• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

robox

as i rode more and got better, my riding position also evolved, including raising saddle to higher and higher positions. it's now at a point where the thing i care most about is maximizing the saddle to bar drop

in related news, i now understand why chamois cream exists

Couple of good days of riding, though I don't think I'll ever be returning to Coed Llandegla. For some reason I just don't enjoy the trails there.

Went on a proper ride with the cyclocross bike, I think I'm seeing the light real bright now. It's great switching from asphalt to dirt road to trail, just exploring. I guess you could do that with a mountain bike too, but it doesn't quite have the panache for some reason.

I could've totally gone for a single origin non fat latte, but instead I had a disgusting energy bar in the backpack and some water.

edit: does it help if there was some muddy trails?

Hello everyone!

I really want to get into cycling, but I don't have a road bike. I don't know really much about cycling at all. I want it to be my preferred way of traveling in my town and my way of getting into shape. Does anyone have recommendations for a cheaper starter road bike?

Thank y'all for your time.

I could've totally gone for a single origin non fat latte, but instead I had a disgusting energy bar in the backpack and some water.

edit: does it help if there was some muddy trails?

You had a backpack? What sort of mudroadie are you?

@GamingOblivion: I'm sure there will be someone along shortly to advise Might be useful to define cheap for you though.

I have not ridden a bicycle in 20 years. I never even tried a multi-speed/gear bike. Am I doomed?

Also, is it worth it to get a bike from a major outlet like REI or Sport Chalet? Are there any benefits of getting them from the major outlets? Service/repairs? Training? I have no clue how to operate a multi-speed/gear bike. HELP!

You had a backpack? What sort of mudroadie are you?

That's exactly it. No rules man!

Hello everyone!

I really want to get into cycling, but I don't have a road bike. I don't know really much about cycling at all. I want it to be my preferred way of traveling in my town and my way of getting into shape. Does anyone have recommendations for a cheaper starter road bike?

Thank y'all for your time.

Go ask around in the local bike shops and test ride a few bikes to get a feel for your options. Also, where do you live? There's a gazillion different brands out there, many of them regional.

HTupolev

I have not ridden a bicycle in 20 years. I never even tried a multi-speed/gear bike. Am I doomed?
The 20 years is going to be a bigger challenge than the multi-speed.

Most single-speed bikes are fixed-gear, which means that you can't coast, and that you can brake by pushing back on the pedals. When switching to multi-speed, you can coast, and you'll have to use the brake levers to come to a stop. When people switch between the two types of bike for the first time, this usually takes maybe .5 to 3 seconds to figure out.

Shifting gears on a bike is extremely easy. All the shifters do is yank the chain left or right so that it skips to another cog. There's no clutching or anything, you just tap a paddle or move a lever or something to direct the chain onto a different gear.
The only caveat is that the chain can't skip around unless it's cycling on the gears, so you generally want to be moving the cranks forward during a shift. In other words, you want to shift to a low gear before coming to a stop, because starting again in a high gear is hard, and switching gears while stopped is also hard.

The 20 years is going to be a bigger challenge than the multi-speed.

Most single-speed bikes are fixed-gear, which means that you can't coast, and that you can brake by pushing back on the pedals. When switching to multi-speed, you can coast, and you'll have to use the brake levers to come to a stop. When people switch between the two types of bike for the first time, this usually takes maybe .5 to 3 seconds to figure out.

Shifting gears on a bike is extremely easy. All the shifters do is yank the chain left or right so that it skips to another cog. There's no clutching or anything, you just tap a paddle or move a lever or something to direct the chain onto a different gear.
The only caveat is that the chain can't skip around unless it's cycling on the gears, so you generally want to be moving the cranks forward during a shift. In other words, you want to shift to a low gear before coming to a stop, because starting again in a high gear is hard, and switching gears while stopped is also hard.
Perhaps it would be more prudent to get a used bike instead of a new one for practice purposes? Not trying to get into extreme mountain biking. Just want to take a weekend ride with my son. He's going to be 4 in April and I want to start going for a bike ride on the weekends with him.

Thanks. I live in Washington, which is a big place for biking I think?

I'm from Finland, so I've no idea. But I'll make a suggestion because no one else seems to. I do know that brands like Fuji, Scott and Kona offer reasonably priced bikes in the US too. You're probably looking at 700-800 full price for a road bike with quality components. Right now you have a good chance of finding a sale I think.

Stuff like Fuji Sportif 2.3 or Kona Rove AL. They come with Shimano Claris or Sora gears so you get modern gear shifters, but are still very cheap to maintain.

edit: whatever you do, make sure the bike is the right size (ie. buy from a shop with competent salespeople). Don't take the wrong size even if it's the biggest discount in the world.

Mascot

Sod it - it's calm, the sun's shining and torrential rain is forecast tomorrow. I'm binning work for the afternoon and heading to the woods!

ced

I just picked this SS fat tire up for cheap to play around with and get better exercise around the power line trails at the house.

I'm not sure about the fat tires yet, it rides about as comfortably as my 26 hardtail with cheap spring fork. It does feel much more stable though.

SS is awesome though, no gears to think about and it really motivates me to ride harder, slacking off on coasts can make the next hill a bitch. I did have an issue on a steep rooty climb at a trail, but I was already beat and just had to take a breather half way up.

H4QBXAl.jpg

Single speed fat bike just seems nuts to me. They're a bastard on climbs at the best of times, let alone with only one gear. I guess you could go really low and then coast all the descents, but I don't know... I'd rather go at least 1x10 given how bombproof that setup is.

ced

Single speed fat bike just seems nuts to me. They're a bastard on climbs at the best of times, let alone with only one gear. I guess you could go really low and then coast all the descents, but I don't know... I'd rather go at least 1x10 given how bombproof that setup is.

I'm in FL so it's flat here, and it's geared low right now, 32x22. I got this to try, and ideally it will be replaced with a 1x10, those just cost a lot still. The cheapest 1x10 conversion I could build came in more than this bike costs, plus it would have been on my 26er.

I really want to try a 27.5+ or 29+ with 1x10...

diablopath

Neo Member
I am a dumb person that has not had to do any maintenance on my bike by myself. That said, I have a question.

I had a little tumble the other day. Only noticeable damage was that it knocked my chain off of the cassette. I just put pulled it back over and went about getting my ass home.

I want to make sure it's on *the right* cog. How do I do this?

The drivetrain will self correct. Just pedal around and shift a few times and it should be fine. You probably already did this on the ride home. If things are clicking or skipping though, you may need to adjust the derailleurs or check that the rear d/r hanger is not bent.

Just working out the next stage of my training. By my reckoning I've got about 18 weeks of base training ahead of me...

...I think I'd better find some entertaining things to watch.

Hmm.... that first base session was a lot harder than I expected it to be. Was of the understanding it was generally lower heart rates. Need to investigate that further, don't want to be training incorrectly.

teepo

you should be constantly at around 65-75% of your max heart rate

now sure how base building works on the trainer programs but pros can climb a category graded hill and maintain that heart rate zone so it's all really relative

I averaged about 80% max HR, so definitely need to look at roughly where I should be. They have a HR based version of the workout too, so I should be able to see from that.

Edit - Interestingly, one person commented on their ride "Harder than I thought it would be for base mileage." and another "Easy, 120bpm all the way". I can only assume that the latter person hasn't got their FTP right.

Edit 2 - Almost certainly. They've done a total of 6 hours on the trainer. I'm at 12.5 days. lol

HTupolev

Deciding at 2:00AM to get up at 6:30AM to start a century ride that integrates a 50-mile group ride in the middle? Awesome idea, sort of. Wearing summer clothes despite riding through dense fog on a chilly fall morning? Probably the worst idea ever, but it's got some Rule 5 and Rule 9 going for it.

Integrating 3 lengthy cafe stops into a century ride? NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE
NOPE
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

nope

Stops are for the weak. Well, unless you're going for like 8 hours, in which case, go for it.

I'm wrapping up nice and warm today. Have my long sleeve top on for the first time this year.

I caught a cold and can't ride. :(

And I just got this rad new light to use in the dark. 1200 lumens for 2 hours it claims, should be enough for the local trails.

Currently 9h 20min of daylight and going down, until 5h 49min on winter solstice.

Quikies83

Need help on a purchase decision. I'm between these two: Trek Procaliber 9.7 SL and the Trek Fuel EX 7

Any input on these mountain bikes? I'm sticking with a 15.5 frame and 27.5 wheels.

Laekon

Need help on a purchase decision. I'm between these two: Trek Procaliber 9.7 SL and the Trek Fuel EX 7

Any input on these mountain bikes? I'm sticking with a 15.5 frame and 27.5 wheels.

I take it the Procaliber is on closeout? I thought they were only 29" wheels. You are comparing a racing hardtail to a trail full suspension bike so there is a good difference in personality. If you're riding smoother trails I think the Procaliber is hard to beat. If you want a trail bike a Giant Trance 2 for a few hundred more is a much better bike. Or for $100 more a Giant Anthem 2 gets you better fork and crank.

Quikies83

I take it the Procaliber is on closeout? I thought they were only 29" wheels. You are comparing a racing hardtail to a trail full suspension bike so there is a good difference in personality. If you're riding smoother trails I think the Procaliber is hard to beat. If you want a trail bike a Giant Trance 2 for a few hundred more is a much better bike. Or for $100 more a Giant Anthem 2 gets you better fork and crank.
Correct. And the 15.5 frame for Procaliber has 27.5 wheels. The trails I'll be riding aren't the smoothest - I'm leaning towards the EX 7. Thanks for the info

The bikes are quite different. Procaliber is a light carbon frame XC race hardtail, Fuel EX is an aluminium full suspension all mountain bike. There's like a 3-4kg weight difference between the two and a totally different ride feel. You really need to test ride them both.

edit: for context, I have a lower end Trek hardtail of pretty much the same geometry as the Procaliber, and a Scott all mountain bike much like the Fuel EX. It's really like night and day, you won't be able to know which one you prefer without some time on bike. They'll both go over terrain far beyond your capabilties.

Hmm.... that first base session was a lot harder than I expected it to be. Was of the understanding it was generally lower heart rates. Need to investigate that further, don't want to be training incorrectly.

you should be constantly at around 65-75% of your max heart rate

now sure how base building works on the trainer programs but pros can climb a category graded hill and maintain that heart rate zone so it's all really relative

yeah, i'm in the midst of base training too. first time with a power meter, tho and i'm all confused on whether or not to conform to my power zones or hr zones during the first base phase. first session on the trainer my HR was in z2-z3 while my power was in z1. now, my HR tends to run a little high because of the sheer amount of drugs I'm on, but it would seem counterproductive if my HR is running high during base sessions.

i did some searching and friel and the folks at Trainer Road said that during your first base session, you should really only concern yourself with HR zones and ignore power. so that's what i'm doing. i also sent the question into TR so I hope they can discuss more definitively in their next podcast. i'll retest FTP after base 1 and then use power data to gauge efforts from then on, however.

Quikies83

The bikes are quite different. Procaliber is a light carbon frame XC race hardtail, Fuel EX is an aluminium full suspension all mountain bike. There's like a 3-4kg weight difference between the two and a totally different ride feel. You really need to test ride them both.

edit: for context, I have a lower end Trek hardtail of pretty much the same geometry as the Procaliber, and a Scott all mountain bike much like the Fuel EX. It's really like night and day, you won't be able to know which one you prefer without some time on bike. They'll both go over terrain far beyond your capabilties.
Awesome thanks for the info!

One more thing that might influence your decision: carbon frames can be fragile if you bash them against rocks. Deep dents and scratches can potentially weaken the carbon structure, and manufacturers recommend you replace the frame if that happens. Some have a crash replacement program for a good discount, but it's still an expensive thing. Aluminium on the other hand is more tolerant of abuse and cheaper to replace, if not quite as posh.

i did some searching and friel and the folks at Trainer Road said that during your first base session, you should really only concern yourself with HR zones and ignore power. so that's what i'm doing. i also sent the question into TR so I hope they can discuss more definitively in their next podcast. i'll retest FTP after base 1 and then use power data to gauge efforts from then on, however.
I think this is my fourth base session (Actually, more than that I guess, I've done three entire training plans from start to finish). Don't ever recall getting to such high heart rates previously.

I can handle the workouts, but yeah, still not entirely sure if it's doing me as much good as it should be.

teepo

yeah, i'm in the midst of base training too. first time with a power meter, tho and i'm all confused on whether or not to conform to my power zones or hr zones during the first base phase. first session on the trainer my HR was in z2-z3 while my power was in z1. now, my HR tends to run a little high because of the sheer amount of drugs I'm on, but it would seem counterproductive if my HR is running high during base sessions.

i've always assumed you only focus on your heart rate during base building. afterall, it is all about building your aerobic base.

on the topic of your hr zones and power zones not agreeing, i came across this on my research. i too was curious since this will be the first season i'll be training with a power meter on my new smart trainer

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2011/12/why-dont-my-power-and-heart-rate-zones-agree.html

i think you're on the right course

I think this is my fourth base session (Actually, more than that I guess, I've done three entire training plans from start to finish). Don't ever recall getting to such high heart rates previously.

I can handle the workouts, but yeah, still not entirely sure if it's doing me as much good as it should be.

just stick with it through the next 12 weeks and you're guaranteed to see your ceiling rise.

I've actually got 16 weeks of it due, but yeah, I guess I don't really have much choice on it one way or another. Think I might take the next FTP test a little easier though, nearly threw up by the end of the last one, and all I could taste was blood.

Unrelated... no ride for me this weekend. :(

Nephew's run out of brake pads, and money to buy them, and I've got a broken spoke that I've not had time to fix.

this will probably be my first true base session following the plan to a tee and solely going off HR only. my first base phase in summer '14 was based on exertion and i'm a terrible judge of that. and thinking my aerobic fitness was decent (lolz) i jumped into sweet spot base on trainer road in winter '15 using virtual power. excited to see what a true base phase can yield.

and maybe you're a bit fatigued? i think you said youre gonna be taking the weekend off, maybe add a few extra days?

i've always assumed you only focus on your heart rate during base building. afterall, it is all about building your aerobic base.

on the topic of your hr zones and power zones not agreeing, i came across this on my research. i too was curious since this will be the first season i'll be training with a power meter on my new smart trainer

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2011/12/why-dont-my-power-and-heart-rate-zones-agree.html

i think you're on the right course

just stick with it through the next 12 weeks and you're guaranteed to see your ceiling rise.

yeah, that was my thinking too. just three weeks ago i remember hopping on the trainer and trying to keep my hr in zone 1 while doing the base 1 workout and thinking, this can't be an aerobic workout....

from your link, here's friel himself:

Jeff Reed - There is no "correct" way to do this. What I do is use HR when developing aerobic endurance in the early base period. After that I use power only.

Posted by: Joe Friel | 12/13/2011 at 02:07 PM

so HR it is for initial base phase. i guess its an individual choice on what constitutes an early base period, but i'll probably extend it a few weeks since going in to this base phase i knew my aerobic engine was kinda, uh, lacking. and the initial base training with power only confirmed it. time to fire up nextflix for next few weeks i guess...

btw, what smart trainer did you get? i'm salivating over the Kickr but also know there's some good alternatives, such as tacx's neo. these things, man. pricy!

Top Bottom