• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Hey guys, so I've got a 1995 Bianchi Veloce. It's a great, mean bike, but it's so uncomfortable for me. The aggressive seat and handlebars mean I put lots of pressure on my wrists, which become sore after a short while. I was wondering if there's anything I can do to make the bike more comfortable. I've even thought about adding handlebar extensions so I'm a bit more upright, but I dunno if that's even possible. I'm very ignorant about bikes (yeah, I've got a Bianchi, but it was a gift from a good friend a while back).

Advice, please?

Changing the seat is easy. Changing the bar height is also relatively easy assuming you're not at the maximum height already. You could also use thicker bar tape, or change the angle of the bars to a slightly less racy position.

HTupolev

Advice, please?
The fundamental solution to reducing upper body pressure is to roll your riding position back. Imagine pivoting your whole body about the cranks; the stem and handlebars have to come up, the saddle goes lower and farther back:

rcm01oU.png

More weight goes to the back, less up front.

The simplest start would be to see how high you can raise your handlebars. A '95 Veloce should be equipped with a quill stem, which has a bolt on top that points down into the bike's headtube. This bolt connects to an expander wedge at the bottom of the quill which secures the stem to the steering. If the bolt is loosened, you should be able to move the stem* up and down, or rotate it (not that you particularly *want* to rotate it, haha). The stem will likely have a "minimum inseration" marking of some sort or another; raise the stem as high as you can without any "minimum insertion" markings showing, and re-tighten the bolt (firmly, but don't go completely crazy with the torque).
Then try riding the bike. If the position feels good, great! Otherwise, try lowering the saddle and moving it farther back.

If you can't raise the stem as high as you want, another way to get some height is to rotate the handlebars back a little, which usually puts the brake lever hoods higher up and farther back on the bike. You can accomplish this by loosening the bolt on the stem's handlebar clamp, allowing you to rotate the bars. When you re-tighten this bolt, it should be pretty tight; too lose, and the bars could slip loose under hard braking, which by the way is kind of terrifying.

Note, if the bike still has a long, narrow racing saddle, you *might* affect the comfort of the saddle by going to a more reclined position.

Another consideration is that you might help your wrists by making your hands more comfortable. If there are positions on your bars that you aren't comfortable gripping, an easy change would be a different style of bar tape. There are many available, from classic stiff cotton tape to squishy gel tape.

*If you can't move the stem after loosening the bolt, you have a stuck stem. You could try gently tapping the top of the bolt with a hammer to free the expansion wedge; sometimes this fixes the problem, other times you're screwed and need to take more extreme measures i.e. take it to a mechanic or just re-tighten the bolt and live with a frozen stem.

Anyone have experience with Scott road bikes? I am looking at a Speedster S20 but honestly have never heard a thing mentioned about Scott as far as their road bikes go.

So I posted this forever ago...

Review: I have had this bike do a minimum of 35 miles a day Monday-Friday 103 miles a day Saturday and Sunday. Since I bought it. Sick/tired/horrible divorce/job loss.

This is the best walk out of a store purchase I have ever made.

Stay riding GAF

Down to my final three choices. Edit - Scratch that, just the two now.

Whyte T-130 C RS
7f7IaA9.jpg

Canyon Spectral CF 9.0 SL
RK7qWIA.jpg

Just waiting to hear back about crash replacement stuff / warranty to help with the decision. Whyte would be single ring only... which might make some of my local trails extremely hard to get to the top of, or have me doing blender legs to get any decent speed on the flats.

No, I considered it, but it's too long until the top one comes out, and I'm not convinced the bigger wheels are going to suit the tight trails I enjoy the most.

Mascot

No, I considered it, but it's too long until the top one comes out, and I'm not convinced the bigger wheels are going to suit the tight trails I enjoy the most.

I'd go for the Canyon then and spend the difference on hookers and coke.

Then you and your nephew can ride around like the Cymru Canyon Couple, or something.

trebbble

Down to my final three choices. Edit - Scratch that, just the two now.

Having rode neither, I'd go with the Canyon... seems like it gets decent reviews, and it's a looker. Besides, you wouldn't want to be labelled as a Whyte supremacist now, would you? :p

Have you had a chance to ride them both? What did you think of each?

Matte black bikes are the bestest of bikes.

As much as I like my Yeti teal, I have to agree with you! A matte bike can help with theft deterrence and can be a bit less eye catching in general. The only drawback is you may be bit harder to spot on a trail in the woods :)

I also saw that Pinkbike reviewed the Bronson:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-cruz-bronson-review-2016.html

I'm starting to feel that my experience was out of character, and I've got to give it another ride. Maybe it was just set up incorrectly, because the bike they describe in that review doesn't sound like the one I rode.

There's another demo day around here on Tuesday, so I'm hoping to get another chance to ride it, weather and lines permitting.

Mascot

why is it always the mounter bikers who antagonize the roadies?

Not me! Anyone who goes toe-to-toe with cars and trucks on a daily basis is obviously dangerously insane and needs to be treated with the utmost respect from a safe distance.

:p

All of my climbing is to get me to a descent... and I hate all of it.

That's a lie, there is one climb in this world I enjoy... but it still gets me to a descent.

Edit - Unrelated, got a reply from Whyte and they don't offer discounted frames for crash replacement (they suggest insurance). Definitely has me leaning more towards Canyon now.

Mascot

Edit - Unrelated, got a reply from Whyte and they don't offer discounted frames for crash replacement (they suggest insurance). Definitely has me leaning more towards Canyon now.

You can't argue with the value that Canyon offer. If I was buying new I'd be looking at YT or Canyon.

Paul's Cycles still have carbon Cannondale Trigger 2s for half price (£2k) mind...
:p

I looked at the Capra, but it's a bit too much bike for my needs. If it was August right now (and I could try it), then I'd definitely be considering the Jeffsy.

I feel like I'm going in circles with saddles.

Right now in my possession I have a Fizik Aliante, Specialized Toupe and a Brooks Swift. The Aliante was driving me nuts this year, but I realized the seat angle was off and it's been getting better. I want to try and like the Brooks but the nose is so damn hard. The Toupe I was going to give it a go, but based on just sitting on it's not going to do well for gravel rides or longer (4+ hours) days.

I'm going to laugh if the whole time my Aliante was off because of seat angle. I had some geometry changes (bars dropped, seat went up) but I still put in 800+ miles and did 10 hours on it last year so it's been perplexing what went so wrong. Only thing I've settled on is the seat angle which I may have dipped too far down to compensate for the seat going up.

Wtf at the chain on the canyon? Wouldn't that be loud as hell, the ultimate chain rub?

Got doored yesterday on the way home. Saw this truck pulling out of a side street by a bar and just knew it was going to park in the bike lane.* Sure enough, it pulled up onto the curb and was half in the bike lane. I started to slow down but my disc breaks have been very sluggish lately^ and I could only slow down, not stop, so I tried to thread the needle between the truck and the traffic. The ruddy bastard opened his door and jumped out just seconds before I got there so I ran right into him! (Ok, so I was "humaned", not doored).

Hit him pretty hard too. Layed right into him too. "What the fuck is wrong with you? This is a bike lane, not a parking spot! And you're just going to open your motherfucking door without checking first? Jesus Christ, were you born in a barn?" Guy said a very hurried "sorry", jumped back up into his truck and shut the door, turning his truck back on to get the hell out of there.

Hilarious. Though I wonder if he stopped to talk to the person in the car his door hit...

* there used to be one or two parking spots but the city replaced and repainted the area last fall so it's been a bike lane for months. Doesn't stop people from parking in it, I've seen a car there on my rides home about two to three times a week.

^ so what do I do to make my brakes great again? I have the idea today to take my bike to the lbs and have them check them out. I'd usually do it myself but these are my first disc brakes and I haven't the foggiest. I figure they can give me a quick instructional and if I need new pads they will have the kind I need. Probably for a premium but that's what you get.

Chain noise really isn't that big a thing when you're already smashing around on ground so rough you can barely stay on the bike.

I don't think it's necessary these days with thick / thin and clutch mechs though.

I have the first of two fairly long prep rides this weekend, which I'm undertaking in the hope that it'll get me ready for trying to keep up with two CX nutters at the Dorset Gravel Dash at the end of the month.

I'll be doing a form of hill repeats with my riding partner (basically on any hill I'll set out at full speed, then when I get to the top I'll turn around, go back down to wherever he's made it to, then set off up the hill again). Will be interesting to see how our mileages / elevation compare by the end.

Teggy

Did a 34 mile club ride today and handled it pretty well. Not thinking, I went out with the first group and was dropped pretty quickly. I hooked up with the second group and was able to have some company for the rest of the ride. I'm a 15 mph rider right now and should pick my companions accordingly.

I also went through a bottle of energy drink and a bottle of water in the 2.25 hours so I need to keep in mind for rides longer than 30 miles I should plan on stopping for a refill.

Mascot

Did my normal 25 miles of woodland trails this morning and blew my knee in a particularly sticky section. Currently trying to anesthetise it with cold beer and BBQ steak, but it still hurts like a mofo.

Priz

I haven't had a bike in forever... My uncle picked up a pedal assist one and is riding daily so I have been considering maybe a hybrid to ride around, maybe commute to work with.

Saw on Craigslist there's a local refurbished bike shop having a moving sale and they just relocated close to me so I went and checked it out. Any of them over $500 the guy includes a 5 year maintenance plan. Of all the ones he shows me I like the feel/ride on a used Cannondale Adventure 600 which has a bit of wear but he tells me it'll last years as it's a solid bike. He wants $700 which is a bit more than I planned/want to spend but if it will last...

Bike on the left. Can't easily see the tears on the seat or other scuffs in the shade...

Later when I was home I looked at and saw this - http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searchlistingdetail.aspx?id=95991

Which makes me feel like I might be getting taken if I buy it... Any input/suggestions?

Shoulder blade / whatever it is just completely went on a ride (was injured before I went out). Had to dose up like mad on co-codamol just to get through it. Concerningly, even though I've taken as much as I can take, it's still extremely painful.

Really fucking depressed. Looks like no weights or riding for quite some time.

HTupolev

Shoulder blade / whatever it is just completely went on a ride (was injured before I went out). Had to dose up like mad on co-codamol just to get through it. Concerningly, even though I've taken as much as I can take, it's still extremely painful.

Really fucking depressed. Looks like no weights or riding for quite some time.
Custom-kitted-out trike.

No hands on the turbo trainer.

Afro

Here's my ('68/'69?) Sears & Roebuck Spyder. Yeah, I ride it. No trailer queen here. New tires/brakes!

• 5 speed stick shifter
• Dual rear brakes
• Original, working speedometer/odometer
• Skunk cabbage

Top Bottom