• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

I believe it was Lemond who said that.

For me cycling is a health and enjoyment thing, but I have to approach it with a training mindset or else I get to complacent about it all. Every ride for me is with a clear goal and focus.

Mascot

Manualing all the way down this narrow lane...are you sure you're not Rob Warner or Dan Milner or pick your own grizzled and handsome mtb guru?

Ha ha..! I wish. Manualling (is that even a word?) is a piece of piss once you get used to instinctively recognising your balance point. No harder than riding a unicycle.

Obviously my wipeout was down to supernatural forces and/or terrorists.

I believe it was Lemond who said that.

For me cycling is a health and enjoyment thing, but I have to approach it with a training mindset or else I get to complacent about it all. Every ride for me is with a clear goal and focus.

I don't really have goals (too much like work, that) but instead I can't help but push all the time. I think it's a case of the late convert being over zealous. Also I think I'm learning to like pain.

By goal I just mean: I'm doing this route because of the hills or at this point of the route go into tempo mode. That kind of stuff. I'm still kicking around the idea of trying a duathlon, so I'd rather have the bike game as best I can.

I don't really have goals (too much like work, that) but instead I can't help but push all the time. I think it's a case of the late convert being over zealous. Also I think I'm learning to like pain.

Yeah, same. :( I can't count the number of times I've left the house thinking, "I have plenty of time, I don't need to rush." And I end up at my destination early anyway and I need to shower.

Hell, it happened today. Normally it takes me ~20 minutes to get to the bus station, and I had 20 minutes to when the bus left. I figured I'd just miss that bus and take the next one, give me some time to cool down waiting. Nope. Halfway there I notice I'm on pace to get there in less than 20 so I pour it on. I get there in 17.5 minutes (new best time) and I get on the bus hot and sweaty. Sigh. At least there are showers at work so no big deal for me. The person who I sit next to, however...poor them.

cbox

I can confirm, riding in the rain sucks. Fuck the rain.

Did 100km in hard rain a few years ago for a charity run. It was 13C the entire day. Yes rain sucks. Though as soon as we got to camp the sun came out and it turned out to be 25C, perfection for the rest of the night. My poor bike the next day though, sounded like it was buried in sand for 20 years.

Cycling for me is only training and heart health. I get serious enjoyment out of it and the high afterwards. I love having my heart beating at its limit, and really enjoy being able to run up stairs without losing my breath. I haven't ridden a bike for leisure in maybe 10 years, my rides are all strictly fitness. I'd really like to get into mountain biking, but all those failarmy videos I watch of people falling really deter me.

HTupolev

I can confirm, riding in the rain sucks. Fuck the rain.
2v3ZR5K.jpg

My poor bike the next day though, sounded like it was buried in sand for 20 years.
2v3ZR5K.jpg

Mascot

I'd really like to get into mountain biking, but all those failarmy videos I watch of people falling really deter me.

Don't be put off by those types of clips - mountain biking is as safe as you want to make it. Yeah, OK, there's nothing quite like getting the adrenaline pumping by nailing a massive jump or sweeping through high-speed berms and there's a definite sense of pride in picking your way through a seemingly-impossible rocky technical section, but depending on the terrain you choose to ride on, the speed you choose to take and the lines you choose to follow, you can eliminate all reasonable risks. With a properly-maintained bike it really is totally within your control. The common mistake people make is either trying to run before they can walk or taking unnecessary (or badly-calculated) risks or going too hard over terrain they don't know. I've been mountain biking since before mountain biking became mainstream in the late 1980s and I still drop the ball occasionally, but it's always usually my own stupid fault (eg trying to manual down a hill..!).

One thing I do know - I feel one hell of a lot safer once I get off the roads, away from motor vehicles and into the forest. I've never had a tree try to cut me up and run me off the trail.

Yup. I've just been planning my route for the Welsh Ride Thing and I've added half an hour's off road ride so I can avoid a particularly fast section of the A44 road. I'm going to be dealing with all sorts of crazy terrain, but it was 10 minutes on a busy major road that really concerned me.

waypoetic

Banned
I'll leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKPMzX0BWlI

I'm so moving to the northern parts of this country again, just so that i can enjoy both the roads and the trails.

EDIT: I need to vent a bit.

You know what's boring about road cycling? All the videos i've seen on YouTube are 99% about the sport, the competitions - and not the exploring, getting together and seeing new places etc. I get this feeling whenever i'm out riding my road bike that i cant relax anymore, that i need to keep pedaling and break personal records on Strava and to some extent "look the part". It's not that i dislike the whole breaking of records and training to get better and doing races etc, but... I don't know, i know it's silly.

EDIT2: Videos like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBj...ation_id=53df084a-0000-2df1-9fc8-001a113e45b8

That soothing piano... <3

I was under the impression you were saying you felt pressured by / weren't enjoying road cycling, hence suggesting you do mountain biking instead.

Maybe I read your post wrong.

Mascot

I love exploring on my mountain bike. I'm still finding new routes through local woods that I've been riding for years. And there are still many wooded areas within a ten-mile radius that I haven't even visited yet.

Just finished my Welsh Ride Thing route. 165 miles / 266km (80% offroad) to be done in about 20 hours of cycling over three days (well, 1 full day, two half days). 22,000 feet / 6,700 meters of climbing. This all whilst carrying about 15kg or so of gear.

Going to be a REALLY tough ask. I'm going to have to come up with some escape routes just in case I get any punctures etc.

Mascot

Just finished my Welsh Ride Thing route. 165 miles / 266km (80% offroad) to be done in about 20 hours of cycling over three days (well, 1 full day, two half days). 22,000 feet / 6,700 meters of climbing. This all whilst carrying about 15kg or so of gear.

Going to be a REALLY tough ask. I'm going to have to come up with some escape routes just in case I get any punctures etc.

Good luck PT. Sounds like torture..!

I'll leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKPMzX0BWlI

I'm so moving to the northern parts of this country again, just so that i can enjoy both the roads and the trails.

EDIT: I need to vent a bit.

You know what's boring about road cycling? All the videos i've seen on YouTube are 99% about the sport, the competitions - and not the exploring, getting together and seeing new places etc. I get this feeling whenever i'm out riding my road bike that i cant relax anymore, that i need to keep pedaling and break personal records on Strava and to some extent "look the part". It's not that i dislike the whole breaking of records and training to get better and doing races etc, but... I don't know, i know it's silly.

EDIT2: Videos like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBj...ation_id=53df084a-0000-2df1-9fc8-001a113e45b8

That soothing piano... <3

I think I know what you mean. For example, my first year 'riding for real' I challenged myself to do a century. I did four, only one of which was supported. The second year (last year) I decided to do the Seattle to Portland ride in one day. Did that, as well as three or four more centuries on my own. I wondered this year how I would challenge myself and came up with: just ride.

I stopped signing up for supported rides. There's no real challenge there if every 15-20 miles you have a stop and support vehicles are crawling over the course. (And the cost-to-swag ratio isn't really great either) So now I just go to Google Maps, give myself a distance, and then try to find a route that covers it. Luckily there's a 40-mile loop (not really 40 miles) so there's ton of options and connected trails.

The first warm (10C) evening of the year, had to go for a ride despite having spaghetti legs. It was totally awesome, even though I had to push the bike on uphills so much my calves started aching. Learned a bit about taking drops and pumping.

I suck at explaining, but:

Taking a drop in this case means riding off a small vertical drop without nosediving, instead landing neatly on both wheels.

Pumping means using your body weight to generate speed from undulating terrain. With big ass roots in this case.

They'll end me without pumping too! But luckily it was dry.

What I did do was slip into a muddy rut and caught the handlebar on a tree. Speed was very slow but I almost fell anyway. Knowing how to bunnyhop would've been useful there.

I went to the Sea Otter Classic this past weekend and had a blast. Took my DSLR and captured this crash. I did talk to the rider and she is ok. I also sent her these photos too.

BbPM5H7l.jpg

KhZtiunl.jpg

1DsizKUl.jpg

bFxGr47l.jpg

kottila

I

Road cycling is what you want it to be. All my long rides are "strava-free". Of course it's nice to see improvement after a ride, but I don't care about the segments during the rides just abouth getting hours on the seat. I make sure to ride the hills slow, beneath a hr threshold. Strava is a fun tracking tool, a motivator for interval sessions and a great tool to monitor personal improvement, but I don't really care that much how I'm doing compared to others

long slow rides are really important for your development, going hard just increases the recovery time

t-ramp

Just got an email from Trek saying that there is a sort of voluntary recall for the quick-release on the front wheel of some disc brake-equipped bikes. Apparently you also get a $20 coupon for Bontrager stuff, which almost makes it worth the hassle of taking my bike to the shop, if my X-Caliber is one of the affected models...

Trek issues voluntary nationwide consumer quick release safety notices
Thank you for your purchase of a Trek bicycle. Our records indicate that you may have purchased a bicycle equipped with disc brakes and a front quick release lever that opens past 180°.

If the quick release is improperly adjusted or left open on a bicycle which also has a front disc brake, the quick release lever can become caught in the disc brake assembly. If this happens, the front wheel could separate or come to a sudden stop and you could lose control of the bicycle.

Trek wants you to be safe. You should always correctly adjust the quick release on your bicycle before you ride. Trek’s Owner’s Manual contains detailed instructions for proper quick release installation and removal. If you do not have an Owner’s Manual, see your local Trek retailer.

Additional information on proper quick release adjustment, including videos on quick release installation and removal, is available on Trek's website on the Manuals page and Safety & Recalls page, and more videos demonstrating proper quick release adjustment are available on Trek's YouTube channel. We encourage you to review these materials and to consult your local Trek retailer with any questions regarding proper use of your quick release.

This letter contains important information regarding what to do next if you have one of these bicycles.

Your safety is very important to us. Therefore, if desired, Trek will replace the front quick-release mechanism on affected bicycles, while you wait, free of charge. This includes replacement of the specially-designed quick release with washers if it has already been installed on your bicycle.

Affected models

Any Trek bicycle equipped with disc brakes and a front quick release lever that can open beyond 180º and contact the disc brake assembly is affected. If you are unsure whether your bicycle has this combination, please take it to your local Trek retailer for a free inspection.

What Trek will do for owners of an affected bicycle

If you own a bicycle that is affected by this recall and would like a replacement quick release, Trek will provide you—through your Trek retailer—a free replacement quick-release, including free installation. In addition, you will receive a $20 coupon good towards any Bontrager product redeemable through December 31, 2015 at your local authorized Trek retailer. This coupon has no cash value. If you have any questions, please contact your retailer, or call Trek at the safety and recall hotline: 800.373.4594

It's not a Trek design. This is a pretty generic QR used by a lot of companies. Kind of surprised no one else is in on this recall, well not yet anyway.

I checked too, only Trek qr's go past 180. Now it's a question of whether I can be arsed to dig up the receipt for my bike, put on the old qr skewers and drag the whole thing to the shop for a $20 voucher and a set of new qr's.

edit: assuming the recall ever reaches these hallowed shores.

Mascot

Any recommendations for secure and protective mobile phone chest mounts? I tested the 1080p/60 video on my new phone last night and the quality is staggering. Hard to tell the difference between it and a GoPro. I could capture some really nice footage with it when I eventually get back on the bike.

Food can go in the jersey pockets. I've fit enough food for a century in just the three pockets. Other option is you bring some cash, stop at a convenience store and grab some cookies for a buck.

I use an Arundel Duel on my bike. Big enough for a tube, lever, compressor and two CO2 cartridges. I used to carry a multi-tool in mine but I realized in the event I need to actually use that thing something major has happened anyway.

Ta - can get gopro knockoff harnesses dirt cheap on ebay. Need a cheap case too. I'll probably only use it once to satisfy curiosity.
That is a knockoff, it's just a knockoff that I personally know is good.

Food can go in the jersey pockets. I've fit enough food for a century in just the three pockets. Other option is you bring some cash, stop at a convenience store and grab some cookies for a buck.
I don't know how you guys cope carrying such a small amount of water. Two bottles would last me about an hour and a half, which is why I always go with the camelbak on long rides.

I've decided to take a punt on this solution here:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/limits-the-world-s-smartest-cycling-power-meter

Seems to be reasonably priced and easy to install.

Posted about it on the last page. I've bought one too.

Top Bottom