• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

Just got invited to my first filthy roadie event.

http://www.velothon-wales.co.uk/en/the-event/event-info/

Tempted. Is it normal for there to be so many riders though? 15k seems insane. I'm used to off road stuff topping out at about a thousand, and even that seems busy.

Don't do it, mate. It's a trap.

Velothon Wales is the latest event in the global UCI Velothon Majors series – an international cycling series with events taking place in the most iconic cities around the world. All events are delivered to the highest possible organisational standards and welcome some of the world’s top teams and riders as part of the UCI sanctioned professional cycling race.

Wales has been selected as a host city for a Velothon Majors Series event as a result of the surge in popularity the sport of cycling has witnessed over the last few years, as well as the provision for two truly stunning routes.

Oh my.

WQZKgJx.jpg

waypoetic

Banned
Can't cycle in the cold & rain? That's when the real fun begins.
;P

Don't really feel like fighting the cold and shitty weather here on the west coast of Sweden. A new bike, a cross for that matter, nah... Weightlifting and videogames, that's what i'm doing this winter ;)

thomaser

Can't cycle in the cold & rain? That's when the real fun begins.
;P

Well, it's true. It is quite fun to cycle in dire weather. Makes you feel badass. 40 km in sunny, dry weather? That's nothing. 40 km in pouring rain and 5 degrees? You're a warrior accomplishing a FEAT. And there's that feeling when you finally get home, get out of the wet clothes, shower and plop down with something warm to drink... oh man, that's good.

Mascot

Well, it's true. It is quite fun to cycle in dire weather. Makes you feel badass. 40 km in sunny, dry weather? That's nothing. 40 km in pouring rain and 5 degrees? You're a warrior accomplishing a FEAT. And there's that feeling when you finally get home, get out of the wet clothes, shower and plop down with something warm to drink... oh man, that's good.

I know exactly what you mean. The hardest part is looking out of the window before you go and talking yourself into it. Once you are out there it's a lot of fun. An added bonus is that the bike gets home a lot cleaner than it does after a mud-run in dry weather.

If I've learned one thing over the years it's that, no matter how reluctant I might feel about going on a ride beforehand, once I'm out there I always, always have a thoroughly good time.

goglibody

Hey, anyone from NYCBikeGaf doing the pre-NYC marathon route? For an hour and a half the course is set up, meaning cross-streets are cordoned off, but the main route is open to bike traffic. Bunch of people did it last year.

I'm on the fence about it. Seems like it might be fun, would be a good opportunity for a meet-up if anyone else is interested.

Mascot

Man, the woods are looking beautiful right now - it's a carpet of gold, red and brown leaves wherever you look. Did thirty miles around the trails there this morning and didn't want to leave. Shorts and teeshirt in November too - amazing weather. Some pics from earlier:

IMG_20141101_112309.jpg

IMG_20141101_104945.jpg

IMG_20141101_112105.jpg

thomaser

Looks amazing, Mascot! I wish I had a forest like that nearby. The ones that are here are just too overgrown and impenetrable, so I have to always stay on the same old paths and tractor roads.

Mascot

Looks amazing, Mascot! I wish I had a forest like that nearby. The ones that are here are just too overgrown and impenetrable, so I have to always stay on the same old paths and tractor roads.

Yeah, we are very lucky around here. These particular woods are very extensive and have pretty much everything - there's even a large disused quarry on one side to mix up the terrain even more with some really technical descents and fast rocky areas. The woods are only three miles from home, too, with a nice cycle through the local castle and up a cycle path to get there. There's even more groups of woods in the surrounding countryside (note to self: do more exploring) and Cwmcarn, Bike Park Wales, Leigh Woods, The Forest of Dean, and the Plantation half an hour away by car.

It's rude NOT to own a mountain bike around here, but you do still get the occasional day-glo Saviles dirtying up the place.
:p

Mascot

There was a piece about the dangers of cycling in city centres this morning on BBC Beakfast News which included Chris Boardman and one of the female presenters biking around Manchester. The BBC woman was kitted out in full cycling gear including hi-viz jacket and helmet, but Chris Boardman was just wearing jeans, a black top, leather shoes and no safety gear at all, including helmet. Obviously anticipating a shit-storm of gargantuan proportions, after the piece the presenter back at the studio stated that Chris Boardman wasn't wearing a helmet because "he chooses not to". Fair enough I guess, but it came across as pretty odd during a piece about safe cycling. Based on what else he was wearing (especially the leather shoes) I'm guessing he didn't think he was going to be riding a bike when he turned up, and probably just thought he was there to be interviewed.

Edit: there's an article on the BBC website here.

There was a huge deluge on the way back from work, wind and all. Felt like the bike was sliding backwards between pedal strokes. There's probably no grease left anywhere on the chain, gotta relube before going to ride next time. I think the only thing that wasn't soaked was my five tens, they're magical like that.

Mascot

There was a huge deluge on the way back from work, wind and all. Felt like the bike was sliding backwards between pedal strokes. There's probably no grease left anywhere on the chain, gotta relube before going to ride next time. I think the only thing that wasn't soaked was my five tens, they're magical like that.
Had a ride like that myself today. Left the house in dry sun then the skies opened and stayed that way for the next three hours. Bloody freezing too!

Cheap turbo trainer here: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/blue-motion-pro-pack-turbo-trainer-id_8315768.html

Mascot

Bought a Scott Stego helmet a while ago but the fit was bloody awful. Not comfortable at all and it sits very high on the head. Couldn't get on with it at all. Anyway, spotted a deal on CRC where the Urge All Mountain was on offer from £100 (okay, you can get them for £80 at most retailers) down to £36 delivered. It's bloody brilliant! Easily the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn and I love the quirky styling. I was so impressed I ordered another one in white/black (the first was black/red as per the photo below) to keep as a spare or for night riding. Came with a drawstring bag and (best of all) a big sheet of stickers too.

The offer is still on at Chain Reaction if anyone needs a helmet, and the extra 10% off (code: EXTEN) is still on until tomorrow. Loads of colour combos. Worldwide shipping.

Mascot

I think my next one is going to have MIPS or other such rotational force absorption.

Yeah, my Stego has MIPS but I'm not convinced that the system isn't a gimmicky excuse to stick £50 on the helmet price. The helmet will slide/rotate on the head under the same conditions where MIPS kicks in, and if the helmet already has a smooth, shiny surface then it'll slide by itself too. This is another reason I like the Urge.

This article makes interesting reading: MIPS and sliding resistance of bicycle helmets

lemond-washoe-bike_h.jpg

I really want one of these. I work in Portland and ride an old Lemond so it's a good confluence for me.The price however...I'd honestly have to get the frame and use the Ultegra components I already have.

Cush

Does anyone have suggestions for cold weather accessories? In particular, gloves, ear muffs, and sunglasses? Right now I'm using 180 ear muffs but they don't stay on well around the helmet. And then I have to slide the sunglasses under them and it really doesn't work well. Also, when it's really cold, the sunglasses freeze against my face -- it's very unpleasant. I would try a skullcap or headband for my ears except my helmet is a pretty tight fit, so I'm not sure one would fit under. And then I'm not sure what I would do about keeping my sunglasses on. Any thoughts?

I never tuck my sunglasses in under anything. I've had some bad experiences when crashing, and if you ever want to take them off it makes it far more difficult when you're on the move.

I don't think I'd ever consider using ear muffs, but I've used buffs before ( http://www.buffusa.com/sports/ ).

Gloves are easy, just get the best windproof ones you can afford for when it's dry (I like gore stuff), and the best waterproof ones for when it's wet. Bikeradar.com is good for reviews.

Cush

Thanks for the suggestions! So, for sunglasses, the ones I have need to be over my ears else they'll fall off. Do you have ones that sort of clamp around your head? Also, have you had issues with the glasses getting so cold that they sting your face? That happens to me when the temperature's in the teens. I suppose I could get a balaclava, but then I'd probably also need a new helmet.

Not sure what you mean by over the ears to be honest. Mine sit over my helmet straps and on top of my ears (but in the groove between the top of my ear and my head). I've never had a problem with glasses getting too cold, even in minus temperatures. Are you wearing metal sunglasses?

Mascot

I wear a lycra skull cap under my helmet in freezing weather. It's thin enough not to affect helmet fit but stops wind chill through the vents, plus it covers my ears and neck. Couple it with a snood for the throat and I'm good to go.

Never had glasses stick to my face before. How odd!

waypoetic

Banned
I'm definitely getting the Evade from Specialized. I have the Propero 2 now but I need a faster helmet for the races I'ma be doing next year.

robox

i'm in need of a new bike and trying to decide between getting new vs used.
new will cost more, but there'll be a bit of that intangible "it's all mine" feeling to it.
with used, i'm limited by what's available at the time and there's more hassle to the process

I'd like one of those new Bell helmets with a detachable chin bar. I usually ride real slow, but there are some gnarly descents that I don't feel comfortable riding without face protection.

Also, there was a bunch of sleet today, but it's melted already. Couldn't ride because of work (bah), but I've a cunning plan: turnips. I will wake super early tomorrow and go for a morning ride before the day starts.

Cush

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

As to question of the sunglasses, take a look at these two pictures: http://imgur.com/a/cO7yM#0

In the first picture, the sunglasses are resting in grooves over the guy's ears. In the second picture, the headband covers the "ear grooves". Do you tuck the sunglasses under the headband or wear the sunglasses outside the headband? If the latter, how do the sunglasses stay on if they have nothing to rest on?

I believe I've had issues with both metal and plastic/rubber frames in the cold. But since this scenario seems odd to you guys, maybe I'll try getting a new pair of sunglasses. I'm due a new pair anyway.

I've never worn that sort of a headband, I can't imagine ever needing to to be honest, but I'd guess you basically have no choice but to tuck the arms in (I imagine that would be quite uncomfortable).

Personally I'd go with straps at that point.

Cush

When I'm biking and the temperature's in the teens, I need something good to cover my ears. I'm currently using 180 ear muffs and they're very awkward especially when I also have sunglasses on. I'm going to look into some of the other options mentioned here. Hopefully I can make something work.

Mascot

Upgrading some stuff for next season. It's either the Evade or one of the newer aero helmets from Giro, not 100% sure yet. I'm also getting the Ultegra carbon pedals, a new stem and a carbon seat post.

Those long aero tails on some of these Savile helmets apparently aren't too clever in a crash. I guess they can induce a neck twist depending on impact.

Plus - don't they look a little silly..?
:p

Mascot

A: What the fuck am I still doing up at 2:45am when I've got a 7am ride in the Forest of Dean?
B: What the fuck am I doing having a 7am ride in the Forest of Dean when it's been raining biblically for the past eight hours?

Answers on a postcard please because I have no fucking idea apart from 'biker'.

for neck, face and ear protection in cold weather cycling get an x-ports neoprene mask off ebay.

$_35.JPG

you can still use over the ear glasses without them falling off (road cycling) never tried off road.

essential piece of winter cycling kit, imo.

Cush

for neck, face and ear protection in cold weather cycling get an x-ports neoprene mask off ebay.

you can still use over the ear glasses without them falling off (road cycling) never tried off road.

essential piece of winter cycling kit, imo.

Oh cool, that looks nice. I just got one off eBay for less than $3 -- if it works for me, that will be a very nice investment.

Mascot

Savile helmets?

Roadie helmets.

Bah! I'm on my last set of Vetta Kaos Theory tyres (I bought a bunch of them about 25 years ago and have been ploughing through them ever since).

IMG_20141109_101434.jpg

Problem is, the rubber has started delaminating from the ply.

IMG_20141109_101231.jpg

I guess this is to be expected after such a long time but Goddammit, these are without question the best mud tyres I've ever used. Traction in the wet stuff is unparalleled. They don't sell them any more so does anyone know if there's a modern-day close match for this compound and tread pattern? I'm back on my stock Bontragers that were on the bike when I bought it and had to abandon most of the off-roading today because the traction is abysmal by comparison.

Did some exploring instead and came across this place. Didn't even know it was there, but it does explain the distant gunshots and explosions I can sometimes hear if the wind is in the right direction.

2s19lKr-zswd_SOZ74k9tjf9_2BCn6U7sYujAfRWlZ4=w457-h609-no

Top Bottom