• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

someone who has $8000 to spend on a road bike would know pretty well what they want and what they're getting.

no offense, but i don't see any discussions in here that would give me confidence about the buying advice of such machines. our most prominent posters are all about the MTB, plus it's a lot more discussion about riding than the machine

Definitely agree with this.

Doubt it, most people spending that sort of money on a bike have the money, but absolutely no clue what they're doing. The highest end bikes I see in the wild are almost never ridden by decent cyclists. Usually middle age bankers and the like.

Club rides aside, though most of those bikes seem to top out at about $5000.

And this. Saw a homeless-looking guy in Bend last weekend *walking* what had to be a $10,000 road bike. And it had flats (meaning pedals) on it! (Can't remember the name ATM but I do remember recognizing it as one of those 'holy shit' bike brands)

kottila

someone who has $8000 to spend on a road bike would know pretty well what they want and what they're getting.

no offense, but i don't see any discussions in here that would give me confidence about the buying advice of such machines. our most prominent posters are all about the MTB, plus it's a lot more discussion about riding than the machine

I just like talking/reading about expensive stuff that I'll never get to buy myself. That's why I've subscribed to the watch-thread. And i don't have any knowledge about the US <$1000 market. I've seen a little of both, there's alot of middle aged rich men who go straight to the most expensive stuff for their first bike, but if they have the money, then it's up to them although they certainly could be just as happy on a much cheaper bike. Saw a 50 year old italian on a lightwheight bike with lightwheight wheels, but he definately knew how to handle it. Hardly a gram of fat on his body

thomaser

I've seen a little of both, there's alot of middle aged rich men who go straight to the most expensive stuff for their first bike, but if they have the money, then it's up to them although they certainly could be just as happy on a much cheaper bike.

A buddy of mine was participating in a road race somewhere a couple of years ago, and saw a very corpulent 50yo on an expensive carbon bike with brand new, super-expensive carbon Zipp wheels. Two kilometers down the road, the wheels collapsed from his weight.

Tawpgun

Whenever I accelerate too fast or put a lot of pressure on the pedals like if I'm going on a hill the bike seems to vibrate as if something is grinding on something else.

Can't for the life of me figure out where its coming from.

HTupolev

Whenever I accelerate too fast or put a lot of pressure on the pedals like if I'm going on a hill the bike seems to vibrate as if something is grinding on something else.

Can't for the life of me figure out where its coming from.
Is it more significant in particular gears?
How is it patterned? For instance, is it stronger on the pedal downstroke on the left or side, or is it more constant?

If the grinding has a lopsided pattern and tends to happen when you're either on very high or very low rear gears, it could be something simple like rubbing on your front derailleur (this would mostly just make a lot of noise, though, and wouldn't cause significant frame vibration).

Otherwise the possibilities might be more sinister, such as your bearings grinding around in your bottom bracket.

//=====================

If you flip the bike upside-down (or hang it on a service stand), so that you can freely rotate the pedals while checking things out, it might help locate the grinding.

Mascot

Some early-weekend hangage. Glorious morning.

Vduia6Ds0QY4Wq63rttxT_XLmGwsY18nilBSU9OOC_g=w394-h699-no

Gray Matter

Early ride today with some folks I met thru the bike shop. Only other time I ride this early is for work. Should be fun nonetheless.

Edit: awesome shot, Mascot!

jts

...hate me...

So I found these on my local supermarket which would allow me to use them this weekend already, as opposed to buying online.

The thing is they're not quite slicks or semi-slicks. Would they still be an improvement for long distances over my mtb tyres? I don't even understand if they're 1.5 or 2 wide :/

Edit: ended up not getting them, they seemed too wide compared to 1.6" one. I want something under 2".

t-ramp

So I found these on my local supermarket which would allow me to use them this weekend already, as opposed to buying online.

The thing is they're not quite slicks or semi-slicks. Would they still be an improvement for long distances over my mtb tyres? I don't even understand if they're 1.5 or 2 wide :/

Edit: ended up not getting them, they seemed too wide compared to 1.6" one. I want something under 2".
Do you have a local bike shop?

I'd go with Conti Speed Kings for being super rad, but they're not the most sensible choice. Panaracer Ribmo gets good reviews and is light with puncture protection. I don't think there's any reason the Tour Rides wouldn't work too.

jts

...hate me...
What kind of supermarket sells bike tires?
Every supermarket here in Finland since bike riding is a common transport means. There's almost everything for bikes in the sports section.

Do you have a local bike shop?

I do, but it's saturday and it was closed already :/

Anyway it's no biggie. Just took a nice 20km ride today anyway :D and it started raining halfway. It was great. Strava'd it too.

X kings are good, speed king, not so much. Half the people I see stopped on events are using them.

I used them for two races, had five punctures.

Karakand

Doubt it, most people spending that sort of money on a bike have the money, but absolutely no clue what they're doing. The highest end bikes I see in the wild are almost never ridden by decent cyclists. Usually middle age bankers and the like.

Club rides aside, though most of those bikes seem to top out at about $5000.

I somewhat blame road bike reviews for this. Price tends to not be a factor beyond "X is a great value" or "Y is a terrible value" or "Z might seem like it costs too much for having 105 but..." If you have the cash you buy what's well regarded but what's well regarded is determined by a really insular group who don't consider things like strength of the rider.

It's difficult to even find reviews for certain makes and models below a certain pricepoint. My road bike (a BH) wasn't really reviewed by anyone.

Gray Matter

Well, my fellow riders, today was by far the most fun I had riding yet. 5 (including me) rode 52 miles on a very tricky course, both flat and hills (lots of them). From central Connecticut to massassuchets and back to CT.

I can't even put it into words how amaze I am that I could do that.

Karakand

About to get this bicycle for mainly recreational purposes and wanted to see what you guys think?

Bear in mind I haven't been cycling for years, although I'll be sure to test it out before purchasing it.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/sirrus-sport-2015-hybrid-bike-ec070672

I've read good reviews about this model (Specialized is one of the few makes whose entry level road offerings get reviews) but if you end up liking to ride you're going to outgrow this pretty fast. I think the Specialized Secteur comes in a model ~600 pounds. (There's also a cheap Specialized Allez but that's a much racier frame and might be a little too uncomfortable for you starting out.)

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Got a nice 15 mile ride in this evening after some bad storms cleared out. First ride with new pedals with toe clips/straps. Of course did the inaugural stop and forget about them and fall over when I had to stop for a deer in the path. No harm done other than knocking my front brakes out of wack and wasting a few minutes fixing that while it was getting dark. :D

Also my first ride with my Garmin Edge 500 and speed/cadence sensor, which I enjoyed having all that info to glance at.

Just did my first 100km ride. Average speed was like 22-23km/h, with the first half being way too fast and the second half just me hanging on for queen and country.

edit: cleat placement was almost spot on, no undue pain in legs or feet. Victoly!

MegalonJJ

Banned
I've read good reviews about this model (Specialized is one of the few makes whose entry level road offerings get reviews) but if you end up liking to ride you're going to outgrow this pretty fast. I think the Specialized Secteur comes in a model ~600 pounds. (There's also a cheap Specialized Allez but that's a much racier frame and might be a little too uncomfortable for you starting out.)

Thank you, I'll check out the Specialized Secteur. (You're spot on re me not wanting a too racy frame).

Mascot

Man, it was windy out there earlier today. I literally came to a standstill under full power along the coastal path at one point.

Karakand

Thank you, I'll check out the Specialized Secteur. (You're spot on re me not wanting a too racy frame).

NP, I was in the same position you are now not that long ago and ended up buying a bike that I quickly outgrew (hence the alternative options I gave).

I'm actually converting that bike atm to a dropbar with a Campagnolo groupset. Take up cycling and burn money brehs.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Just getting into mtb with my wife, and I am out of shape for it.

Went to a local place in the Bay Area, Crockett Hills, and was only able to make it about 4 total miles with am elevation gain of 750ft. We basically just made it to the first flow trail but didn't go down it because that would have meant coming back up another huge hill.

The way back was a blast, and of course took way less time than getting up those hills. We ended up walking a lot of the hills, just didn't have it in us. And my wife does half Ironman tris. Kicked both our asses.

Not seeing a ton of improvement yet, but man the hills are worth the speed and excitement of the downhill sections.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The first mile had an elevation gain of 420ft. That is the first of three climbs on the normal 12mi loop for this park. And the easiest climb apparently.

We will get through the whole park eventually, but definitely have to take our time. I need to bring our camel back next time, I ran out of my two water bottles pretty quick.

My wife is still hesitant about downhill sections because she went over her handlebars doing a techy rock downhill section at another park a few weeks ago. She was alright but she is still a little shaken.

Do your trails not have colour gradings? Shouldn't be attempting rocky stuff in the early days. In the UK that would be a red grade trail (with blue and green before that).

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Do your trails not have colour gradings? Shouldn't be attempting rocky stuff in the early days. In the UK that would be a red grade trail (with blue and green before that).

This was a blue, and I didn't think it was supremely difficult, she just took it too fast. We shouldn't have been on this run for the most part, and she took a harder line to make it worse on herself too.

But yeah, it was a lesson learned, and we have been a bit more careful of staying away from the techy stuff for now. Doing a bit more research online for easier trails. But we are just having a bit of trouble finding the happy medium between family stuff and too hard.

The place we went today is fine for our skill level I think, just super hard hill climbs cardio-wise.

The best trail centres usually have progression trails where you get slightly easier examples of harder obstacles that appear in more difficult trails. Climbs at these sorts of places are always a pain in the arse though. Best to just spin up at some sort of reasonable pace rather than trying to scream up them and finding yourself knackered on the descents.

jts

...hate me...
Bought a pair of Schwalbe Range Cruiser in 26x1.75 at the bike shop today.

Not slicks or even semi-slicks and probably nothing worth writing home about anyway (you get what you pay for) but at 1.75 and a more road-y profile I just can't wait to try them on.

allegate tracked Workout for 982 pts Jul 19, 2015

Swimming
00:15:13 | 0.5 m 90

Cycling
00:37:59 | 12.5 mi 552

Running
00:31:28 | 3.2 mi 340

Same sprint triathlon as last year, almost the same time: 1:27:38 last year vs. 1:28:13 this year. Swimming got faster, but my running got slower. My cycling? 37:58 last year and 37:59 this year. At least I'm consistent.
My son did the kids triathlon on Friday and came in 1st for his age group. First and then we waited for a few minutes for second. He was stoked, though it's also the last year he gets to do it without competition. Next year is the first year he has to do everything by himself and also compete against other kids who are older than him and also compete in the actual triathlon. (there was an 8 y/o and two 12 y/o's in the sprint tri I did.)

Had a fair bit of fun, and it was nice not swimming in a choppy river. That said, it wasn't nice swimming in a river where I literally ran into a dead fish (sturgeon, based on the size) and got hung-up on seaweed once or twice. And someone ran into me while swimming, further slowing me down. Not that I was doing any great shakes, but I had a rhythm going that was working for me.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I went back out to the same place we were yesterday, and it kicked my ass again. I was 1 second off our pace yesterday of actual movement but rested for 9 min less. So a slight improvement. Still, it was a hot one and the hills are kicking my ass.

I am having a hell of a time getting my disc brakes to not rub also, which probably isn't helping.

I found a beginner singletrack park not too far from our house that I think we will check out this weekend.

You may have bent the rotor a bit. When you've done everything you can think off to get the calliper aligned properly, that's usually the problem. Spin it and see if it wiggles at all when it's going around.

Also, 9 minutes less rest is a huge improvement.

MegalonJJ

Banned
NP, I was in the same position you are now not that long ago and ended up buying a bike that I quickly outgrew (hence the alternative options I gave).

I'm actually converting that bike atm to a dropbar with a Campagnolo groupset. Take up cycling and burn money brehs.

Picked up the Specialized Sirrus sport I initially posted about!

I did test a few other bikes, but I really liked the feel of the specialized...so good to be riding again after so long.

Need a new bike for commuting(about 7-9 miles each way), and I'm a little undecided.

I was always a bmx or mtn bike type of person back in the day, but I see quite a few other styles have become popular.

Decided on a hybrid, just unsure what type. Currently eyeing the 7.3 FX and specialized sirrus sport - or the 8.3 DS vs specialized crosstrail disc.

My commute will be mostly pavement, but I'm also fond of offroading now and again - which the latter two would allow me to do to some extent.

Which hybrid should I go for?

Stryder

Thinking about a new groupset for my road bike - tossing up between Ultegra Di2 and Campy Chorus..

I know they are total different beasts and is down to a matter of personal preference/feel but I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts if they've had experience with either (or both).

Top Bottom