• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

t-ramp

I like riding my road bike, but riding muddy single track is fun that it can't offer (yes, I know the sign says I wasn't supposed to).

1KigOeH.jpg

htOwT07.jpg

7ZF8tSP.jpg

Norfair

Twin Six, OrNot, Rapha, Search and State are all companies making fairly minimal clothing that looks nice. Hell, even some of the Pearl Izumi and Castelli stuff isn't obnoxious. At least we're not trending back to the 90s when we got such gems as this Saeco

I picked up this jersey last Christmas with a 30% off coupon and have really been liking it.

Rigby_II_Black_Jersey_Side_e80ecfaa-9fff-4df6-a05b-1631c35e7ef1.jpg

Had a bit of a pootle around the Paphos area. Forgot how much water a northerner like me goes through in the warm places of the earth.

Also, fuck stray dogs. It couldn't catch me at speed, but I'm so not used to things like that.

Met up with my local riding group yesterday and we all intended to go out and enjoy the night ride. Naturally this turned into another heavy pull with us averaging nearly 19mph the whole ride (20 miles), with an average of 23 for the final 3 miles. We were hitting nearly 30mph on the stretch home because it was flat, no cars and a good breeze at our back. What I learned is A. TrainerRoad really works and B. I need a better gear ratio as my compact runs out pretty quick.

Wool?

Is this a joke?

I wore a merino wool jersey yesterday in 80 degree heat and high humidity. I was cool in the humidity (relative) and warm along the blustery beach. When my ride was done the shirt was bone dry.

There is a huge misconception that wool can only be this super thick and heavy layer of clothing. Wool is an incredibly versatile fabric and there is a reason companies like Rapha and Patagonia use it across all layers of their products.

Gray Matter

I wore a merino wool jersey yesterday in 80 degree heat and high humidity. I was cool in the humidity (relative) and warm along the blustery beach. When my ride was done the shirt was bone dry.

There is a huge misconception that wool can only be this super thick and heavy layer of clothing. Wool is an incredibly versatile fabric and there is a reason companies like Rapha and Patagonia use it across all layers of their products.

From what I know cycling gear is pricy already, so a wool jersey must cost a bit more.

My merino long sleeve was $90 from Rapha, which is a good price IMO. I only got one because the fabric is also great at preventing stink build up. I've only had to wash it once since getting it and I probably wore it over 20 times. Either on rides or post workout to keep my body from going from hot to cold immediately.

Rapha has their t-shirts on sale for $60 right now http://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/classic-t-shirt/product/CNS01 (and other "City" stuff). As I said, one shirt can probably last you all week before needing a wash if you just need something for to-from work.

teepo

i wash my single set of cycling gear weekly and i ride about 80-100 miles a week at this point. once i'm fully back in shape and can do 150, i might consider buying a new set though i think i'd rather drop that $300 or so on a new garmin instead. i can live with the smell

Rank. =/

On a different note, have booked my first physiotherapy session for Friday. Hopefully they'll be able to help me get a handle on my knee / ITB issues.

I try to wash my bibs every week (I have 4 pairs, average 4 rides a week) but sometimes it goes two weeks. Jerseys I'll go 3-4 uses or until they smell. My gloves on the other hand smell downright awful and I need to figure out a way to wash them without ruining them.

My gloves always smell like wet dog. It's horrible.

Are you non washers really using chamois pads over multiple days? That's basically like continually wearing really sweaty underwear. NASTY. lol

I do re-use shorts from time to time, but only if they've not got wet (I use shorts with separate pads).

Gray Matter

I been wanting to buy some proper clothing, but the price is daunting and I don't know if the effects of the clothing are worth it for me.

I been wanting to buy some proper clothing, but the price is daunting and I don't know if the effects of the clothing are worth it for me.

When it comes to shorts/bibs it absolutely matters. The cheapo pair I got from Nashbar were not comfortable at all. The pad moved a lot, they were lose in all areas and bunched easily. If you wait for sales you can sometimes score two bibs/shorts for the price of one.

Jersey's are a toss up and it mostly comes down to the style.

As for the merino stuff, just buy a normal merino t-shirt. I only shared the rapha link because I just got it in my email. Just check places that specialize in outdoor stuff and make sure it's a good percentage of merino and not synthetic.

Mascot

My gloves always smell like wet dog. It's horrible.

Are you non washers really using chamois pads over multiple days? That's basically like continually wearing really sweaty underwear. NASTY. lol

I do re-use shorts from time to time, but only if they've not got wet (I use shorts with separate pads).

I wash my gloves when the snot pad is more snot than pad, but re-using chamois pads is a great idea if you want galloping knob-rot or yeasty balls.

Seriously - there must be enough bacteria down there immediately after a ride, never mind the next day when they've been humping each other all night long and reproducing like rancid rats wallowing in arse-crack cheese and pissy ball sweat. Yuk.

Gray Matter

When it comes to shorts/bibs it absolutely matters. The cheapo pair I got from Nashbar were not comfortable at all. The pad moved a lot, they were lose in all areas and bunched easily. If you wait for sales you can sometimes score two bibs/shorts for the price of one.

Jersey's are a toss up and it mostly comes down to the style.

As for the merino stuff, just buy a normal merino t-shirt. I only shared the rapha link because I just got it in my email. Just check places that specialize in outdoor stuff and make sure it's a good percentage of merino and not synthetic.

I know what shorts and jerseys are, but exactly is a bib?

Top Bottom