• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Since nobody's posting, I'm going to ask about a nascent idea of mine.

Single speed cyclocross bikes that are cheap. Where does one begin to look. Even just a frame is ok.

There are tons of CX frame makers... but they tend to be just that, bare frames. Singlespeed CX is a little niche for many people to provide it.

Unrelated, how many UK mountain bikers are here. Is it just Mascot and I?

Probably a newb question but I'm having a brain fart at the moment: The SS bike that I'm working on has a straight fork and when I turn and pedal my toes hit the wheel. If I get a slightly curved fork, would that fix the issue or am I just going to have to suck it up?

for jakonovski: SS Cyclocross Bike

Probably a newb question but I'm having a brain fart at the moment: The SS bike that I'm working on has a straight fork and when I turn and pedal my toes hit the wheel. If I get a slightly curved fork, would that fix the issue or am I just going to have to suck it up?
More curve, more toe clearance. You'll actually want to do the maths on the geometry before buying though.

Well, if you have the degree of curvature, and the length of the legs, then you'll get the additional spacing and know if it's enough for your needs. You could also change your crank arm length... which could be enough of a difference.

Realistically either would likely be enough (and don't forget, you only really need to worry about overlap on slow speed turns where you're using the handlebars rather than leaning).

jts

...hate me...
So I got my Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pros.

Of course I had to fuck up the installation.

Broke my tire pump. And all the other pumps here don't seem compatible (they don't press the release valve or whatever it is called).

And to put back the back wheel on the bike is just a nightmare. Again. I have NO idea how one time I was able to do it on the road, I even replaced my inner tube all this with no knowledge and no tools.

At the comfort of the home this is the second time I need to put the back wheel on and both times it was nightmarish.

There's even a loop on the chain that I have no idea where it came from. I probably messed up the position of the deraileur. Rotated it wrong or something. The whole thing looks like a puzzle.

I will probably put back the wheel unchained and leave the bike be, as I'm leaving for christmas for 2 or 3 weeks anyway.

Is there a way to start from zero putting this back together?

jts

...hate me...
Well, whatever I was doing I just gave up. I googled it and some people get these chain loops accidentally when servicing their bikes and those don't really seem easy to fix unless you have a chain tool, which I don't.

No more biking for me until 2015 when I return. Then I'll take it to the repair shop, I'm sure the guy will fix it quickly and inexpensively (I hope).

I will also take the occasion to test the ISPs, because 1) I couldn't even ride the bike with them now and 2) the temperatures are not so harsh right now that I could find ice, but I'm sure that in January a different tune will play.

Btw. When changing the tires I noticed this blue band on the rims.

Are my rims already ghetto-converted to be tubeless-ready?

2o2undC.jpg

edit: just googled it as well and it's just an inner tube protection. Gosh, you can really tell that I just got into this hobby this year :p

I think the rim has pokey bits where the spokes go and the tape makes sure they don't puncture the inner tube.

Also you make me slightly apprehensive about the prospect of installing my ISPs. Maybe if I have a few beers while installing them...?

You literally can't have fucked up your chain without a chain tool. You're likely just putting your wheel on incorrectly. Any "loop" that you have can be unlooped, provided you didn't unlink your chain / relink it wrong.

That's just basic mechanics.

jts

...hate me...
I think the rim has pokey bits where the spokes go and the tape makes sure they don't puncture the inner tube.

Also you make me slightly apprehensive about the prospect of installing my ISPs. Maybe if I have a few beers while installing them...?

Well a couple of beers just make about everything better, so I advise you to.

But if you have any experience removing and putting back a rear wheel you shouldn't be facing any problems. The tire removal and install in itself was fairly easy and straightforward. Even for me... I am surprised how I didn't set them on fire somehow though. I'm just too clumsy. My posts in the last few pages read like a "Homer Simpson tries to fix a bike" episode. Hah. I'll try to make my posts in 2015 more about biking itself and not just "HALP I screwed up my bike again".
You literally can't have fucked up your chain without a chain tool. You're likely just putting your wheel on incorrectly. Any "loop" that you have can be unlooped, provided you didn't unlink your chain / relink it wrong.

That's just basic mechanics.
You're right of course, but it's late over here and the return for getting it fixed by tonight would be fairly minimum so I gave up for the time being. I'll give it another go when I return but seeing how others also got into this mess and couldn't really fix it easily, I won't waste much time before taking it to service.

By the way, this was it:

Mascot

Finished work at 11am today ready for a loooong ride in the winter sun but instead have spent the last 12 hours helping a family member out who had just been computer scammed by a fake female TalkTalk rep. She had remote control of his PC for about an hour causing untold chaos, stress and anxiety and stole detailed personal and financial information.

I seriously hope she dies in fucking agony, blind and limbless in a shallow ditch.

thomaser

By the way, this was it:

Haha, sorry for laughing but finally there's someone who's clumsier than me with these things. That's a real mess you've made. I can just picture you having an epic struggle with that wheel and chain, and it's hilarious! Sorry, I'm so sorry. Hehehe.

Best part is that in that picture I can see an SRAM powerlink. Which you can literally take apart using your bare hands (or needle nosed pliers if you really suck at dexterity)

Finished work at 11am today ready for a loooong ride in the winter sun but instead have spent the last 12 hours helping a family member out who had just been computer scammed by a fake female TalkTalk rep. She had remote control of his PC for about an hour causing untold chaos, stress and anxiety and stole detailed personal and financial information.

Fucking scum. Makes me so angry.

jts

...hate me...
Haha, sorry for laughing but finally there's someone who's clumsier than me with these things. That's a real mess you've made. I can just picture you having an epic struggle with that wheel and chain, and it's hilarious! Sorry, I'm so sorry. Hehehe.
That's all right, that's an accurate description and it is pretty funny indeed :D
Best part is that in that picture I can see an SRAM powerlink. Which you can literally take apart using your bare hands (or needle nosed pliers if you really suck at dexterity)
Bloody hell!

So basically thanks to the picture and because it was fortunate enough to include the powerlink, you've fixed my bike and I have learned one more thing. I searched for SRAM Powerlink and it was incredibly easy to take apart and just put the whole thing together with the wheel already back on. Man, that's great and it just means no more struggles in the future because I know how to unlink and relink the chain, no tools required! Fantastic.

Thanks!

So now my only problem is that the tires are completely flat and I broke my small pump (bent it out of shape and it just fell apart). I have another pump around, which is used on a presta valve equipped bike, and I managed to successfully convert it to Schrader (which is what I have on mine), however that pump is very basic and doesn't have a lock-on mechanism and it's impossible to inflate from the completely flat state my tubes are in. Even took one inner tube out and still couldn't inflate it into shape.

Question: is it safe to roll the bike 2-3km to nearest gas station with the tires completely empty? I just don't want to ruin them.

Slush all over the place this morning, decided to ride to work anyway! I live right next to the sea so it was just a thin layer of the stuff, but as I got inland there were some spots where the slush was like 10cm thick. At that point it just clings to the tires and I almost fell over taking a turn. Instead I just slightly slammed my hand on a fence to balance myself. So instead of wet clothes I have a bruise on my palm, right on the carpal area.

Question: is it safe to roll the bike 2-3km to nearest gas station with the tires completely empty? I just don't want to ruin them.

I rolled an empty front tire for roughly that distance when I failed to mend an inner tube last week. It turned out ok. I guess ISPs might be at risk of losing a couple of spikes though.

edit: I think the important bit is to not put any weight on the rims.

jts

...hate me...
Slush all over the place this morning, decided to ride to work anyway! I live right next to the sea so it was just a thin layer of the stuff, but as I got inland there were some spots where the slush was like 10cm thick. At that point it just clings to the tires and I almost fell over taking a turn. Instead I just slightly slammed my hand on a fence to balance myself. So instead of wet clothes I have a bruise on my palm, right on the carpal area.
You managed to install the ISPs yet?

Over here it has been completely free of snow and slush for some weeks now. :/ winter menaced to be more severe than it is looking like now. But I will probably see some slush today as I'll be heading to Helsinki to catch a plane. No biking though, haha.

I rolled an empty front tire for roughly that distance when I failed to mend an inner tube last week. It turned out ok. I guess ISPs might be at risk of losing a couple of spikes though.

edit: I think the important bit is to not put any weight on the rims.

Hmmm I see, I think I might just do that, I will try to carry some of its weight rather than just dragging it along.

Thanks!

You managed to install the ISPs yet?

Over here it has been completely free of snow and slush for some weeks now. :/ winter menaced to be more severe than it is looking like now. But I will probably see some slush today as I'll be heading to Helsinki to catch a plane. No biking though, haha.

Hmmm I see, I think I might just do that, I will try to carry some of its weight rather than just dragging it along.

Thanks!

No ISPs yet, I'm lazy. Probably would've come in handy this morning, but the slush already melting away.

Also since it's a boring day at work, I've found two candidates for a single speed cyclocrosser. I think I'll go for just a frame because I want to tinker. That's also why I want cantilever brakes, discs seem a bit much.

On One Pompino, the cheap option. Apparently enjoys some sort of cult status in the Finnish fixie/single speed community.
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOPV4/on-one-pompino-v4-frameset

8bar Tflsberg, more expensive but still manageable. Aluminium. German hipster bike.
http://8bar-bikes.com/products/frameset/

Mascot

Minus 2° in the Forest of Dean this afternoon. Ice everywhere. Great fun though. Trying to thaw out now before our office Christmas party, where I shall be destroying all the single malt within reach.

Laekon

I'm probably going to end up buying an On-One frame as the final upgrade for old faithful.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOC456E/on-one-carbon-456-evo-frame

Why would you want a hardtail designed for a 5-6" suspension fork? The geometry is really odd with the super slack head tube angle(which it doesn't say what travel fork that is with) and the changing chainstay lengths. It's also fairly heavy.

Also since it's a boring day at work, I've found two candidates for a single speed cyclocrosser. I think I'll go for just a frame because I want to tinker. That's also why I want cantilever brakes, discs seem a bit much.

Why not just find a good regular frame and put an adapter on it? Gives you the option of maybe finding a cool high end used frame.

A curved fork doesn't necessarily put the wheel out any further than a straight fork. The offset on a straight fork is done at the crown instead of along the legs. Unless it's some silly track fixie bike you would have to find a touring bike fork to get a longer wheelbase. It will effect how your bike handles and make the steering slower.

Why would you want a hardtail designed for a 5-6" suspension fork? The geometry is really odd with the super slack head tube angle(which it doesn't say what travel fork that is with) and the changing chainstay lengths. It's also fairly heavy.
Hardcore trail hardtails are fantastic. I must admit that I've not looked at the frame in any great detail though, it's just one in a very big list. Looking at that one though, you're right, it's probably too slack, which is annoying.

Edit - I just checked, that's not a heavy frame by any means. It's the second lightest of all the frames I'm looking at (including steel and aluminium). Are you comparing it to road frames? The frame that's lighter is a full on XC frame which I'm not entirely sure will suit my riding style. Not to mention that it's £1,400.

I'm definitely going to be running at least 120mm of fork, the trick will be finding a modern frame that's built for 26" wheels, given they're very much out of fashion now.

Why not just find a good regular frame and put an adapter on it? Gives you the option of maybe finding a cool high end used frame.

Eh, my urge is pretty specific and emotional. Smart money would go towards improving either of my current bikes, not some mad project.

I look at used stuff regularly, but unfortunately Finland is such a small country that it's all very luck based.

That's a really nice bike! I recommend ditching the horrible foot cages and going for some sort of a cleat system, or just flat pedals.

jts

...hate me...
That bike looks great, congrats.

This is probably very nerdy, but my dream commuter bike is slated to be produced by Fuji Bikes as well, it's the Denny, the winner of a design project. Looks so amazing.

There would be a big chance for me to buy it if it came out costing 1K or less. But it will be probably be around 3K so I'll just keep on dreaming.

thomaser

they're not bad , just pretty aggressive. I've never really ridden a road bike before, so probably just takes some getting used to.

You'll get used to them before you know it. It sounds counter-intuitive, but I think it's very comfy to use the drop bars for long stretches. I didn't like it at first, but now I use them all the time except when climbing steep slopes. You seem to have the brakes and gears up on the top, though, so you'll have to use the top of the bars much more often. Beautiful bike!

I bought a smoothie machine and joined the healthy club. Haven't got into any arcane concoctions yet, just some veggies, fruits, berries and yogurt. Tastes great and helps digestion, but not feeling like superman yet. In realistic terms I'm hoping to ditch sugary breakfast products in favour of this.

thomaser

I bought a smoothie machine and joined the healthy club. Haven't got into any arcane concoctions yet, just some veggies, fruits, berries and yogurt. Tastes great and helps digestion, but not feeling like superman yet. In realistic terms I'm hoping to ditch sugary breakfast products in favour of this.

Be aware that fruit has a lot of sugar. But it's still much better than eating processed products.

Be aware that fruit has a lot of sugar. But it's still much better than eating processed products.

Processed foods are the devil, just sugar and nothing else. I'm not worried about the sugar content of fruits, after all it is a biking smoothie. Also, I'm using high level smoothie tech: lingonberries.

Here is my favorite:
cucumber
little bit of cilantro
carrot
celery
apple
kale (Australian tuscan cabbage)
spinach
bit of lemon
ginger

Blend with water

Super awesome, tastes great, and is pretty healthy.

Mascot

Good man! I'm currently slurping one for lunch before my afternoon ride.

Today is:
  • two bananas
  • three cubes of frozen spinach
  • a handful of frozen Black Forest fruits
  • a good jollop of Greek yoghurt
  • a good slurp of semi-skimmed milk
  • a handful of almonds and sunflower seeds

De-friggin'-licious..!

Looks like raw sewage, mind:

My pre-ride smoothie was as follows, measured in strictly SI units:

blob of natural yogurt (ie. just milk and a bacteria culture)
a smaller glop of water
stuff spinach leaves in the pot until halfway point
squeeze in a banana
fill to marker with frozen lingonberries

What's all this healthy shit?

...Mascot, you make a better roadie than a mountain biker. Hang your head in shame! Pre ride healthy smoothie indeed. Make sure you get your post ride massage in!

I had Subway for lunch to compensate for all the healthiness.

In other news, I'm starting to think I need to try spd's on the mtb too. My quest for more average speed demands it. I've also started pedaling hills standing up to work on those muscles, whatever they may be.

The science has proven that's there's very little in it. In fact, in one recent test that was done, the cyclist being tested actually averaged a couple of percent more distance on flats than they did using SPDs.

There are other reasons to use them, but I wouldn't make power your primary one.

Top Bottom