• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

Shoulder blade / whatever it is just completely went on a ride (was injured before I went out). Had to dose up like mad on co-codamol just to get through it. Concerningly, even though I've taken as much as I can take, it's still extremely painful.

Really fucking depressed. Looks like no weights or riding for quite some time.

Oof! How are you gonna ease that guilt now? Burning matches under the fingernails?

Get well soon mofo - being injured in summer sucks greasy goat balls.

The Argus

Here's my ('68/'69?) Sears & Roebuck Spyder. Yeah, I ride it. No trailer queen here. New tires/brakes!

• 5 speed stick shifter
• Dual rear brakes
• Original, working speedometer/odometer
• Skunk cabbage

Damn that is awesome! I love seeing old well maintained bikes like this. Is this a family heirloom or did you find it beat up and clean her up?

Afro

Damn that is awesome! I love seeing old well maintained bikes like this. Is this a family heirloom or did you find it beat up and clean her up?

Thanks! I bought it off eBay maybe 10 years ago, but I didn't really appreciate it at the time because I was just a kid. Dragged it out of storage and restored the hell out of it. Appears to have been garage kept its entire life b/c there's virtually zero rust. Even had the original redline tires on it.

These Sears Spyders are overshadowed by the coveted Schwinn Stingrays though, sadly.

Teggy

Shoulder blade / whatever it is just completely went on a ride (was injured before I went out). Had to dose up like mad on co-codamol just to get through it. Concerningly, even though I've taken as much as I can take, it's still extremely painful.

Really fucking depressed. Looks like no weights or riding for quite some time.

Can you ride a trainer?
Or a road bike?

I had a Stingray, looked pretty much exactly like this
1976-Schwinn-Sting-Ray-300x239.jpg

But it is loooooong gone.

I haven't had a bike in forever... My uncle picked up a pedal assist one and is riding daily so I have been considering maybe a hybrid to ride around, maybe commute to work with.

Saw on Craigslist there's a local refurbished bike shop having a moving sale and they just relocated close to me so I went and checked it out. Any of them over $500 the guy includes a 5 year maintenance plan. Of all the ones he shows me I like the feel/ride on a used Cannondale Adventure 600 which has a bit of wear but he tells me it'll last years as it's a solid bike. He wants $700 which is a bit more than I planned/want to spend but if it will last...

Bike on the left. Can't easily see the tears on the seat or other scuffs in the shade...

Later when I was home I looked at and saw this - http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searchlistingdetail.aspx?id=95991

Which makes me feel like I might be getting taken if I buy it... Any input/suggestions?

That,to me, looks like a $300 bike.

Priz

Thanks for the input guys. I truly appreciate it. I want something I'll be happy with and the more I learn the less happy I am about this "moving sale" deal I was offered.

Mascot

Slathered my 'blown' knee in ibuprofen gel last night and went out for a gentle loosener, only intending to ride a mile down to the beach and back. The knee felt okay though so ended up doing 25 miles around the woods, and there doesn't seem to be an adverse reaction today. Woo, as they say, hoo.

Came across a gravity-defying snapped tree, seemingly held up by a sliver of bark. Very odd.

tree_zps39dguwq0.jpg

Chris R

So after two rides this past weekend I think my seat was adjusted down during the spring maintenance/tune up.

Is there a best method to get it back to where it should be or do I just need to tweak it and ride it until it feels right?

HTupolev

So after two rides this past weekend I think my seat was adjusted down during the spring maintenance/tune up.

Is there a best method to get it back to where it should be or do I just need to tweak it and ride it until it feels right?
For most people, while cruising along, your knees should have just a slight bend at the bottom of the stroke.

One rough rule of thumb is to sit in the saddle and put a heel down onto a pedal in the six o'clock position; if the heel just barely sits on the pedal when your leg is totally straight, you're probably pretty close to the correct saddle height.

Chris R

For most people, while cruising along, your knees should have just a slight bend at the bottom of the stroke.

One rough rule of thumb is to sit in the saddle and put a heel down onto a pedal in the six o'clock position; if the heel just barely sits on the pedal when your leg is totally straight, you're probably pretty close to the correct saddle height.

I think I can go up an inch+ then...

I'll bring up seat adjustment as part of the spring tuneup at the local bike shop next time I'm in for a part or tuning.

What works for me as a baseline is measuring your inner leg (stand against a wall, shove a book between your legs and measure from the floor to the top edge of book) and multiplying it by 0.883.

That result then is the distance from the middle of your crank axle to the top of the saddle.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Used a company perk to get a $90 tune up for $30, but then ended up getting a new chain, new brake cables and a bunch of other essential tweaks.

Feels like a new bike.

Lombax

Banned
Good morning bike GAF,

I'm looking for some advice on choosing a mountain bike. I am planning on using this bike primarily on the trail system behind my house. The trails going from my yard are full of rocks, roots, and small streams, but once I am past that the main route I will be taking is a packed dirt road.
I mainly want to use this bike as the primary way to get my cardio in before lifting weights, and trail running is no longer a viable option for me. I'm sure there will be instances where I go on longer rides, but those will be few and far between at the moment.

I am having a very difficult time choosing between the following bikes, so I am looking for recommendations on a solid mid level mountain / trail bike.
The only thing I want to make sure it has are hydraulic disk breaks. Here is my short list at the moment:

Specialized Rockhopper

Specialized Rockhopper Sport

Specialized Pitch Sport

Is there one out of that list that stands out? Any other recommendations (I'm not beholden to any particular manufacturer)?

Thank you

Cheap bike situation in the US is awful. Of those I'd probably go for the Rockhopper Sport... though I'd arguably consider paying a bit more for something like a Trek Marlin 7 or a Trek X-Caliber 7 / 8.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Cheap bike situation in the US is awful. Of those I'd probably go for the Rockhopper Sport... though I'd arguably consider paying a bit more for something like a Trek Marlin 7 or a Trek X-Caliber 7 / 8.

Internet bikes are solid enough. Get good parts and decent frames. Like stuff from Airborne or Bikesdirect.

Lombax

Banned

Thanks very much, I'll have a look at the Trek's as well. I am OK with spending a bit more if it gets me a bike I will not outgrow soon.

[edit] Thank you very much for recommending the Marlin 7! I'll have a look at it today at a local shop, looks like it might be the one!

Look at the models I've suggested for what I'd generally consider reasonable entry level kit. Ideally you'd want an full air fork rather than a coil (not absolute requirement). SRAM X something / Shimano Deore gearing. Shimano Alivio is acceptable as the absolute lowest end.

Same as the gearing in general. SRAM X something or Shimano Deore ideally.

Actual BB not that important. Hollowtech II is popular. Shimano Octolink spline fine too (just about).

Single ring cyclocrosser is the best modification ever! It's like a mountain bike and a road bike in one, it's mindboggling.

Actual benefits are 500g less weight, easier shifts, better chainline and best of all a silent drivetrain that needs no adjusting.

There is one con, the low gear is a smidgen too tall. It could be fixed with loads of cash or just getting fitter.

Teggy

Quick question, I've found that I hear my chain rubbing when I am on my big ring and at least a couple gears on the cassette before I'd be technically cross-chaining. Is that normal or should it be adjusted?

Quick question, I've found that I hear my chain rubbing when I am on my big ring and at least a couple gears on the cassette before I'd be technically cross-chaining. Is that normal or should it be adjusted?

Rubbing on what? It could be the front derailleur hanger.

Cross chaining is a thing some don't stress over as much but eh.

It should be adjusted, though some road bikes have trim on the front derailleur which basically means they've been designed to rub until you give it a sort of half shift.

HTupolev

Either it should be adjusted or you can figure out if your current adjustment already allows you to deal with it with trim (I'm going to guess no, but it wouldn't hurt to fiddle with it).

Note that riding on big sprockets tends to make a lot of noise regardless, though.

If you want to never ever have adjustment issues with a front shifter, disconnect your shift cable from the brifter and shove something like this on your bars.

HTupolev

I don't know what most people call it but it's what's called the cage in this picture
Yeah, I think TarpitCarnivore meant cage. If your bike has an FD hanger and the chain is somehow rubbing it, things have gone catastrophically wrong in a way that I can't even begin to visualize.

I think what's happening is as the angle closes as I go into lower gears, the chain starts rubbing on the inside.
Probably, that's a pretty typical thing.

trebbble

Good morning bike GAF,

Any other recommendations (I'm not beholden to any particular manufacturer)?

There's a bunch of good recommendations from the crew in here, but I'd also look at the Kona Unit since you're interested in fitness.

It's a chromoly frame that is much more compliant than aluminum, and while it is bare bones to start, the frame is solid and you can upgrade it as needed. It's a single speed, so it will give you a great cardio workout.

I've had mine for a few years and love it. I put a derailleur on mine during the summer time and keep it as a single speed in the winter. I use it on easy to moderate trails, and for commuting as well. I'm considering throwing a front fork on it, but I'm enjoying the chromo front fork too much. Maybe in another year or so.

If you're serious about mountain biking, it will be a great place to start as it forces you to pick your lines during climbs and descents, ultimately making you a better rider when you graduate to a hardtail or full suspension.

It might not be up your alley, but I thought I'd throw it out there as a little something different :)

Teggy

OK, so I've got some minor bursitis and its appearance just so happens to coincide with me starting to bike again. Part of me thinks it's just from doing a little too much biking without easing back into it, but PT's anti-clipless pedal lectures also have me a little paranoid. I have Shimano 105 SPD-SLs and they have a lot of float, but could they be to blame?

I think I definitely need to either have my cleats adjusted or some inserts because I have been getting cramping on the outside of my foot, but I don't know if that would be related to stress on the knee at all.

It's almost certainly too much too soon... but even with that said, you should really consider getting a proper cleat fitting. It shouldn't cost much, and your knees are almost certainly worth it.

Inserts too. I swore by my Specialized BG SLs.

Teggy

It's almost certainly too much too soon... but even with that said, you should really consider getting a proper cleat fitting. It shouldn't cost much, and your knees are almost certainly worth it.

Inserts too. I swore by my Specialized BG SLs.

OK, I should go back in and chat with them about it. they did a basic fitting when I bought my shoes and pedals but nothing elaborate. I actually have Specialized shoes which are supposed to have an insert that is angled a bit higher on the outside but I would definitely be interested in ones that are best for my feet. $30 seems like a good investment if its going to feel good riding.

My 2x10 on the mountain bike is adjusted so that that there's zero rub. I was never able to do it with the 3x9 I used to have, or the 2x10 on my road bike.

Sadly I couldn't go single ring on the rides I do. Would definitely consider it for an enduro bike though.

OK, so I've got some minor bursitis and its appearance just so happens to coincide with me starting to bike again. Part of me thinks it's just from doing a little too much biking without easing back into it, but PT's anti-clipless pedal lectures also have me a little paranoid. I have Shimano 105 SPD-SLs and they have a lot of float, but could they be to blame?

I think I definitely need to either have my cleats adjusted or some inserts because I have been getting cramping on the outside of my foot, but I don't know if that would be related to stress on the knee at all.

Where is the pain? The point of pain will dictate what you should do with the cleats.

Teggy

Where is the pain? The point of pain will dictate what you should do with the cleats.

Outside edge of the foot in the arch area. One explanation I read (could be wrong of course) is that the feet are not angled correctly, so the foot tenses up on the right side, cramping the muscle. There are a few other explanations and it seems to be fairly common.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I've had that from hard climbs but it has always been super brief.

One or two days and unlike shin splints doesn't flare up again from repeating the activity.

Teggy

I've had that from hard climbs but it has always been super brief.

One or two days and unlike shin splints doesn't flare up again from repeating the activity.

No, this has been sticking around a bit. Of course I have noticed it doing squats at the gym so I have to be a little careful what I am doing there as well.

robox

hello, a long overdue hangage pic
wkjZHGo.jpg

finished building it last week, and have taken a few rides now
its my new city runabout!

Top Bottom