• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Ugh... anyone ever had pain when cycling from the inside of their knee down the side of their calf? Was just on the trainer and for the last 15 mins I was in agony. Wasn't cramp, or if it was, it wasn't any sort of cramp I've ever felt. It was sort of like the bottom of my leg was misaligned.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Ugh... anyone ever had pain when cycling from the inside of their knee down the side of their calf? Was just on the trainer and for the last 15 mins I was in agony. Wasn't cramp, or if it was, it wasn't any sort of cramp I've ever felt. It was sort of like the bottom of my leg was misaligned.

Sounds like IT band maybe.

Yeah, I'd know all about that one. I'd also be sat here weeping if that came back to the same extent earlier in the year.

(It's also upper leg, not lower leg) ;)

Umfffffff, one lousy thing about working in a strenuous profession [ kitchen ] is it can really wear your body down before you even get home for a ride. - _____ -

Ride before work?
I clock in at 4am.
free-happy-smileys-839.gif

Although soon enough I'm gonna start biking to work, it's only a 2.5 mile ride. It's just waking up an extra fifteen minutes to get there.

New forkage pictures! I love this fork. It is a Manitou Marvel 120mm travel and pushes my head angle to 69 degrees (from 71). Its added offset (48mm I think) balances it out nicely so it is stable and steers nicely. So plush. I have a Manitou Minute on my Enduro and loved it so I basically got the 29er version.

VH5TiD3l.jpg

EL50tcQl.jpg

teepo

because base building is much harder to build than your anaerobic base? and interval training isn't exactly easy when riding in and around a city. i'll save that for when my bike is on a stationary or when i'm thirty plus miles away from the city.

and 20+ hours is a bit hyperbolic, no? joe friel would most likely rage had he read that. he even advocates doing zone 2 rides that are less than an hour, meaning do as much base building as one possibly can.

No, it's backed up by research. When you're time constrained (I.E. Training less than 20 hours a week) you get far better results doing intervals, and I'm not talking about high intensity intervals... more stuff like this: https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/2201583-Matanuska

Problem is, most of the articles out there don't take into consideration that average Joe isn't likely to be spending more than 10 hours a week training, so they stick to the absolutes... and the truth of the absolute is that if you have all the time in the world, then yes, grinding out a working week worth of zone 2 will get you the best results.

I'm pretty busy at the moment (training twice a day and about to get kicked out of my house), but if I get a chance I'll dig up the research paper / article that explains it.

teepo

look, i'm not arguing whether it's more efficient nor do i personally care. but there is no debate that when you build a good base/endurance, you'll get more out of any high-intensity workout which is exactly what i'm aiming for once i remove my rear wheel and hook my bike up to my stationary come november. that is only a small part of my long term goal.

and yes, i'm aware of the efficiency of high intensity interval training but i'm also aware of how long the gains from such workout regimes last hence why i've been focusing on base building all summer. until then, i'll enjoy riding 100-150 miles through the city, suburbs and valleys at a relatively modest pace, efficiency be fucking damned. it's just, sometimes i want to blaze through them :(

It wasn't really about that, the interval training builds all levels of your fitness (from specific to base) if you handle it properly, but if you're not concerned about it, then it's obviously not a worry for you.

thomaser

Dammit. Had my "big race" today, the Birkebeiner Race. 92 kms from Rena to Lilllehammer in Norway. Of course, this was the day my new Garmin Edge 1000 decided to hang up on the loading screen. Couldn't turn it off, so I had to watch that loading screen during the whole race. Had to use my phone instead, and it ran out of juice a long time before the goal. So I don't have the stats on Strava, grumble grumble. Maybe I can make a manual activity. Did it in 4.20, which is 10 minutes faster than my estimated absolute best-case time, so I'm satisfied. Great weather and nice, fast route with around 3000 cyclists in total. Tomorrow is much bigger, with up to 20000 on the same route. Maybe I'll do that next year.

Hard to explain why that sucks as much as it does. It's like you didn't actually do the ride when it happens, or it didn't count somehow.

Karakand

This morning I saw a chap on a flat bar decked out in a full replica Nibali Astana kit.
oL0zsY2.png

I wanted to roll down my window and shout, "Hashtag FreeNibali!" but tbh someone wearing a full pro replica kit riding a flat bar seemed too independent of spirit to be receptive to social media-derived humor or post-irony.

Mascot

If I ever start reading up on optimal training techniques then somebody please put my bike in a crusher. It'll mean that, for me, the fun would have been removed from my hobby. I just jump on the bike and head to the woods for three hours, and love every minute of it. I'm as fit (probably fitter) as I ever need to be to do that, and I got there by just having fun.

This isn't meant as a snipe at all you serious trainers with your intervals, spreadsheets, supplements, special diets and training equipment, but all that kind of stuff is definitely not for me. I guess if I wanted to compete in races then I might feel differently, but that's not why I love my mountain biking.

It's different for me. If I didn't have the level of fitness I have then I wouldn't be able to contemplate the events that go on for 12+ hours or the ones that have ridiculous altitude / mileage. For me, those challenge rides are a big part of the fun of riding.

In reality, I should spend a lot more time on my technical skills, but they've never really stopped me from doing anything before.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
First Seattle day in four months unsuited to a ride. It's going to rain but it's going to be crazy windy which I hate more than rain. That feeling of making no progress again the wind.

look, i'm not arguing whether it's more efficient nor do i personally care. but there is no debate that when you build a good base/endurance, you'll get more out of any high-intensity workout which is exactly what i'm aiming for once i remove my rear wheel and hook my bike up to my stationary come november. that is only a small part of my long term goal.

and yes, i'm aware of the efficiency of high intensity interval training but i'm also aware of how long the gains from such workout regimes last hence why i've been focusing on base building all summer. until then, i'll enjoy riding 100-150 miles through the city, suburbs and valleys at a relatively modest pace, efficiency be fucking damned. it's just, sometimes i want to blaze through them :(

Base building in the summer? Wha, why? Are you planning to race in the early Spring (March/April)? Seems silly to do tons of Z2 riding just to be able to hit HIIT/VO2 Max stuff for November. Just use October to ease back and relax before jumping into a program.

If I ever start reading up on optimal training techniques then somebody please put my bike in a crusher. It'll mean that, for me, the fun would have been removed from my hobby. I just jump on the bike and head to the woods for three hours, and love every minute of it. I'm as fit (probably fitter) as I ever need to be to do that, and I got there by just having fun.

This isn't meant as a snipe at all you serious trainers with your intervals, spreadsheets, supplements, special diets and training equipment, but all that kind of stuff is definitely not for me. I guess if I wanted to compete in races then I might feel differently, but that's not why I love my mountain biking.

I use Trainer Road only through my winter (Novemberish through March) while I'm riding inside 2-3 times a week. Without something like that I'd be bored and miserable inside. Upside, it actually does improve my riding a lot. But come the warmer days I start riding outside again I'll get "planned" workouts in by riding a lot of hills or on my group ride where we're essentially doing HIIT.

teepo

Base building in the summer? Wha, why? Are you planning to race in the early Spring (March/April)? Seems silly to do tons of Z2 riding just to be able to hit HIIT/VO2 Max stuff for November. Just use October to ease back and relax before jumping into a program.

i never plan for any race. however, i might do a few come next spring/summer. i've been focusing on zone two rides as fatigue has started to show. my resting heart rate went up quite a bit -- 50 to 70 -- and it's probably for the best i ease off until i figure out if it's something more serious.

my winter plans are simple: zone2 rides once or twice a week riding on a trainer while re-watching some of my favorite films, one or two days of high intensity training and if the weather permits, i'll be taking my single speed or cyclocross bike out to work on random shit. come feb-march, i'll be solely focusing on HIIT.

Gray Matter

Got lost today with a friend, our other friend who normally leads the rides is out of town and the weather was too good not to go out and ride, made to our destination... With a few wrong turns. Good ride overall.

Mascot

Really can't stand riding in the mud. Just about acceptable if I'm head to toe in waterproofs, but I'm not a fan other than that. Had so many crashes when the surface goes to shit.
It was only that thick in a few low-lying places, which were great fun to bomb through. For the most part it was just soft underfoot.

thomaser

Hard to explain why that sucks as much as it does. It's like you didn't actually do the ride when it happens, or it didn't count somehow.

Well I did get to upload most of the ride, with some extra car driving at the end because I forgot to stop the activity when I finally got to recharge the phone...

I passed one guy on a unicycle. Wonder if he got all the way through. Don't think so, it would have been on the news if he did.

i never plan for any race. however, i might do a few come next spring/summer. i've been focusing on zone two rides as fatigue has started to show. my resting heart rate went up quite a bit -- 50 to 70 -- and it's probably for the best i ease off until i figure out if it's something more serious.

my winter plans are simple: zone2 rides once or twice a week riding on a trainer while re-watching some of my favorite films, one or two days of high intensity training and if the weather permits, i'll be taking my single speed or cyclocross bike out to work on random shit. come feb-march, i'll be solely focusing on HIIT.

If you really are planning on training then consider a power meter. It's really the only way you're going to get the most accurate form of training.

Doing zone2/base riding is only beneficial if the rides are 3-4 hours and multiple times. If all you're going to do is go out for an hour or two you'd be better of just riding at your normal pace.

As for fatigue it could just be a matter of taking a few days off. I wouldn't focus on resting heart rate as a measure of fatigue or not.

Tried riding and staying under a certain heart rate today (practising for my 24+ hour event). Was horrible.

Hills that I'd normally bury myself to get up as fast as possible (up in the 170s) I'd have to grind my way up using the smallest gear I had, at a heart rate of 155-160. I'm not sure if I'd be better off setting my max at say 140 on the flats and allowing myself to temporarily max it for the shorter, steeper climbs.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm doing my first big ride in about a month. 100 km ride.

Problem is, I'm not that fast, and don't do terribly long rides. I generally ride 20-40 km at most, and I average about 20-22 km/s. So it's not going to be an easy ride for me...I figure at least 5 hours. I did a 70 km ride last year and that took my 4 hours...though I've been biking a lot more since then so hopefully it's easier this time around.

One issue: my bike is a commuter. Trek Mendota...decent parts, but tires are not as thin as road bikes and my handlebars are very casual. So, I'm considering a few upgrades:

1) clip on pedals/shoes. I'm hoping this helps a fair bit, but maybe I'm overestimating the benefit.
2) new handlebars. My wrists start hurting after 1-2 hours of biking...5+ hours is not going to be kind to my wrists at all. Any recommendations?

Don't make any changes without having a good long ride before your main ride. You'll regret it. One of the worst things you can do is messing with your setup before a big ride.

1: If they help you psycholigically... they'll help. (See above about making sure you have a good long ride on them after, because you'll want to make sure your cleats are aligned properly)

2: You'll probably want to mess with either your sweep or your bar height. Beyond that, some grips are far more comfortable than others. Further beyond that, there's a chance your brake levers are at a bad angle for you, which can really mess with your wrists.... and finally, you might just be leaning on your handlebars rather than supporting yourself properly with your core.

Have you ever had a proper bike fit?

TheExodu5

Banned
No, I haven't.

This is what my handlebars look like:

5084914645_729bb2de87.jpg

Maybe I should go to a local shop and see if they make any recommendations for fit?

If I make any changes, I want to do it this week so that I have 3 weekends to practice with my new gear.

Yeah, that's sensible, and it looks like you have quite a lot of scope for changing your height, angle and reach. Those grips are a bit of a two edged sword though. I know many people swear by them, but I've also seen research that states they increase pressure on your wrists because they encourage you to put more pressure on your hands.

Also, it might be my imagination, but it looks like the one on the right is angled too high up. I'd say unless you were in the attack position then that would be positioned incorrectly.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Did 17 miles today on the mountain bike. Got a flat and I am terrible at changing them. Takes me forever.

Beat my best time on the first loop I did even though I was stuck behind a guy for the initial ascent. Felt good, my cornering is getting a little better, still pretty weak though.

Went further on my local trail than I normally do, which involved the meanest hill I have ever done. Short, only .6 miles but it averages 14% grade.

It rewards you with 2 miles of awesome flow trail through the woods though, so I will suffer the hill as much as possible.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Has anyone had experience with Road Bike City out of Canoga, CA?

I was looking at this low end road bike to replace my current Fuji for my daily commute. It's cheap, but has an aluminum frame and looks like it includes enough to be a good commuter.
My current Fuji's seat post is seized in the frame at the lowest position, (multiple tries and bike shop visits failed to loosen it), and the riding position is really starting to bother me. (I'm 6'5 for reference.)

Does anyone with more experience have some insight on this bike?

Karakand

Has anyone had experience with Road Bike City out of Canoga, CA?

I was looking at this low end road bike to replace my current Fuji for my daily commute. It's cheap, but has an aluminum frame and looks like it includes enough to be a good commuter.
My current Fuji's seat post is seized in the frame at the lowest position, (multiple tries and bike shop visits failed to loosen it), and the riding position is really starting to bother me. (I'm 6'5 for reference.)

Does anyone with more experience have some insight on this bike?

58 cm might be a little small for you, have you had bikes that size before? (You're doing this to be more comfortable, after all.)

Not sure what your commute is like but thumb shifters with a drop bar doesn't sound like a lot of fun to ride on every day. (The next bike up in their entry line has STI shifters with a drop bar.)

Triple chainrings seems like overkill too but I don't know about where you commute or what the rear cogs are like.

Top Bottom