• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Took the ferry into work today so I could bring my bike. The 20 minute commute to the office turned into an hour ride around New York and Central Park. Oops.

Just tried to turn one of my rides into a course on Strava. Holy shit that functionality is GARBAGE. Might work for road rides, doesn't work for mountain biking.

Why it just wouldn't let me use my route as is without mangling it is completely beyond me.

cHaotix8

Hi, Bike GAF! I've been toying with the idea of picking up cycling to improve my cardio, and was wonder what kind of beginner bikes I should be looking at. I'll likely be on paved roads starting out but may move on to some mountain riding if I really enjoy the hobby. What kind of bikes would you guys recommend and where should I shop?

Ok, who's going to watch 2015's first Cross Country MTB World Cup race on Sunday? I watched all of last year's races in a binge and I think my body is ready.

I find XC a bit boring to watch if I'm honest. I can't say I'm much into the road riding either aside from time trial or maybe the cobble stages.

Track stuff tends to be good though.

:(

Got 90% of my ride done today, stopped in a hurry and BANG, knee gone again. I really thought I'd made it through without any major problems. Fuck sake.

:(

t-ramp

Think I might buy this jersey if it's in stock at my LBS (they designed it, so hopefully it is). Looks freaking sweet - it's the design of the lights on a local trail bridge nearby that I've ridden a bunch.

JNv8ZXM.jpg

Also planning on checking out a nearby trail tomorrow if the rain holds off. Looking forward to it, even though it looks like it's just a little trail along a river plus a couple on-road sections, so nothing crazy.

Mascot

Found a new patch of Slade the other day up a well-hidden steep track, and somebody's built a little playground up there. I've been riding these woods for years and am still coming across new areas.

kottila

So yesterday, during the weekly group ride, one of the guys had a trek madone 5.9, carbon fiber. That was one beautiful bike, super light.

Made me want a road bike even more.

The black and white madone looks boring. I actually think this a great looking road bike, even if it has fenders, disc brakes and low specs.

Ps. Not all roadies wear logos clothes filled with logos, except maybe clubriders, but they sort of have to

thomaser

Think I might buy this jersey if it's in stock at my LBS (they designed it, so hopefully it is). Looks freaking sweet - it's the design of the lights on a local trail bridge nearby that I've ridden a bunch.

Yeah, I remember you put up a photo of that bridge on Strava :) Cool-looking!

lol if you stood near a MTB trail and took a shot every time you saw a Fox logo embroidered on something you'd be dead within the hour.

Not the trails I ride. Unless you're counting forks... but they don't work so when when they're embroidered.

Also, there's a slight difference wearing something with say Nike, Fox, Endura etc (i.e. whoever made the thing) on it and Movistar or Sky: http://www.cyclingnews.com/teams

Funnily enough, saw a guy today kitted out in all of that. Had to weigh 20+ stone on a bike that couldn't have cost less than five grand. He was pushing at the time... on a 10% climb.

kottila

Not the trails I ride. Unless you're counting forks... but they don't work so when when they're embroidered.

Also, there's a slight difference wearing something with say Nike, Fox, Endura etc (i.e. whoever made the thing) on it and Movistar or Sky: http://www.cyclingnews.com/teams

Funnily enough, saw a guy today kitted out in all of that. Had to weigh 20+ stone on a bike that couldn't have cost less than five grand. He was pushing at the time... on a 10% climb.

maybe you should be more focused on the positives of such a big guy doing exercise than judging his clothes :)

Karakand

Since we're no true Scots'ing, it's considered a major roadie faux pas to wear team gear if you don't race for the team. Ditto for national and world champion jerseys.

I don't see much difference between being a billboard for a multinational conglomerate or a team of riders with multiple nationalities, personally. If teams gave a shit they wouldn't sell it and if you (pejoratively) gave a shit you'd find the most subdued clothing available.

All cycling clothes are ugly, same with motorcycle gear. Evidently being on two wheels requires one to have shit taste.

Edit: don't even get me started on clipless shoes

thomaser

Going to Italy tomorrow for a week-long cycling trip. Should be fun! Last years' in Sicily was great. This time, we're taking a route from Rieti outside Rome to Pesaro on the eastern coast.

Have to go to sleep now. Must wake up in three hours anyway to catch the plane.

What you're describing is sometimes referred to as a Fred. Those guys can suck, but half of them are harmless and just want to ride a bike. It's no different than person who just gets into running or lifting and buys all the top end shit / protein powders on day 1. So they have the money to blow on a 10K bike, big whoop. If I could afford a 10K bike I would go buy one too.

The ones you only need to care about are the ones who get dickish for no apparent reason other than their damn ego. People who go full lycra and don't race, but then get egotistical on basic rides are bad eggs. I'd rather ride with some dudes in lycra, on a 10K Colnago riding 2mph up a 5% climb and having fun versus the guy who can slam 300+w but has the attitude of a jackass.

I've ridden with both types and I most definitely prefer the people who like to ride hard but have fun. They're hard to find, but when you do it's awesome.

All cycling clothes are ugly, same with motorcycle gear. Evidently being on two wheels requires one to have shit taste.

Edit: don't even get me started on clipless shoes

Twin Six, OrNot, Rapha, Search and State are all companies making fairly minimal clothing that looks nice. Hell, even some of the Pearl Izumi and Castelli stuff isn't obnoxious. At least we're not trending back to the 90s when we got such gems as this Saeco

So they have the money to blow on a 10K bike, big whoop. If I could afford a 10K bike I would go buy one too.
It's odd really. I've never gone for this N+1 shit so I struggle with the whole mentality of just going out and spending a crazy amount on a bike.

I can afford to... but unless you're competing there's really no point in spending that sort of money (unless you're getting something bespoke, but that's different). Worse than that, 10k bikes tend to be very, very specialized, so you end up with bikes that are shit outside of their intended use case.

Mascot

So... this being a gaming forum... how many of CycleGAF still game?

Must admit my gaming time has dropped off over the past few years, but I did recently buy a PS4 for pCARS. Most of my game time now is spent in my cockpit on Forza, GT, Assetto Corsa and pCARS, but I'm having a blast with the Advanced Warfare campaign and just finished Wolfenstein.

Hardly ever at this point. I'm out and about so much that I don't have the down time for it.
TRACK STAND BATTLE!

I get irrationally angry when I see people at stop lights doing this. I just want to yell at them to put their foot down. I can't explain it.

41H-Cm-6JGL._SX300_.jpg

Bought a jersey like this at Goodwill the other day. Well, kinda like that. Imagine that but sans the 'jacket' so it looks like you're wearing a vest and that's it. It was $3 and also 50% off so for $1.50 why not, you know?

I don't any more. Not for the last few years... well, not properly anyway. Played a bit of Don't Starve around the new year, but that's about it.

Played Hotline Miami back in 2013. Plants vs Zombies in 2012, and before that, DX:HR in 2011. I'd feel depressed about it, but if I'm honest I don't really miss it that much. I do still have a 360 but I don't recall when it was last turned on.

It's odd really. I've never gone for this N+1 shit so I struggle with the whole mentality of just going out and spending a crazy amount on a bike.

I can afford to... but unless you're competing there's really no point in spending that sort of money (unless you're getting something bespoke, but that's different). Worse than that, 10k bikes tend to be very, very specialized, so you end up with bikes that are shit outside of their intended use case.

I have three right now: A 98ish Cannondale F500, a 2000 ish Trek 100 and a 2013 Scott Speedster S20. The cannondale was the first bike I bought for myself and still occasionally use on the trails, the Trek was a hand me down from my dad that I used for a year before buying the Scott and is now my transport to the train. I ride the Scott pretty much all the time, but I really want to invest in a steel framed bike that I can use more casually around town. The Trek could work there, but it's a bit small for me and I'd rather have something I feel more comfortable taking through packed trails if I want to.

So... this being a gaming forum... how many of CycleGAF still game?

Must admit my gaming time has dropped off over the past few years, but I did recently buy a PS4 for pCARS. Most of my game time now is spent in my cockpit on Forza, GT, Assetto Corsa and pCARS, but I'm having a blast with the Advanced Warfare campaign and just finished Wolfenstein.

Outside of my commute to work (hour 15 each way on the train) I rarely game. And even then on the train it might be 30-45 minute bursts.

Rbk_3

D2153015-D77A-4CFF-99FF-5CD5EAFCF351.jpg

Here is my new steed!

I have to go and get a wider saddle tonight cause my perineum is on fire after just a 10 maiden voyage.

Rbk_3

Get your ass bones measured rather than just going wider. I had similar problems and I actually needed a thinner saddle.

I will. My last saddle was 150mm and was good, so it has to be to narrow. It was a $12 Saddle Vader from eBay but it did the job.

nilbog21

Banned
hey guys, not really sure where else to ask this - but i'm looking to buy a bike and I have 0 knowledge in the field

i'm looking to bike to work (2 miles of road) and take it on biking trails (i'll need it for 500 mile stretch eventually)

can someone get me started on what kind of bike i'm looking for? I have a lot of money but i'm very cheap :(

Gray Matter

I sweat more during a 2 mile ride than I do during a 20 mile ride, strange.

I guess it's because it's hot as all hell right after I get out of work.

teepo

are you wearing polysynthetic material on your rides to and from work?

i'm assuming the 2 miles is the distance between work and home and the 20 miles is for a proper ride?

Gray Matter

are you wearing polysynthetic material on your rides to and from work?

i'm assuming the 2 miles is the distance between work and home and the 20 miles is for a proper ride?

Yup, 4 miles both ways. I wear a regular cotton shirt to work, nothing fancy.

Top Bottom