• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Oh shit... I just found out that my 24+ hour event is going to have ~7,000 meters of ascent. I really hope he's just winding us up on that, because it's going to be 90% off road and OMFG is that going to be beyond ridiculous.

I'm suddenly considering getting some sleep and just aiming to finish in the 36 hours.

Oh, I didn't know we had demigods posting on GAF. That's cool I guess.

Another "cx" race tomorrow. Taking the hardtail because I don't have the inner gnar to ride the course on a cross bike. Tried today and it was 50% walking and one otb into a mud pit.

Guy I work with (the one who does XC for Breadwinner) is competing in the CISM World Military Games taking place right now. He's a beast too.

CQR6m9sUEAA77zV.jpg:large

f0nz0

New component day! I ordered a new stem for my ride, I had a 45mm raceface respond for my transition scout new stem is a easton havoc 35mm, make the bike feel a bit more nimble, I'm liking it!

gZTZgyL.jpg

Surprised you can notice the difference in 10mm. I took something like 40mm off mine and I'm not convinced I can tell the difference.

TheExodu5

Banned
So I went for my first 100 km ride today. Unfortunately, it didn't go as well as planned. We were biking into a 40km/h headwind with gusts over 55km/h. I've never biked into such strong winds.

At 60k, I started feeling a fair bit of testicular pain on one side. At 70k, I had to stop as the pain was excruciating. They drove us the rest of the way, so we didn't quite make 100km. Still, with the wind conditions, I think we biked the equivalent of more than 100km, so I'm not all that discouraged.

Still, I need to do something. I either need to change my saddle or find looser bike shorts. I don't want to experience that pain again.

iamcenok

My ass. It hurts. I took too long to get cycling shorts and today was the day I could take no more.

I rode 26 miles today. It felt good even though the last 6 miles or so were killing me.

So I finally picked up my bike. I ended up getting the TREK Emonda S4. I love it. I wish the bike weren't so boring paint job wise. But boy is it fun to ride.

Some pics from today.

HTupolev

I wish the bike weren't so boring paint job wise.
Yeah, my hardtail is mostly black, and I feel like that's about as many black bikes as I want to have. When I got my Emonda ALR 5, I couldn't help but go in the absolute opposite loud-as-hell direction with the viper red paint... which happened to be the Trek Factory Racing paint, and thus came with decals advertising things like my cell phone ("Samsung GALAXY").

(Sorry for potato, I broke the main camera on my phone, so I only have the selfie-cam.)

And that's how I became a billboard.

D:

:D

...Actually, it gets worse. I hit something and blew out my rear tire while flying down a hill. When I went to get a replacement, I decided to be absolutely committed to looking as loud and ridiculous as possible, and picked out a tire with red walls.

Yep.

f0nz0

Surprised you can notice the difference in 10mm. I took something like 40mm off mine and I'm not convinced I can tell the difference.
I think I actually can, one thing I've always been conscious about since I bought my bike was the reach, I got me an xl frame but I'm about 6'3 all legs, so with this new geometry most bikes are coming out with (long,low, slack) my arms always felt a little too extended , I have a 35mm rise on my bars too, so a shorter stem and slight rotation of the bars make the reach a bit smaller,while still giving me enough cockpit for my legs..but then again it could all be placebo and I'm just digging the orange bling!

Unrelated, anyone ever have a day when everything just felt wrong out on the bike? I went out for a ride today and hated it. Bike seemed to be picking up every bump (no idea if my tyres had the wrong pressures or my suspension was set incorrectly) and I was getting the shit shaken out of me.

Was utterly miserable after a few hours in. Has never happened before.

Unrelated, anyone ever have a day when everything just felt wrong out on the bike? I went out for a ride today and hated it. Bike seemed to be picking up every bump (no idea if my tyres had the wrong pressures or my suspension was set incorrectly) and I was getting the shit shaken out of me.

Was utterly miserable after a few hours in. Has never happened before.

Yep, except on the road. Depending on when the frustration sets in I'll turn around or just finish the ride. No matter what though I get home and just hate the ride.

I have rides like that almost every day lately. I don't know what it is about my rear tire but it always feels flat now. I'm hitting little pebbles and it feels like I'm running at 70 psi or something because I feel every one. I have to constantly get off my bike and check to be sure it isn't flat and it never is. I mean that's the good news but it's still a PITA to have to keep getting off and on the bike.

I just put new tires on so I thought that was it but they're the same ones I always use - Gatorskins Hardshell.

In other news, I sold my last refurbed bike yesterday. Some quick math: my wife paid $10 for two bikes and got a cruiser for free. The cruiser had some broken spokes so I had to pay for those + nipples and it was maybe $5 because I bought extras just in case. So for a grand total of $15 out of pocket (alright, maybe $25 after the amount of simple Green I went through) I made $275. No too shabby.

Oh man, I'm definitely out of shape. We went on our trail yesterday and we could only manage to do 30K out of the entire 50K loop, we had to call a friend to pick us up because it took us 5 hours just to get through those 30K, while the entire loop was supposed to take under 5 hours according to wikiloc. Yikes!

Oh well, picture time!

I have rides like that almost every day lately. I don't know what it is about my rear tire but it always feels flat now. I'm hitting little pebbles and it feels like I'm running at 70 psi or something because I feel every one. I have to constantly get off my bike and check to be sure it isn't flat and it never is. I mean that's the good news but it's still a PITA to have to keep getting off and on the bike.
On a related note, my tires keep going flat. I want to at least attempt to diagnose/fix it on my own before I give up and go to a bike shop (especially considering it's a mile off and bike/bus is my only transportation). Is this advisable for a fledgling cyclist? I yearn to get back on it.

Could be a number of things (assuming you run with inner tubes):

- debris stuck inside the tyre or poking through it
- worn rim tape exposing sharp edges
- not enough tyre pressure
- bad luck

Also I would say diagnosing and fixing flats is definitely a thing to learn. Makes it less likely that you'll be stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Best place to start is running the tips of your fingers very slowly over the inside of the wheel (where the rim tape is) and the inside of the tyre.

Also, if you hold the tube under water after you've inflated it you'll be able to see exactly where the hole is, assuming that you don't just have shit tubes that let air through without holes. When you know where the hole is, you know where to look on the tyre / wheel for the problem (this is partly why it's best to line up the brand / name of the tyre with the valve).

Mascot

On a related note, my tires keep going flat. I want to at least attempt to diagnose/fix it on my own before I give up and go to a bike shop (especially considering it's a mile off and bike/bus is my only transportation). Is this advisable for a fledgling cyclist? I yearn to get back on it.

I had a batch of about a dozen Specialized tubes with faulty valves last year. Drove me mad and involved a lot of faffing about until I finally worked out what the issue was.

I had a batch of about a dozen Specialized tubes with faulty valves last year. Drove me mad and involved a lot of faffing about until I finally worked out what the issue was.

Thank goodness for Performance Bike and their return policy. I kept getting flats due to took a bunch of tubes that were misshappen so I took them back and they replaced them all with brand new tubes.

I must be going crazy, my cyclocross infatuation just made me go on a run. I think I'm going to faint now.

Also, cx dismounts. A plot of the devil.

The cycling event is over at the games in Korea and he came in 73rd out of 85 and only 1:40 off the leader. Very tight race.

45.84 km/h average speed, Point to Point race, 10 laps x 11.8 km, and a total distance of 131 km. (metric conversion: sub-82 mile race, average speed was ~29mph)

One accident, @JJJ_SB broke his fork.

Photo from the start earlier today:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQtzgYNUYAANq9f.jpg:large

George Ganoung added 3 new photos — with Ian Holt.

CISM Mens RR Recap:

Results never tell the whole story in bike racing, its a cruel sport at times with huge efforts often going unrewarded. On paper our best result was 45th and we were 9th in the team comp, but Ian Holt Dwayne Farr Stefan Zavislan Alex Driscoll Jose Solis John Carlos Utah Michael Gallagher and Jay ShalekBriski raced fantastic today against a top notch field.

Our play was getting into moves which we executed extremely well with representation in every major break. Ian Holt worked to get in the most promising move of the day with 8 riders staying away for about 25k only getting caught with 2k to go. Without a strong sprinter, we didn't have many other options for a major placing and rolled in with the field or close behind. Jay ended up in a crash mid race which diminished our strength but soldiered on to the finish. Tough day but everyone left everything out there, learned from the experience and they are hungry for more. Proud to be directing these guys. ‪#‎raisethebar
For comparison's sake: I'm happy to finish an 80-mile-ride in five hours with a 16 mph average. Granted I'm not racing but it's still a very, very large margin of difference.

Just working out how much caffeine to take for my 24 hour event. I'm thinking I shouldn't have read about it because suddenly the 1,400mg I have seems like a lot...

Well, that's commuting (which I do more than just ride lately) so I'm kind of loaded. But yeah, I run out of gears. I'm sure if I had a week or so with an actual coach I'd learn some tips to help out but I do alright as far as commuting goes.

Well, that's commuting (which I do more than just ride lately) so I'm kind of loaded. But yeah, I run out of gears. I'm sure if I had a week or so with an actual coach I'd learn some tips to help out but I do alright as far as commuting goes.

no reason you can't hit 110-120. Spin them legs!

Alright then. I have a cadence sensor but mapmyride locks that behind a paywall. Is there a free app that can help me out?

That said, I keep staring at the new Garmin Edge 25 because it's tiny and does ANT+ so I could use the cadence sensor and HRM.

iamcenok

Yeah, my hardtail is mostly black, and I feel like that's about as many black bikes as I want to have. When I got my Emonda ALR 5, I couldn't help but go in the absolute opposite loud-as-hell direction with the viper red paint... which happened to be the Trek Factory Racing paint, and thus came with decals advertising things like my cell phone ("Samsung GALAXY").

(Sorry for potato, I broke the main camera on my phone, so I only have the selfie-cam.)

And that's how I became a billboard.

D:

:D

...Actually, it gets worse. I hit something and blew out my rear tire while flying down a hill. When I went to get a replacement, I decided to be absolutely committed to looking as loud and ridiculous as possible, and picked out a tire with red walls.

Yep.

Ugh, LOVE that red. It just pops!
I'm super seriously considering some vinyl wrapping and doing something. Not a full wrap but maybe the white trim design. Lettering etc.

Top Bottom