• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

kottila

Thinking about a new groupset for my road bike - tossing up between Ultegra Di2 and Campy Chorus..

I know they are total different beasts and is down to a matter of personal preference/feel but I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts if they've had experience with either (or both).

I really want di2, but I've heard horror stories abouth what happens when it suddenly stops working and you're stuck on one gear for hours, and it's hard to find someone who can fix it. Personally I'd probably go with ultegra mechanical, every shop will have experience and the spare parts necessary for repairs and it is very close to dura ace in function, but cheaper. 105 would probably work just as well, my rear deraillieur is 105 now because that was all the shop had in when i wanted to put on a 30 tooth cassette for the alps, and I can't really tell the difference between this one and my ultegra.

Electronic shifters are the most overpriced thing ever. Just a servo and a microchip and the price is suddenly thousands more than the mechanical equivalent..

Thinking about a new groupset for my road bike - tossing up between Ultegra Di2 and Campy Chorus..

I know they are total different beasts and is down to a matter of personal preference/feel but I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts if they've had experience with either (or both).

My buddy I ride with has electronic shifters and they're definitely nice, but complete over kill. He only has them because he owns a shop and they were a demo unit.

Stryder

I made a decision, decided to go campy electronic!

I managed to find a really good price on a set of Athena EPS without crankset, chain, cassette, and brakes. As I didn't need a whole groupset to upgrade I went for it and included a carbon Chorus crankset, chain and chorus cassette. Can leave the current brakes on.

Will post impressions when I eventually install it all!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Need a new bike for commuting(about 7-9 miles each way), and I'm a little undecided.

I was always a bmx or mtn bike type of person back in the day, but I see quite a few other styles have become popular.

Decided on a hybrid, just unsure what type. Currently eyeing the 7.3 FX and specialized sirrus sport - or the 8.3 DS vs specialized crosstrail disc.

My commute will be mostly pavement, but I'm also fond of offroading now and again - which the latter two would allow me to do to some extent.

Which hybrid should I go for?

I used to have the FX 7.5 - if you want to go offroad - cinder trails, hiking paths etc, you'll need knobbly cyclocross style tires. However those shouldn't affect your efficiency too much on smooth paths.

teepo

i'd personally wait for the SRAM Wireless but i'm also a tad biased because my road racer is running the SRAM Force groupset.

Karakand

i'd personally wait for the SRAM Wireless but i'm also a tad biased because my road racer is running the SRAM Force groupset.

It's seemed solid enough at the pro level this season. Five stage wins for Ag2r I want to say?

I'm secretly hoping FSA's wireless will be good so that I can get an Italian groupset
made in Asia
at a much lower price than Campagnolo. Unless it has a shifting method I don't like that is. (Rather pay more for something I like.)

It's seemed solid enough at the pro level this season. Five stage wins for Ag2r I want to say?

I'm secretly hoping the FSA's wireless will be good so that I can get an Italian groupset
made in Asia
at a much lower price than Campagnolo. Unless it has a shifting method I don't like that is. (Rather pay more for something I like.)

I would not use pro-level wins as a measure of a products performance. There are so many factors to their bike set ups, adjustments, etc.

Gray Matter

Stopped at a rose/garden park during today's ride, so here's the obligatory bike pic.

Esvg9xe.jpg

If the bike thread is in Community...why isn't the running thread?

Remember my goose incident? This morning - in the exact same spot - three crows attacked me, one of which ended up in my spokes. Luckily I was slowing down as soon as I saw them flying at me so I wasn't going fast enough to do a header but the one hit my leg pretty damn hard and moved my speedometer sensor into my spokes.

The Internet has prepared me for how smart crows are so now I'm just going to change my route so I don't get murdered (lol puns) eventually.

kottila

I'm secretly hoping FSA's wireless will be good so that I can get an Italian groupset
made in Asia

Do you have a mechanic that drives behind you on your rides and that goes over your bike every day to replace parts the moment they start to wear?

kottila

No, I like to do things myself. (I take the bike to the mechanic.)

A guy in marmotte was really happy with his di2 before the race, would never go back to mechanical. Halfway through he lost his rear gears and was stuck on two gears for 4 hours rising up and down mountains. The neutral service tried for 30min, but was unable to fix it. Afterwards he was really pissed and would chamge back to mechanical immediately. It will probably work fine 99.9% of the time, but ehen something happens and noone can help you, then you're really fucked

Does anyone ride mixed set ups across their bikes? Currently I'm riding on Shimano 105, but for a potential build my shop is pricing out SRAM options just to keep options open.

I searched for "sram work with shimano" and this link was purple so I guess I've looked into this in the past - even if I don't remember doing it.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/10/mixing-groupsets-what-works-together-and-what-doesnt/

With three major groupset manufacturers, transmissions of anywhere from seven- to 11-speed, and an excess of aftermarket cranksets and wheels on the market, consumers will inevitably suffer from a clash of component compatibilities, particularly when upgrading. In this post CTech Editor Matt Wikstrom takes a look at the known incompatibilities between groupsets from different brands (and within the same brand) along with some emerging compatibilities.

It's from 2014 but I imagine it's still somewhat relevant.

HTupolev

I mean.

You could always just throw on some friction barcons and not worry about anything ever again.

Until you find that the derailleur uses more cable travel than the shifter supplies D:

Whoops, I meant more with dealing with muscle memory since they function different. One bike would have all shimano and the other could possible have all SRAM. So on the Shimano I'd have two point for shifting and SRAM just uses one.

Karakand

A guy in marmotte was really happy with his di2 before the race, would never go back to mechanical. Halfway through he lost his rear gears and was stuck on two gears for 4 hours rising up and down mountains. The neutral service tried for 30min, but was unable to fix it. Afterwards he was really pissed and would chamge back to mechanical immediately. It will probably work fine 99.9% of the time, but ehen something happens and noone can help you, then you're really fucked

I've had to make rides of shame. It's no fun but an inevitability for me.

If FSA wants to make a mechanical set I'd be there (if it didn't stink) but that seems beyond their means for whatever reason. (Patents probably.) :)

Does anyone ride mixed set ups across their bikes? Currently I'm riding on Shimano 105, but for a potential build my shop is pricing out SRAM options just to keep options open.

I plan on doing it but I haven't yet.

Stryder

At least with Campagnolo EPS you have a 'ride home' option where you can manually put your rear derailleur onto a sprocket of your choice.

Electronics is great for pro racing, but part of the beauty of the bicycle is, for me, how seamlessly it integrates with a human. Barring physical breakage, it will go as long as the human. No charging of batteries needed.

Thinking about trying the Jamis coda comp, I've heard good things about the frame.

Also looking into insurance, but is bike insurance even worth it for a bike under 1001? It would cost about 100 a year, with a 100 deduct - covers theft and damage.

Thinking about trying the Jamis coda comp, I've heard good things about the frame.

Also looking into insurance, but is bike insurance even worth it for a bike under 1001? It would cost about 100 a year, with a 100 deduct - covers theft and damage.

A lot of home owners and renters insurances can cover bikes. When I looked into it I found that it wasn't worth it considering the total value of my bike wasn't worth the monthly cost. If you're going to be racing a lot then I'd consider it.

I started the year thinking I could do 10,000 miles, but then I hurt my knee and that all went to shit so I'm just trying to hit 5,000 now. Currently at 2,500 so it's doable.

And my wife made a passing comment over the winter about a ride this summer. I didn't think anything of it until she told me she had the campsite reserved and that it was going to be in the middle of August. Woah. So now I have to start actually training to get my butt in gear (almost literally) so that I can ride up to the park, camp, and then continue the ride the next day to the Johnston Ridge Observatory at the top of Mt. St. Helens. It's not that far - 123 miles - but it's a lot of climbing. 2505 to get to the campground and then 6438 to get to the Ridge.

After I have lunch at the observatory, I'm going to ride home so that's another 123 miles. Should be fun!

HTupolev

I started the year thinking I could do 10,000 miles, but then I hurt my knee and that all went to shit so I'm just trying to hit 5,000 now. Currently at 2,500 so it's doable.

And my wife made a passing comment over the winter about a ride this summer. I didn't think anything of it until she told me she had the campsite reserved and that it was going to be in the middle of August. Woah. So now I have to start actually training to get my butt in gear (almost literally) so that I can ride up to the park, camp, and then continue the ride the next day to the Johnston Ridge Observatory at the top of Mt. St. Helens. It's not that far - 123 miles - but it's a lot of climbing. 2505 to get to the campground and then 6438 to get to the Ridge.

After I have lunch at the observatory, I'm going to ride home so that's another 123 miles. Should be fun!
Sounds awesome. Haven't been to St Helens since I was a kid... I wonder how the fields of toothpicks are doing these days.

Aww yeah, today was great. No work, just exploring random places on a bike. I wanted to go even further but then this happened:

What is the problem? Just cross the river. i've carried my bike over my head in waist deep water before. Do it!

I also hope you have an extra long seat post and don't have it past the minimum insertion marks.

What is the problem? Just cross the river. i've carried my bike over my head in waist deep water before. Do it!

I also hope you have an extra long seat post and don't have it past the minimum insertion marks.

There was actually a bridge like a hundred metres from that place. The illusion folds like a house of cards!

The seat post is the one that came with the bike, 400mm I think. And there's still room until min insertion.

Karakand

Electronics is great for pro racing, but part of the beauty of the bicycle is, for me, how seamlessly it integrates with a human. Barring physical breakage, it will go as long as the human. No charging of batteries needed.

Do you have a single speed? They're visceral reminders of this.

robox

busting knees on single speed is something i keep hearing but i never really understood. which maneuver is the thing that damages it?
if anything, running is one of the worst things for your knees due to constant impact.

maybe you can bust your knees on fixed gear, if you don't know how to skid properly...

Top Bottom