• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

gotoadgo

So I decided to go out for a ride this morning as it's due to rain for the next few days at least in my area. Off I go and get to a good spot to turn around to make the round trip, however when I get to a turn I normally take to go home I decided to head straight and see where the path took me.
Well where it took me was right along the path of an angry magpie. For those of you not familiar with such a beast, it's a beautiful bird and has a lovely call but from late August to early October they're fucking psychotic and swoop at your head and neck for about 100m around their nest.
Anyway, that was the first time it happened and it scared the shit out of me due to it coming out of nowhere, luckily I could see his shadow and every time he came in to attack I could duck my head a little and he would miss me. I had a good laugh after the fact, haha.

HTupolev

Ha, roadies are in a tiffy over the weird first stage of the Vuelta Espana:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpqaBOJNejI
Ewww, they actually neutralized it? Should have handed out fatbikes, told everyone to HTFU, and redirected the course right through the waves.

Incidentally, finally got that Emonda ALR I've been waiting for. Also, the "red" option means "Trek Factory Racing" option, so the bike is pretty much a billboard. I've even got Samsung advertisements (the bike matches my phone!). :D

Mascot

I've found some crazy stuff while biking these woods but today's has to be one of the best...

8mLyfuaiVoTlXMLeHoMtaLoroeY_sAl0kqaHpneoOzo=w958-h539-no

Mascot

Legit shook

I tell you, there's a cult living in these woods. There's Blair Witchy-type shit hanging from trees, stone circles, strange carvings, sheep skulls, corn dollies, little piles of rocks arranged in pyramids, makeshift camps... I've seen people hiding behind trees a few times as well, but not for a few months.

Must arrange a night ride.

mulac

Just picked up a Trek Superfly 5 MTB to throw around Sydney trails and commute to work once or twice a week (50km round trip).

Whats a good website to pickup accessories in Oz? I got a water holder and spare tube and helmet obviously yesterday but for things like GPS (which one!?!), pump, new pedals, clothing, handlegrips, toolkit, saddle etc where do you folks buy? Wiggles.com.au seems good but wondering if other souce?

Also any suggestions on the best for this bike? I rode for around 2hrs yesterday to break the bike in and already i want new grips and a new saddle – any suggestions?

Need to get a decent GPS with a turn by turn map also – looking at the Garmin 810 range...

Fun hobbie! I havent cycled for about 3 years though so looking forward to getting back into it...

Cheers!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just picked up a Trek Superfly 5 MTB to throw around Sydney trails and commute to work once or twice a week (50km round trip).

Whats a good website to pickup accessories in Oz? I got a water holder and spare tube and helmet obviously yesterday but for things like GPS (which one!?!), pump, new pedals, clothing, handlegrips, toolkit, saddle etc where do you folks buy? Wiggles.com.au seems good but wondering if other souce?

Also any suggestions on the best for this bike? I rode for around 2hrs yesterday to break the bike in and already i want new grips and a new saddle – any suggestions?

Need to get a decent GPS with a turn by turn map also – looking at the Garmin 810 range...

Fun hobbie! I havent cycled for about 3 years though so looking forward to getting back into it...

Cheers!

Amazon? Great for accessories terrible for bikes because the bike market is basically weird.

Mascot

So, uh.

Wxgs5fI.jpg

Baguettes.

Works great, as long as you don't try to take the whole thing.

:D

True story: the baguette was developed so that French soldiers in the Napoleonic Wars could store their lunch down a trouser-leg and still march to battle. Napoleon's stumpy little ghost would definitely approve of stuffing one up your shirt while pédaler votre velo.

Lazyslob

Banned
i want to get new tires and im looking at these continental touring plus. i want something that is fucking puncture at least resistant. i only ride around in the city but get these like spikey tree things that keep fucking up my tires. im rockin uhhh 700x28c

any suggestions?

i want to get new tires and im looking at these continental touring plus. i want something that is fucking puncture at least resistant. i only ride around in the city but get these like spikey tree things that keep fucking up my tires. im rockin uhhh 700x28c

any suggestions?

Gatorskins or Schwalbe Marathons

So I decided to go out for a ride this morning as it's due to rain for the next few days at least in my area. Off I go and get to a good spot to turn around to make the round trip, however when I get to a turn I normally take to go home I decided to head straight and see where the path took me.
Well where it took me was right along the path of an angry magpie. For those of you not familiar with such a beast, it's a beautiful bird and has a lovely call but from late August to early October they're fucking psychotic and swoop at your head and neck for about 100m around their nest.
Anyway, that was the first time it happened and it scared the shit out of me due to it coming out of nowhere, luckily I could see his shadow and every time he came in to attack I could duck my head a little and he would miss me. I had a good laugh after the fact, haha.
Something similar happened to me a few weeks ago. They're smart too so I worried about a repeat attack.

Stinkles

being caught in a nasty crash and about 1'30'' down on main peleton, vincenzo nibali turns on turbo boost to escape the chase group during stage 2 of vuelta....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClwG4DD7sbY&feature=youtu.be

i mean, that's so blatant its comical. jury meeting now to discuss punishment. guess it'll make it easier for astana to decide on leadership, if it wasn't already decided earlier during crash...

y3JmrFN.jpg

So he just skitched on the side of his team car? In front of everyone? Like just ban him for life. What happened in the crash?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Woke up early this morning and rode Camp Tamarancho and then China Camp in Marin.

It was my first time at Camp Tamarancho and it was more technical than my skill level, but that just meant I was tapping my foot on the ground a lot more often than I should have had to. Nothing too dangerous. Took me a while but it was really good fun.

China camp was as fun as ever, much more my speed skill wise and just a fun trail to ride.

I ended up doing a total of 21 miles and 3000ft elevation gain between the two trails. My longest day of mountain biking.

hNwVJbe.jpg

Had a really good day at BikePark Wales today, but my GPS crashed so I lost the record of every trail I did in the afternoon. Was doing much harder trails than usual too so I'm particularly frustrated. :(

Had a pretty big crash too. Had my seat up too high, did a large drop off and got smacked in the arse by it. Over the bars. Thankfully not too damaged, just more scratches and bruises.

Stinkles

Had a really good day at BikePark Wales today, but my GPS crashed so I lost the record of every trail I did in the afternoon. Was doing much harder trails than usual too so I'm particularly frustrated. :(

Had a pretty big crash too. Had my seat up too high, did a large drop off and got smacked in the arse by it. Over the bars. Thankfully not too damaged, just more scratches and bruises.

Old lady knocked me over after stopping to let me pass.

thomaser

We've had some seriously hot days the last week. Nice after a dreary summer. Went for a 63 km mtb ride. My last big ride before Friday's Birkebeiner race. Tried out my new Volt hydration pack, and it's brilliant. Holds a lot of stuff and is really comfy. Only thing I don't like is that the tube can become pinched, so I have to adjust it now and then while riding.

First, a pretty hard climb up here. 4 kilometers, 350 height meters. Was rewarded with a good view and a cool breeze.

Pretty dry riverbed between two lakes. My new Maxxis Crossmark tire works well. Felt strange the first time I tried it, but now it's good.

Pasture with lots of tiny painted cabins.

When I got down to the car, a cow stared me down. It lowed loudly, and then I heard angry answers all around me. More cows came out of the woods and got close (turns out there were two calves right next to my car, and I didn't see them). One sounded especially angry, and looked like it wanted to charge. Then it sneezed, and all the cows got scared by the sound and ran away. Today I learned that cow sneezes sound like human sneezes.

Mascot

Today I learned that cow sneezes sound like human sneezes.

I remember being scared shitless by a cow's cough while taking a shortcut home along a dark lane adjacent to some fields one moonless night as a teenager. I'd already convinced myself that an axe murderer was hiding in a hedge somewhere along the route (this was the era of slasher movies and video nasties) when an unseen cow coughed a few feet away from me. I've never run so fast in all my life.

thomaser

I remember being scared shitless by a cow's cough while taking a shortcut home along a dark lane adjacent to some fields one moonless night as a teenager. I'd already convinced myself that an axe murderer was hiding in a hedge somewhere along the route (this was the era of slasher movies and video nasties) when an unseen cow coughed a few feet away from me. I've never run so fast in all my life.

How do you know that was a cow and not an axe murderer if it was so dark?

It was obviously a cow with an axe. Talking of the dark, am testing my lights ready for my 24-36 hour event and on medium power I had one battery last 3 hours, and the other, 3 hrs 50 mins. Supposedly identical.

Bizarre.

HTupolev

Funny how distance from civilization seems to weed out everyone who isn't way better than you from the Strava segment leaderboards.

:D

I have to ride early morning (I'm out my door by 4:45am) and I've seen a lot of deer, one raccoon, one fox and one skunk. However the one thing that continuously freaks me out is the sound of everyone's sprinkler systems kicking on. It's a constant "OMG A FLAT".

Oh man, I agree about the sprinklers. Every freaking time!

Anyone here running the Salsa Woodchipper bars? I finally figured out what they were called after seeing a guy doing a technical run on some downhill the other day with a set and I had to talk to him about it. They look like they'd be good for longer rides because you can be in the drops but not have your wrists outside the bars, kind of like a combination of a flat bar position with drop positions as well.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YK1MWbe6pAs/TZOtfNJcvFI/AAAAAAAABKE/akwsfRC_7cI/s1600/P1000651.JPG

Karakand

eTap shifting looks hot. Given the name I probably won't be able to get it when I eventually free myself from dogshit STI with another mechanical groupset. Though given that WiFli sounds like something that should have been used for SRAM's wireless system instead of a rear derailleur system maybe I shouldn't put much stock in them having logical branding.

Speaking of WiFli, capping the rear cassette at 11-28 seems like something that's just going to punish early adopters. In the Tour of Utah one of the few pro teams on SRAM was running 11-32 on Red mechanical, so it's not like high end riders have no use for anything bigger than a 28.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
eTap shifting looks hot. Given the name I probably won't be able to get it when I eventually free myself from dogshit STI with another mechanical groupset. Though given that WiFli sounds like something that should have been used for SRAM's wireless system instead of a rear derailleur system maybe I shouldn't put much stock in them having logical branding.

Speaking of WiFli, capping the rear cassette at 11-28 seems like something that's just going to punish early adopters. In the Tour of Utah one of the few pro teams on SRAM was running 11-32 on Red mechanical, so it's not like high end riders have no use for anything bigger than a 28.

Is 11 the smallest that a rear gear can go?

Top Bottom