• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

Yeah, will be doing at some point in the next few months for sure. Just trying to get a handle on the knee problems.

Maybe my own injuries will be healed by then too. I've been out testing a few times in the past couple of weeks but always come back in a lot of pain.

thomaser

17848666226_2c4206f193.jpg

Somebody put a leanage device right in the middle of the path. Handy!

17687418880_f501a1fa15.jpg

At the top! I heard a male wood grouse just below me at this point. This particular bird has become a local celebrity the last couple of weeks because it's a bit angry, and attacks people who dare venture into its domain. I escaped, unscathed.

17688688139_8d38d1cfb9.jpg

Well this is not creepy at all.

That feeling when you get up the hardest climb you know, so hard that you had to push the bike 90% of the way, then come down the mountain on the other side and find out that the bike computer turned off at the top because you moved so slowly. Lost 3-4 kilometers of downhill fun :-( But I found another really good downhill path a bit later. Over in four minutes, but quality!

thomaser

P.u.s.h?

Pu...sh?

Push?

Nope, wossat?

I'm just not tough enough for a sustained 15-50 degree climb :-( I STARTED it with great optimism and zeal, but gave up after the first 30 meters. If you're ever around these parts I'll take you to it and teach you the art of pushing!

Laekon

Just bought this bad boy. My first quality Road Bike

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/performance_race/emonda/emonda_s_4/

Had been riding a cheap Marin Portifino.

Didn't realize Trek had pushed that model down to more affordable prices. I don't really understand how it fits between the Madone and Domane at that level unless they are dropping the Madone name soon. It looks like an amazing bike for the price. Don't think Specialized, Cannondale, or Giant have any carbon frame bikes at that level this year.

Does it have a made in Taiwan sticker on it? Just wondering if it's made by Giant or someone else.

Gray Matter

Didn't ride this weekend because I was busy (and being a bit lazy) so today I went out on a ride. Nice pace, lots of hills, which surprisingly I enjoyed. 25 miles total, very fun ride.

Just looking through some old rides. The steepest climb I can find is about 31%.

On average the evil stuff tends to be in the low twenties.

Rbk_3

Didn't realize Trek had pushed that model down to more affordable prices. I don't really understand how it fits between the Madone and Domane at that level unless they are dropping the Madone name soon. It looks like an amazing bike for the price. Don't think Specialized, Cannondale, or Giant have any carbon frame bikes at that level this year.

Does it have a made in Taiwan sticker on it? Just wondering if it's made by Giant or someone else.

Not sure, I haven't received it yet so I can't look.

AFAIK all Treks apart from the ridiculously high end models are made in Taiwan. I know mine is.

In other news, I got a retroactive 25% discount on the full susser. Thank you price guarantee!

kottila

I think they've already gotten rid of several cheaper madone models. If the madone stays it will probably be labeled as the aggressive aero racebike

Three years ago when I bought my current road bike I was about needing aluminum, gears, etc. I was in the mindset this was the best way to go. Now, three years later, and riding with people who are more in mindset I'm really wanting to move to a steel frame internal hub for anything under 20 miles. Or just going full steel.

Seems priced high to me. My Scott was ~$400 less and came with Shimano 105. Granted it's aluminum versus full carbon, but I personally would take the better groupset over a full carbon frame.

OP this isn't me saying you got a bad bike, I just think for the price you pay on a bike from the top 3 (Specialized, Cannondale, Giant) you can get a far better bike from some of the smaller names (Fuji, Scott, Kona, etc).

thomaser

Psh, GPS proof or didn't happen! I've been up hills that felt like 50 degrees, but they never never actually worked out like that. :p

That's what Strava says anyway, but it could well be wrong. There are two segments up there, "Langevann opp" and "Ebbevegen 310 Climb". The steepest part is over 50% on both. My two efforts haven't registered, probably because I did them too slowly. I bet the ones who are registered took the bike on their backs and ran up with it.

kottila

That's what Strava says anyway, but it could well be wrong. There are two segments up there, "Langevann opp" and "Ebbevegen 310 Climb". The steepest part is over 50% on both. My two efforts haven't registered, probably because I did them too slowly. I bet the ones who are registered took the bike on their backs and ran up with it.

The one who created the segment probably was using his phone (based on the squiggly line)which means you can disregard all elevation data. Looking at someone on the top 10 with a garmin, I'd guess the max is around 25-30%.

This is what road pros look like on a hill with 22% average elevation (30% max) http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V9uZ_ieLbEE

The one who created the segment probably was using his phone (based on the squiggly line)which means you can disregard all elevation data. Looking at someone on the top 10 with a garmin, I'd guess the max is around 25-30%.

Yeah, I just pulled up some of altitude data for that region and I'd say 28% max too.

Still, about as hard a climb as you're ever likely to come up against and try and ride. Keep at it!

t-ramp

Seems priced high to me. My Scott was ~$400 less and came with Shimano 105. Granted it's aluminum versus full carbon, but I personally would take the better groupset over a full carbon frame.

OP this isn't me saying you got a bad bike, I just think for the price you pay on a bike from the top 3 (Specialized, Cannondale, Giant) you can get a far better bike from some of the smaller names (Fuji, Scott, Kona, etc).
To be fair, Trek does have the Madone 2.1 which is $1,320 with an aluminum frame and Shimano 105 set.

HTupolev

There's lots of confusion with "percent grade" with "degrees grade" here. 50 percent grade is very steep, but 50 degrees grade is something you'd want ropes for even on foot.

teepo

i don't believe there is any confusion since the standard way to communicate the slope/gradient for roads, trails or any form of transportation is done through percentages so regardless of how someone might choose to word their responses, we understand what that number means.

thomaser

I can confirm that I had no idea about the difference between percent and degree when it comes to inclines, so I used whichever term popped into my mind at the moment :)

But I got it now. 45 degrees is 100%. 17 degrees is around 30%. And so on.

Was just making some new routes, which is usually awesome... but this time feels quite depressing as I have no idea if I'll even be able to ride them. =/

Mascot

So, it turns out I ripped my saddlebag during The Great Manual Fail Of Pain a few weeks ago. I only found this out when I went to use my mini-tool the other day only to find it had escaped through a gash somewhere along the trail, along with a pack of slime patches, my chain tool, my spoke spanner and a half-eaten Alpen bar.

So - am looking for a replacement.

Found this one which looks good enough. Seems about the right size (the MTB version, med) and I like the side pockets for isolating tools away from the spare tube. Thoughts?

Topeak Aero Wedge

topeak-aero-wedge-dx-qr-saddle-bag.jpg

aero-wedge-2-biggest.jpg

Also: any recommendations for mini-tools?

I personally wouldn't get that version (DX). Whilst it's sort of waterproof, it's not actually waterproof. Unless you absolutely have to have the side pouch, for less weight you can get their other medium saddle bag which has about double the space. The tube issue is sorted easily by having a tool with a sleeve.

Like this one...

Lezyne SV11

Mascot

I personally wouldn't get that version (DX). Whilst it's sort of waterproof, it's not actually waterproof. Unless you absolutely have to have the side pouch, for less weight you can get their other medium saddle bag which has about double the space. The tube issue is sorted easily by having a tool with a sleeve.

Like this one...

Lezyne SV11

Mmm. Waterproofness isn't that important to me, I don't think, and I think those side pockets would be useful for keeping money in too. I like having fiddly stuff like that isolated from the main area. Plus I can put my garage remote in the other side. I'm always nervous about losing or breaking it during a crash when it's in a shorts pocket. Can't beat the cool factor of ending a ride by hitting the remote around the corner to your house and manualling into the garage as the door is still opening.
Nope - not hit my head yet, but have had to duck a couple of times.

Mascot

No zips on the short pockets?

Yeah, but change jangles around and notes get forgotten about and go through the washing machine..! I've knackered the garage remote once already during a crash when it was in a zipped thigh pocket. Managed to fix it - just. The other stays clipped to my sun visor in the car.

I could keep stuff in the Camelbak but read a horrible warning this week from a cyclist who paralysed himself when landing on gear in his Camelbak. From now on it's liquids only.

He landed on a solid metal shock pump... slightly different story.

Related, who on earth carries a shock pump out on a ride? Especially one at a trail centre.

Welp lost my sunglasses somewhere today, so I'm firmly in the "only buy cheap ones" camp now.

Make sure you don't buy this version of cheapos:

hot-rockbros-polarize7wauk.jpg

The wind protection around the nose is shit. Watery eyes guaranteed when descending with these on, the new 2015 style cheapos look much better in this regard as the nose pad is better designed.

old

412cj8bilwla7u3o.jpg

new

img_2598j6ug4.jpg

Mascot

I've got the exact same set of bins as those except they're fake Oakleys.
Seem fine to me for £5.50 delivered with five lenses, hard case, lanyard, cleaning cloth, soft bag and prescription inserts.

Mascot

That's pretty damn good. Where did you get them for that price?

eBay, from China, a couple of years ago. Came in a couple of weeks from order. I think there were (are) UK resellers with a £5 mark-up, but I took a punt on the cheaper option.

I just had a search but they all seem to be Rock Bros branded now, and more than twice the price..! I knew I should have bought a couple at the time, but to be honest I'm still on my first set of lenses anyway.

Best fit for me is undoubtedly the Bolle Silium. I had a pair of these as work safety specs for site but wore them biking for years until they scratched up too badly. They're a fantastic fit around the cheekbones. No danger of loose mud getting up between them and your face.

bolle-silium-safety-glasses.gif

Must get a couple of new pairs. They're fairly cheap from industrial site safety gear sellers.

Holy shit, I was just reading that (the kinda crappy) Hadleigh Farm MTB trail centre (Olympic XC venue) cost £6.8m to create. The entire of BikeParkWales was done for £2m.

Ridiculous.

Gray Matter

So yesterday, during the weekly group ride, one of the guys had a trek madone 5.9, carbon fiber. That was one beautiful bike, super light.

Made me want a road bike even more.

No, I bought a road bike. But mine isn't far off that weight / spec wise.

For me road riding isn't nearly as much fun as mountain biking. Good for fitness, but nowhere near the challenge.

Top Bottom