• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Speaking of chains, it's criminal that a new one is $45, and that price is set because everyone's moved on to 10- and 11-speed systems. Ugh.

Yeah, cycling is expensive, I know. Still doesn't sit right.

Can't you get a 9 spd KMC chain that's compatible with Shimano / Campagnolo? Mine cost £8 and I've never had a problem with nearly 8000 miles on it (Campagnolo set)

thomaser

Hmm, looks like I'm going to Paphos, Cyprus in late May / early June. Probably should look into some mountain biking there. Going to die of heat stroke though.

That's going to be fun! I'm going to Italy on a bike vacation at the exact same time. But that's with road bikes, and hopefully not so hot.

Laekon

Hmm, looks like I'm going to Paphos, Cyprus in late May / early June. Probably should look into some mountain biking there. Going to die of heat stroke though.

I've been riding outside Limassol and it was pretty good. There are a few British couples running rental and guide services I believe. Not sure about local run ones. Make sure to go to the old Roman sites in Paphos, the mosaic tiles are amazing.

Found this beauty on the trail in Cyprus.
16844_1195420967634_4844707_n.jpg

Hold on just one minute...

...that's a mountain bike, and you're wearing lycra. The rules state this is acceptable only if you're racing. You're racing, aren't you?

/prepares to shun

That also looks suspiciously like a roadie helmet. I shall assume the peak snapped off after a particularly hard impact with a tree after rooty singletrack.

So, here's my bike all set up to go for bikepacking:

2015-04-1311.42.4221uzb.jpg

On the front is a 20 litre Apidura pack containing a lightweight sleeping bag, mat, down jacket and (merino) clothes for sleeping in. On the back is a 14l Apidura pack containing an assortment of bits (food, coffee, bivi bag, tarp, pegs, trowel, small towel etc). If I was out on my own I'd also have a stove in there, but that was on the other guy's bike. I also had a small Camelbak with my usual ride stuff in there (first aid kit, tools, tube, bit of money etc) as well as a lightweight water filter. I think I'm also going to get a "fuel pod" which is a little bag that sits just behind the headset for snacks etc.

Despite carrying a reasonable amount of weight (at least 10kg between my back and the bags on the bike), it didn't actually feel too bad to ride, especially when I got used to how it handled. We did some very technical off road terrain and aside from the bike taking a bit more of a hit on dropoffs, it felt fine. In reality I should have upped my fork and tyre pressure a bit, but I just didn't think about it before going out.

Was a good ride on the whole, amazing scenery. Even got to look at a few bothies, which I didn't even know we had in Wales.

2015-04-1316.39.088wu0w.jpg

Plus we saved a lamb, which is always gratifying.

Slept under a tarp which had been set up completely open on one side, with the back edge to the wind. Weather wasn't horrible, but it did get pretty windy at times, and at about 4am it rained fairly heavily... which was good, because it was only at that point I finally managed to get to sleep. I generally sleep on my face at home so I found it particularly difficult to get comfortable in a bag / bivi. I think I'm definitely going to take a pillow next time as trying to use my down jacket as one really didn't cut it.

So yeah, just got to buy some extra bits and bobs now ready for my three day event at the start of May. I'm still fairly nervous about it, but less so than I was. I'm aiming for around average about 6mph moving average as a nice, sustainable pace... I just really, really hope I don't end up cycling in the rain as it's a whole different ballgame when you don't have somewhere warm and dry to end up.

Mascot

Can someone pop round and have a peek through Smoky's letterbox? I think he might have had a fall. There's been a photo of a GT up for twenty-five minutes and no sign of him. I have genuine concerns.

Laekon

Hold on just one minute...

...that's a mountain bike, and you're wearing lycra. The rules state this is acceptable only if you're racing. You're racing, aren't you?

/prepares to shun

That also looks suspiciously like a roadie helmet. I shall assume the peak snapped off after a particularly hard impact with a tree after rooty singletrack.

What was it you found - the man, the bike, the car, or all three?

:p

Dude - like PT said, get some baggies over that lycra. You are a MTB ambassador whenever out in public.

I was there a week for a tire launch event with a variety of riding so I packed as light as possible. It's also a hard tail so...

Can't you get a 9 spd KMC chain that's compatible with Shimano / Campagnolo? Mine cost £8 and I've never had a problem with nearly 8000 miles on it (Campagnolo set)

I was just calling local stores trying to get a new chain and I needed it now. Price of convenience, I guess. I ended up finding one online for $20 with free shipping. Though now that you mention that KMC are cheaper, I searched Amazon and found one for $16 and free shipping. I also found a gold one (lol) but it's $45.

Just remembered something: My wife was asking me if I wanted to try and enter a cyclocross race this summer. I told her that a) I am so not in that kind of shape and b) I would need new shoes/pedals because SPD are not suited for that kind of action. She was incredulous about it and even made me start to doubt. Isn't it true that the SPD cleats clog really easily from mud and other detritus? That has certainly been my experience when I have to walk through mud and gravel.

An then I see an article like this that says the pros sometimes use SPD. Sigh.

Mascot

Just remembered something: My wife was asking me if I wanted to try and enter a cyclocross race this summer. I told her that a) I am so not in that kind of shape and b) I would need new shoes/pedals because SPD are not suited for that kind of action. She was incredulous about it and even made me start to doubt. Isn't it true that the SPD cleats clog really easily from mud and other detritus? That has certainly been my experience when I have to walk through mud and gravel.

An then I see an article like this that says the pros sometimes use SPD. Sigh.

If the mud stays wet then I generally don't have a problem. Having said that, I chiselled dry mud from one of my pedals halfway through a ride the other night after spotting it, but it hadn't affected the engagement at all.

I've had problems with it, but it's never really been the end of the world. There's always eggbeaters etc if you're obsessive about mud shedding.

Laekon

The axle seals and bearings on Crank Brother pedals are horrible and known for failure. Time is normally considered the best for mud but Shimanos aren't bad.

I just took the singlespeed on a tiny bit of single and double track, with curly wurly bars, cx tyres and a manly 42x16 gearing. It was surprisingly ridable except that it's really easy to stall with my weedy legs. But overall it's totally doable and now I can openly wear lycra on the mtb trail. Maybe an easier ratio too so I don't look so much like an idiot.

Gray Matter

Between riding to work (a mere ~4 miles back and forth) everyday and going out on 10-15 mile rides on the weekends I think I'll get used to this quite fast.

I'm really enjoying my time with the bike, only if I had. Group to go riding with on occasions.

thomaser

I'm really enjoying my time with the bike, only if I had. Group to go riding with on occasions.

Ask at your local bike store, if you have one. Many of them organize rides. And there's very likely a cycling club near you, and those usually ride together several times a week.

Laekon

Consistently getting up at 4:30am to ride is beginning to drain on me. My commute is too damn long.

Does half commutes work for you? I use to do this and it worked fine as long as I planned for it. Drive to work, ride home, and reverse the next day. I've also had coworkers that drove part of the way then rode the rest each day.

senahorse

Been out looking for an mtb for my gf today. It's really hard to find a bike suitable when the rider is short, she is 5"3 with an inseam of ~27". In the end we decided on and ordered a Trek Skye SLX as the stand over height was perfect for her.

Asset_222457

Mascot

Been out looking for an mtb for my gf today. It's really hard to find a bike suitable when the rider is short, she is 5"3 with an inseam of ~27". In the end we decided on and ordered a Trek Skye SLX as the stand over height was perfect for her.

Asset_222457

That is one good-looking bike.

senahorse

We nearly got her an x-caliber 8 but she could only tip toe over the frame on a 15.5 so in the end we decided to get her something she will be more confident on :)

Any of you lot use a phone app for following GPX / TCX etc routes on your phone when cycling?

I was looking at getting a larger format GPS to use for multi day stuff, but the reviews on one of them said that the GPS accuracy was awful, and the other is so expensive that I could buy a relatively high end phone and use it as a dedicated GPS for around the same price.

Edit - Just trying Locus Map. Very impressive.

Stryder

Any of you lot use a phone app for following GPX / TCX etc routes on your phone when cycling?

I've tried GPX Viewer, all I wanted was something I can load my GPX onto and follow and it does that nicely. I found I had to change a couple of default settings (Follow GPS, and put the marker on the centre of the screen) and it worked a treat.

Consistently getting up at 4:30am to ride is beginning to drain on me. My commute is too damn long.

How far do you go? I wake up at the same time and I feel tired - especially after nights like last night where I was working on my derailleurs until 10:30 - but the hour ride to work definitely wakes me up.

Turns out my rear derailleur hanger is bent about 10° towards the wheel which explains why I've had some shifting issues getting into the lowest gear. Also explains why it took me an hour and a half to get the shifting working as I had to do some magic between the limit screws and the cable tension.

As the bike is a decade-ish old, there isn't a detachable derailleur hanger like on the newer ones. Is it possible to just bend the frame that little bit I need it?

How far do you go? I wake up at the same time and I feel tired - especially after nights like last night where I was working on my derailleurs until 10:30 - but the hour ride to work definitely wakes me up.

Right now I'm still inside because it's been low to mid 40s in the NE. So I'll do 45-60 minutes on my trainer with TrainerRoad. So when that happens it's less about distance and more about getting the most out of my time.

Does half commutes work for you? I use to do this and it worked fine as long as I planned for it. Drive to work, ride home, and reverse the next day. I've also had coworkers that drove part of the way then rode the rest each day.

I take a train to New York, so doing a half commute would not be feasible.

senahorse

I was looking at getting a larger format GPS to use for multi day stuff, but the reviews on one of them said that the GPS accuracy was awful, and the other is so expensive that I could buy a relatively high end phone and use it as a dedicated GPS for around the same price.

Edit - Just trying Locus Map. Very impressive.

I have been considering getting a Motorola Moto E as a biking GPS, it's cheap, splashproof and supports Bluetooth 4. I have a Garmin Monterra I use for trail bike riding and it's great but I am looking for something more lightweight for the mtb.

Tried the Nexus 6 which lasted just shy of 8 hours, and the Nexus 5 which looks like it'll go past 9 hours. Plenty long enough for normal purposes, though maybe not quite long enough for what I'm looking for.

Mascot

Tried the Nexus 6 which lasted just shy of 8 hours, and the Nexus 5 which looks like it'll go past 9 hours. Plenty long enough for normal purposes, though maybe not quite long enough for what I'm looking for.

Maybe a silly question, but are dynamos still a thing? We all had one on our bikes to power lights back in the 1970s. Something like that could maybe keep a GPS display topped up. Also: solar charge?

4435132867_941e0ab2dd_o.jpg

Yup, but they're hubs these days, far more efficient:

huh10e.jpg

Others have suggested solar chargers, but I live in Wales. Also, I'd have to have it mounted to my backpack or something, as I plan on cycling from sunrise to sunset.

Mascot

Yup, but they're hubs these days, far more efficient:

huh10e.jpg

Others have suggested solar chargers, but I live in Wales. Also, I'd have to have it mounted to my backpack or something, as I plan on cycling from sunrise to sunset.

Helmet mount! And modern solar panels work best in overcast light and cooler temps, according to a mate
who owns a solar panel business.

Yeah, but it wont be overcast... it'll be flat out dark. Unless like I said, I mount it to my back or something.

Would be fine for longer trips, but on a short trip, all I really need is a 120g battery to provide at least three full charges of a GPS / phone / whatever.

Shit I ripped my lycra trying to bunny hop on flats, raking a pedal across my shin. On the bright side, now that blood sacrifice has been made I think I can safely change to spd's.

senahorse

First ride on the mtb today, and my first ride on a bike in maybe 5-6 years. We did a small ride on a bike path that went through mangroves and up and down a few hills, in the end it was about 10km and it wasn't too bad at all. Also it was my first ever attempt at using SPD's, I kind of chickened out and ended up with some Shimano Click'rs.

The CT45 shoes:

SHU_Sh3C45-ga-il.jpg

paired with the PD-MT50 pedals:

41%2BuH7QQPWL._SX300_.jpg

I found them a really great introduction into the world of SPD's and only had one close call but no actual accidents at all. They are really easy to get in and out of and I never came out by accident, I think they will work great on the trails. Can't wait to get out again :D

Top Bottom