• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

kottila

The science has proven that's there's very little in it. In fact, in one recent test that was done, the cyclist being tested actually averaged a couple of percent more distance on flats than they did using SPDs.

There are other reasons to use them, but I wouldn't make power your primary one.

I use them so I can pretend I know how to bunny hop

What's all this healthy shit?

...Mascot, you make a better roadie than a mountain biker. Hang your head in shame! Pre ride healthy smoothie indeed. Make sure you get your post ride massage in!

Don't worry, we will accept Jakonovski. We will send the support car up to swap out his bike and give him the password to get into the post-ride spa.

Psychotext: What do you call a mountain biker without a girlfriend?

Homeless!
:D

Bike GAF help!

I am thinking about installing these along the greenway in my small town..

fixit-glamour-shot-crop.jpg

This will be my first project in town government, and want to make sure I am not about to make a fool out of myself.

Here are the details on the stations.

We would be adding the nice pump to the stations as well. Thoughts?

A curved fork doesn't necessarily put the wheel out any further than a straight fork. The offset on a straight fork is done at the crown instead of along the legs. Unless it's some silly track fixie bike you would have to find a touring bike fork to get a longer wheelbase. It will effect how your bike handles and make the steering slower.

Umm...it is.

swobo-del-norte-04-600x428.jpg

It's a fixer-upper I found and I'm wanting to use it for riding to work in the winter. So far I think I need to change out the drops (track drops are uncomfortable to commute with) or get a shorter stem.
I bought a smoothie machine and joined the healthy club. Haven't got into any arcane concoctions yet, just some veggies, fruits, berries and yogurt. Tastes great and helps digestion, but not feeling like superman yet. In realistic terms I'm hoping to ditch sugary breakfast products in favour of this.

How quiet is it? I have a new blender (the will it blend one) and it sounds like a helicopter landing in my kitchen. Alright for an afternoon smoothie but morning - which starts at 4:30 am - not so much.

Bike GAF help!

I am thinking about installing these along the greenway in my small town..

fixit-glamour-shot-crop.jpg

This will be my first project in town government, and want to make sure I am not about to make a fool out of myself.

Here are the details on the stations.

We would be adding the nice pump to the stations as well. Thoughts?

I believe my apartment building has the same one. Well it looks Identical to me but there may be some minor differences. Some people have clipped and ran off with the tools a couple times and the pump had to be replaced once. This has happened in about a year.

But tbh, I still think it's worth it as I've made use of it quite a few times so I appreciate that my building put it in. I live in Portland which has a lot of bike theft and meth guys taking stuff all the time. If you're in a smaller town with less theft it might work even better for you.

How quiet is it? I have a new blender (the will it blend one) and it sounds like a helicopter landing in my kitchen. Alright for an afternoon smoothie but morning - which starts at 4:30 am - not so much.

It sounds like a power drill digging into concrete until all the ingredients are smooshed, after that it's not so bad. I solve the problem by not giving a crap. But then again we don't have kids and the neighbours are either hard of hearing or way crazier than us.

Mascot

What's all this healthy shit?

...Mascot, you make a better roadie than a mountain biker. Hang your head in shame! Pre ride healthy smoothie indeed. Make sure you get your post ride massage in!

I know there's a danger of going all Jimmy with stuff like this, but it does work. Did the Twrch at Cwmcarn this afternoon at full whack (left it late and was racing the daylight) then got home and did 90 mins on the cross trainer. The power of spinach!

Now have a litre of Amstel at my elbow by way of balance.

(I did have a massage though).

SummitAve

Banned
Any recommendations for a budget/reasonably priced bike trainer? Seems there's a whole bunch on amazon that all seem the same. I'm looking for something that will provide some resistance for a single speed bike, and is quiet enough for an apartment.

Mascot

I had Subway for lunch to compensate for all the healthiness.

In other news, I'm starting to think I need to try spd's on the mtb too. My quest for more average speed demands it. I've also started pedaling hills standing up to work on those muscles, whatever they may be.

Feels weird to me when I'm not clipped in. It doesn't feel safe. The biggest advantage is sharing the load across the push and the pull muscles though.

Feels weird to me when I'm not clipped in. It doesn't feel safe. The biggest advantage is sharing the load across the push and the pull muscles though.

Very few, if any, cyclists actually pull up on the pedals. That said, it is a great thing for locking in your bike fit and reducing lateral strain on your knees and creating a slightly more efficient pedal stroke.

I'm trying to get better at pedaling so I do. I was reading that it's not so much about the pushing as the motion and I've found initially that it's very true. I can go faster and my feet and knees don't hurt as much. Granted my muscles aren't ready for it just yet so it doesn't last very long but I have a few months until I start riding in earnest again.

Funny, for me the feeling of safety is the other way around. But that's probably because my short pre-winter ride time with the spd jimmy wasn't enough to make me used to unclipping in anger.

It's funny you mention 'safe', because I feel the same way as Mascot: If I'm not clipped in, I feel like my feet are going to fall off the pedals. Especially my right.

An accurate visual representation of how it feels before I'm fully clipped in:
forrest-gump-o.gif

I'm trying to get better at pedaling so I do. I was reading that it's not so much about the pushing as the motion and I've found initially that it's very true. I can go faster and my feet and knees don't hurt as much. Granted my muscles aren't ready for it just yet so it doesn't last very long but I have a few months until I start riding in earnest again.

Oddly enough, I find cycling unclipped to be much better for improving pedalling form. I got to the point where I can cycle one legged unclipped... which I was pretty pleased about. :)

Having said all that malarkey about spd's, I'm not going to give up flats until I can bunny hop reliably with them. Might try spd's out to see if I can squeeze out some speed, but that's it.

edit: and I see I'm getting google ads for Genesis steel crossers. Anyone spot me a grand?

Jobiensis

I think it is more about the pull through the bottom and push over the top, than literal pulling up on the pedals. That is where most of my power comes from at least. I'll pull up when I'm doing a steep climb at lower cadence (where my weight will keep the rear wheel down), but those are relatively low power. You can't sprint effectively without having your feet strapped down in some manner.

I signed up for the death ride. Should be fun, most of what I've heard it will be some nice climbing, nothing too steep.

Also, I don't do Smoothies, so Mascot is more of a Saville than me.

jts

...hate me...
I have been having a pain on my left wrist that I think it can be linked to my fall on ice 3 weeks ago or so.

It's hard for me to think that it's fractured because I imagine I'd be in a lot more pain. Basically, it hurts if I press against my lower palm. It's a distinct bone pain.

Today I fell on that hand again playing football and it hurt. Oh it did. But then again, it's not excruciating pain.

I will have this checked if it doesn't go away soon, still, I guess it should be fairly common to fall on your hand when biking so maybe you experienced bikers with some falls on the repertoire can chime in about it?

I'm jts. For reasons I have a different nickname now.

Hand pain that's cycling related is almost always nerve pressure / damage. However, if you're saying that it's bone related it could be that the impact chipped the bone a little, that happens. Also maybe a "bone bruise".

Today's manly mtb smoothie was yogurt, a carrot, spinach, frozen mango and a couple of para nuts. Came out a bit thick, must put in some milk whenever carrots are used. Tasty anyway!

Mascot

Today's manly mtb smoothie was yogurt, a carrot, spinach, frozen mango and a couple of para nuts. Came out a bit thick, must put in some milk whenever carrots are used. Tasty anyway!
Sounds testosteronetastic!
Mine is kale, cucumber, pineapple, raspberries, blueberries, cashews, Greek yogurt and milk.
It's packed with so much power I'll be farting sparks in the woods all afternoon.

City services are spewing sharp gravel everywhere to prevent potential ice slippages and it goes through a tire like a hot knife through butter. I heard a sharp hiss and found an arrow shaped pebble in my back tire today. Went ahead and bought a floor pump and some inner tubes for work, because god dammit.

I have to put on the ISPs ASAP, they at least have some kind of puncture protection. I'd much rather glue on new studs than replace inners. Gonna take the wheels off and hose the whole thing clean, then wash it with a sponge.

Bike GAF help!

I am thinking about installing these along the greenway in my small town...
Seems like a nice idea, but like the other poster said, expect to have bits stolen as a bolt cutter will go through those cables like a hot knife through butter.

Assuming that's taken into consideration (and also assuming that people know what they are / how to use them), they seem like a really good idea.

You want lumens? I'll give you some lumens.

JP-20141209-trailled-DSC_7342.jpg

Halo
•Price: $1,119
•Light weight: 190 grams
•Battery weight: Battery 570 grams
•Runtime: two hours at 6,000 lumens, four hours at 4,000 lumens, 38 hours at 600 lumens.

Runtimes and battery charge times (one and a half to two hours) are pretty spot on. I did not test the lowest, longest lumen runtimes because I have better things to do with my day.
http://dirtragmag.com/review-trailled-halo-ds-and-xxx-lights/

thomaser

Wow, that's what, three times as powerful as a car's headlights?

I got a helmet-light for my birthday last weekend, and it has mighty 250 lumens! It won't cast my shadow onto the moon, but it has a nifty sensor that lets me turn it off or on by just waving in front of it. Nice when meeting cars. Will use it together with the 1500 lumen light on the handlebar. Just waiting for the Christmas-chaos at work to roll past, so I can get time to ride again.

Since you guys are talking about lights, does anyone have a good recomendation for headlights? I will be riding in the city, so the light is mostly needed for other cars to see me ( not visibility ). I'd prefer something that is usb chargeable, decent battery life, and not a bazillion dollars. Thanks

Mascot

Had this happen out in the sticks nine miles from home yesterday:

The tyre exploded with a loud BANG! Never had that happen before. I was expecting a l-o-n-g walk home but swapped the tube out, semi-inflated it and managed to limp back home at 7mph. The tube was bulging out of the gash and hitting the rear triangle with every revolution and I was wobbling all over the place like Chesty Morgan's jugs in a star-jump competition. I took a shortcut home along the bypass and only God knows how I wasn't side-swiped by a truck driver.

Ever seen a tyre with a hernia before? It was a lot worse while cycling with my added weight. Looked like the frank 'n' beans scene from There's Something About Mary.

Norfair

Since you guys are talking about lights, does anyone have a good recomendation for headlights? I will be riding in the city, so the light is mostly needed for other cars to see me ( not visibility ). I'd prefer something that is usb chargeable, decent battery life, and not a bazillion dollars. Thanks

Somebody in this thread recommended this for a headlight and this for a tail light. They've both worked out well for me this year.

I don't know, that's an odd place for it to fail due to a rock strike. The rim would have mostly protected the bit it ripped on.

Future reference. Maxxis / Schwalbe or Bontrager. :)

Mascot

I don't know, that's an odd place for it to fail due to a rock strike. The rim would have mostly protected the bit it ripped on.

Future reference. Maxxis / Schwalbe or Bontrager. :)

Agreed, it's a very odd location. I've emailed Wiggle to get their thoughts.
I've got a set of Bontragers for summer use but they are useless in mud.
How are you getting on with those High Rollers? With the best will in the world my brain won't allow me to spend £50 on a single tyre.

High Rollers are horrible in mud. You basically want Specialized Storm Control, Maxxis Beaver, Bontrager Mud X or Michelin Wild Mud. Bontrager XR4s are really good for all round conditions too.

jts

...hate me...
Bike Fixing Adventures™ are just about to start again for me.

I left my bike back in Finland, and I will not be there for a month, but I don't necessarily have to put a pause on my bike riding.

I forgot I had my friend's MTB in the garage (I borrowed it long time ago before I bought mine and he wanted me to keep it with me until he needs it). It's just old. And a bit crappy... and the derailleur came off from the frame and my sister lost the screws :/

Whatever you pick for bike lights, I'd suggest you go for something that flashes (even if it's alongside one that doesn't). Far, far easier to see bikes that do that, mostly because as drivers we learn to tune out normal lights to a certain extent.

Norfair

Whatever you pick for bike lights, I'd suggest you go for something that flashes (even if it's alongside one that doesn't). Far, far easier to see bikes that do that, mostly because as drivers we learn to tune out normal lights to a certain extent.

also, something that's easy to remove. because when you're parked and away from the bike, it may get jacked.

The one I linked does both of these.

30-80 for a rear light?

these phaart bleep rear lights @ 4.99 each are superb:

LIPHBPDRL_P1.jpg

They're very bright, will make your eyes sting if you look directly at it, highly recommended.

Top Bottom