• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Moozo

Wouldn't do the MTB event on the island again (at least not outside of the summer), but I might consider doing the road event. I'm actually thinking of doing both of them one weekend. MTB on the Saturday, Road ride on the Sunday. Probably wouldn't push quite as hard on the first ride as I usually do though.

There's a signposted road route which I did this summer. Fairly up and down and it strays disappointingly far from the coastline (it's the round the island route) in a lot of the parts, but from where I started in Chale the final pay-off (climb up, then drop down to Blackgang from Niton as the sun was just getting low) was amazing, and the Military Road is breathtaking. It's about 70 miles all in, some nice pubs on the route.

I have an event this weekend that I absolutely have to finish within four hours or I'm going to miss my train to France after it. For the first time ever I'm going to ride part of the trail on the day before to make sure that it's not too wrecked by mud. If it is, I'm going to have to switch to the easier version of the event and stick some decent tyres on.

Jobiensis

Doing 8848 vertical meters in one ride, by climbing one hill over and over and over (and over) again. Like these guys. Here are the rules. Should help with your climbing skills. If you survive.

Yeah, no thanks. :)

I could see doing a Mulholland Double Century which would probably hit the elevation, but I'm not doing hill repeats all day. That doesn't sound fun at all. I know someone that will do rides on the rollers for over 4 hours, this would be right up his alley. A special breed of 'special' is required for that.

I just did two and a half on the turbo... screw doing four. Three's the most I've ever done and by the end of it I wanted to twist off my own head.

Mascot

I just did two and a half on the turbo... screw doing four. Three's the most I've ever done and by the end of it I wanted to twist off my own head.

Do you watch TV or movies while on it? I do that on the cross trainer and forget I'm exercising after a while. Marathonning a good mini-series works wonders.

Yeah, I watch films / series. The trainerroad stuff is too hard to just switch off though. You're always trying to hit targets which means you can never just zone out / half arse it.

Back from today's ride. Here's my bike in its winter-kit:

15727664610_25008c089d_z.jpg

Swampy area. It has hardened pretty well, and was much easier to ride than two weeks ago. But I managed to somehow fall over and lose my back tire (!) right after taking this photo. Must have been careless when tightening the bolt after changing tires. Won't do THAT mistake again, it could have gone so much worse if it happened five minutes later.

15729208407_277b1bb3db_z.jpg

This road is a bitch to go up. But fun to go down, as I did today!

15912980891_4b848fbab5_z.jpg

Edit: the new tires were really good. But the best thing was my new waterproof tights. They made the ride so much more comfortable than I'm used to. It started snowing up there, but I didn't feel it at all.

Which garmin computer do you use? Do you like it?

thomaser

Which garmin computer do you use? Do you like it?

It's a Garmin Edge 510. It's a nice piece of kit, and lasts all day in all kinds of weather. I've used it in blistering heat, rainstorms and snow, and it never stops working. Longest ride I've been on was over 7 hours, and the 510 still had plenty of juice left. Perfect for registering your rides for later upload to Garmin Connect and Strava.

The screen is mostly ok, but can be hard to see under some light conditions. I'm also having some trouble setting up the info on the screen the way I want it, but that's probably just me being dense.

I dream of an Edge 1000, though, for the better, larger screen and built-in maps. But that probably comes with a hefty penalty on battery longevity.

One of the big screen options will be my next purchase (Probably the Bryton Rider 60E). Then I can get back to the more interesting looking cross country stuff.

It's a Garmin Edge 510. It's a nice piece of kit, and lasts all day in all kinds of weather. I've used it in blistering heat, rainstorms and snow, and it never stops working. Longest ride I've been on was over 7 hours, and the 510 still had plenty of juice left. Perfect for registering your rides for later upload to Garmin Connect and Strava.

The screen is mostly ok, but can be hard to see under some light conditions. I'm also having some trouble setting up the info on the screen the way I want it, but that's probably just me being dense.

I dream of an Edge 1000, though, for the better, larger screen and built-in maps. But that probably comes with a hefty penalty on battery longevity.

Just put through an order for an edge 810. I'll post details as I use it. Training for a 300 mile weekend in April and and 500 mile week in September. :)

It's funny you should say that. I know a couple of women that go to the gym three times a week and do the same (completely worthless) exercise every time, barely increasing their heart rates whilst they watch some crappy soap on TV.

They might as well have saved those two hours to do something enjoyable.

Speaking of fun, I just spent my tax return on some sweet Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro Evolution Soccers.

Can't wait for proper winter (now watch it never arrive)!

Finally reached my distance target of 4000 for the year.

4001 miles, 244,859ft

I'm going to try that elevation gain thingy at the weekend if it's dry, I've picked my hill today, 890ft, just over ten minutes to climb.

Ahh, but that's so that I can actually enjoy my rides rather than feeling like someone has stuck knives through my legs. You nutters wear that agony like a badge of honour.

You're crossfitters, in lycra. :p

Ugh, that was a horrible session. Sweated so much that I could literally wring my top out. Problem with training in the winter is that it's too cold to turn on my fan (out in unheated garage) which means I sweat like crazy, but still freeze.

jts

...hate me...
Just ordered my Ice Spikers Pro as well. Under a hundo delivered. I think it will pay off brilliantly. Even today I could find ice on the road.

It reads that they can be installed tubeless so I was looking into it, but it seems like your rims have to be special for it? Or at least converted. So I just won't bother.

Mascot

Preach on, brother. I hate freezing my ass off when I'm sweating on the trainer.
It's a perennial problem with winter mountain biking for me. The ride along the coast to/from the woods is freezing but the woods are much warmer. I cook when doing slower-speed circuits without the wind chill factor. I really need a locker in the woods to shed some layers when I get there. Might try hiding a metal box deep in the trees one day.

thomaser

I really need a locker in the woods to shed some layers when I get there.

How many layers do you guys wear on cold days? On my last ride, I had a normal bike jersey, a fairly thick training jacket, a thin wind jacket and a thin rain jacket. On my legs, woolen leggings and waterproof tights. Also, neoprene shoe covers, gloves and a buff-like thingy around my throat. Wasn't bothered by the cold (below 0 Celsius at times) and wet, except for at my temples. It was too hot when sweating a lot, though, as on the longer uphills.

I tend to only go with long sleeve + base layer as I heat up massively from cycling. However, I've only ever really done sub zero a couple of times.

How many layers do you guys wear on cold days? On my last ride, I had a normal bike jersey, a fairly thick training jacket, a thin wind jacket and a thin rain jacket. On my legs, woolen leggings and waterproof tights. Also, neoprene shoe covers, gloves and a buff-like thingy around my throat. Wasn't bothered by the cold (below 0 Celsius at times) and wet, except for at my temples. It was too hot when sweating a lot, though, as on the longer uphills.

+5C to 0C:

long tights
wind stopping trousers
base layer shirt (short or long sleeved based on weather)
long sleeved technical shirt
thin soft shell jacket
basic five tens with random old crappy sports socks

Also most importantly: wrist warmers, wind breaker gloves, tube scarf and a skullcap that covers the ears.

The lowest I've gone is -5C, it was as above but bib tights to cover the small of the back, and thin cotton undergloves to insulate the windbreakers. A thicker cap would've been nice.

Mascot

I've stripped the padding out of one of my helmets so that I can wear a thick fleece skull cap underneath. Keeps the ears lovely and toasty..!

I went up a technical hill today, in the mud, twice as fast as I'd managed on the very same hill back in July, in bright sunshine. Quite proud of that. Also managed the fourth fastest time in the event. Would have been 2nd but I had to wait to let a couple of people come down a hill as they were really struggling with traction.

Edit - That's looks like a turbo trainer that uses a fan blade for resistance. There are a few out there.

Jobiensis

Edit - That's looks like a turbo trainer that uses a fan blade for resistance. There are a few out there.

Yeah, like a Lemond Direct Drive. Have thought a little about getting one, because there is a lost half second or so of power due to slippage on 15s or 30s intervals (not to mention tire wear and having to switch skewers). But too expensive and I hate trainers.

Mascot

I feel all dirty. Just got back from a sub-zero 45-miler wearing Savilepants* and... they were REALLY comfortable. Hopefully none of my alpha male MTB buddies like Chuck, Brad, Hank, Zak or Dude saw me otherwise I'll be thrown out of the He-Man Club. Also of great success was a new Nike compression base layer. Need to buy a few more of those, methinks.

*long-legged bibs.

Mascot

I hear it's a free for all down there as far as chamois cream goes. But I wouldn't know, being a burly mountain biker.

Yeah, I draw a firm line at bibs. Applying lube as well is getting seriously close to going full-Jimmy. I normally shove a handful of thumb tacks down there to liven things up a bit.

Agreed. They just need hiding under cargo shorts and a surf teeshirt so that your religion isn't advertised and the local kids don't get traumatised.

I do this. I have a nice button up plaid shirt that wicks moisture really well. I will wear those and a pair of somewhat baggy hiking shorts.

6077_02_d.jpg

That is a godsend for a large guy like me.

Why did they have to make it flesh coloured and with highlights for extra realism?

In other news, I'm edging ever closer to a 20km/h average on my gravel grinding mtb commute. At 18km/h on good days now. Might not sound much, but for me it's pretty great.

thomaser

So who's getting these? Mascot's getting these.

Lenz-vinterstoermper_650px.jpg

Lenz rcB 1200 winter-socks for cyclists. Built-in heating powered by Li-ion batteries. Remote-controlled (of course) via bluetooth with an app that lets you change between 42, 52 and 60 degrees Celsius. Lowest setting gives heat for up to 14 hours. Perfect for all those super-long rides on extremely cold winter days! Yours for only approximately $348.85/£222 per pair.

Top Bottom