lot of problems with dogs on the trail (including assholes just letting them shit right in the middle of paths).

I can assure you that I'll barely notice if fluffy finds itself under my 2.4" tyres. I might need my wheels trued if fluffy ends up in my spokes, but I suspect that'll be the worst of it.

Mascot

Yeah, I've had a lot of problems with dogs on the trail (including assholes just letting them shit right in the middle of paths).

I can assure you that I'll barely notice if fluffy finds itself under my 2.4" tyres. I might need my wheels trued if fluffy ends up in my spokes, but I suspect that'll be the worst of it.

I might have mentioned it before but a while ago I was attacked (and that really is the most appropriate word) several times on different occasions by the same dog while riding through the woods. The owner did fuck-all to control the dog on each instance. Lots of young kids walk the woods with their parents and I've no doubt this dog (and its owner) would pose a danger to them.

Unrelated to that. I'm thinking you must be pretty damn fit.

You seem to do quite a bit of mileage off road, and fairly regularly. Gotta mount up, especially miles done in the mud.

Mascot

Unrelated to that. I'm thinking you must be pretty damn fit.

You seem to do quite a bit of mileage off road, and fairly regularly. Gotta mount up, especially miles done in the mud.

I'm not too bad at the moment and managing to stay injury-free. I've been biking as much as possible since last spring after a very lazy (and fattening) winter. I'm lucky that I finish work at 4:30pm (3:30pm on Fridays) so can squeeze a good ride in after work during the whole of BST and generally try to get out at least once at weekends too. When BST ended last month I started taking two afternoons off a week (picking the best weather where possible) to fit two good midweek rides in during daylight. I planned it so I can do this until Christmas. I'll tend to do more weekly mileage in the summer but the muddy winter miles are much better value. There's nothing like sticky mud to get them legs burning..! I'm averaging between 38 and 43 miles on typical rides at the moment but 14 of those are to/from the woods on hilly singletrack, bike paths and lanes, so only about 24-29 miles are properly off-road, and only small sections of that are in proper mud. The trails drain pretty well around here. This is pretty typical terrain when it's wet:

IMG_20141112_135127.jpg

You're right though, it does mount up. On non-biking days I'll do around 90 minutes on the cross trainer (in front of a film so it doesn't feel like work) so I am probably the fittest I've been for decades right now. Well, bike fit, anyway. As a teenager I lived in the Transvaal for three years, about 6,000ft above sea level. I played rugby, swam and ran cross country for the school (sport was done every afternoon and on Saturdays over there, not just in a 'games lesson' once a week like over here) so I basically had three years of quite intense altitude training. When we moved back to the UK living at sea level again I was superhuman compared to the local kids..!

Edit: plus, I've noticed a definite increase in energy levels since having green Nutriblasts for lunch instead of the usual stodgy crap I used to eat. My favourite review of the Nutribullet. (Mine is the newer 900w version. Much better, no leaks, 25,000 rpm, bigger cups).

Mascot

Is that like some sort of a blender, for smoothies? I always wanted to try some of these super shakes people keep telling me about.
Yeah, it's basically a blender that makes all sorts of bold claims about extracting nutrition by breaking through cell walls of foods. If it's only soft fruit smoothies you are after then a £25 smoothie maker will do. This one deals with kale, spinach, nuts, seeds and other tough stuff. The drinks are delicious and incredibly healthy but by blending the ingredients I can make a drink in seconds, drink it and immediately start a ride. No waiting around for lunch to go down.

Top Bottom